PDA

View Full Version : USPSA Carry Optics - Shadow 2 Modifications

jrobinson
01-24-2023, 03:37 PM
Good afternoon!

I have a CZ Shadow 2 Optic Ready SA/DA. I am new to USPSA, but I have the itch to make modifications/ adjustments, so I feel like I should at least make a list of what I can/should do and then pass them over to the wifey periodically for financial approval. I am curious what I can and can't do to the pistol that keeps it in the Carry Optic category.

I feel like the trigger is a little far forward, is there a way for me to bring it back at all?
What about Slide Porting. Does that add a value at all or is that strictly aesthetic.
Bigger mags, currently have 17+1?
What are recommended changes.

The pistol works great as is. I am definitely not to the skill level that my pistol is at.

Thanks for the advice!

ECK
01-24-2023, 04:06 PM
Good afternoon!

I have a CZ Shadow 2 Optic Ready SA/DA. I am new to USPSA, but I have the itch to make modifications/ adjustments, so I feel like I should at least make a list of what I can/should do and then pass them over to the wifey periodically for financial approval. I am curious what I can and can't do to the pistol that keeps it in the Carry Optic category.

I feel like the trigger is a little far forward, is there a way for me to bring it back at all?
What about Slide Porting. Does that add a value at all or is that strictly aesthetic.
Bigger mags, currently have 17+1?
What are recommended changes.

The pistol works great as is. I am definitely not to the skill level that my pistol is at.

Thanks for the advice!

There’s a number of us here who use a Shadow 2 for CO division, so you may get some varying answers.

I had my gun milled for CO before the S2OR was available in the US, and this was also when the weight limit was restricted for 45 oz (including optic and an empty mag). So I had mine milled for the optic as well as some slide lightening (ports) to reduce weight to get me under the limit. With optic and empty mag, my gun weighs in @ 44.1 oz. Then a year or two later they increased the weight limit to 59 oz. But when I had my second Shadow 2 setup for CO (two is one, one is none, et.al.) I had the same shop mill the slide lightening as well bc I wanted both guns to feel and recoil the same.

It might be bc I shot 1911’s for so long, but a gun that weighs around 43 oz is the sweet spot for me, not these super heavy 50+ oz guns that some people like.

You can bring the DA trigger back a little by installing a short DA disco. CGW and CZC both make one. Some fitting may be required.

I run Taran Tactical mag extensions with the Grams follower and spring. When attached to the Mecgar 17 rnd mag I get 23+1 capacity. You can buy the mag kit (extension, spring, follower, and 17 rnd mag tube) from Ben Stoeger’s Pro Shop, or just buy the mag extensions, spring, and follower separately.

First thing I do to all my Shadow 2’s is to replace the mainspring, recoil spring, trigger return spring, and firing pin spring with lighter ones from CGW. I also drop in an extended firing pin and floating trigger pin also from CGW. And some light polishing of the internals. That netted me a 6 lb DA and 2 lb SA trigger. I also prefer a flat (or less curved) trigger and one of my S2’s has the CZC flat DA/SA trigger and the other one has a semi-curved trigger from Armory Craft (but I’m hearing that CGW also offers a DA/SA trigger that is less curved than OFM).

Good luck with your Shadow 2!

EricP
01-24-2023, 05:09 PM
My Shadow 2s are set up almost exactly like ECK’s with the exception of the extended firing pins. I have to use Federal primers when using an 11.5# mainspring because of this.

The optic mounting plates have been somewhat difficult to get for the OR model, depending on the footprint. I had been wanting to get a back up for over a year before I found them in stock.

YVK
01-24-2023, 05:29 PM
I have several setups that include lightened slides, lightened frames, unmodified frame, and unmodified slide. Just like ECK, started when the limit was 45 oz except I went further and had even frames lightened internally. I prefer my 9 mm game guns not to go too far past 40 oz unloaded.
Personally I feel that the unmodified slide cycles closest to the optimal but I don't like total static weight of unmodified gun so my match gun has unmodded slide and lightened frame. Practice gun is the opposite, and there's really not a ton of difference how they shoot. All of my guns have static weights around 40 oz without a mag.
Internally all are identical with 85C triggers, floating trigger pins, short discos, match hammers, and 13 lbs hammer springs. Firing pins and springs are stock.

JCN
01-24-2023, 05:36 PM
The RRK or reach reduction kit is functionally nice.

Barrel bushing is nice and help a little.

I personally liked the recoil timing of the full heavy slide. So much so that the 4 lightened slides I had done when light CO was a thing just sit around.

My advice would be springs and RRK then practice.

ECK
01-24-2023, 05:45 PM
A couple weeks ago I helped a friend install a CGW race hammer and adjustable sear in his Black/blue Shadow 2. Also dropped in the CGW TRS, trigger pin, and 11.5 lb mainspring. He already had the extended firing pin installed.

With the stock hammer annd sear and just the spring swaps we ended up with a 6.5/2.5 lb trigger pull. With some additional polishing I’m sure we could get that down to 6/2 (DA/SA).

But he also wanted to install a CGW sear and hammer. Post install, trigger pull in SA went up to 3-ish lbs and change but it was a more crisp pull (more like a 1911 than the rolling break of the stock CZ). Since it was my friends gun I left it up to him and he preferred the heavier but crisper SA break since he also shoots a 2011 open gun. And had it not been for the trigger gauge he would not have known it was heavier.

Personally I like the way the SA feels with stock hammer and sear, but some people like a crisp break with very defined wall. But IMO the S2’s trigger system only need a few spring changes and it’s good to go.

Akimbo_sammiches
01-24-2023, 08:06 PM
Realistically nothing "needs" to be done, factory form its a great pistol.
Having said that I put in the CGW pro kit which included a reach reduction kit. The reach reduction for me places my finger on the DA trigger the way I like.
I prefer how the gun returns with a 10lbs recoil spring and I mostly use CCI primers with an 11.5lbs hammer spring and extended firing pin.
So far I like the Henning mag extensions the best with a mec-gar 17 round mag for a total of 21 rounds.
I have a few match only mags with the Grams spring and follower alloing for 23+1.
The new Rune tactical spring and follower allow for 24+1.
I wouldn't make these your only mags unless you like replacing them a lot. The special springs wear faster.
MBX claims 24+1 as well.
I am done buying the taran tactical extensions after seeing them crack from use indoors on concrete.
YMMV

ECK
01-24-2023, 08:19 PM
A couple weeks ago I helped a friend install a CGW race hammer and adjustable sear in his Black/blue Shadow 2. Also dropped in the CGW TRS, trigger pin, and 11.5 lb mainspring. He already had the extended firing pin installed.

With the stock hammer annd sear and just the spring swaps we ended up with a 6.5/2.5 lb trigger pull. With some additional polishing I’m sure we could get that down to 6/2 (DA/SA).

But he also wanted to install a CGW sear and hammer. Post install, trigger pull in SA went up to 3-ish lbs and change but it was a more crisp pull (more like a 1911 than the rolling break of the stock CZ). Since it was my friends gun I left it up to him and he preferred the heavier but crisper SA break since he also shoots a 2011 open gun. And had it not been for the trigger gauge he would not have known it was heavier.

Personally I like the way the SA feels with stock hammer and sear, but some people like a crisp break with very defined wall. But IMO the S2’s trigger system only need a few spring changes and it’s good to go.

YVK
01-24-2023, 09:43 PM
I have a few match only mags with the Grams spring and follower alloing for 23+1.

You've had a good success with these? I've had Henning's extensions from day one and while I can stick 23 in with an Uplula, the number of times I've had slide failing to strip the first round has been high enough for me to stop. I use Henning's + Grams guts for easy 22+1, reloadable, and I have a couple of mags with cut coils that give me 23+1. I try to use them sparingly.
Never heard of Rune Tactical, so I just ordered theirs to try.

Akimbo_sammiches
01-24-2023, 09:49 PM
You've had a good success with these? I've had Henning's extensions from day one and while I can stick 23 in with an Uplula, the number of times I've had slide failing to strip the first round has been high enough for me to stop. I use Henning's + Grams guts for easy 22+1, reloadable, and I have a couple of mags with cut coils that give me 23+1. I try to use them sparingly.
Never heard of Rune Tactical, so I just ordered theirs to try.
So far so good. 23+1 reloadable. Is your mag tube a mecgar 17? There seems to be a lot of different experiences of what works. It could perhaps be due to overall length of the ammo, not sure but I load way short compared to most

YVK
01-24-2023, 10:01 PM
So far so good. 23+1 reloadable. Is your mag tube a mecgar 17? There seems to be a lot of different experiences of what works. It could perhaps be due to overall length of the ammo, not sure but I load way short compared to most

They are mecgars, I presume the 17s. I think they also make 18, I am not sure. Out of town this week so I can't check. I use factory 115 grain ammo almost exclusively; I guess that could be a factor.

ECK
01-25-2023, 12:07 AM
I’ve got a set of Mecgar 17 rnd mags with the TTI basepads, Grams springs and followers that are going on 4 years of a lot of shooting and no signs of the springs wearing out. Can hand load to 23 but certainly a Maglula makes it easier. I haven’t seen any signs of the basepads getting damaged and they’ve been dropped a lot, but on gravel/sand/dirt. I hardly ever shoot indoors or on concrete.

jrobinson
01-26-2023, 02:39 PM
This is all fantastic, thanks!

So, i think i'm going to leave the mags alone for now, and put the RRK on the top of my list, and then see how much the springs would be. I don't know what each of the springs do in relation to use, but I imagine they would all be good changes!

Thanks everyone!

jrobinson
01-26-2023, 04:24 PM
This all is great!

So it looks like for sure I will get the reach reduction Kit, and then look at the springs, although I don't know how they affect anything. And go from there! Thanks for y'alls help!

foxj66
02-01-2023, 11:03 AM
I recommend the following

CZC Short reach trigger (I use it for no set screws nothing wrong with the CGW short reach trigger but you will need to properly lock tight the screws and keep an eye on them)
CGW short reach disconnector
CGW Hammer (I use their hammer pins as well)
11.5 Main Spring (depending on your ammo you may need a 13 order both)
Rami Firing pin spring

This is what I run in my guns. As for CO mags I use MBX and factory CZ 17rd mags with Henning Bases and Grams spring kits. Still testing the Rune Tactical ones but I am seeing a reliable 24+1 in the 4 I have so far.

jrobinson
02-01-2023, 11:32 AM
I recommend the following

CZC Short reach trigger (I use it for no set screws nothing wrong with the CGW short reach trigger but you will need to properly lock tight the screws and keep an eye on them)
CGW short reach disconnector
CGW Hammer (I use their hammer pins as well)
11.5 Main Spring (depending on your ammo you may need a 13 order both)
Rami Firing pin spring

This is what I run in my guns. As for CO mags I use MBX and factory CZ 17rd mags with Henning Bases and Grams spring kits. Still testing the Rune Tactical ones but I am seeing a reliable 24+1 in the 4 I have so far.

This is great info, thank you! When you are talking about the main spring. you mention that depending on my ammo, I may need a different one. What do you mean?

foxj66
02-01-2023, 11:56 AM
This is great info, thank you! When you are talking about the main spring. you mention that depending on my ammo, I may need a different one. What do you mean?

different primers/Quality of loads might take a heavier main spring to reliabily ignite. I have had good luck with 11.5 but some primers/loads will need a 13.

jrobinson
02-01-2023, 01:15 PM

Also, is the short reach trigger the same thing as the reach reduction kit? I'm not seeing it on CZC

Clusterfrack
02-01-2023, 01:19 PM
Also, is the short reach trigger the same thing as the reach reduction kit? I'm not seeing it on CZC

CGW Kit

Slavex
02-04-2023, 02:22 AM
of all the mods people do to CZs the reach reduction kit causes the most problems I've seen. It shortens the trigger reach sure, but it also shortens the stroke of the hammer in DA, sometimes by a lot, and I see so many light strikes as a result, even with light firing pin springs and such. Not worth it to me, even for people with short fingers.

JCN
02-04-2023, 05:52 AM
of all the mods people do to CZs the reach reduction kit causes the most problems I've seen. It shortens the trigger reach sure, but it also shortens the stroke of the hammer in DA, sometimes by a lot, and I see so many light strikes as a result, even with light firing pin springs and such. Not worth it to me, even for people with short fingers.

I don’t go that light on the hammer spring and I use Syntech that is even easier to ignite than regular Federal primers.

Many 10s of thousands of rounds and never a light strike for me. YMMV.

Slavex
02-04-2023, 06:06 AM
I don’t go that light on the hammer spring and I use Syntech that is even easier to ignite than regular Federal primers.

Many 10s of thousands of rounds and never a light strike for me. YMMV.

Yeah no going super light on the springs definitely mitigates the issue. But I find that more and more people go all in and end up with 7lb hammer springs or something and the reach reduction kit, because hey heard they need that short reach, and then nothing but problems thereafter. I've removed over 50 of them over the last few years for fellow competitors up here. It's brutal. And it seems the new version of the Eemanntech disco is short reach, which sucks.

Artemas2
02-04-2023, 06:43 AM

I ran into that with the RRK and 11.5# spring. I had to switch to the 13#, and even that has trouble with some harder/magnum primers(which was never an issue until covid)

However for me, I did find the shorter DA pull more helpful than the pound or so of pull weight that I was "saving" with the 11.5#, plus my SA went down with the heavier hammer spring:confused:

Now anything the CZ doesn't like goes into 2011 or glock loads

ECK
02-04-2023, 01:00 PM
I ran into that with the RRK and 11.5# spring. I had to switch to the 13#, and even that has trouble with some harder/magnum primers(which was never an issue until covid)

However for me, I did find the shorter DA pull more helpful than the pound or so of pull weight that I was "saving" with the 11.5#, plus my SA went down with the heavier hammer spring:confused:

Now anything the CZ doesn't like goes into 2011 or glock loads

Same here only it was with the CZC short DA disco that you need to run with their flat DA/SA trigger. It worked just fine on one gun but the second one I had a short stroke of the hammer in DA mode. I ended up re-installing the stock disco and went with the Armory Craft trigger that is less curved than stock. No more short stroke hammer issues.

But on the first gun, the short DA disco is working perfectly and the hammer has a full stroke in DA near as I can tell.

jrobinson
03-16-2023, 02:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses!

jrobinson
06-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Just ordered a reach reduction kit. Let's see how it does!