PDA

View Full Version : MOE size for carry Optics??

asn
12-30-2022, 07:01 PM
I'm new to USPSA, and want to mount an optic on my CZ Shadow. I've used iron sites forever, so please coach me. what size MOE is best for competition, and why?

Lon
12-30-2022, 11:11 PM
I'm new to USPSA, and want to mount an optic on my CZ Shadow. I've used iron sites forever, so please coach me. what size MOE is best for competition, and why?

I think you mean MOA size dot? If that’s the case, that’s a very individual opinion. For example, my best friend and I have each been shooting USPSA for almost 30 years. He prefers a 5-6 MOA dot. I prefer the 2.5-3ish MOA dot. Your best bet is to see if you can find rental examples to shoot at a local range and give ‘em a whirl.

JCN
12-30-2022, 11:35 PM
5-6 is standard for USPSA.

RJ
12-31-2022, 10:00 AM
I suck at USPSA, with 15 matches and a 38% D in Production. Having said that, I switched from irons to a HS507C set to a 2 MOA dot on both a carry G19 and competition G34. Due to my disuse due to: reasons and aforementioned lack of skill, my last couple of matches I had trouble finding the 2 MOA dot.

In 2022 I added a 6 MOA dot 407K to my P365X for carry and sold the G19. I’m about to buy a 6 MOA EPS Carry for an XL slide + Macro Grip P365 to rejoin shooting in USPSA for 2023. At my skill level, I think a 6 MOA dot (1.57” at 25 yds) is more than accurate, considering I need to work on almost anything except the shooting part to do better in matches.

asn
12-31-2022, 10:53 AM
thanks guys, and yes I meant MOA.

1911Nut
12-31-2022, 07:51 PM
Lon's suggestion to try before you buy is a good one if you can make it happen. Personally, I strongly prefer a 5-6.5 MOA dot for the type of shooting you are considering. A smaller 2" dot is better suited for slower, more precise shooting for ME. Multi-reticle optics, while interesting and offering "choices" for the shooter, mostly appear far too "busy" for ME.

Quantrill
12-31-2022, 11:26 PM

This

ECK
12-31-2022, 11:27 PM
I’m in the 5-6MOA camp as well for gun games and carry purposes.

My first dot was a 6MOA C-more and I guess I just got used to that sight picture, and the dot isn’t too big for shooting inside of 50 yds. My comp guns all have 5MOA and my carry/HD guns have 6 or 6.5MOA dots. I never really took to the 2MOA dot w/ 32MOA ring that many of the Holosun’s have, tho I do have a HS with the 8MOA ring (jury is still out on that one).

Tensaw
01-01-2023, 07:47 AM

This is interesting to me. I'm with RJ in that, I cannot use the precision offered by a 2 MOA dot. Hell, even the great big ol' multi-MOA circle on the Holoson just does "cover" the door knob or light switch from across the room.

So why is 2 MOA so common and 5/6 MOA so seldom offered? Running a 509T and would have loved a 5/6 MOA dot on that.

JCN
01-01-2023, 09:02 AM
This is interesting to me. I'm with RJ in that, I cannot use the precision offered by a 2 MOA dot. Hell, even the great big ol' multi-MOA circle on the Holoson just does "cover" the door knob or light switch from across the room.

So why is 2 MOA so common and 5/6 MOA so seldom offered? Running a 509T and would have loved a 5/6 MOA dot on that.

My estimation is that 5-6 works well for action pistol and sports where there’s a lot of movement and extra induced “wobble” in the shots. The 5-6 MOA is like an auto-ranging, auto-scaling shot calling size on USPSA A-zone size targets for typical USPSA ranges.

If a bullet is <1 MOA impact, having a 6 MOA dot held inside the borders of a scoring zone gives you 2-3 MOA of wobble and drop to make sure the hit is still good.

With a 2MOA at speed, I can run the risk of calling a shot “good” but because the dot is so small, the mechanical wobble can put me too close to the edge.

But with a 5-6 MOA, I can hold it inside the target and a whiff away from the edge and I know I’m good with my mechanics.

I don’t know why the 2 MOA is popular. Maybe for people who like bench resting and slow fire?

Small MOA sometimes is hard to pick up in terms of brightness or lack thereof sometimes. Especially in bright sunlight.

However…

For the flip-side though…

With a small window actual carry gun… I actually like the huge circle dot because it’s A zone at 7-10 yards and easier to pick up and track with the small window.

For example, I shot this with a 507k using the circle dot reticle.

https://youtu.be/ysLLBd1blJw

asn
01-01-2023, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

ECK
01-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Running a 509T and would have loved a 5/6 MOA dot on that.

Amen! Maybe if enough people clamor for it, HS will listen.

I can shoot a RDS w/ a smaller red dot, it’s just that I feel like it’s easier to see if I turn it up a click or two more than I would a 5-6MOA. But then it blooms a little.