PDA

View Full Version : Trigger weight vs length

jslaker
03-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Good topic of discussion that just got mentioned in another thread - the importance of trigger pull length as opposed to simple weight.

P.S. if the mods feel this is a discussion better suited to another of our topical forums, feel free to move it.

DannyZRC
03-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Yes, I would be curious to know more about the safety implications of longer/heavier triggers etc.

I know I once read about a study done with police officers touching and pulling their triggers under simulated stress even though they were trained otherwise and also reported not touching triggers in post-experimental interviews.

I wish I could remember where I read it, but since I can't I just refer to it as apocryphal evidence at this point.

DannyZRC
03-31-2011, 02:06 AM
nobody?

rsa-otc
03-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Yo Dude;

Took me awhile to find it but here's a link to a study about trigger pull and involuntary discharges.

http://www.policeone.com/news/1208969-Involuntary-Firearms-Discharge-Does-the-finger-obey-the-brain/

Quite frankly I'm coming to the mind that I want a longish consistent thru out and shot to shot trigger pull similar to "EEE Gads" a revolver. Maybe not with the revolvers pull weight but approx 6 lbs seems right to me similar to Todd's HK LEM modification. That way I have a CHANCE to catch and correct myself if the bugger hook mistakenly makes it's way onto the bang button. Single Action leaves little room for human error. Even DA/SA auto's if you don't immediately decock between possible threats leave you open to this problem. Now during my carrier I've carried 1911's 2nd and 3rd Generation S&W DA/SA autos and have yet to shoot anyone. The one time it came close is when a kid came up behind me and stuck a gun like object in my back and said "stick em up" I spun drew and was 1/2 thru the DA pull of my revolver before I realized that it was a kid with a stick. If that had been a gun with a crisp SA action that kid would have had a hole in him.

Tamara
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Single Action leaves little room for human error.

I found out that as useful a technique as the press-out is, I was unable to use it with my 1911s. I just don't have the motor control to "take up the slack" in a trigger with so little slack to take up. This discovery has actually had me toying with the idea of going back to a DA/SA SIG...

rsa-otc
03-31-2011, 10:04 AM
I found out that as useful a technique as the press-out is, I was unable to use it with my 1911s. I just don't have the motor control to "take up the slack" in a trigger with so little slack to take up. This discovery has actually had me toying with the idea of going back to a DA/SA SIG...

I find the same with my M&P. While it's not as crisp and slack free as a 1911 trigger, getting the timing just right has been a challenge. Actually I'm having better luck with my revolvers utilizing the press out. Of course I've only been yanking the trigger on a DA K frame revolver for 30 plus years I better have it right after all this time. LOL

ToddG
03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
The longer your trigger stroke, the more a good press out comes into play.
No matter what kind of gun you're shooting, getting the gun aimed and the slack out before reaching full extension is a time-saver.
You aren't trying to time the shot to break perfectly at extension. If it happens a little before that's almost a bonus. If it happens a little after, you're still probably ahead of the curve.

DannyZRC
03-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Yo Dude;

Took me awhile to find it but here's a link to a study about trigger pull and involuntary discharges.

http://www.policeone.com/news/1208969-Involuntary-Firearms-Discharge-Does-the-finger-obey-the-brain/

Quite frankly I'm coming to the mind that I want a longish consistent thru out and shot to shot trigger pull similar to "EEE Gads" a revolver. Maybe not with the revolvers pull weight but approx 6 lbs seems right to me similar to Todd's HK LEM modification. That way I have a CHANCE to catch and correct myself if the bugger hook mistakenly makes it's way onto the bang button. Single Action leaves little room for human error. Even DA/SA auto's if you don't immediately decock between possible threats leave you open to this problem. Now during my carrier I've carried 1911's 2nd and 3rd Generation S&W DA/SA autos and have yet to shoot anyone. The one time it came close is when a kid came up behind me and stuck a gun like object in my back and said "stick em up" I spun drew and was 1/2 thru the DA pull of my revolver before I realized that it was a kid with a stick. If that had been a gun with a crisp SA action that kid would have had a hole in him.

Thanks very much! Both for the link, and for the anecdotes.

Very much appreciated, :)

rsa-otc
03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks very much! Both for the link, and for the anecdotes.

Very much appreciated, :)

No problems Dude. Always happy to share. Thats why we're all here. :cool: