PDA

View Full Version : MLok install tips

Pnut
02-13-2023, 03:22 PM
I’m new to the Mlok world, but I recently installed an Mlok rail on my AR. I did all the research on installing Mlok accessories and the one that seemed to work best was to tighten down the Mlok nut before install, place it in the rail, loosen till it spins freely, then tighten down.

This technique worked on most of the parts, but a few would not turn completely and lock in place correctly. So I figured out another tip to make install easier.

I placed a strong magnet on the Allen wrench that would hold the screw. After dropping the accessory into the rail, place the magnetized tool into the screw. As you tighten, slightly lifting UP on the screw with the magnetized tool will help seat the nut in the rail slot, making correct lock up.

I don’t know if I invented this tip, but feel free to try it out!

HeavyDuty
02-13-2023, 03:48 PM
That’s a great idea!

Darth_Uno
02-13-2023, 05:18 PM
That is a good idea on a tricky install.

Normally you can (sort of) see inside the handguard. I just rotate the screws and nuts to where they need to be, pull the attachment out towards myself (pulling them into the slots) and torque it to German specs (gutentight).

Pnut
02-13-2023, 06:20 PM
Before I did the magnet trick, I also tried turning the gun so the accessory was hanging on the bottom side and using gravity to seat the nut in the rail!!!

stomridertx
02-13-2023, 06:36 PM
Be really careful not to get any magnetized tools close to the bolt carrier group or the ejection port. Magnetizing those parts on accident can attract particles that you don't want in your action. It's more common than you think.
That aside, great tip as m-lok can be frustrating and the back out method doesn't always work.

Clusterfrack
02-13-2023, 07:29 PM
Be really careful not to get any magnetized tools close to the bolt carrier group or the ejection port. Magnetizing those parts on accident can attract particles that you don't want in your action. It's more common than you think.
That aside, great tip as m-lok can be frustrating and the back out method doesn't always work.

Very interesting. I’ve never heard about issues caused by magnetized BCGs, but it makes sense that it could cause issues and premature wear.

Do you have more info on this?

stomridertx
02-13-2023, 08:24 PM
Very interesting. I’ve never heard about issues caused by magnetized BCGs, but it makes sense that it could cause issues and premature wear.

Yes, search YouTube for the School of the American Rifle channel. On the videos where he gauges BCGs to see if they are in spec you'll see him check for magnetism and demagnetize if needed, and explain the issues with it. He says it happens a lot when guys take apart a BCG into a magnetic tray, something I used to be guilty of. If I get more time tonight I'll look in my history and try to find the exact video.

Pnut
02-13-2023, 08:26 PM
That is good info about magnetizing the BCG. I did my install with the rifle completed so I just checked and thankfully no magnetization to the BARREL or BCG! I guess the aluminum rail acted as a buffer zone. If I have to mount anything else in the future, I’ll remove the BCG and avoid hitting the barrel! Thanks!

titsonritz
02-13-2023, 10:01 PM

It is more of an issue with people using dogshit steel ammo.

Clusterfrack
02-13-2023, 11:31 PM
Yes, search YouTube for the School of the American Rifle channel. On the videos where he gauges BCGs to see if they are in spec you'll see him check for magnetism and demagnetize if needed, and explain the issues with it. He says it happens a lot when guys take apart a BCG into a magnetic tray, something I used to be guilty of. If I get more time tonight I'll look in my history and try to find the exact video.

It is more of an issue with people using dogshit steel ammo.

Makes sense. Now that I think about this a bit more...

"Wear products" are microscopic metal fragments that are produced by friction and impact. One of the purposes of oil lubricants is to encapsulate and wash away wear products so they don't create more friction, wear, and galling. If a surface is magnetic, that would attract ferrous wear products. Not good.

stomridertx
02-13-2023, 11:42 PM
I found a good video explaining magnetism problems in the BCG. Start at 2:03

https://youtu.be/mebExLuNDDQ?t=123