PDA

View Full Version : What is a Hipster?

Borderland
12-29-2022, 03:28 PM
A spin off from the Hipster gun thread.

I looked Hipster up and couldn't get a good idea of what that life style actually is.

I may actually know a few but not sure. Well educated, lives in a hundred year old house in a fashionable neighborhood, drives beaters, not interested in upward mobility, has a hundred friends, very social, soccer players/hikers/skiers/campers. Wears shinny jeans and plaid western shirts. Loves to travel in Europe. Uses apps on their phones for everything. Doesn't do FB. Both in their 30's

Are these people hipsters? They definitely are not mainstream or maybe I'm out of touch and it's a generational thing.

LOKNLOD
12-29-2022, 03:41 PM
They sound like they could fit the category in the broad sense. At the very least they're hipster-adjacent.

There's a lot of stereotypical hipster properties that seem to come up again and again. Guys that look like they're cosplaying as pre-depression era lumberjacks but also look like they probably couldn't change their own spare tire. As with most species, females tend to have a wider variety in plumage but I'd describe them as looking vintage bohemian. A dress that looks like it's handmade and a smokey the bear hat are stereotypical.

I think core hipster property is that you have an affection for things that you think set you apart because they're quirky and unique and no one else probably knows about them (yet). They like a band that's not widely popular yet, they insist on listening to it on vinyl (or in some oddball way like 8-track or their Microsoft Zune). They like the juxtaposition of cutting edge with vintage.

Then again, I'm an Okie and all our trends are about 5-10 years behind so this is probably what real hipsters used to be in the glistening coastal metropoli where our non-flyover state betters all live. I also tread lightly here because I have a beard and wear a lot of flannel and sometimes find myself liking oddball things. I don't want to step onto a slippery slope and get trapped in this chasm.

ETA: I think a google image search will give you the lay of the land on the stereotypical look better than a search for the definition.

Edster
12-29-2022, 04:34 PM
This is the hipster thread. You've probably never heard of it.

BehindBlueI's
12-29-2022, 05:49 PM
I always kind of thought hipsters are voluntary hillbillies. Hillbillies tend to be hillbillies because they were born into it and live in the literal hills, but hipsters are often urbanites who weren't but enjoy many of the same things.

String music that is wildly out of date to society at large? Check.
A preference to brewing their own alcohol or small batch stuff to the big brands? Check.
Realizing that's kind of a pain in the ass and PBR is pretty good for the money? Check.
A never changing sense that checkered shirts and denim never go out of style? Check.
Facial hair? Check.

See? Just add smugness, replace old pickup trucks with old bicycles, remove a penchant for meth and pain pills, and you've got a hipster.

Darth_Uno
12-29-2022, 06:05 PM
This is the hipster thread. You've probably never heard of it.

One hipster giveaway is liking less popular drinks, vehicles, music, films, etc (and even guns). Not because they enjoy it, but just because nobody else does.

Joe in PNG
12-29-2022, 06:25 PM
One hipster giveaway is liking less popular drinks, vehicles, music, films, etc (and even guns). Not because they enjoy it, but just because nobody else does.

The desire to be more popular by doing things less popular- or at least be able to sneer at everyone else.

JCN
12-29-2022, 06:32 PM

wsr
12-29-2022, 07:20 PM
Well physically if they are dressed like a 90 lbs lumber jack they’re a hipster
Clothes that would fit a 12 hr old boy…hipster
Man bun…also known as a bitch biscuit or saddle horn for their boyfriend…hipster

Personality wise
Undeserved sense of entitlement
Overly sensitive to differing views or opinions
Contrary, difficult or different just for the sake of being contrary,difficult or different

And the one that is the pinnacle and guarantees they have the other traits
Usually technically knowledgeable or proficient in whatever his “thing” is but little to no experience or ability to apply it in the real world effectively

I see it in
gun world especially the training side
Martial arts
Construction trades
Airplane mechanics

Caballoflaco
12-29-2022, 08:04 PM
I heard this Sugar Cubes song (the band Bjork was in before any of y’all knew about her) on the radio today and had to sit in the truck and listen to it until it was over because I hadn’t heard it in probably 20 years and I’m likely some flavor of hipster.

https://youtu.be/CiLzlaDYZP4

Paul D
12-29-2022, 08:14 PM
Hipster: a naturally boring and innately unoriginal person who cannot cope with this fact and thus must create a contrarian persona to coverup this self loathing.

Borderland
12-29-2022, 10:29 PM
Hipster: a naturally boring and innately unoriginal person who cannot cope with this fact and thus must create a contrarian persona to coverup this self loathing.

I like that one twice..

okie john
12-29-2022, 10:39 PM

Wants to dictate what's cool, excessive faith in theory over practice, is astonished when someone else turns out to be right.

Okie John

cheby
12-29-2022, 10:47 PM

I think this is the key.

MountainRaven
12-29-2022, 11:56 PM
"I shall not today attempt to define the kinds of person I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description ["hipster"], and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it."

One thing I've heard said about being a hipster is that being a hipster is like being insane: If you think you're a hipster (or insane), then you probably aren't.

ECK
12-30-2022, 01:15 AM
I can appreciate this thread because I was kinda wondering what a hipster was after reading the other hipster thread…

Robert Mitchum
12-30-2022, 01:38 AM
https://youtu.be/tOp_77i58Ks

Stephanie B
12-30-2022, 09:59 PM
I don’t know what constitutes a hipster. I’m old. So I’ll just go clean my Garand.

(Get offa my lawn.)

Wondering Beard
12-30-2022, 10:57 PM
I don’t know what constitutes a hipster. I’m old. So I’ll just go clean my Garand.

(Get offa my lawn.)

Stephanie in real life and in a good mood:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C08npR7XUAAU-os.jpg

;-)

Oldherkpilot
12-31-2022, 07:09 AM
Wants to dictate what's cool, excessive faith in theory over practice, is astonished when someone else turns out to be right.

Okie John

Crap. You just described my youngest son. The wife and I are standing by for the inevitable bitch slap from life to bring him around.

JHC
12-31-2022, 08:13 AM
As a "class" I appreciate "them" for improving my coffee, beer, bourbons, tequilas et al as their small niche "boutique" fashions take off.

As for definition, I'd say something like folks looking for something different, for different's own sake, that they like.

Borderland
12-31-2022, 08:17 AM
I found this.

https://youtu.be/Er9DIotZaPY

okie john
12-31-2022, 12:44 PM
Crap. You just described my youngest son. The wife and I are standing by for the inevitable bitch slap from life to bring him around.

Same here. A small part of me hopes that I can be dignified when it happens. The rest of me wants to point and laugh.

Okie John

0ddl0t
12-31-2022, 03:52 PM
How did the hipster burn his mouth?

Drinking his Valhalla Java whole bean coffee before it was cool.

SJC3081
12-31-2022, 10:45 PM
A hipster is an emasculated white male from Brooklyn NY that wears a Woolrich coat and has a full beard. He pretends
like he can split firewood, harvest game and defend his family. In reality he is false male.

masternave
01-01-2023, 12:11 AM
As I understand it, it started as a sort of counter-cultural thing: faced with the consumerism drives of the modern world, hipsters (derived from hippies I think) chose to ironically love on old consumerism items: old tv shows, gadgets, doohickeys of an age past to mock the new crop of doohickeys that will meet the same fate. At the same time hipsters love things that have stood the test of time, objects and practices that haven’t changed. This explains the obsession with artisanal crafts and old shaving… it’s a desire for something that lasts.

Of course, once it became a popular enough subculture, capitalism sold their memes and thoughts in Hot Topic and watered down the message till it’s all the jokes and cultural memes already posted in the thread.

I have respect for the original idea, but it’s stopped being a meaningful label for a while. Once it meant an intentional choice, now it just means someone who shops at target but scoffs at the Starbucks.

Cookie Monster
01-01-2023, 03:03 AM
How is this on page 3 without Totem Polar?

TOTS
01-01-2023, 09:08 AM

Sometimes a picture is worth 1020 words.

As I understand it, the name came from the focus on being hip or trendy. Mainly avant-garde and thus, better than you because you aren’t. When everyone else is onto the trend they either abandon it for something else no one is into, or complain that everyone is ruining it now that it’s mainstream. Mainly afflicting the upper middle class as it takes money to look poor and unaffected.

DC_P
01-01-2023, 09:29 AM
Wants to look hip by doing, wearing, and pretending to like things that are typically considered to be not hip.

Borderland
01-01-2023, 10:34 AM
How is this on page 3 without Totem Polar?

I was wondering the same thing.