PDA

View Full Version : Apple Air Tag Tracker Found Hidden on Marked NYPD Vehicle

HCM
01-24-2023, 09:43 AM
I’ve heard of Air Tags being used in “jugging” crimes but this appears to be new for anti police groups.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/apple-airtag-tracking-device-found-hidden-under-marked-nypd-vehicle-hood

Apple AirTag tracking device found hidden under marked NYPD vehicle hood
The Apple AirTag was found on a marked police car in Queens

The New York City Police Department said Monday that an Apple AirTag was discovered under the hood of a marked patrol vehicle in Queens.

The small tracking device that connects to Apple's "Find My" network was found on the police car on Sunday in a small plastic baggie.

In response to the discovery, NYPD Chief of Housing Martine Materasso reminded the department to be wary during their inspections of marked cars, given the anti-police attacks occurring across the country. The vehicles are supposed to be inspected before and after officers' tours.

"Please keep a heightened state of vigilance, in light of the anti-police sentiment we have seen not only here, but across the U.S.," Materasso wrote in the email to officers, according to the New York Daily News.

Continue looking out for each other and be safe," Materasso continued.

Apple announced last year that it was working with law enforcement to avoid "unwanted tracking" through the use of AirTags.

Every AirTag has a unique serial number, and paired AirTags are associated with an Apple ID. Apple can provide the paired account details in response to a subpoena or valid request from law enforcement," Apple wrote in their statement. "We have successfully partnered with them on cases where information we provided has been used to trace an AirTag back to the perpetrator, who was then apprehended and charged."

blues
01-24-2023, 09:52 AM
The modern day version of WWRL radio's broadcasting the NYPD "color of the day" over the airwaves back in the day. The hatred continues.

Archer1440
01-24-2023, 10:58 AM
The only way an AirTag can actually be used to track anything is to have it assigned to a specific Apple account tied to specific Apple devices.

In other words… those things work both ways. Won’t be hard to find the perp.

HCM
01-24-2023, 11:14 AM
The only way an AirTag can actually be used to track anything is to have it assigned to a specific Apple account tied to specific Apple devices.

In other words… those things work both ways. Won’t be hard to find the perp.

No, that was in the article- but nobody said purpose are really smart.

Depending on how sophisticated they are, it’s not impossible to make a dummy / dead end Apple ID account either.

My question is, is this going to turn out to be antifa or an overzealous supervisor or boyfriend/girlfriend?

rob_s
01-24-2023, 11:23 AM
boyfriend/girlfriend?

that was literally my expectation when clicking on the thread.

snow white
01-24-2023, 11:25 AM
I imagine there are a lot more of these being used in this way than you'd think.

TGS
01-24-2023, 11:31 AM
AirTags are routinely used by stalkers to facilitate harm against individuals. This is a known thing to cops working DV and sex crimes.

First time I've personally heard of it being used against police, though.

LOKNLOD
01-24-2023, 11:38 AM
If you have an apple device and an airtag (or airpods) that aren't associated with your account are "following" you, don't you get a notification?

On vacation recently my phone wore me out with notifications about the airpods that where "moving with you" - they were one of my daughter's airpods.

Archer1440
01-24-2023, 11:46 AM
No, that was in the article- but nobody said purpose are really smart.

Depending on how sophisticated they are, it’s not impossible to make a dummy / dead end Apple ID account either.

My question is, is this going to turn out to be antifa or an overzealous supervisor or boyfriend/girlfriend?

If they were THAT sophisticated they would certainly have access to rather more sophisticated tracking devices- making a fake Apple ID that actually works within their system is nontrivial.

HeavyDuty
01-24-2023, 11:55 AM
If you have an apple device and an airtag (or airpods) that aren't associated with your account are "following" you, don't you get a notification?

On vacation recently my phone wore me out with notifications about the airpods that where "moving with you" - they were one of my daughter's airpods.

They added that awhile back.

Cookie Monster
01-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Maybe it is the news reporting but the AirTag was under the hood. Despite all my ninja skills, opening a police car and popping a hood and playing an Airtag seems pretty bold thus girlfriend/boyfriend. But maybe reach up from underneath the car, probably a You Tube video on how to pop a hood without entering the car as well.

HeavyDuty
01-24-2023, 12:37 PM
My first thought was slipping it through a crack, maybe in front of the windshield.

JCN
01-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Maybe it is the news reporting but the AirTag was under the hood. Despite all my ninja skills, opening a police car and popping a hood and playing an Airtag seems pretty bold thus girlfriend/boyfriend. But maybe reach up from underneath the car, probably a You Tube video on how to pop a hood without entering the car as well.

Under the hood could be slipped up from the front grille, no?

LOKNLOD
01-24-2023, 02:44 PM
Under the hood could be slipped up from the front grille, no?

Things you don’t want, like a dead bird, or a 10mm socket, will enter and stay put.

Something you wanted to stick will fall out every damn time.

HCM
01-24-2023, 03:30 PM

If you have an iPhone with standard settings you do.

Trooper224
01-24-2023, 04:38 PM
Sounds like admin's trying to track their people. May not be romantic partners or domestic terrorists, just shit stain supervision.

blues
01-24-2023, 04:41 PM
Sounds like admin's trying to track their people. May not be romantic partners or domestic terrorists, just shit stain supervision.

We had OTAR for that back when. (Can't they track marked vehicles without using Apple gear?) I'm not up on current equipment.

45dotACP
01-24-2023, 05:42 PM
They should have left the tag at the local supermax prison.

Make it easier for the person who bought it to get where they need to be going...

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Coyotesfan97
01-24-2023, 06:06 PM
We had OTAR for that back when. (Can't they track marked vehicles without using Apple gear?) I'm not up on current equipment.

Our CAD system had GPS location tied into it. They can track your every move in the car along with your current speed. Originally it was with the assurance it wouldn’t be used for discipline. That changed when we got an asshat for a Chief. The radio system had a feature they could turn on that turned the radio into a listening device. I never heard it had actually been used but who knows.

ST911
01-24-2023, 09:28 PM
Get a couple of airtags and play with them, they can be interesting. I did that with some (consenting) helpful others. If you're not familiar...

Handy to drop in airline luggage or send on a road trip.
Lots of gaps in coverage and detection.
Functionality relies on bluetooth comms between the tag and apple devices.
It doesn't track in real time, but by updates as it connects to devices, and those devices connect to servers.
An airtag placed on an android user's vehicle may never be noticed, or not until an ios user detects it and informs the mark. Then, delayed as above.
Dummy i-account is the answer, but returns bad info. Then you go to the towers for geo-locating the suspect.
Discussion online in tech forums says they can hack the tags, redirect the notification, etc to avoid detection. Seems to work to some extent if you know how.
Found airtags may never be reported. If reported, it's late.
Mapping of an airtag's route, timestamps require outside apps. I don't think any work as well as advertised.
Notifications of airtags following you aren't as functional as apple safety notices/policies allege.
The same tag has to be detected by the same device for a specified interval of time/movement in order to generate a warning.
Make it harder to find by removing the onboard speaker (easy), or junking the case and putting the internals together in another form.

Cool widgets, but if you want to e-follow someone there's better tech.

BehindBlueI's
01-27-2023, 11:59 AM

That's already done through CAD transmitters for the car and BWC for the officers unless NYPD is way behind the curve. I could pull up a map, see every car and every officer in any given area, find any given car or officer, and can find historic data as well. They can even be set to notify set personnel if speeds exceed a certain amount and some systems can geo-fence, say notify a supervisor if a car leaves the county or whatever.

UNM1136
01-27-2023, 07:08 PM
We are WAY behind the times technologically, but even our radios (the ones in the units can't be turned off for rhis reason) are GPS enabled. Hell, after an incident almost 20 years ago our radios can be remotely bricked. Even our handhelds can now replay the last 10 transmission recieved, incase you weren't paying attention and could access the feature safely rather than admit you missed it the first time. Our radios when out of repeater service will piggyback on the nearest wifi signal.

Airtags are a lower(er) tech response to what admin already has available. But origin and motive lack any evidence to reach conclusions.

pat

DaBigBR
02-02-2023, 06:24 AM
That's already done through CAD transmitters for the car and BWC for the officers unless NYPD is way behind the curve. I could pull up a map, see every car and every officer in any given area, find any given car or officer, and can find historic data as well. They can even be set to notify set personnel if speeds exceed a certain amount and some systems can geo-fence, say notify a supervisor if a car leaves the county or whatever.

I believe that every NYPD officer has an issued iPhone, also.