PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a double point sling on an M4 style carbine?

Little Creek
10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I am thinking I want to use a QD sling swivel near the rear of the support hand side of the hand guard with the sling under my support arm and over my primary/strongside shoulder attached with another QD swivel on the outside of the butstock. How do you guys set up your 2 point VTAC or VCAS or similar style slings? I have one MOE butstock, one Rogers Super stick and one MagPul ACS stock. I am thinking I would add a QD adapter to the rear of the MOE butstock. What do you guys suggest?

Jay Cunningham
10-07-2012, 07:16 PM
I have mine setup exactly as you describe. Occasionally I'll attach to the rear of the receiver instead of the outside of the buttstock.

YVK
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Rear of a handguard - rear of a receiver is how I've done mine.

JB326
10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I use the Way of the Gun slings (http://wayofthegun.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=22), which require no hardware at all... It always seemed that regardless of where I set up QD's on the stock/ receiver extension, I was always bumping into them or otherwise inconvenienced by them.

LOKNLOD
10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I've got mine set up as described in the OP as well.

jbmilitary006
10-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I also use WOTG slings. Frank sent me one of the first he designed while I was overseas. He sent me another, more improved, once I returned home a couple months ago. Both work very well. I was running a VTAC sling and have played with the Magpul sling on my brothers AR.

tmoore912
10-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I use the Way of the Gun slings (http://wayofthegun.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=22), which require no hardware at all... It always seemed that regardless of where I set up QD's on the stock/ receiver extension, I was always bumping into them or otherwise inconvenienced by them.

Thanks for the info and link. Ordered one last night for my 16" mid-length. Looking forward to trying it out.

Nik the Greek
10-20-2012, 04:52 PM

How does the WotG sling compare with the VTAC? Pros and cons?

ChrisG
10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
How does the WotG sling compare with the VTAC? Pros and cons?

They work the same way: pull forward on "tail" to to tighten, back on "slider" to loosen. The WOTG uses a simple fastex-type buckle for the slider, instead of the metal hardware (the ALICE pack shoulder-strap tensioner) that the VTAC uses. Don't have enough time with the WOTG to comment on the implications of this for long-term durability. The WOTG is cheaper, and the 550 loops are pretty versatile for attaching to a wide variety of long guns, regardless of sling mounts. It's a simple design without sewing, and you could probably duplicate it inexpensively with some webbing, fastex buckles, 550 cord, and heat-shrink tubing (to cover the knots in the 550), but for the price I'd just as soon support WOTG. The VTAC is pricier, has many options (padded strap, mounting, etc.), and has the metal slider which MIGHT be stronger/more durable.

I would say get a WOTG first, as a cheap way to play with the adjustable two-point concept and different mounting points on your gun. Later if the plastic slider or the "jerry-rigged" 550 attachments bother you, you can always get a VTAC with QD swivels, mash-hooks, or whatever hardware suits your preferred mounting points. The WOTG can still be handy to have around for guns with limited sling mounting options. Mine is currently on a Winchester model 12 shotgun, for which finding a front sling mount that doesn't interfere with the pump or takedown mechanism was problematic.

Josh Runkle
10-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I do rear of handguard to rear of receiver. Noveske makes a cheap rear of receiver qd plate.