PDA

View Full Version : .375 H&H

GJM
10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
This morning, I verified zero with my 6+1 cartridge, 7 pound Brockman .375 H&H model 70, with 300 grain Trophy Bonded ammo, that I plan to take deer hunting on Kodiak Island in a few weeks. With zero confirmed, I got to shoot 200 yard steel -- let's just say the recoil was invigorating, and the steel swinger moved a tad further than with .556 or 7.62x51. Afterwards I shot some Brenneke slugs at 100 yards thru my Beretta Storm shotgun and Vang 14 inch 870, and they felt sub-caliber by comparison.

LOKNLOD
10-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Damn, that's a rifle. :cool:

JDM
10-05-2012, 01:09 PM
GJM, that's an absolutely awesome piece.

Kyle Reese
10-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Bloody marvelous. :cool:

John Ralston
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
BAD ASS!! I so want a 375 some day. It looks great.

GJM
10-05-2012, 02:40 PM
While .375 H&H isn't my first choice for a deer cartridge, the rifle/cartridge combination is out of respect for Alaska's largest brown bears which inhabit the area we will be hunting. My wife is carrying a .338 WM, and I am substituting a four inch Scandium .44 for my regular Glock 20/29 back-up handgun.

Al T.
10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
I've got that rifle's little brother. It's a Brockman built Rem 600 Scout with the same color green painted stock, .308, Ching sling, finished in Birdsong's Black-T and a M700 bolt handle.

I really need to get a camera.

My .375 is a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless.

TGS
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Emphasis mine.

This morning, I verified zero with my 6+1 cartridge, 7 pound Brockman .375 H&H model 70, with 300 grain Trophy Bonded ammo,

:eek:

Oh, and what sling is that?

GJM
10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
The sling is something I made up myself, with an objective of offering the "sling up" ability of a Ching sling, but at less weight and using just two instead of three attach points. I took part of a Langlois Ching sling and added a simple AR style carry strap.

This rifle also started 10 or 12 years ago, as a stainless, synthetic, controlled feed modern model 70, and has gone through various iterations over the years. Jim Brockman has laid hands on virtually every bolt and lever gun I have.

NETim
10-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Oh my! Now there's a business gun.

I've shot a 10+lb .375 (my bro's old Win Mdl 70- straight taper 25" barrel, somewhat mindful of a truck axle) but I dunno about a 7 lb'er.

The old H&H is hard on prairie dogs. :)

JHC
10-05-2012, 05:50 PM
While .375 H&H isn't my first choice for a deer cartridge, the rifle/cartridge combination is out of respect for Alaska's largest brown bears which inhabit the area we will be hunting. My wife is carrying a .338 WM, and I am substituting a four inch Scandium .44 for my regular Glock 20/29 back-up handgun.

Well with that much rifle I guess cutting back on the handgun is ok. ;)

Al T.
10-05-2012, 07:12 PM
A guy who is well known on TFL/THR is a Kodiak resident and got chomped on by a bear while Blacktail hunting. Walked between a momma and cubs. Never saw the bear coming.

SLG
10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
GJM,

That's a sweet gun, thanks for the pic. What stock is that? Brockman has worked on every bolt and lever that I actually use as well. Waiting on one right now from him. M70, or course.

Al T,

I'd love to see a pic of that gun, if you can. I have a 600 scout that I don't use. Maybe I should rethink that.

I have a Kimber Talkeetna in .375, and a Caprivi, also in .375. Lets just say that the Caprivi is fun to shoot and the Talkeetna is fun to carry.

TGS
10-06-2012, 12:46 AM
The sling is something I made up myself, with an objective of offering the "sling up" ability of a Ching sling, but at less weight and using just two instead of three attach points. I took part of a Langlois Ching sling and added a simple AR style carry strap.

Nice expedient use of materials. It reminded me of the TAB sling (https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-gear-sling.html), but without all the fastex buckles.

GJM
10-06-2012, 07:51 AM
I believe the stock is a Brown Precision, that Brockman added the blind drop box to. We wanted extra capacity, but at minimum weight, and without the edges of a metal drop box.

As to recoil, shooting the rifle in the field, you never notice it, although I wouldn't want to do an extended sight in session with it from prone. My wife had a 7.5 pound .416, and that started to be something you would notice. I hunted elephant with a PH that carried a 6.5 pound .458 Lott, and that definitely got your attention. His lead tracker carried his FN-FAL (full auto) which made for an interesting combination.

I don't have collector firearms, with one exception -- this pre-64 .375 owned by a missionary in Africa. Each notch represents an elephant he harvested for the ivory to fund their work.

Prdator
10-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Dude!!!
That's Awesome!! I'd expect to see this post on 24hr campfire or AR.
I love my 375 but it's a 375 RUM that my local smith built, pacnor 3 grove and McMillan on a Stainless 70 action.
I'm a speed nut so it's running a two scope set up one for 300ge TSX ( 1.5-5 Lupy) and with the 270 gr TSX running 3050fps I'm running a 3.5-10 B&C retical, rings are quick change Tallys.

Be sure and post up pic's of the hunt man!!!!

Al T.
10-06-2012, 09:07 AM
GJM, that M70 reminds me of a Cogswell & Harrison .375 my PH had as a loaner rifle. I'd have traded him my Sako in a heartbeat.

GJM
10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
As long as were are talking .375 H&H, I have been to Africa four times, and taken a .375 each trip as a light rifle. My reasoning was that the .375 could harvest plains game well, back-up my larger rifle hunting dangerous game, and be large enough to defend myself if something big charged while hunting plains game.

The last three trips, I took a pre-64 model 70 with a Swarovski 1-4, worked over by Jim Brockman. Shot many smaller animals thru eland size, plus lion, leopard and the odd buffalo. Here is a buff that I shot with a .470 NE on a lion hunt in Zambia, and finished off with a brain shot with the .375 model 70.

Al T.
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I think the .375 is more viable today than when I went in 1989 as we have better ammo. I have a small collection of Winchester "solids" taken from my second Buffalo that were actually FMJ. The collection looks like crap as the FMJ bullets bent, riveted and squirted lead from the open base. :mad: The RWS soft points worked well. I was stationed in Germany at the time and ammo was hard to come by. My Sako .375 was my only rifle.

I did take a couple of ducks when we were in NW Botswana when we got a bit tired of Impala. :cool:

When I go back, dry land hippo looks like fun. That rifle will probably be a .416 of some flavor.

JHC
10-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Did you punch holes in the ducks with the .375?

JFK
10-06-2012, 01:53 PM
GJM,

What glass do you have on that? Also I was wondering if you have trouble with the eye relief at all being so far forward.

Also have you tried to do a FAST drill with it at lets say 100m?

Jay

TGS
10-06-2012, 02:11 PM
GJM,

What glass do you have on that? Also I was wondering if you have trouble with the eye relief at all being so far forward.

Jay

Looks like a Leupold to me.

There's a couple scopes which are designed to be mounted farther forward, and have 8"-15" of eye relief, in between pistols scopes which usually are 15"-20" (or more) and traditional scopes around 3"-4".

They're usually referred to as scout scopes, as popularized by Jeff Cooper's scout rifle concept. What GJM has is a certifiable "thumper" rifle in Coopers' line of thought (big bored scout rifle).

Here's a listing of some scout scopes (http://swfa.com/Search.aspx?k=scout&t=)......not shown is the Leupold 2.5x20, similar to the Burris 2.75x20.

GJM
10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
GJM,

Jay

It is a Leupold 2.5 power, intermediate eye relief scope designed to be forward mounted on rifles. It is marginal in terms of being quality glass, but the forward position allows aperture sights to be permanently mounted, opens up the loading port for faster reloading, and keeps the scope out of your face with heavier caliber rifles.

I have done all sorts of rapid bolt action shooting over the years, but .375 H&H is at the threshold of what I want to shoot a lot, fast, without something trying to chew on me. I once ran a field course at Gunsite with a .458 Lott, and after about 20 rounds, I was a bit woozy.

"Thumper" is the inspiration for this rifle, as it is designed to work interchangeably with a 45-70 Guide Gun, or shotgun with Brenneke slugs for defense against grizzly bears.

Al T.
10-06-2012, 02:49 PM
JHC, yeah. :D I was trying to line two of them up, didn't quite work out.

Dagga Boy
10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
GREAT LOOKING RIFLE! That thing is set up nice. I have a "beater" Brown precision custom Pre 64 Winchester in .375 H&H. I fell into it at one of my favorite gun shops in Lake Havasu. It was the saddle rifle for 25 years for a professional bear hunting guide in Alaska who retired to Lake Havasu (there is a dude who really never wants to see snow again). It was a great deal because I knew exactly what it was and the store didn't. I want to get some kind of scout mount done and run an Aimpoint ahead of the receiver. It seems that the only ones who talk about bear guns are on the internet and the guys in Alaska simply carry big bore levers or big game rifles..........interesting:confused:. I did a bunch of research after buying my rifle and found that .375 H&H is very popular in Alaska and other areas with aggressive bears as the are effective on both typical hunting game and bears who look at hunters as game.

GJM
10-06-2012, 06:57 PM
My 6+1 .375 has Talley bases/rings, and I have a 30mm Aimpoint mounted in a Talley ring and zeroed for the rifle. If I had to follow-up a bear in thick cover I would like the dot to augment the irons. Jim Brockman would be a great guy to help you with that.

I prefer a Marlin Guide Gun for pure defense as it is so short and trim, but for hunting, I value the reach out of the .375 H&H. Brockman also set me up a .450 Marlin in a short action model 70, with a drop box magazine holding about six cartridges, that has aperture sights, a scout scope, and an Aimpoint (goes on the Talley base) and loaded me ammo (a 350 grain Barnes X and 400 grain Swift A Frame) that is like .458 WM light in a 6.5 pound, short package. Putting the .450 Marlin into a bolt allows you to use bullets that would be a no go in the lever, plus load them hotter.

Matt C.
10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
375 Holland & Holland
One World One Cartridge

Al T.
10-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Holy Cow! :eek:

It was a great deal because I knew exactly what it was and the store didn't.

I just visited Brown Precision's web site and price list. Dang!

GJM
10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
We are back from our Kodiak deer hunt, and hunting hard, my wife got a beautiful Sitka blacktail buck.

And, I LOVE my .375 H&H!