PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick a handgun/system

shooter220
10-04-2012, 01:06 PM
So what do folks consider when changing handguns? A million variables enter my mind, partially inspired by the 2,000 round test thread. The variables aren't the hard part to me, it is identifying the thresholds that answer the question.

In terms of fit - the million dollar problem in my mind is I need a lot of trigger time and carry time to figure out if I like something, or if I shoot it well. How much does shooting a rental or borrowed gun figure in? How much does it really matter? I know that in the revolver domain, Jerry Miculek can outshoot me with any functioning gun - but his custom gear fits him better and works a little smoother and gives him a little bit MORE advantage. How much of it is "buy something that works, then learn to shoot it (or make it fit you better)" and how much of it is "buy something that fits you, and make it work"?

The 2,000 round thread has me pretty convinced that if I were switching systems, there aren't many candidates out there. It really almost looks like the polymer guns are owning the market lately between the H&K, Glock, S&W M&P and the xD/xDM models. I have historically been a Sig person, and am not looking for a reason to change, but getting an exact duplicate of my Sig as a back-up would likely be harder than buying two new Glocks or M&Ps.

Any thoughts?

-shooter

YVK
10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
The answer to "what to switch to and how to pick it out" is 100% secondary to question "why to switch". For example, me going from 1911 to Glock was done for purposes of learning Glock trigger and getting off SA hook, learning to use the world's most common pistol, increasing the volume of practice. Going from Glock to P30 was again to learn a more difficult trigger and switching to a hammer-based firing mechanism for purposes of AIWB. When I can answer "why?", the "what" becomes relatively easy.
As far as customization, I generally shoot it a bit, and do not hesitate to customize it early and extensively if I so desire. I want a max performance and if I believe the mod will help, I don't want any second-guessing. Is it possible that the mod/custom work ended up being of no benefit? Of course it is, but such is life.

Sparks2112
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
If you shoot Sigs well then stick with them. At the end of the day any thoughts that any of us offer are going to be based off of our own wants/needs/mission. To parrot what some of the Rock Stars on the forum have said, pick a reliable platform that you can afford to practice with.

I have an H&K addiction, absolutely love them from an ergonomic aesthetic standpoint, but they are not the guns I shoot the best. I absolutely hate glocks, but shoot them pretty well. I'm currently carrying an M&P 45 midsize because the M&P with the DCAEK is everything I want. It'd be a 9mm if I could A) afford to buy anything currently (I can't) and B) I could be sure that I could purchase one that would shoot better than an 8 inch dispersion past 15 yards.

That's just me though.

JonInWA
10-04-2012, 02:29 PM
You could bridge the two worlds by trying out SIG-Sauer's Sigpro 2022, which has received some pretty decent reviews, and is in my opinion by far SIG's best polymer-framed handgun. It's been discussed in some detail here on the forum recently, so try some searching for more detailed results.

Best, Jon

ToddG
10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Great advice so far. Don't change if you don't need to change. If you've got a SIG that runs well and you shoot it well, finding a second one of those is the smartest thing you can do. Then you can add two SIGs to the 2K Challenge thread, right? :cool:

Take it from me, switching guns is a hassle and not something you should do for the hell of it (unless you simply want to for the hell of it). Guns, holsters, mags, sights... it all adds up and rarely is the benefit of changing outweighed by that same expenditure spent on ammo & training instead.

steve
10-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Stick with what works for you and perfect that platform. I have owned multiples of the following:

Glock
Beretta
Sig
Colt
CZ
Smith & Wesson
Ruger

I always had to have the newest one; I shot them but never trained and became disciplined with them. In the end I don't own any of the above other than Glocks and a small Ruger and Smith revolver. Is Glock better? I can't say as I don't have enough experience training with each of them. I will say as I have concentrated with my Glocks I am starting to shoot better. If I did it all over again after 30 years of shooting, I would have stuck with one platform only, not read every gun magazine and put that money toward training and ammunition.

You may have a tool chest full of screwdrivers but you seem to use just one.

Sal Picante
10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Great advice so far. Don't change if you don't need to change. If you've got a SIG that runs well and you shoot it well, finding a second one of those is the smartest thing you can do. Then you can add two SIGs to the 2K Challenge thread, right? :cool:

Take it from me, switching guns is a hassle and not something you should do for the hell of it (unless you simply want to for the hell of it). Guns, holsters, mags, sights... it all adds up and rarely is the benefit of changing outweighed by that same expenditure spent on ammo & training instead.

I started with a Glock .40 - great guns, works well, there is a reason folks like 'em, etc... I switched because I've got large hands and had a chance to play with a firearm that allowed me to do a bit better, though, switching calibers and gear, finding the guns, etc is a pain...

Really though, I'm sure any pistol would do, however, if I'm going to spend even more time/effort with something, might as well have something that I like/value a bit more than not. Nice to have options, if you can afford it.