PDA

View Full Version : *IF* you could ask Grauffel 1 question about shooting, what would it be?

Sal Picante
01-01-2023, 02:36 PM
IF you could ask Eric Grauffel 1 question about shooting, what would it be?

JCN
01-01-2023, 02:41 PM

How do you keep your hair so well manicured while shredding targets?

1911Nut
01-01-2023, 03:04 PM
"If I buy a new pistol exactly like yours, I should be able to shoot as well as you within a week or so, right?"

I think it would be interesting just to observe his reaction to the question and how he would answer it.

GJM
01-01-2023, 03:10 PM
Timely, as my wife and I watched an interview with him today. I was impressed how he practiced at 2am to get ready for the time difference at the World Shoot.

1Rangemaster
01-01-2023, 03:36 PM
That’s dedicated!
Professionals like him are almost like wizards to me; I am in awe of their work, talent and performance.

My legitimate question: suggested dry practice routine(s), and how(if) he confirms with live fire…?
(Yeah, I know-2 questions)

Archer1440
01-01-2023, 04:42 PM
Timely, as my wife and I watched an interview with him today. I was impressed how he practiced at 2am to get ready for the time difference at the World Shoot.

When I was a competitive archer on the US National Team, before any major events, I would shift my schedule to the local time of the competition location by up to two hours a day until I matched the local time of the event. This could take up to a week for competitions in places like Japan. I spent two weeks in the Central European time zone while still at home before competing in the World Games in Germany.

It always paid off for me.

The downside is that particularly for events in the far east, it would often take two weeks to normalize upon return home. I still have that problem. I got back from an event in Taiwan two weeks ago, and I'm still waking up between 2 and 4 AM.

Oldherkpilot
01-01-2023, 04:49 PM
When I was a competitive archer on the US National Team, before any major events, I would shift my schedule to the local time of the competition location by up to two hours a day until I matched the local time of the event. This could take up to a week for competitions in places like Japan. I spent two weeks in the Central European time zone while still at home before competing in the World Games in Germany.

It always paid off for me.

The downside is that particularly for events in the far east, it would often take two weeks to normalize upon return home. I still have that problem. I got back from an event in Taiwan two weeks ago, and I'm still waking up between 2 and 4 AM.

An easy rule of thumb is one day for every hour of time change. Not that there's much you can do about it.

Clusterfrack
01-01-2023, 05:40 PM

I want to know what tips he has for staying relaxed while moving at the limits of human performance.

YVK
01-01-2023, 05:58 PM
How to develop an accurate system of self-diagnosis.

cheby
01-02-2023, 12:17 AM
My wife was on the Olympic Team. Before any major competitions (National events, World Cups, and so on) she would try to save energy to the point that she would count her steps a couple days before the event making sure she stayed rested as much as possible. Sleep deprivation is what personally affects my performance the most.

Sal Picante
01-03-2023, 09:39 AM
How do you keep your hair so well manicured while shredding targets?

A hat.

Sal Picante
01-03-2023, 09:40 AM
"If I buy a new pistol exactly like yours, I should be able to shoot as well as you within a week or so, right?"

I think it would be interesting just to observe his reaction to the question and how he would answer it.

Never Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtYyjfSpYEM

Sal Picante
01-03-2023, 09:41 AM
That’s dedicated!
Professionals like him are almost like wizards to me; I am in awe of their work, talent and performance.

My legitimate question: suggested dry practice routine(s), and how(if) he confirms with live fire…?
(Yeah, I know-2 questions)

You should watch/listen to the Firearms Nation podcast with Arik Levy interviewing him. He talks a bit about this.

Cheap Shot
01-03-2023, 09:54 AM
How do I pull the trigger at speed without moving the sight alignment?

Sal Picante
01-03-2023, 10:25 AM
My wife was on the Olympic Team. Before any major competitions (National events, World Cups, and so on) she would try to save energy to the point that she would count her steps a couple days before the event making sure she stayed rested as much as possible. Sleep deprivation is what personally affects my performance the most.

#sleepisaperformanceenhancingdrug (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=sleepisaperformanceenhancingdrug)

Archer1440
01-03-2023, 12:51 PM
I’m no Grauffel by any means, but I am reasonably well known within my very specific lane- and in hundreds of seminars I have done in 30 countries around the world in the past three decades, the question of “how do I succeed” (win a world championship or Olympic Games, make a National Team, or whatever one’s metric for success may be) ALWAYS comes up, and it’s the exact same answer, no matter the sport.

Do the work.

(In Olympic archery with 50# recurve bows, the “work” is an average of 300-450 quality shots a day, six days a week, and a good mental and PT program. For starters.)

Grauffel outlined his training plan on one of the recent podcasts. Two months before a match, 500 rounds a day. Ramping up to a thousand with a month to go, and 2000-2500 rounds per day in the last 15 days before an event.

All live fire.

The hard truth is that 99.95% of the people who think they want these achievements will never put the work in to get there.

ECK
01-03-2023, 09:00 PM
Do french chicks dig splits?

JCN
01-03-2023, 10:50 PM
“how do I succeed” (win a world championship or Olympic Games, make a National Team, or whatever one’s metric for success may be) ALWAYS comes up, and it’s the exact same answer, no matter the sport.

Do the work.

The hard truth is that 99.95% of the people who think they want these achievements will never put the work in to get there.

I love this so much.

Sal Picante
01-03-2023, 10:53 PM
Do french chicks dig splits?

oui

I mean, he's got kids, right?

ECK
01-03-2023, 11:05 PM
oui

I mean, he's got kids, right?

Mais oui, bien sur!

Slavex
01-12-2023, 10:09 PM
Eric's squad followed me at the WS in Thailand a month ago and we chatted a fair bit between runs. One day 1 I asked him how he felt, and he said "nervous, I'm always nervous for the first stage". I was blown away by that, I'd expected him to be well past that, but he said it's what keeps him going too.

Sal Picante
01-13-2023, 02:34 PM
Eric's squad followed me at the WS in Thailand a month ago and we chatted a fair bit between runs. One day 1 I asked him how he felt, and he said "nervous, I'm always nervous for the first stage". I was blown away by that, I'd expected him to be well past that, but he said it's what keeps him going too.

Boss! Haven't seen you on the 'net in a bit. Glad to hear from you.

Excited - just a few days before I take a class with Eric...

Time to load.

Eyesquared
01-13-2023, 04:08 PM
I’m no Grauffel by any means, but I am reasonably well known within my very specific lane- and in hundreds of seminars I have done in 30 countries around the world in the past three decades, the question of “how do I succeed” (win a world championship or Olympic Games, make a National Team, or whatever one’s metric for success may be) ALWAYS comes up, and it’s the exact same answer, no matter the sport.

Do the work.

(In Olympic archery with 50# recurve bows, the “work” is an average of 300-450 quality shots a day, six days a week, and a good mental and PT program. For starters.)

Grauffel outlined his training plan on one of the recent podcasts. Two months before a match, 500 rounds a day. Ramping up to a thousand with a month to go, and 2000-2500 rounds per day in the last 15 days before an event.

All live fire.

My first thought on hearing that is that I'm impressed he can do that routine without tendinitis or other overuse injuries. I know Gaston Vallerga who was also at the WS was basically fighting forearm injuries the whole match which I imagine had to hamper his performance.

Slavex
01-13-2023, 06:22 PM
Boss! Haven't seen you on the 'net in a bit. Glad to hear from you.

Excited - just a few days before I take a class with Eric...

Time to load.

Where you taking the course?????? How many days, how many people on it?

Magsz
01-14-2023, 02:35 AM
My first thought on hearing that is that I'm impressed he can do that routine without tendinitis or other overuse injuries. I know Gaston Vallerga who was also at the WS was basically fighting forearm injuries the whole match which I imagine had to hamper his performance.

This. With his live fire schedule, how the hell does he stay injury free?

Sal Picante
01-18-2023, 10:53 AM

I'm fighting through some tendon issues myself - mostly from Gi-grips in jiujitsu - took a few days off and it is better. Stretching really helps.

Sal Picante
01-18-2023, 10:54 AM
Where you taking the course?????? How many days, how many people on it?

Ruskin, FL. He's doing 2, 2-day classes. Both are stacked with a bunch of solid shooters.

YVK
01-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Ruskin, FL. He's doing 2, 2-day classes. Both are stacked with a bunch of solid shooters.

I change my previous submission for "one question to Grauffel" to "how does one find out in advance about your classes in the US".

Sal Picante
01-18-2023, 04:08 PM
I change my previous submission for "one question to Grauffel" to "how does one find out in advance about your classes in the US".

Someone (not I) was coordinating the class/reg/etc for this one. I was invited...

Slavex
01-20-2023, 08:43 PM
Someone (not I) was coordinating the class/reg/etc for this one. I was invited...

the gf and I are hoping to do a 2 day private with Eric and then a 1 day with Ljubisa in March after IWA.

Sal Picante
01-24-2023, 12:49 PM
the gf and I are hoping to do a 2 day private with Eric and then a 1 day with Ljubisa in March after IWA.

Learned a lot... Took a copious amount of notes.

I cried for a moment last night, "Why have I been doing it wrong all these years!!?!" - now I can work on rebuilding this shit.

medmo
01-24-2023, 02:35 PM

“If you’re not where you are. If you’re not where you want to be. If you don’t have what you want, want to have. If you’re not where you think you should be at this particular place. It has nothing to do with the system, but it has everything to do with the fact that you’re not making the sacrifice.”
— Eric Thomas

Archer1440
01-24-2023, 05:18 PM

Every top athlete I personally know in any sport- some of whom are people you have heard of, or various Olympic Champions you haven't, ALL have that in common. If they say they aren't feeling a butterfly or three, they are very likely to be lying to you.

Interesting aside. Certain beta blockers also have the side effect of removing the usual pre-match stress for most people, which is one reason they are universally banned in most Olympic sports. But, in controlled testing conducted in the 1980's, it was discovered that competitors using these drugs generally did not reach the levels that they would achieve without them. As one of the testers told me "the thing is, I just didn't care. If I shot a 10, I didn't care. If I shot a 7, I didn't care, either."

It is that very heightened pre-competition state that allows the best to achieve their best. You NEED some nerves to do great things.

The difference is how those competitors channel those nerves. Some people are overwhelmed by the stress, while others use it to focus better at the moment of truth.

I am pretty sure the same applies to people who have made their name as gunfighters.

YVK
01-24-2023, 07:00 PM

Top two lessons, in a cliff notes format?

Eyesquared
02-01-2023, 07:32 PM

I cried for a moment last night, "Why have I been doing it wrong all these years!!?!" - now I can work on rebuilding this shit.

When you put it like that I have to ask - what are the big things you'd do differently? I have seen a lot of people posting about doing only 1 run of a given exercise and then moving on. I get the sense from listening to some of the interviews Eric did after winning the 2022 World Shoot that he is big on training to execute stages at a match well and not just shoot well in a general sense.

Sal Picante
02-01-2023, 08:41 PM
When you put it like that I have to ask - what are the big things you'd do differently? I have seen a lot of people posting about doing only 1 run of a given exercise and then moving on. I get the sense from listening to some of the interviews Eric did after winning the 2022 World Shoot that he is big on training to execute stages at a match well and not just shoot well in a general sense.

The 1 run things is neat: you're essentially constantly working on the programming/re-programming aspect of your performance.

What am I doing differently?

I've become interested in my shooting again - after doing this, seemingly, forever, one is bound to have ebbs and flows in the performance/shooting - I gave up on Production because I felt like I hit a wall there and it became no fun, irrelevant to what I was trying to do at the time. I've come to really like Limited and maybe even feel ready to entertain shooting .40 again. Something, along the way, really clicked:

A lot of the finer details he had about training to not "max out a PR", but to really build consistency was awesome. People keep posting these parlor tricks and it is of limited value in competition (and perhaps on the skreetz). Brandon Powers is probably one of the only other people out there that I've really spoken to about "how to build"/building consistency.

The mindset of "just don't shit the bed" is really interesting and allows one to "tune" the performance. I shot the hell out of the FL State match (Limited Minor) and came a hair close to winning. I owe a lot of that to his emphasis of attacking/holding on stages based on the HF that others had posted up.

His approach to movement was unique and something I'd come across before (with Bill Drummond). I think I need to dig into that more and see what I can wring out of my performances there. Doing BJJ and S&C has been a huge positive impact in my life. I think I need to revisit some of the training in my movement patterns with and without the gun...

Sometimes you hear the lessons over and over but you're not ready. Then you hear them and boom it all just makes sense. Have you changed in any real material way, or was it a firmware upgrade that switched the flip and you're ready to accept the potential that's been building up in you?