PDA

View Full Version : Common reaction?

Shellback
10-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Ummm... Run damnit! http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d4_1284178735

This dude should either be immitating Carl Lewis or Jackie Chan and not observing the bad guy's malfunction clearing techniques. What do you think most people's reaction would be? My guess is cower in fear and wait to get ventilated.

Jason F
10-08-2012, 05:41 AM
I remember first seeing this a few years ago. My first reaction would probably be, "WTF?!" followed closely by a full on frontal assualt with every fiber of my being, no mercy.

But I can actually understand the guys initial reaction of "what's this guy doing?"**

** but this of course supposed complete lack of situational awareness, etc that would even allow him to be that close without being observed, etc.

Shellback
10-08-2012, 08:06 AM
I remember first seeing this a few years ago. My first reaction would probably be, "WTF?!" followed closely by a full on frontal assualt with every fiber of my being, no mercy.

Didn't know this was that old and just recently saw it. Sorry if it's a double post.

Al T.
10-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Reading a very good (so far) book about that sort of action/reaction/inaction by people. It's Everyday Survival by Laurence Gonzales.

I'm about 1/2 way, so this may be addressed more later, but essentially he notes that folks have "scripts & models" for behaviors. If something falls outside of the ones someone has, it's like a short circuit while the mind resets it's OODA loop. I'm sure the victim was just thinking "what the heck is he doing?", where someone more switched on would have reacted.

MDS
10-08-2012, 02:04 PM
I've been on the verge of ordering this book for a while. Gonzales' Deep Survival was very good, but I hear this one peters out after a few chapters. Let me know if you feel that way, too. I do have an unread copy of his Surviving Survival, about getting through the aftermath, sitting in my to-read pile.