PDA

View Full Version : FLETC tips in 2023

lwt16
01-16-2023, 06:22 PM
I searched a bit and didn’t see much that satisfied my curiosity.

Long story short, I’m being sent on an all expense paid trip to FLETC at Glynco. I’m traveling light/sans checked gun on a plane. Taking the bare necessities in one checked bag and one carry on.

Landing in JAX, if that matters. I’ve arranged ground transportation through FLETC already.

How’s the food? I’ve heard the accommodations are average at best. I’ve heard of shared bathrooms and the lack of cleanliness.

Anyone been recently that can offer some tips and tricks to maximize the experience? About the only luxury I require is morning coffee and a decent meal. Any help is appreciated.

And it can’t be worse than the seven days I spent in isolation in the Covid ward/hospital back in 2021.

Regards.

WobblyPossum
01-16-2023, 06:30 PM
I believe Gadfly is currently TDY there and would be able to share current info. I was there pre-COVID so I can be sure what I tell you hasn’t already changed.

There are a few decent places to eat on St. Simons Island including a pretty good barbecue spot, the name of which escapes me. It’s right past a roundabout/traffic circle I believe.

jlw
01-16-2023, 06:57 PM
There are a few decent places to eat on St. Simons Island including a pretty good barbecue spot, the name of which escapes me. It’s right past a roundabout/traffic circle I believe.

Southern Soul

WobblyPossum
01-16-2023, 07:06 PM
Southern Soul

That’s the one!

Kyle Reese
01-16-2023, 07:18 PM
Accommodations vary- you could be in a single person room or have a roommate. I stayed at the newer Taj Mahal, but that was a hike from the chow hall.

Food- breakfast fare is okay, and lunch is edible, but be aware that BOP lines up like clockwork at the chow hall prior to opening- so you may be waiting behind 100 folks prior to each meal.

I opted to explore and eat dinner on the economy a few nights a week.

Eateries Near Campus in Brunswick

Moondoggies Pizza

Nakorn Thai

Cracker Barrel

Chic FIL A

Eateries on St.Simons

Tramici (phenomenal Italian fare)

Southern Soul

Mellow Mushroom Pizza

Mallory Cafe

Del Sur (fantastic empanadas)

Hit me up with any further questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Le Français
01-16-2023, 07:32 PM
Definitely get out to Saint Simons a few times to change the scenery from the grit and grime of FLETC and Brunswick. Nearby Jekyll Island is a treat for walking around; it's cleaner and feels more historic, although I think you have to pay a parking fee before entering.

The food wasn't bad in my opinion, but I'm not terribly picky. Do try to beat the BOP and CBP hordes if class lets out early for lunch.

lwt16
01-16-2023, 08:05 PM
I won’t have a car while there so unless outside eateries are within a few miles, I’ll be stuck to the chow hall.

I’m a breakfast dinner sort of dude so lunch usually isn’t done.

Kyle Reese
01-16-2023, 08:08 PM
I won’t have a car while there so unless outside eateries are within a few miles, I’ll be stuck to the chow hall.

Ooooof. My condolences. As others have said- try to queue up for meals as early as you can- so you can beat the CBP/BOP crowds.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure they have trustees preparing and serving meals there.

lwt16
01-16-2023, 08:10 PM
Ooooof. My condolences. As others have said- try to queue up for meals as early as you can- so you can beat the CBP/BOP crowds.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, I’m pretty sure they have trustees preparing and serving meals there.

Awesome.

Kyle Reese
01-16-2023, 08:21 PM
Additionally, if you are using the FLETC fitness facilities or running tracks, you must be in the issued PT uniform, available at the gym.

lwt16
01-16-2023, 08:23 PM
Additionally, if you are using the FLETC fitness facilities or running tracks, you must be in the issued PT uniform, available at the gym.

Yeah, I’ll do body weight and walking instead. I’m training for a Mammoth March in April so I’ll need steps. 5 miles a day at work is the norm.

How early can I get coffee? I’m usually up at 0445

jlw
01-16-2023, 09:07 PM
As for the chow hall, beware that there are two lines. One is for yankee food such as oatmeal and bagels. The other will have proper breakfast food such as biscuits and bacon. I learned this the hard way. I was there for a class in which we showed up in business attire the first day. I walked into the chow hall, and all of the suits were in one line while all of the uniforms were in another. I followed the suit line, and after surveying the options, I thought I was going to be in for a long two weeks. I kept seeing uniform guys walk by with proper food; so, I hit that line the rest of my stay.

One instructor was raving about "fried chicken Tuesday" for lunch. I tried it. That instructor was from Chicago. I was raised by two southern grandmothers. They would not have served said fried chicken.

Take some jeans and non-cop t-shirts. If you do leave the post wearing cargo pants, you will stand out.

The andouille sausage at Southern Soul is work hitching a ride to go try.

Oh yeah, I have been there twice in January. Each time the temps dropped, but they had not turned on the heat in the dorms yet. I ended up going to Target and getting an electric heater.

lwt16
01-16-2023, 09:38 PM
So it’s like primitive camping only indoors with worse food you have to stand in line for.

Maybe the hospital was better than I thought.

Screwball
01-16-2023, 09:41 PM
I have a week in Harpers Ferry in the beginning of February, then maybe two weeks at Glynco in April if I get in the waitlisted FTO class.

When I went for OFO, it was mid-2019. Having a vehicle makes everything SO MUCH EASIER! We were the beginning of a hiring surge, and was one of the last classes to be by ourselves in the Taj. I have plenty of friends that were in the crack houses, but only good is being able to get back to the room during lunch. I can ask about the room situation on Thursday when I go back to work… we had two come back somewhat recently. Think we have 5 or 6 down there right now.

When I was there, you could get something quick from FLETC Express. G-bar or whatever they called it during the day was also a quick place for lunch. Don’t go there at night…

If you are at the Taj, I suggest doing laundry Friday after class, then do weekly crap either Tuesday or Thursday (depends on age, dress code and how many uniforms you have). Don’t plan on doing it Sunday night.

There are regular FLETC buses to Walmart. But it is worth it to make friends with a classmate with a vehicle. My buddy had his Camaro stolen the first weekend down there, being he went to Atlanta with his wife. Took almost the entire time to get a new car… think he got it the last week of class.

Southern Soul… get there early. Everyone I went with didn’t understand that concept, and they were always out of something. It was ok, but I’m not that huge of a fan.

Hooters was always clean, but I also was there right after it opened.

Mellow Mushroom was good. My favorite is around the corner from there… Iguanas. One of my instructors recommended it.

Coyotesfan97
01-16-2023, 09:45 PM

Dislike!

lwt16
01-16-2023, 09:47 PM
I’m only sentenced to one week so……

jlw
01-16-2023, 09:51 PM
So it’s like primitive camping only indoors with worse food you have to stand in line for.

Maybe the hospital was better than I thought.

It's not terrible, but it's not a resort.

I had an unmarked vehicle each time that I went and gladly drove for people who didn't have cars. We organized dinner groups almost every evening.

TGS
01-16-2023, 09:55 PM
Prior to covid they were housing a significant number of non-basic students (advanced, follow-on, whatever) off campus due to being over capacity, and the requirement for basic classes to be on campus. So, if that's still a thing, there's a strong chance you'll be in a holiday inn express or whatever, and get bussed in. I personally didn't know a single agent who went back for follow on training that wasn't housed off campus.

You'll have to check your gun at the visitors center, as the entire campus is a training environment. You'll be randomly walking around and have a felony stop happen in front of you, or be doing your laundry and it happens to be "warrant night" for CITP. The people acting shady and taking pictures aren't terrorists...they're just students learning to do something new and forgetting to turn off the camera's flash on night surveillance.

It's a weird place, but it can be fun...especially if you're with a good group. It's not a bad place...I stayed in the much maligned "crack houses" and was perfectly comfortable. It's basically a community college with guns.

Stay out of the G-Bar unless you're looking to get entangled in some BOP bridgetroll FLETC love drama. Nothing good happens at the G-Bar. Avoid it at all costs.

Maybe your class is different, but the typical FLETC class provides virtually everything you need. Don't overthink it.

Kyle Reese
01-16-2023, 09:57 PM

It’ll go by in a flash. You’ll be just fine.

HCM
01-16-2023, 11:34 PM

They do not have trustees preparing meals. The kitchen and serving staff are all contractors.

The quality of the food, particularly lunch and dinner varies over the long term as the contractors change every few years.

There are prison trustees working on campus doing landscaping and maintenance. I believe they are from a federal minimum security facility in Jessup, GA. You will see them eating in the chow hall as it’s one of the perks of their work detail. Last time I was there they wore unmarked green dickies type work clothes. AFAIK there’s never been an issue with them, which is more than so can say for the students.

HCM
01-16-2023, 11:39 PM
Prior to covid they were housing a significant number of non-basic students (advanced, follow-on, whatever) off campus due to being over capacity, and the requirement for basic classes to be on campus. So, if that's still a thing, there's a strong chance you'll be in a holiday inn express or whatever, and get bussed in. I personally didn't know a single agent who went back for follow on training that wasn't housed off campus.

You'll have to check your gun at the visitors center, as the entire campus is a training environment. You'll be randomly walking around and have a felony stop happen in front of you, or be doing your laundry and it happens to be "warrant night" for CITP. The people acting shady and taking pictures aren't terrorists...they're just students learning to do something new and forgetting to turn off the camera's flash on night surveillance.

It's a weird place, but it can be fun...especially if you're with a good group. It's not a bad place...I stayed in the much maligned "crack houses" and was perfectly comfortable. It's basically a community college with guns.

Stay out of the G-Bar unless you're looking to get entangled in some BOP bridgetroll FLETC love drama. Nothing good happens at the G-Bar. Avoid it at all costs.

Maybe your class is different, but the typical FLETC class provides virtually everything you need. Don't overthink it.

All of this.

BTW - the check your gun in thing for advanced / in service LEOs finally changed about 10 years ago. Previously you checked your gun and didn’t see it again till you were departing for home. Now they assign you a locker at the gate house, you lock up your gun, keep the key and can take your gun anytime you are leaving the campus.

Let’s just say that change did not happen at random.

jlw
01-17-2023, 09:41 AM
All of this.

BTW - the check your gun in thing for advanced / in service LEOs finally changed about 10 years ago. Previously you checked your gun and didn’t see it again till you were departing for home. Now they assign you a locker at the gate house, you lock up your gun, keep the key and can take your gun anytime you are leaving the campus.

Let’s just say that change did not happen at random.

Feds, yes. Locals, no.

I went to the Glynco campus in 2016 and 2017, and we had to turn in weapons at the welcome center. We could check them out if leaving post, but the process was extremely time consuming. We did not have a key to individual lockers. They also had us strip all ammo out of the mags. The ammo was put into a ziplocked bag and kept by the welcome center. We were given back our empty mags.

lwt16
01-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Not taking a gun.

Earliest I can get coffee? If that was covered, I failed to notice.

Screwball
01-17-2023, 01:06 PM
Not taking a gun.

Earliest I can get coffee? If that was covered, I failed to notice.

Think the buses start heading to the cafeteria a little before 6:00. Cafeteria opens at 6:00.

The main classroom building has a Starbucks, but don’t think it will open before 6:00. Computer lab building has another small shop… I want to say they have coffee brewing, but can’t remember.

There should be a small coffee maker in your room.

RJflyer
01-17-2023, 05:20 PM
Im currently at Glynco for an advanced course. We got put up in a local hotel for the duration. No roommates. If you don't have a POV or rental car, then you'll have to take the FLETC shuttle bus to and from base.

Gadfly
01-19-2023, 01:49 PM
Crap, I have not checked PF in a couple months.

Been taking breaks from the internet. I was at FLETC the past 7 plus months. Working as an FI on the range and part time in the supply issue, i never had a desk, so i was not sitting around surfing the net all day. It was a nice break. Today was my first day back in my Houston Cubicle, so I finally decided to hop back on PF.

Sorry to miss the info. Had I been paying attention, I would have met up with you and allowed you to buy me a beer!

Looks like you got most of the info you need, and have probably already returned home. But if you had any other questions, shout them out!

And you guys... Southern Soul is good, but seating and parking suck. Gary Lee's Market is an old gas station turned BBQ joint, about 4 miles south of Brunswick. They know their way around a brisket. For Pizza, "V's Pizza" on the island has a coal fired oven and makes a great hand tossed thin crust artisan style pizza.

ECS686
01-19-2023, 07:57 PM

The few times I have been there for re cert I have seen minimum security Camp inmates from the Satellite Camp at FCI Jessup down the road.

As far as food if you like seafood I’d recommend you hit Mullet Bay in St Simmons.

Jimichanga
01-20-2023, 12:15 AM

Dude, that is nothing you should be able to do that standing on your head. The chow hall is pretty good as far as chow halls go. There will always be plenty of classmates with cars if you can't drive your POV. Enjoy!

lwt16
01-24-2023, 07:54 PM
Im currently at Glynco for an advanced course. We got put up in a local hotel for the duration. No roommates. If you don't have a POV or rental car, then you'll have to take the FLETC shuttle bus to and from base.

Nailed it!

And the chow hall is a “no-go”.

Thanks for all the tips to all who replied.

Le Français
01-24-2023, 09:02 PM
Nailed it!

And the chow hall is a “no-go”.

Thanks for all the tips to all who replied.

Decent hotel? A colleague of mine went for an advanced course and FLETC put him up in, and I’m paraphrasing, a decaying hole crawling with gangsters.

lwt16
01-25-2023, 05:16 AM
Decent hotel? A colleague of mine went for an advanced course and FLETC put him up in, and I’m paraphrasing, a decaying hole crawling with gangsters.

Actually, the hotel is rather nice. Very pleased with it.