PDA

View Full Version : Glock ACTUALLY shoots left.

IDontDoQuests
01-28-2023, 03:38 AM
This is KINDA a PSA (and half blogpost). I just felt I had to share it. So here goes since I know someone might be experiencing this same longing issue.

My Glock actually shoots left. No, not low left. Just left, ever so slightly, we're talking about a 2 to 3 millimeters at 7 yards, and you can start noticing it pretty heavily the further out you take it. Funnily enough, I became a pretty competent shooter on that particular Glock 34 in USPSA. That slight group to the left never really affected my ability to score since it's so miniscule, but it always bugged me. Everywhere I looked online, people said it was the glocks grip angle, or perhaps it's squishy trigger with false walls, they said the most likely culprit was "milking the gun", or "not using my support hand". I always found it interesting that an M level shooter couldn't shoot his gun straight. Then I bought an M9A1, which I shot perfectly centered. My father gave me his HK USP, which I shot perfectly centered too. I ditched the G34 and I started competing with an Elite LTT because shooting ever so slightly to the left with the G34 always bugged me on a personal level (or when playing around with steel poppers at 100 yards). For years I believed I was the issue because if you mention the word "left" on any pistol forum, the first thing you get told it to "GET TRAINING BRO". Then I went back to the Glock thinking that perhaps, by now, I would have grown out of my "puling it to the left" issue, after years of competing and winning some good matches. And when I shot it again, it STILL shot slightly to the left.

So I decided to get to the bottom of it. Was it really me? First thing I did was get a buddy of mine who competed in Bullseye, granted he didn't like Glocks, but he did shoot a little to the left with it. Just like I did. Of course, I benched it, I had him bench it, it always shot a little to the left. But I wasn't happy with those bro science results. So I put it in a vice. We had to invest quite a bit of money into a quality vice that has never been used after that experiment. And yes, the vice DID confirm, that the Glock was in fact, shooting left. The ammo didn't matter, no matter what you used, 115, 124, 147, etc, it always shot a little to the left. Now, I know that guns aren't PERFECTLY zeroe'd from the factory. And that you have to finalize the zero yourself, but we actually had to drift the rear sight WAY to the right to get the shots to hit centered in that vice, it looks weird having the rear sight close to going outside of it's dovetail. With no other pistol that I've ever shot, have I actually needed to drift the sights. Whenever I installed night sights or fibers on any other gun, I always just aligned them perfectly to be centered with the slide and they always shot POA/POI. So it came as a surprise to me, that not only did my Glock need drifting, but it needed A LOT of drifting to have it hit POA/POI at 25 yards.

So I decided to get the Glock milled for a red dot sight, and I had the rear sight moved forward of the optic. Once the Glock with its red dot was zeroed through the bench and checked for true mechanical zero on the vice... We moved the rear irons to match with the dot. The rears had to be drifted the same amount and to the same direction as before, so that the dot would be evenly in the middle of the front sight when the BUIS were in alignment. I then decided to take out the G34 with its new red dot for a spin. I took it to a class with Scott Jedlinski, I had him personally shoot it, and he said it was perfectly zeroed despite the rears having been drifted all the way to the right. I'm not a gunsmith, but from the gunsmiths I have talked to about this, they told me I should try to get the barrel fitted, or buy an aftermarket barrel, while a Glock armorer told me it was the locking block and I should consider changing it. Quite frankly, I'm tired of spending money and time on this endeavor, maybe this is how most handguns are and I just got lucky with my Berettas and HK's mechanical zero in relation to the sights/slide alignment, and I have made a mountain out of a molehill.

Sometimes, it really is the handgun.

4RNR
01-28-2023, 07:19 AM
The Glocks I own have always shot center. I've never messed with sights. However, when 43X first came out I rented one to try before buying. Gun shot straight, I liked everything else about it so I bought one. All I can say is holly crap that thing had a mind of its own. I couldn't get any kind of consistent grouping. 7 yards was minute of dinner plate. But sometimes when I would concentrate real hard and summon all the force that I was capable of ...well then I could get something closer to resembling a grouping.

I tried grip, I tried different finger placement and in the end I said F it it's not worth it. Sold it and never looked back

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Leroy Suggs
01-28-2023, 07:30 AM
I have owned maybe 20 Glocks.
9mm, 10mm .40, and .45.
Every one shot center.
Your front sight probably wasn't plumb to the slide. A common reason a Glock will shoot left.

GJM
01-28-2023, 07:45 AM
Let's see a close up photo of your front sight.

wmu12071
01-28-2023, 08:51 AM
I have owned and shot glocks a fair amount. I purchased a brand new gen 4 19 that shoot consistently left. I measured the front and rear sights as best a could woth calipers to make sure that the notch wasn't somehow mold off center of the rear notch or the front sight twisted. I ended up drifting the rear and it shot to the stock sights at that point but I always felt like something was off so I sold it to a guy that a was convinced I was an idiot. Don't know what happened for him. It seemed to be a slide or sight problem because that slide with other barreles and frames still shot left. At that time I owned a glock 32 gen 3, another gen 4 19, a gen 3 17, and a two gen 3 19s.

Statistically there are far more glocks shooting left because people don't know they are making them shoot left then there are once with actual mechanical issues but there are still ones with mechanical issues.

GAP
01-28-2023, 09:04 AM
IDontDoProperFrontSightInstallation

RJ
01-28-2023, 12:42 PM
This is KINDA a PSA (and half blogpost). I just felt I had to share it. So here goes since I know someone might be experiencing this same longing issue.

My Glock actually shoots left. No, not low left. Just left, ever so slightly, we're talking about a 2 to 3 millimeters at 7 yards, and you can start noticing it pretty heavily the further out you take it.

I’m a bit confused, the sights are drifted 2 to 3 mm to the left, or the gun shoots 2 to 3 mm to the left at 7 yards?

LOKNLOD
01-28-2023, 01:18 PM
Years years ago, I found a G17 that unlike it's identical brothers, had to have the rear site fully drifted to the edge of the slide to hit centered. It was just a lemon.

JRB
01-28-2023, 01:19 PM
I have a circa 1994 Glock 19 and the hole for the barrel is milled noticeably off-center. It required a similarly aggressive drifting of the rear sight to get it to zero.

It was also my very first Glock and I carried it for a long time. I figured that was just how it was. Since it always went bang and I could shoot decent groups with it when I wasn't screwing up, I didn't worry about it.

diananike
01-28-2023, 02:16 PM
I have 6 Glocks and almost all of them shot perfectly to a centered rear sight.

The one exception was my factory threaded Gen 3 Glock 19. It came with suppressor height sights and shot slightly left. I had to slightly drift the rear sight to the right.
I attribute it to a slightly out of spec front sight hole. It probably wouldn’t have been noticeable with regular height sights but the tall one magnified the wonkiness.
With the Reddot the gun wears now it’s totally irrelevant.

Jim Watson
01-28-2023, 03:45 PM
I once had a S&W M19 that had to have the rear sight cranked way to the right. I could not see a cant in the front sight, the gun was just put together crooked.

My Glocks draw left but I am sure it is just my Colt-Smith grip. Not willing to change my grip, I moved the sights.

jellydonut
01-28-2023, 05:04 PM
I have a gen2 Glock 17 which shoots left, and a gen5 Glock 19 which shoots perfectly centered. I don't think it's the shooter.

JohnO
01-28-2023, 06:10 PM
Your front sight probably wasn't plumb to the slide. A common reason a Glock will shoot left.

Let's see a close up photo of your front sight.

1st thing I do is check the front sight for plumb and center. If the front sight isn't perfect and often it isn't, everything else you do is compensating for a problem you shouldn't have.

GyroF-16
01-28-2023, 06:45 PM
I hate to sound too glib, but sights are moveable to let you get the POI that you need.
Once questionable technique is ruled out (you shoot an identical gun just fine, another skilled shooter has a similar POI with that gun, etc),
just MOVE THE SIGHTS.
Individual slides and barrels have their own idiosyncrasies- some are fine with sights mechanically centered. A few need adjustment.

DDTSGM
01-28-2023, 06:57 PM
Since I'm a lefty, my inner aura compensates for the negative harmony which causes Glocks to shoot left and mine have generally shot pretty well centered.

If you google why do Glocks shoot left you get nearly as many theories as you do if you google why do fools fall in love. The one below is a variation of one I've heard before:

The most common reason why the Glock shoots to the left has to do with how people hold the gun. The vast majority of people are right-handed. Therefore, they tend to hold the gun and shoot the same way. First, take the Glock and make sure that it is not loaded. This is critical before going any farther.

Then, assume the firing position and pull the trigger. Once the trigger is pulled, leave the finger in the “pulled” position. Place some stress on the finger and watch the gun. The front sight of the gun probably goes to the left. This is a sign that the gun itself is being pulled to the left. This is a very common problem for people who use a Glock.

The reality is that the way the trigger pull has been designed means that people who are right-handed are going to pull the gun slightly to the left when they fire using their natural position. This might vary slightly depending on the size of someone’s hand and fingers. In addition, the reverse is probably true for people who are left-handed. They are simply in the minority. So, how can this problem be corrected?

Correcting the Left-Hand Lean of Glocks

There are a few ways to correct the way the gun pulls to the left. The first option is to rotate the pistol in the firing hand in the clockwise direction ever so slightly. This might feel a bit off and will take some time to get used to. Anyone who fires different types of weapons might not be able to get used to this, given that the grip is going to change from gun to gun.

The other option would be to loosen the grip just a little bit. The reality is that the harder someone pulls on the trigger, the more this force is going to pull the gun to the left. Remember that the Glock is known for having a very light trigger pull weight. Therefore, don’t pull on the trigger as hard. Loosen the grip of the little finger with the strong hand just a little bit. This will relax the rest of the hand, letting the grip loosen ever so slightly. For many people, this slight grip release does the trick. https://ghostinc.com/ghost-inc-blog/why-do-glocks-shoot-left-/

I also looked at a thread titled Yes Glocks do shoot left on Glock Talk. I could feel my brain shrinking.

IDontDoQuests
01-28-2023, 10:32 PM
Thank you for the responses fellas, and I love the "gotcha" responses that are typical of elitist forums. HOWEVER, it shot left with its original front sight from the factory, it shot left with the Vogel sights I installed, and it shot left with the suppressor height BUIS that were professionally installed by the people who did my slide milling. So unless Glock, myself, and the company I used to do my slide milling all installed the front sight crookedly (and all of us to the same direction, for the exact same amount LOL), the gun does shoot slightly left. When looking down the barrel installed on it's slide, it does appear to be slightly off center, showing more of a "hole" or "light" on one side than the other. Relax fellas, I love my Glock 34, it's one of my favorite pistols and I use it all the time, no need to take it so personal. I AM NOT IMPLYING ALL GLOCKS SHOOT LEFT. JUST MINE. I have shot other Glocks that didn't have this issue. There is no such thing as perfect 1 to 1 manufacturing processes. There could be "lemons", though I would hardly call it that since it runs so well. Believe it, don't, that fine. I know somewhere out there, there might be a gun that truly just shoots off center and the guy is banging his head against the wall wondering if it's him or the gun. To him, I'd tell him, if you're one hell of a shot with other pistols, including with other copies of the exact model you're trying to diagnose, it's probably the gun.

IDontDoQuests
01-28-2023, 10:35 PM
I hate to sound too glib, but sights are moveable to let you get the POI that you need.
Once questionable technique is ruled out (you shoot an identical gun just fine, another skilled shooter has a similar POI with that gun, etc),
just MOVE THE SIGHTS.
Individual slides and barrels have their own idiosyncrasies- some are fine with sights mechanically centered. A few need adjustment.

I completely agree. Which is what I ended up doing. It's just for a OCD guy like myself, it always bothered me that out of all my glocks or other handguns, that specific G34 was the only one that needed that much drifting. But as you said, "idiosyncrasies". The red dot really helps alleviate that mental problem since it's not as readily apparent that there's something out of alignment with the slide.

Darth_Uno
01-29-2023, 05:36 AM
I had a Gen 3 17 that needed the sights drifted all the way to edge. That bugged me after a while, so I put a Silencerco barrel in and guess what - had to punch the rear sight back to the center. Not saying anything was really wrong with factory setup, it just do be like that sometimes.

GJM
01-29-2023, 07:13 AM
I may have missed it, but did the photo of the front sight eve get posted?

JCN
01-29-2023, 07:43 AM
So unless Glock, myself, and the company I used to do my slide milling all installed the front sight crookedly (and all of us to the same direction, for the exact same amount LOL)

You know, you can twist the front sight the other way and that’ll allow you to put the rear more center even if the gun wants to shoot left.

I have a revolver that requires the adjustable rear all the way to the side.

GJM
01-29-2023, 08:57 AM
I have always wondered if the threads on the Glock front sight were reversed, how much of the problem would go away. The last bit of tightening often cants the front sight face slightly right, which is like moving the rear sight left. As I finish tightening the screw, I hold my left thumb against the front sight to keep it from torquing right.

In addition, something about the Glock trigger and grip is conducive to shooting left with a Glock by a right hand shooter.
Over the years, my Glock rear sights have migrated back to center, as I have sorted out my Glock trigger press.

IDontDoQuests
01-29-2023, 09:13 AM
I may have missed it, but did the photo of the front sight eve get posted?

What you missed is someone who told you it's been checked, by multiple people, multiple times. I'm not going to take a pic and upload it. If it was the issue, the first thing I would have done is thanked you and fixed that problem.

IDontDoQuests
01-29-2023, 09:15 AM
You know, you can twist the front sight the other way and that’ll allow you to put the rear more center even if the gun wants to shoot left.

I have a revolver that requires the adjustable rear all the way to the side.

That would still bother me however. It's the lack of visual symmetry that didn't sit well with me. Especially considering that none of my other firearms have given me that issue. Otherwise I would agree it's mostly visual, and doesn't affect performance.

GJM
01-29-2023, 09:33 AM
What you missed is someone who told you it's been checked, by multiple people, multiple times. I'm not going to take a pic and upload it. If it was the issue, the first thing I would have done is thanked you and fixed that problem.

When a similar topic came up years ago, someone (I think Gio) checked a bunch of agency Glock pistols, and almost everyone had a front sight canted slightly to the left. A tiny bit of cant goes a long way. Out of curiosity, so you can try to differentiate between front sight installation, shooting technique and the pistol, have you had any left hand shooters check zero?

Leroy Suggs
01-29-2023, 09:46 AM
To really have "Perfection" Glock needs to dovetail the front sight.

HCM
01-29-2023, 11:10 AM

My Glock actually shoots left. No, not low left. Just left, ever so slightly, we're talking about a 2 to 3 millimeters at 7 yards, and you can start noticing it pretty heavily the further out you take it. Funnily enough, I became a pretty competent shooter on that particular Glock 34 in USPSA. That slight group to the left never really affected my ability to score since it's so miniscule, but it always bugged me. Everywhere I looked online, people said it was the glocks grip angle, or perhaps it's squishy trigger with false walls, they said the most likely culprit was "milking the gun", or "not using my support hand". I always found it interesting that an M level shooter couldn't shoot his gun straight. Then I bought an M9A1, which I shot perfectly centered. My father gave me his HK USP, which I shot perfectly centered too. I ditched the G34 and I started competing with an Elite LTT because shooting ever so slightly to the left with the G34 always bugged me on a personal level (or when playing around with steel poppers at 100 yards). For years I believed I was the issue because if you mention the word "left" on any pistol forum, the first thing you get told it to "GET TRAINING BRO". Then I went back to the Glock thinking that perhaps, by now, I would have grown out of my "puling it to the left" issue, after years of competing and winning some good matches. And when I shot it again, it STILL shot slightly to the left.

So I decided to get to the bottom of it. Was it really me? First thing I did was get a buddy of mine who competed in Bullseye, granted he didn't like Glocks, but he did shoot a little to the left with it. Just like I did. Of course, I benched it, I had him bench it, it always shot a little to the left. But I wasn't happy with those bro science results. So I put it in a vice. We had to invest quite a bit of money into a quality vice that has never been used after that experiment. And yes, the vice DID confirm, that the Glock was in fact, shooting left. The ammo didn't matter, no matter what you used, 115, 124, 147, etc, it always shot a little to the left. Now, I know that guns aren't PERFECTLY zeroe'd from the factory. And that you have to finalize the zero yourself, but we actually had to drift the rear sight WAY to the right to get the shots to hit centered in that vice, it looks weird having the rear sight close to going outside of it's dovetail. With no other pistol that I've ever shot, have I actually needed to drift the sights. Whenever I installed night sights or fibers on any other gun, I always just aligned them perfectly to be centered with the slide and they always shot POA/POI. So it came as a surprise to me, that not only did my Glock need drifting, but it needed A LOT of drifting to have it hit POA/POI at 25 yards.

So I decided to get the Glock milled for a red dot sight, and I had the rear sight moved forward of the optic. Once the Glock with its red dot was zeroed through the bench and checked for true mechanical zero on the vice... We moved the rear irons to match with the dot. The rears had to be drifted the same amount and to the same direction as before, so that the dot would be evenly in the middle of the front sight when the BUIS were in alignment. I then decided to take out the G34 with its new red dot for a spin. I took it to a class with Scott Jedlinski, I had him personally shoot it, and he said it was perfectly zeroed despite the rears having been drifted all the way to the right. I'm not a gunsmith, but from the gunsmiths I have talked to about this, they told me I should try to get the barrel fitted, or buy an aftermarket barrel, while a Glock armorer told me it was the locking block and I should consider changing it. Quite frankly, I'm tired of spending money and time on this endeavor, maybe this is how most handguns are and I just got lucky with my Berettas and HK's mechanical zero in relation to the sights/slide alignment, and I have made a mountain out of a molehill.

Sometimes, it really is the handgun.

I’ve seen maybe 2 or 3 Glocks that Actually / mechanically shot left over the years out of a sample of a few hundred at work but it’s uncommon.

However, when we have someone saying their Glock shoots left and it’s not them, we’ll ask who installed the sights and look at the front to see if it’s straight. As noted canted fronts are a common issue.

If it appears straight, we’ll have another competent shooter, shoot the gun. You can also try shooting the gun, left-handed. If the left POI bias of the shots suddenly switches to right POI bias when shot left handed it’s the shooter not the gun.

In the medical profession, they have a saying, when you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras.

JCN
01-29-2023, 11:12 AM
That would still bother me however. It's the lack of visual symmetry that didn't sit well with me. Especially considering that none of my other firearms have given me that issue. Otherwise I would agree it's mostly visual, and doesn't affect performance.

What I’m saying is that turning sight to the right as opposed to left will be visually less noticeable than a rear pushed all the way to the side.

HCM
01-29-2023, 11:19 AM

Theoretically the Tennon of the front sight should fit perfectly in the home in the slide preventing the front sight from twisting when tightening but it rarely works out that way.

Just another argument for red dot optics…

Duelist
01-29-2023, 11:41 AM
Theoretically the Tennon of the front sight should fit perfectly in the home in the slide preventing the front sight from twisting when tightening but it rarely works out that way.

Just another argument for red dot optics…

But you have to zero a red dot, too!

JCN
01-29-2023, 11:45 AM

Don’t get me started on S&W semi autos with dovetailed fronts that were way the eff off to the side from the factory.

HCM
01-29-2023, 12:08 PM
But you have to zero a red dot, too!

Don’t get me started on how people trying to zero a red dot by co- witnessing to iron sites that are not zeroed just Do not understand the problem……

willie
01-29-2023, 01:54 PM
2-3mm at 7 yards should be easily corrected by bumping the rear sight about .003 to the right. I understand the op's desire that his pistol shoot straight but wonder if grip and stance might be affecting poi. Using myself as a sample of 1, I can say that 99% of my scores of handguns shot to the left unless I was shooting a revolver double action. The op might try shooting from a bench using a stable rest. If a friend has an aftermarket drop in barrel, he might try it to see if there's a difference.

IDontDoQuests
01-30-2023, 07:43 AM
When a similar topic came up years ago, someone (I think Gio) checked a bunch of agency Glock pistols, and almost everyone had a front sight canted slightly to the left. A tiny bit of cant goes a long way. Out of curiosity, so you can try to differentiate between front sight installation, shooting technique and the pistol, have you had any left hand shooters check zero?

I get what you're saying, but a very expensive vice was ultimately used (vice, not rest) which is a much more surefire way of checking, rather than human error introduction, and the vice replicated the problem as well as I did in regard to the amount that was being shot left. I did shoot it left handed from a rest and I got the same result as well.

IDontDoQuests
01-30-2023, 07:52 AM
2-3mm at 7 yards should be easily corrected by bumping the rear sight about .003 to the right. I understand the op's desire that his pistol shoot straight but wonder if grip and stance might be affecting poi. Using myself as a sample of 1, I can say that 99% of my scores of handguns shot to the left unless I was shooting a revolver double action. The op might try shooting from a bench using a stable rest. If a friend has an aftermarket drop in barrel, he might try it to see if there's a difference.

Admittedly, I just threw those numbers out. I don't recall exactly the distance and amount it was being shot to the left (though I remember it being very little at closer distances), since it's been so long that all this started and I've tackled it bit by bit over the years. I guess I could center the sights perfectly on the slide again, shoot it from the vice, and record/post the data on here. It was recently when installing the red dot optic that I was reminded of it all and felt like making a post about the struggles with that particular specific Glock. Not being a gunsmith (or very smart apparently), it all made sense to me when I checked to see the slide/barrel fitment and saw how heavily the barrel leans and pushes to one particular slide. There is also a lot more barrel/slide wear on only ONE side of the barrel (towards the side it favors), further confirming the lack of proper slide and barrel alignment.

msstate56
01-30-2023, 08:26 AM
So tell me again why not just drift the rear sight a bit to the right and move on with your life? I’m not sure it’s worth all this.

IDontDoQuests
01-30-2023, 08:43 AM
So tell me again why not just drift the rear sight a bit to the right and move on with your life? I’m not sure it’s worth all this.

Worth all what?

msstate56
01-30-2023, 08:51 AM
All the time you and everyone else took to type out this thread. It takes less time to drift a sight in a dovetail than to type the war and piece epic of your original post.

mizer67
01-30-2023, 08:56 AM
However, when we have someone saying their Glock shoots left and it’s not them, we’ll ask who installed the sights and look at the front to see if it’s straight. As noted canted fronts are a common issue.

HCM, do you have a way to verify cant on the front sight that you use, other than visually?

This thread has me wondering if there's a mechanical way to verify cant.

Leroy Suggs
01-30-2023, 09:05 AM
HCM, do you have a way to verify cant on the front sight that you use, other than visually?

I am not HCM but you can use a 12" steel ruler. Lay it along the side of the front sight and see where it aligns with the rear. Do it on both sides of the front sight.

HCM
01-30-2023, 09:30 AM

I am not HCM but you can use a 12" steel ruler. Lay it along the side of the front sight and see where it aligns with the rear. Do it on both sides of the front sight.

This but with a small carpenter’s square.

willie
01-30-2023, 06:28 PM
I would think that "eyeballing" the sight would allow one to detect variation from plumb. I've seen a few revolvers with a canted from sight, but in each case the barrel was not turned up so that it was centered. Once I sent a J frame back to Smith and complained that it shot off to one side. They fixed it by turning the barrel to cant the sight. This technique resolved the issue, but I then had a revolver with a "crooked" front sight.

BN
01-31-2023, 10:44 AM
There was a rumor years ago that Heinie cut the notches in his rear Glock sights a little off center to allow for this. Anybody know if it's true?

TiroFijo
01-31-2023, 11:00 AM
My Glock actually shoots left. No, not low left. Just left, ever so slightly, we're talking about a 2 to 3 millimeters at 7 yards, and you can start noticing it pretty heavily the further out you take it..

This is about 1 cm at 25 m, an almost negligible amount, and very easy to correct drifting your rear sigh a veeery small distance... am I missing something?

Gio
01-31-2023, 11:31 AM

I know you've had your sights installed by multiple people/professionals, but I've seen hundreds of guns with the front sight twisted that were installed by full time agency gunsmiths. The direction you have to turn the front sight screw to install a Glock front sight twists the front sight so the front face of it is slightly off center to the right, which causes the gun to shoot slightly left when the rear sight is centered. Unless the person installing the sight braced the front sight in the slide to keep it straight, they likely just hand torqued it down and slightly twisted it in the process. You probably can't even tell by visually looking at it unless you run a straight edge down the side of the front sight.

EDIT: If you posted a top down picture of your slide/front sight, it might be easy to see it in a photo.

GJM
01-31-2023, 11:35 AM
There was a rumor years ago that Heinie cut the notches in his rear Glock sights a little off center to allow for this. Anybody know if it's true?

Not sure about these days, but it was true a decade or so ago when I was using Heinie sights on Glock pistols.

JCN
01-31-2023, 11:44 AM
I know you've had your sights installed by multiple people/professionals, but I've seen hundreds of guns with the front sight twisted that were installed by full time agency gunsmiths. The direction you have to turn the front sight screw to install a Glock front sight twists the front sight so the front face of it is slightly off center to the right, which causes the gun to shoot slightly left when the rear sight is centered. Unless the person installing the sight braced the front sight in the slide to keep it straight, they likely just hand torqued it down and slightly twisted it in the process. You probably can't even tell by visually looking at it unless you run a straight edge down the side of the front sight.

EDIT: If you posted a top down picture of your slide/front sight, it might be easy to see it in a photo.

And because I’m OCD I’ve actually twisted the front sight the other way holding with pliers while screwing so that the rears stay centered. Basically I use the twist allowance to make that the adjustment.

That’s what I was recommending to the OP so he wouldn’t have to look at offset rears.

IDontDoQuests
01-31-2023, 01:53 PM
All the time you and everyone else took to type out this thread. It takes less time to drift a sight in a dovetail than to type the war and piece epic of your original post.

So what do you want to talk about in a pistol forum? Only the subjects you care about? Is this your site? Don't like it, don't post in it. Make your own threads.

msstate56
01-31-2023, 02:04 PM
So what do you want to talk about in a pistol forum? Only the subjects you care about? Is this your site? Don't like it, don't post in it. Make your own threads.

Sure thing chief. I wish you luck figuring out one of the most simplistic pistols in the industry.

GJM
02-01-2023, 06:58 PM
Today, I installed back up iron sights on a new Gen 5 Glock 20. Being quite aware of the tendency of the front sight to be cocked slightly to the right, I exercised significant care in attempting to get it straight. I then mounted my optic and laser sighted it with a Wheeler. Looking at the iron sight alignment compared to the laser, it was obvious my iron sights would result in a left impact deflection. Did some more checking and realized I had a tiny cant to the front sight. Got that straightened out and the iron sights lined up with the laser and red dot. If I didn't have the Wheeler laser sighter and a red dot, it would have been easy for me to believe this pistol shot left, as a smidge of cant in the front sight moves impact considerably.

HCM
02-01-2023, 08:09 PM
Today, I installed back up iron sights on a new Gen 5 Glock 20. Being quite aware of the tendency of the front sight to be cocked slightly to the right, I exercised significant care in attempting to get it straight. I then mounted my optic and laser sighted it with a Wheeler. Looking at the iron sight alignment compared to the laser, it was obvious my iron sights would result in a left impact deflection. Did some more checking and realized I had a tiny cant to the front sight. Got that straightened out and the iron sights lined up with the laser and red dot. If I didn't have the Wheeler laser sighter and a red dot, it would have been easy for me to believe this pistol shot left, as a smidge of cant in the front sight moves impact considerably.

Can you post an Amazon link for the wheeler laser ?

GJM
02-01-2023, 08:16 PM
Can you post an Amazon link for the wheeler laser ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WQJCWC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_titleIt's

GJM
02-01-2023, 08:18 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007WQJCWC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_titleIt's

The Wheeler laser thingee, Fix it Sticks and this battery tester are my must have red dot tools.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FQG1XE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

IDontDoQuests
02-02-2023, 01:38 PM
Sure thing chief. I wish you luck figuring out one of the most simplistic pistols in the industry.

Pathetic human being, to see a thread he knows he's going to get angry by, join in anyways, and then complain that he's there reading someone else's posts. No one else seemed to have a problem, just you. Is that 56 for 1956? If so, makes perfect sense.

LittleLebowski
02-02-2023, 01:43 PM
Everyone involved, started acting like respectful human beings. Thanks, the owner.

JCN
02-02-2023, 01:44 PM
LL beat me to it