PDA

View Full Version : Glock 43x-best 10-round subcompact CCW?

gkieser92
02-12-2023, 01:29 AM
I happen to be sitting on a stack of Cabelas gift cards, and I'm thinking this may finally be the year to replace my 20-ish year old G27 for CCW. I have big hands and use pinky extenders on it. Due to some pending legislation (Oregon Ballot Measure 114) it could be illegal to leave the house in possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the near future. My understanding is that modified magazines, i.e. extended floor plates could also be illegal even if they still hold 10 or less. There's so much confusion and I don't want to be a test case. The G43x factory mags hold exactly 10 and will have a grip the same length as the G27 with pinky grips.

Has anyone made the jump from a G26 or 27 to a G43x (or MOS)? At Cabelas I can order one online, but then I'm buying it without being able to hold one. The gun counter had an hours-long wait last time I was in there, even if they had one in stock.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

PNWTO
02-12-2023, 02:39 AM
If you have experience with the G27, I would give the G26.5 thread a read. As someone who has had a 43 and 43X, I find they conceal no better than my G19. Obviously, that is very subjective to my body, dress, etc. I don’t have the 43/43X anymore but will order a G26.5 in the next few weeks.

I really think the G26 offers a good deal of performance over the slimline nines if the additional thickness is acceptable; plus, you already know the size.

I’m not a good shooter by P-F standards but looking at my logbook from a bit ago, my best Defoor quals (B-8 @25) were:

43X- 87 in 17 seconds
Borrowed G26.4- 93 in 16.3 seconds

CarloMNL
02-12-2023, 05:55 AM
Has anyone made the jump from a G26 or 27 to a G43x (or MOS)? At Cabelas I can order one online, but then I'm buying it without being able to hold one. The gun counter had an hours-long wait last time I was in there, even if they had one in stock.

I made the jump from a G43X to a G26 and don't regret it. Is a Pearce +0 base plate for your G27 magazines a viable solution?

RJ
02-12-2023, 06:12 AM
That sucks. Sorry you are in this situation.

I EDC'd a G26 gen 5 in a leather AOWB holster, with the 12 round OEM mag, from 2017-2018. I found the G26 heavy, relative to round capacity, and it didn't offer that much concealability over my G19, so I sold it. It was accurate and reliable.

I bought a G43X in 2019 evaluating it as a possible thin carry option. I shot it 600 rounds. To me, the 43X worst feature was it's felt recoil. It was a very snappy gun. I tried to tame it with a tungsten guide rod and while that helped, the gun was never pleasant to shoot. Compared to my G26, it was lighter, and much easier to carry. I eventually sold the G43X and moved on to something else.

Your thread title is "Glock 43x-best 10-round subcompact CCW?". Did you want input on that, or just the two guns you mentioned?

willie
02-12-2023, 06:35 AM
I have both pistols. The 26's weight is an advantage since it reduces felt recoil and allows making more accurate follow up shots.

Leroy Suggs
02-12-2023, 06:45 AM
I have migrated to the slim Glocks because of age and pain of carrying thicker heaver guns. G26, G19 etc.

I shoot and carry the 43, 43X, and 48 now

Some mentioned them being "snappy" I have not noticed that at all. Splits and scores with the 43X and 48 are about the same as the 26 and 19 for me. I like shooting them, especially the 48. RJ mut have been shooting proof loads:D:D
All three are reliable and accurate.

That being said I think the G26 is better than the slims if it does not cause a comfort problem.

fatdog
02-12-2023, 08:28 AM
This is a very individual thing. I like the G26 and it works for me from a shooting perspective, but I can conceal a G19 about as easily.

I tried a 43X and a 48 back when they came out, over 2,500 rounds into the experience I found I could not shoot them as well, and as cited they were not really any easier to conceal, at least for me.

I really had trouble with the thinner grip squirming on me from shot to shot and it did not put my finger in the same position as the full size 9mm glocks. On a full size glock 9mm I do my best work on a gen5 with a medium backstrap.

The only 10 round small 9mm I have found that actually lets me aproach shooting to my potential with a full size gun is the Sig p365 with a Wilson grip.

My glove size is xl/ between 10 and 11 but my fingers are thin.

Leroy Suggs
02-12-2023, 08:51 AM
fatdog You are right about it being an individual thing.
I wear the same size glove as you but have thick fingers Size 15 wedding band.
My trigger finger falls exactly where i want it. Right in the joint crease.
The 48 & 43X do not move or squirm for me.
The P365 squirms a lot for me. I hate shooting it.

HeavyDuty
02-12-2023, 09:48 AM
Have you ever tried a Geeplate? It’s not an extension so I’d think you wouldn’t run into issues, and I’ve found they are better for me than an extension on the short frame Glocks.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-12-2023, 10:02 AM
My limited experience with the 43 frame as a rental was on the squirmy side. Given I have a functional G26 Gen 3 I don't see an advantage as I carry OWB, physical reasons. The 26.5 is tempting but until the CCIA is resolved (diversion, cloud yelling) I'm not interested in new carry guns. Anway, keeping a common frame of 17, 26 works for me.

Gmac
02-12-2023, 10:02 AM
I have medium size glove hands and find the 43x grip to be just right. I have a Glock 27 but the 43x is my everyday carry. I’m one who obsesses over weight and combined with the slimmer profile, I can personally tell the size difference when compared to a Glock 27 being carried on the belt. Yes it is a tad snappier than a 19 or 17, but I really don’t find it to be significant. The only downside to the 43 and 43x for me is I tend to get slide bite more frequently than I do the larger guns.

HeavyDuty
02-12-2023, 10:26 AM
I was one of the people who were loudly calling for a G19 sized single stack - in my case since the mid 90s at least. And it figures, once the G48 came along and I bought one, I found the grip didn’t work well for me. The magazine baseplates are very uncomfortable, and it’s probably my least shot Glock, a G26 does everything I would use the G48 for. My G43X was very short lived for the same reason.

My advice is to shoot the G43X as much as you can before you commit.

Navin Johnson
02-12-2023, 10:28 AM
Go rent

Shield and 365 and 26 much preferred (owned all four)

The above should only really use 124 or lighter and no +p (except the 26 they seem to run anything) if it matters

If you ever wear gloves the 365 has a much larger trigger guard. The 43/43x/48 are very tight

For ME 43x was snappyest of Kahr, Shield, Shield+, LC9, and 365. 26 is much nicer recoil wise than thoes.

Good Luck

Brianjkeene
02-12-2023, 10:35 AM
I’m really enjoying being back in the 26.5 camp. My only complaint is I really must carry it with the 12rd extension or I have a hard time drawing the gun from AIWB. If a thin gun is a must then I really prefer the Shield plus over Glock slim lines and 365.

GAP
02-12-2023, 10:35 AM
Why not a P365XL with factory 10 round magazines?

With a dot, mine shoots as well as my G26.5. Not something I can say about the G43X.

Up1911Fan
02-12-2023, 10:49 AM
Go rent

Shield and 365 and 26 much preferred (owned all four)

The above should only really use 124 or lighter and no +p (except the 26 they seem to run anything) if it matters

If you ever wear gloves the 365 has a much larger trigger guard. The 43/43x/48 are very tight

For ME 43x was snappyest of Kahr, Shield, Shield+, LC9, and 365. 26 is much nicer recoil wise than thoes.

Good Luck

I've shot 147gr exclusively through my 5 P365 variants.

Navin Johnson
02-12-2023, 11:13 AM
I've shot 147gr exclusively through my 5 P365 variants.

then you should run 147’s

My statement is based on the threads in this very forum about the P365 and 43X/48. In those threads you’ll find posters who are involved in large organizations, testing those pistols, with various ammunition and the results. Also, some prolific shooters on this very forum, and what their experiences are using the above platforms. YMMV

My guess is if you run heavy recoiling loads in a given caliber, it would be prudent to replace recoil and magazine Springs frequently

Blades
02-12-2023, 11:15 AM
When they first came out I tried a 43x but the grip was too small(I use the large backstrap on a G19, and a medium backstrap on a G26). I tried a P365 and its grip was too small, but a Boresight Solutions Razorback grip module fixed it(I haven't tried a Wilson grip module so it may be a more economical option). Then I saw photos of grip/goon tape being used on grips and think it may have helped with the 43x/P365 grips.
If I had to carry the 43x I'd want a Razorback humped grip.

Up1911Fan
02-12-2023, 11:15 AM
then you should run 147’s

My statement is based on the threads in this very forum about the P365 and 43X/48. In those threads you’ll find posters who are involved in large organizations, testing those pistols, with various ammunition and the results. Also, some prolific shooters on this very forum, and what their experiences are using the above platforms. YMMV

My guess is if you run heavy recoiling loads in a given caliber, it would be prudent to replace recoil and magazine Springs frequently
I've also read those threads. Just sharing my experience with 147gr Lawman and Gold Dot.

Beat Trash
02-12-2023, 11:30 AM
I happen to be sitting on a stack of Cabelas gift cards, and I'm thinking this may finally be the year to replace my 20-ish year old G27 for CCW. I have big hands and use pinky extenders on it. Due to some pending legislation (Oregon Ballot Measure 114) it could be illegal to leave the house in possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds in the near future. My understanding is that modified magazines, i.e. extended floor plates could also be illegal even if they still hold 10 or less. There's so much confusion and I don't want to be a test case. The G43x factory mags hold exactly 10 and will have a grip the same length as the G27 with pinky grips.

If your hand size is such that you need a pinky extender on the Glock 27, going to a Glock 26 might not be an option for you.

I own a Glock 43x. I had a hard time holding onto the gun as it was just a bit too small for my hand size. I bought a set of the Talon rubber grip tape and that helped tremendously without any negative effects. But the gun is still a bit small in my hands. I wear XL gloves and have long fingers.

With that said, I struggle to shoot the 43x to the same level as a M&P Shield Plus. My biggest issue with the 43x is that the trigger beats up my trigger finger. I'm not really sure what is causing this. I do know that I just can't lock the 43x in my grip as solid as I can a full size pistol like the Glock 17/19. The Shield Plus has a grip that feels a bit wider, front to back, that I can lock the gun in my grip.

With all this said, I would find a way to rent and shoot the 43x before you buy if at all possible. The Glock 43x is a great gun. But just like most pistols, it doesn't fit everyone's hand.

echo5charlie
02-12-2023, 11:53 AM
https://www.glockstore.com/4-Magazine-Extension-for-G43X-48?quantity=1&custcol9=527

If the ability to increase magazine capacity over ten rounds is a deal-killer, then the 43X/48 is no more of an option for you than your G27.

mizer67
02-12-2023, 11:56 AM
I have a 43, but not 43X, a G48 and G19. I've had a 26, but no longer own one. I'm in Florida, so it's rare to be wearing anything heavier than a T-shirt, so the slimlines make some sense as they are a bit more comfortable and easier to conceal.

I like the 48, but the grip is a bit too narrow for my XL sized hands, both for trigger reach and "twist" in my hand, so I added a Hogue grip and that helped the issue. It didn't noticeably impact concealment or comfort. I didn't pick up a 43X because the G43 is pretty unpleasant to shoot, more like a J-frame and the extra grip wasn't going to solve that issue. I need the extra holster length of the 48 to push the grip back into my stomach anyway, so the 48 made sense and it's noticeably more pleasant to shoot than the 43.

I've recently taken up carrying a G19.5 vs. the 48, because I can shoot it better and it's winter, so concealment is less of an issue. Also because the LTT grip anchor solved some of what I dislike about the 19's grip, so I didn't mind shooting it more frequently. It's much easier to get a consistent grip on a G19 vs. the 48 without the aftermarket grip sleeve.

The 26, for me, doesn't offer enough of an advantage over the 19 to purchase one again. I always want a full fingered grip and my 26 was always wearing extended mags, so the difference was slight. It's too chunky to be a "Rule #1" or NPE gun, in my opinion so I don't find a role for it in my inventory. I do like the grip circumference of the 26 better than the slimlines due to trigger reach and consistency problems, but solved that issue with the aftermarket grip sleeve.

Jason M
02-12-2023, 12:06 PM

I tried jumping from the 26 to the 43x. It was a short trial period. Went back to the 26. It does more things better for me. My needs/wants my not be the same as yours.

willie
02-12-2023, 01:28 PM
As we age, weight and bulk become an issue for some of us. For me comfort has usurped logic. I like the 43x because it's light and handy. The same reasoning directed me this morning to strap on a J frame when I went out with my wife. As much as I hate to face facts, I'm approaching that time when I might cease to carry a weapon. Though I still have all my marbles, I'm physically weak. However, I recently began a physical therapy program that is yielding wonderful results. I exercise at home too.

Leroy Suggs
02-12-2023, 02:16 PM
willie "comfort has usurped logic". That is exactly why I am riding the slimline train.
No doubt in my mind that the 26/19 is better than the 43X/48, but the comfort usurps that fact so I go with the slims.

flux
02-12-2023, 03:00 PM
Another G48 carrier here. Found it much more comfy to shoot than than the G43 and also the G43X. It has not replaced my G26 or G19 but in my work attire did find the slimline seems to conceal better. I really do like the G48 and so far a few people who have tried it ended up committing to one. Stock mags in mine, just fiber sights.

RJ
02-12-2023, 03:10 PM
In the 43X vs 48 debate, I'm on the side of the 48, my personal experience with them notwithstanding. The 48 checked almost all the boxes for me; easy to shoot, accurate, slim, and easy to carry. Plus SCD. I think a stock 48 with irons or a 48 MOS with a decent optic is the best bet out of a choice of G26, G43X and G48.

willie
02-12-2023, 03:36 PM
In the 43X vs 48 debate, I'm on the side of the 48, my personal experience with them notwithstanding. The 48 checked almost all the boxes for me; easy to shoot, accurate, slim, and easy to carry. Plus SCD. I think a stock 48 with irons or a 48 MOS with a decent optic is the best bet out of a choice of G26, G43X and G48.

I have an as new night sight equipped 48MOS traded in by a nerd who said he couldn't hit anything with it. I'm toying with the idea of placing a small, green laser Streamlight weapon light on it. Then I could shoot rocks and dirt clods from the hip.😃 In my area certain folks refer to laser sights as a "beam" as in y'all got any beams here.

Clusterfrack
02-12-2023, 03:37 PM
Like gkieser92, I'm threatened by the OR measure 114 standard capacity magazine ban. I've thought quite a bit about it, believe me. Here's what I concluded:

If the 114 mag ban is allowed, most of the time I will keep carrying my preferred CCW, a CZ P-07 but with 10 round mags. I shoot a P-07 or G19 significantly better than a subcompact, and 5 less rounds won't change that. I might carry an extra reload though.

As a number of members already posted, I prefer the G26 to the 43 or 48. This is for several reasons: I shoot it well, it's very compact, highly reliable, and can use standard capacity G19 and G17 magazines. I don't have giant hands though, and if I did I might not make the same choice. (But people with giant hands typically prefer larger guns than the 48).

psalms144.1
02-12-2023, 03:57 PM
In 30+ years of shooting Glocks, the only 9mm Glocks that I never "meshed" with were the slimlines. Lack of texturing from the factory tends to make them very "squirmy" in recoil. And, while the G43X definitely carries "flatter" than a G19 (or G26), the length of the grip make is not significantly more "concealable" than the G19, and a lot LESS concealable than a G26.

If I were going to live in a 10-round only environment, I'd opt for a P365XL with neutered magazines. It gives plenty of grip length for me, shoots "softer" than the G43X, and is optics ready out of the box with direct-mount of Holosun 507K/EPS Carry.

Leroy Suggs
02-12-2023, 05:07 PM
A simple piece of 3M tape resolves the squirmy problem on the slimlines.

fatdog
02-12-2023, 07:47 PM
A simple piece of 3M tape resolves the squirmy problem on the slimlines.

sometimes, I did that on day one, a 360 wrap in fact, before I fired a shot and I still could not control that frame well shot to shot

1Rangemaster
02-12-2023, 07:48 PM
I have both, and carry both, but I’m wearing a G26 on my ankle as I type this. If you want, or foresee an optic in your future, the 43X has MOS (optic mounting) capability in the US. JMO, but if you have years of work with the subcompact, I’d say gravitate to the 26.
The Gen5 26 and the 43X can be shot equally well, practically speaking, in my experience. I would certainly echo the recommendation that you try for “feel”.
I liked the 43X feel, but I seem to shoot iron sights better with the 26.
I can wear a 26 on belt or ankle, and can drop it in a big pocket. I run mine usually with non +P ammo, as I believe the short barrels don’t need the extra blast. It’s a pistol, and placement is paramount. And if you get into a free situation again, you can run bigger mags!
If I was limited to one, I’d probably end up with my 5th generation 26 with the orange Bold night sights.

gkieser92
02-13-2023, 12:38 AM
Your thread title is "Glock 43x-best 10-round subcompact CCW?". Did you want input on that, or just the two guns you mentioned?[/QUOTE]

Basically my question is if a G43x is a step up from the G27 in terms of concealability and shootability. The G27 is a .40, so it does recoil a but, but I've shot it so long I'm used to it. I will lose the benefit of higher capacity mag compatibility if the new law kicks in, and would prefer to not use reduced capacity ban mags.

I've also been looking at the Sig P365, but it's standard capacity is 12.

RJ
02-13-2023, 07:03 AM
I've also been looking at the Sig P365, but it's standard capacity is 12.

Ah gotcha. The standard capacity of the P365 is 12? I'm assuming this is just a typo, as the standard capacity of the P365 is 10 rounds. The P365XL is 12 rounds...same as the P365X. The P365 Macro is 17 rounds...it does get a bit confusing, for sure. Sig makes a 10 round magazine...for the P365XL:

https://osagecountyguns.com/sig-sauer-p365xl-9mm-magazine-10rd.html

Many find the Wilson Combat grip module a worthwhile addition at $65...It's available sized for the P365 and P365XL magazines.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/GRIP-MODULE-WCP365-NO-MANUAL-SAFETY-BLACK/productinfo/365-SB/

Rex G
02-13-2023, 11:18 AM
Carry a slimmer-grip model because it works better in your individual, personal hands, not because it will “conceal” any better. The slight difference in width measurement is not the most critical; all Glocks are boxy, at the rear of the slide. I do not have large hands, and a Gen4 or Gen5 G26 is “just right,” for me. Others’ hands will vary.

Another reason for a “just right,” hand-filling defensive gun, is that it helps in achieving a repeatable draw. A too-narrow gun, or a too-wide gun, can make it necessary to re-establish a better grip, during the draw stroke. The too-narrow part has been a fault of several single-column-mag compact pistols that I have owned.

Leroy Suggs
02-13-2023, 11:28 AM
A short grip like the G26 can make draws from aiwb inconsistent too.

Clusterfrack
02-13-2023, 11:44 AM
...I will lose the benefit of higher capacity mag compatibility if the new law kicks in, and would prefer to not use reduced capacity ban mags.

I hear you. I hate the idea of "neutered" mags. But, as long as the 10 rounders are reliable I'm ok with using them. Some reduced cap mags are GTG, and some aren't. (I won't use mags with a shortened mag tube and spring.)

If the BS measure goes through, it allows use of standard cap mags on my property and while coyote hunting.

camsdaddy
02-13-2023, 02:03 PM
You may find the 26 easier to grip and maintain grip than the 27 due to reduced recoil.

I have shot and carried a 26 off and on for years. I always seek a better option. I recently purchased a P365. The P365 is perfect on paper but for me I shoot it low and I am not willing to retrain to shoot it properly. I shoot my 26 and my J frames quite well. I had hopes of the 365 replacing both. The 26 for me is a small AIWB option and the J frame is a pocket or AIWB.

mizer67
02-13-2023, 10:18 PM
You may find the 26 easier to grip and maintain grip than the 27 due to reduced recoil.

I have shot and carried a 26 off and on for years. I always seek a better option. I recently purchased a P365. The P365 is perfect on paper but for me I shoot it low and I am not willing to retrain to shoot it properly. I shoot my 26 and my J frames quite well. I had hopes of the 365 replacing both. The 26 for me is a small AIWB option and the J frame is a pocket or AIWB.

Sorry for the thread drift and if you knew this already, but the Sigs sights are set up to shoot low if you use the top of the front sight blade.

It's a "line up the three dots" sight picture for the P365. Don't like the hold, change the sights.

Salamander
02-13-2023, 10:53 PM
A few thoughts from a mag restriction state (California):

A 43x or a gen 5 anything isn't an option here because of the roster, at least for however long that pair of cases takes to work through the courts or unless one is willing to pay way too much from a private party. So I won't attempt to speak to those.

However I just bought another G26.3 after a few years without a single Glock. The rationale is 1) the G26 is typically reliable with OEM 10-round mags, and the G19 et al often aren't with carry HP ammo in 10-round mags; and 2) a Glock is easy and cost effective to get milled for a dot, which some of my other carry options aren't. Only a week and 120 rounds in, so far am liking the G26.

camsdaddy
02-14-2023, 06:33 AM
Sorry for the thread drift and if you knew this already, but the Sigs sights are set up to shoot low if you use the top of the front sight blade.

It's a "line up the three dots" sight picture for the P365. Don't like the hold, change the sights.

I shoot all of my pistols with the dot where I want the bullet or covering target. I have not completely given up on it. It’s just going to take some work.

crosseyedshooter
06-05-2023, 10:44 AM
I'm seeing Glock 43X MOS online for $400. Although I'm invested in the P365, I'm tempted to give one a try and grab some PSA Dagger mags to go with. Is there any reason they've dropped to such a low price? Very hard to resist!

G19Fan
06-05-2023, 11:35 AM
I'm seeing Glock 43X MOS online for $400. Although I'm invested in the P365, I'm tempted to give one a try and grab some PSA Dagger mags to go with. Is there any reason they've dropped to such a low price? Very hard to resist!

I would say jaut stay with the p365. But if you decide g43x qnd wanna remove your p364 give me a shout ahha