PDA

View Full Version : Platypus - a 1911 that takes G17 magazines

HeavyDuty
02-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Now this is interesting. It looks like it has a standard 1911 grip angle, so I have to wonder about feed reliability.

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus

BillSWPA
02-02-2023, 08:20 AM
Now this is interesting. It looks like it has a standard 1911 grip angle, so I have to wonder about feed reliability.

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus

Isn’t the difference in the grip angle only 4 degrees? Is it possible that the grip angle matches a Glock, but does not appear that much different from a 1911?

Texaspoff
02-02-2023, 08:35 AM
I can see it is raked back a hair more than a standard 1911. I can appreciate the fact Glock mags are super reliable, but it is also the Glock biggest weakness as it prevents them from slimming up their design because of the polymer sleeve and the width.

At least they didn't keep the Glock hump. The hump is actually the biggest issue with the Glock grip, not the grip angle. The hump causes the backstrap and front strap to be out of alignment, and that is the root cause of the Glock grip complaint.

When I reduce the grip, specifically the backstrap, it brings the front and back into closer alignment and makes the grip feel more normal.

This is what Shadow System, Polymer 80 and several of the other companies that produce Glock clones are doing.

From my understanding and what a few of my sources have told me is this is one of the things that will be addressed on the Gen 6 models. There are a few other revisions that are supposed to be done as well. We will have to wait and see if they do actually do it. FWIW, these revisions if true, will not effect holster fitment, and they will still be able to use current magazines and all aftermarket products. The revisions are addressing ergonomics in the Glock grip and not design changes.

TXPO

Elwin
02-02-2023, 09:00 AM
They get a B+ from me based on the name alone. Make it run good and that’ll bump up to at least an A-

feudist
02-02-2023, 12:51 PM
They get a B+ from me based on the name alone. Make it run good and that’ll bump up to at least an A-

True that. I'm grateful it's not the Operator As Fuck Tango Smoker. With a CAGRUSOC signature edition.

RevolverRob
02-02-2023, 01:03 PM
I'd have a hard time on the jury convicting a guy, who was demonstrably sober and "killed someone with a Platypus".

I bet these sell well in Florida. Because Florida-man.

45dotACP
02-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Haha Smith and Wesson are punching their pillows right now

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

cyberiad
02-02-2023, 05:14 PM
I'd have a hard time on the jury convicting a guy, who was demonstrably sober and "killed someone with a Platypus".

I bet these sell well in Florida. Because Florida-man.

Does Florida-man even know what a Platyus is? I'll wait for the Capybara.

Elwin
02-02-2023, 06:03 PM
Looking at the photos, I agree that it's a Glock grip angle. I also think it looks like they did a good job taking advantage of aluminum vs. polymer grip construction to slim it down. It doesn't look even as chunky as a traditional 2011 grip, and honestly looks just fine to me, aside from the one quibble of that back and bottom part of the grip looking a bit sharp for carry.

I'd love to see one for G19 mags and with some more thought given to shaping that rear of the grip. Anyone know anything about the company, specifically their reputation for making things that work?

Totem Polar
02-02-2023, 07:08 PM
I have to say… somewhat trepidatiously… if the rest of the gun is a decent 1911 iteration, and runs… I could see this in my future, because, tubs o’ mags.

Moped
02-02-2023, 07:26 PM
You can see the difference in the grip angle right here.

https://www.stealtharms.net/c/custom-1911-pistols

One wonders if it's really a 1911, if it accepts a Glock mag?

Le Français
02-02-2023, 07:40 PM
And here I was just thinking about getting back into Limited Minor with a G17, using my pile of extended mags...

Totem Polar
02-02-2023, 07:46 PM
One wonders if it's really a 1911, if it accepts a Glock mag?

If it looks like a 1911, swims like a 1911, and quacks like a 1911, it’s probably a 1911.

;)

WobblyPossum
02-02-2023, 07:52 PM
What do we know about Stealth Arms? Is it a solid company? Can they make a reliable and durable gun?

zaitcev
02-02-2023, 07:58 PM
What do we know about Stealth Arms? Is it a solid company? Can they make a reliable and durable gun?

Stealth Arms became most known for completely revolutionizing the 80% 1911 scene with their jigs and methods. Before, anyone making a 1911 from a kit had to be a real gunsmith, getting everything square and lapping rails. But Stealth Arms guys invented what amounts a broaching jig for rails, which required no skill, only patience. Once you set everything up, it was just crunch, crunch, crunch... adjust a quarter turn... crunch, crunch, crunch... another adjust... repeat until done. Obviously I exaggerate a little for Internet, you cannot be a complete monkey with any 1911, but you get the picture I hope.

WobblyPossum
02-02-2023, 08:31 PM
Stealth Arms became most known for completely revolutionizing the 80% 1911 scene with their jigs and methods. Before, anyone making a 1911 from a kit had to be a real gunsmith, getting everything square and lapping rails. But Stealth Arms guys invented what amounts a broaching jig for rails, which required no skill, only patience. Once you set everything up, it was just crunch, crunch, crunch... adjust a quarter turn... crunch, crunch, crunch... another adjust... repeat until done. Obviously I exaggerate a little for Internet, you cannot be a complete monkey with any 1911, but you get the picture I hope.

That’s pretty neat. Maybe this thing will actually work.

JCN
02-03-2023, 08:19 PM
Veeeerrrrrry tempted.....

spyderco monkey
02-03-2023, 10:53 PM
It's the 1911 that takes Glock mags I've long dreamed of, so stoked.

Theres also going to be an optics ready version:

https://cdn7.coreware.com/cache/image-full-327561-88316e39c2987779f113b307cac93cdf.jpg

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/1911-that-takes-glock-mags-introducing-the-stealth-arms-double-stack-1911-platypus-shot-show-2023/

Some of the color schemes are questionable, but theres no denying the appeal of a 1911 with a 33rd Glock mag.

https://gastatic.com/digest/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/IMG_3610.jpg

HeavyDuty
02-03-2023, 11:13 PM
Veeeerrrrrry tempted.....

Dooo eeeeet!

JCN
02-03-2023, 11:22 PM
Dooo eeeeet!

If I were more convinced of the mag angle difference I would.

From a gamer standpoint the traditional 2011 mags might be easier to reload… but probably not an issue with the mongo magwells anyway.

Robinson
02-04-2023, 12:02 AM
Interesting development, but people need to keep in mind that since it has a 1911 top end things like the feed way, chamber dimensions, extractor tension, etc... still all have to be done properly for the gun to run. If they put as much or more work into the parts of the gun that are traditional 1911 as they put into getting it to work with Glock mags then they could really have something.

Yankee
02-04-2023, 04:42 AM
From my understanding and what a few of my sources have told me is this is one of the things that will be addressed on the Gen 6 models. There are a few other revisions that are supposed to be done as well. We will have to wait and see if they do actually do it. FWIW, these revisions if true, will not effect holster fitment, and they will still be able to use current magazines and all aftermarket products. The revisions are addressing ergonomics in the Glock grip and not design changes.
TXPO

So when's the Gen 6 coming out? :D

Bucky
02-04-2023, 06:20 AM
I can appreciate the fact Glock mags are super reliable, but it is also the Glock biggest weakness as it prevents them from slimming up their design because of the polymer sleeve and the width.

If your end game is a micro pistol, then that might be a consideration. However, if you’re just trying to do STI with a cheaper and possibly more reliable magazine, a G17 mag is no wider than an STI magazine (I just confirmed :)), and has proper front to back sizing for 9mm.

sickeness
02-04-2023, 06:30 AM
In a similar vein, I honestly feel that if someone could only design a Glock frame with a smaller circumference that can take M&P magazines and backstraps, you would have the absolute best striker fired gun on the market.

G19Fan
02-04-2023, 08:16 AM
In a similar vein, I honestly feel that if someone could only design a Glock frame with a smaller circumference that can take M&P magazines and backstraps, you would have the absolute best striker fired gun on the market.

Agreed 100%

Elwin
02-04-2023, 10:13 AM
I am a little perplexed by the fact that the “customizing” options don’t include the ability to add an ambi safety, or different sights, much less things like different triggers etc.

Le Français
02-04-2023, 11:37 AM
Limited minor gun of ambiguous national origin...

Inkwell 41
02-04-2023, 03:41 PM
“You take a beaver, put a duck bill on it… it’s a mammal, but it lays eggs.”

Jim Watson
02-04-2023, 05:34 PM
It lives in Australia. They do things differently in the antipodes.

mrozowjj
08-13-2023, 11:37 PM
I just discovered this today. Has anyone bit the bullet and ordered one?

I kind of want to try but not sure if I want to spend $1500+ on something I can't handle first.

G19Fan
08-14-2023, 11:02 AM

I kind of want to try but not sure if I want to spend $1500+ on something I can't handle first.

Have handled 4. They are very nice builds. Trigger is better than the stacattos my friends own and the stacatto I own (though you can specific trigger in platypus build)

They also run really well no issues from my buddies who have 1 to 2k through their samples

G19Fan
08-14-2023, 11:04 AM

Grip is thinner than standard 2011 (between a 1911 and 2011) pro for me.

mrozowjj
08-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Have handled 4. They are very nice builds. Trigger is better than the stacattos my friends own and the stacatto I own (though you can specific trigger in platypus build)

They also run really well no issues from my buddies who have 1 to 2k through their samples

Grip is thinner than standard 2011 (between a 1911 and 2011) pro for me.

Well that's good info to have. If I can get the mag release reversed I'll consider giving one a go.