PDA

View Full Version : So what makes a Safe Queen a Safe Queen?

part-time shooter
03-26-2011, 04:35 PM
I've had, still have, several guns of all types that I bought because I just had to have it but it's been in the safe ever since, well it might go to the range/skeet/clay field once a year. maybe.

In a handgun I learned the hard way, and way to late, that I can't carry an expensive 1911, I just have a total aversion to carrying an expensive gun with me everyday. Now an M&P, HK, or Glock, no problem, I could care less. Drop it, run it till it's too hot to touch, even total submersion, no worries if it's plastic. Not so with the 1911's, I baby them and can't make myself stop doing so, so I sold all but one of them which has been a project gun since day one. I was a total 1911 junky for a long time, nothing was ever going to surpass the perfection of the 1911, yeah right. Live and learn.

Joe in PNG
03-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Sometimes you have a gun for the sentimental value. I’ve got a single shot 20ga shotgun that belonged to my Grandmother. I spent more than the thing was worth a few years ago to get it into working condition, and it’s still not really shootable. But it is a memento of her.

And then there are the “range toys”. I’ve got an S&W 1917 45acp revolver I absolutely love. In fact, this revolver has turned me into a wheel gun fanatic. It’s accurate as all get out, and the recoil is smooth and easy. Sadly, it’s a bit too big to ccw with, and the barrel is too long for IDPA. So, it gets the job of “bedside gun” or “car pistol”. Truth is, I’d hate to carry it regularly anyway- it’s blued, not parkerized, so rust could be a problem…

Ahem. Just my take on things. Besides, all my guns are currently employed as “safe queens”, as all are locked away until I return. -Sniff- I miss them all!

jslaker
03-26-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't really think I'll ever own safe queens, but I'll second Joe's notion of the range toy. I currently own a P226R that falls into that category. I also hold a C&R with the intention of acquiring some more (notably I want something in 9x18 and something in 7.62x25 sheerly for the lulz).

I'm planning on switching to 9mm for EDC, so my USPc will probably become the closest thing I'll own to a safe queen - a gun I'll never get rid of because it was my first gun and has sentimental value, but one that doesn't get fired too often as I start to focus on a new EDC.

jslaker
03-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I'll add a secondary reasoning for keeping a full caliber "range toy" as well, now that I think of it. My P226 is actually out on loan at the moment. A couple that are close friends of mine have been dealing with a pretty serious stalking situation the past couple of months - things like dude sitting outside their house when they got home at 5am, etc. A range trip for a crash course and then loaning the gun out to them at least made *me* feel a bit better until the police put the guy in jail, so I was glad to have a gun outside of my own carry needs available that I could live without.

JDM
03-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I have a couple 3rd generation Smith and Wesson 10mm's that are safe queens. They are in too good a condition, and too rare for me to beat the hell out of, which is exactly what happens to guns I carry.

ETA: Also they are too damn expensive to shoot. If 10mm was as cheap as 9 or even .45 I'd probably shoot these two a bit more.

TCinVA
03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
My nickel plated S&W model 27 would qualify as a safe queen.

I've never even fired it...but it's so darn pretty I don't even care. I just take it out and stare at the awesomeness every now and then.

Kyle Reese
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a few relatively rare K98's that are relegated to safe queen status. Other than that, if I'm not shooting it, it will more than likely get posted for sale. My safe is too small to house non mission essential weapons.

Pistol Shooter
03-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I've acquired a few safe queens over the years either inherited or purchased.

A few examples:

1965 Colt National Match Gold Cup with original box and all papers, 1978 4" Colt Python, 1968 T Series BHP.

I do take them to the range maybe once a year though. :)