PDA

View Full Version : New P30 causing dimpled primers

James
10-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I have a new P30 with 400 rounds through it, and the spent primers don't look normal to me. If you take a close look at the pics, you will see an "extra" dimple, next to the firing pin strike dimple. The ammo is all factory Federal AE 124gr FMJ. I just got through shooting a few rounds through the gun with cases marked with a sharpie, and that small dimple is toward top of the case, as it sits in the chamber. This didn't look normal to me, but since this is my first HK, I thought I would ask.
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/8250/img0001jf.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img803/3158/img0008hu.jpg

secondstoryguy
10-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Interesting. In some guns,specifically 1911s, that can indicate a timing issue. I just looked at some of my brass(WWB and reloads) from my P30s and they had no such markings. I wouldn't freak out about it but it would probably be worth contacting them.

James
10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Interesting. In some guns,specifically 1911s, that can indicate a timing issue. I just looked at some of my brass(WWB and reloads) from my P30s and they had no such markings. I wouldn't freak out about it but it would probably be worth contacting them.
Thanks...I'm thinking timing issue also. Weak spring maybe..I'm not worried about it, I talked to Jeff at HK CS, about an hour ago, and he wanted to see the pics. I sent the pics in a email, but probably won't hear anything until tomorrow.

James
10-12-2012, 11:29 AM
FYI..Here is the response from HK.

Subject: Fw: ATTN. Jeff New P30 V3 Causing Dimpled Primers
Date: October 12, 2012 10:53:54 AM CDT
To: James ...

Mr.

This type of primer indentation is perfectly NORMAL. It is caused by the firing pin remaining forward (protruding through the f. pin hole) as the slide recoils and the extractor & ejector turning the shell to eject the empty casing as the casehead is still against the breech face.

HK Customer Service
5675 Transport Blvd.
Columbus, GA 31907
Tel: (706) 568-1906
Fax: (706) 568-9151
www.hk-usa.com

BLR
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I think that is more likely caused by the barrel tilting during unlocking rather than an ejector/extractor issue. Ejection, at least as far as i know, wouldn't cause that. However, as the barrel lowers relative to the breech face during unlocking, will push the case down toward the mag well, wiping the primer against the firing pin if it isn't retracted.

Just my $0.02.

gtmtnbiker98
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
And as you gain shooting experience, you'll quickly learn that other makes also leave this type of impression on spent primers. When I ran a Glock, it left similar marks on my primers. All of my P30s, P2000SKs, and HK45s leave a similar mark.

James
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
And as you gain shooting experience, you'll quickly learn that other makes also leave this type of impression on spent primers.
Yeah, I imagine, you hit the nail squarely on the head. ;) I use to shoot bullseye with big bore revolvers, and I don't enjoy shooting the big blasters as much as I did when I was 30 or 40 or even 50.
I don't have nearly as mush experience with semi-autos, in fact the P30 is just the fourth semi that I have owned. The first is an old Colt Commander that was my dad's carry in WW2, and I don't shoot that one much, because I want to leave that in original condition, and pass it down to my son. The second is a Kimber Custom, that I shoot pretty well. The third was a Beretta 96, and I could never learn to shoot that one with any consistency, in fact, that gun seemed to have more recoil than my Kimber .45. I decided to buy a 9mm after reading some of DocGKR's posts on this site, pertaining to terminal ballistics. My only regret is, why did I wait so long. The 9mm is just a lot of fun to shoot! My wife wants a P30 also, so now looks like I'm gonna have to pony up another $800.00.
I can see that I'm gonna have drag out my reloading eq, feeding the pistols is gonna get expensive.