PDA

View Full Version : Mag button/lever Thumb or trigger finger

Slavex
03-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Last night at class a few students and I started talking about which is better the old standard button vs HK levers for mag releases and also which digit to use thumb or trigger finger. I mentioned that I'd only just learned that Todd had been using his trigger finger with his Beretta and M&P back in the day, and was surprised by that. Of course speed is the issue that seemed to be the forefront of the discussion and my opinion was that neither technique or device is the limiting factor when changing mags. It is the speed with which you can get to your mag pouch, draw the fresh mag and get it in the gun that determines your reload time. The important thing is to be proficient with your method of release. I find the button activated by my thumb works best for me, but I have big hands and don't have an issue reaching the button on most guns. In my limited time using HKs or Walthers I found my thumb preferable but didn't have a hard time getting used to using my trigger finger either.
Thoughts?

Pistol Shooter
03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
I use my trigger finger to release the magazines on my HK pistols. :)

MTechnik
03-27-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm a lefty in a right hand world. I've found using the trigger finger works just fine, since so many guns are righty-oriented.

zml342
03-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I've become so accustomed to using my trigger finger on my HK that I found it difficult to use my thumb when shooting my friend's Glock. I also have smaller hands, so being able to use the paddle release with my trigger finger allows me to keep my grip the same.

gtmtnbiker98
03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I use my trigger finger and would personally never revert back to a thumb mag release setup. Everything I own is HK. May get a PPS down the road and thankfully, it also has a paddle mag release.

jslaker
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Started shooting seriously with my USPc, though it took me a while to figure out that it's easiest to actuate the paddle with your trigger finger. After I got used to it, though, I fell in love. Enough so that I reversed the release on my P226 to match it.

dookie1481
03-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I prefer the trigger finger now.

Not necessarily because it's faster (though it is for me), but because I have midget hands and had trouble consistently re-establishing a good grip after shifting the gun in my hands to hit the mag release.

ToddG
03-28-2011, 12:54 AM
dookie hit the nail on the head. It's not so much about speed as it as establishing a solid shooting grip after the reload. If I don't have to shift my shooting hand to release the mag or drop the slide, then I eliminate one possible fumble or error (reestablishing the grip).

GJM
03-28-2011, 01:39 AM
I use both -- my trigger finger and thumb together. Is that unusual?

I just got back to the hotel after a night shoot at a Pat Rogers carbine class, and there are probably more HK shooters than any other brand in the class.

ericf
04-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Has there been any trials / tribulations of maintaining the strong hand grip and using the weak hand (thumb) to drop the mag while the hand is in route for the new mag?
I've played with this format and found that it works pretty good for both the retention of the mag as well as dropping it to the ground. I can even keep the sight picture (almost) while performing this. However, I don't. I prefer to have the pistol slightly angled at chin height, looking into the mag well, while changing mags.
I don't know if this is very fast by comparison, I'm too new to this game to be concerned about speed. But the strong hand grip never changes or moves.

My thumbs are too short to reach the mag release in a conventional manner. I have to roll the pistol in the strong hand to access the release. This isn't a bad thing for me. I just found that I never seem to be able to reacquire the same grip after rolling the pistol for the change.
I'm still adjusting / trying things to discover what works and what doesn't (for me).

Any thoughts or comments??
Sorry for the "sidestepping" of the thread. My apologies to the O.P.

I'm a "senior", so anything derogatory that's stated won't hurt my feelings. I'm always open to learning and listening.