PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Low Light Carbine Practice

Jay Cunningham
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Met up with six shooters Saturday the 26th for some low light carbine work - supposed to be 18 degrees!

Had a nice, focused, night shoot. Covered: muzzle signature characteristics, lateral movement with light discipline, remedial malfunction clearance, transitions using carbine light to engage with handgun, SOTM advance & withdraw (with forced transitions). Thanks for coming out in the cold, dudes!! Members Aray, orionz06, and SamueL were in attendance, along with a few others.

Several cans were being used - interesting results.

Observations: semi-auto firearms run sluggish in cold... humid doubly so. Avoid grease and lube with oil. Do not lube your firing pin - hit it with brake cleaner and leave it. Make sure your sling is set up to work through the full range of transition movements.

Have BUIS sighted in because electronic red dots can and do fail. Have a light mounted to your carbine. Be able to perform all manipulations in darkness. Illuminate when necessary, then turn your light off and move laterally.

Aray
03-26-2011, 09:53 PM
Don't set your sling up to choke yourself when crossing your body.

Good time, cold feet, and no lights.

Kyle Reese
03-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Good stuff, Jay. What you're saying pretty much echoes my own experience in LAV's Dec 2009 Carbine/Handgun class in Lewisberry, PA. Sure was cold those 2 days, but the night shoot was interesting, as we had a full moon.

Jay Cunningham
03-27-2011, 01:58 AM
Additional observations:

The Micro Aimpoint works exceptionally well as a ghost ring due to the smaller diameter - unfortunately more and more people have been needing to do this, it would appear... have heard of (and now witnessed) several of them dying.

Muzzle signature characteristics are always interesting. The first shot from a suppressed gun usually exhibits a decent flash, while follow-on shots are greatly reduced signature. A small suppressor on a very short barrel 5.56mm *will not* adequately tame the fireball - yes, it will affect your night-vision. The SureFire FH556−212A is very effective, as is the standard A2 bird cage. Russian ammo makes pretty sparklies - so do Battle Comps, it would appear...

orionz06
03-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Here is the BC on an 11.5" gun. Bear in mind that the BC is not designed for 11.5" guns.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5042/5250106218_a464d94d25_b.jpg

MTechnik
03-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Here is the BC on an 11.5" gun. Bear in mind that the BC is not designed for 11.5" guns.

That looks like an awesome time. I guess Jay's discovery of odd-hour training is working out for everyone!

orionz06
03-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Just got off the phone with Aimpoint. The solution the perceived failure it to tighten the cap. It was mentioned that most people reporting the same issue have another 1/4 to 1/2 turn available. The optic was designed for -47 degrees, 20 degrees should not be a concern. Multiple threads on other forums confirm this.

This brings up a snarky comment I have made to others in the past... "What have you done to make it not work?"

In this case I failed to inspect my BCG and did not assume that the firing pin would be soaked in oil. I also did not properly tighten the battery cap on my optic. Daniel Defense, Aimpoint and Eugene Stoner are not to blame, just the user who created the problems. Murphy's Law comes into play as well.

Jay Cunningham
03-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Good to know. What was the issue with Sam's Micro?

orionz06
03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Good to know. What was the issue with Sam's Micro?

Waiting for him to call back, I suspect his was the same as mine.

I was able to solve the issue but also repeated it this evening, so I am satisfied with the solution.

Jay Cunningham
03-28-2011, 05:43 PM
That looks like an awesome time. I guess Jay's discovery of odd-hour training is working out for everyone!

I wouldn't quite call it a discovery... more like I have no other choice right now!

:cool:

Blake
03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry I missed shooting with everyone. Sounds like it would have been a good time. Can't get too much training done at night. Hopefully I can make it the next time you all get together.

Jay Cunningham
03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Hopefully we can get something going again this weekend.

Jay Cunningham
09-18-2016, 09:07 AM
2016 Post-PFestivus Necro Bump!