PDA

View Full Version : What is THE most hipster handgun…

Pages : [1] 2

JCN
12-26-2022, 01:01 PM
I’m out of touch on what cool kids like.

What’s the most hipster handgun you can think of.

Bonus points for hipster pictures.

Clusterfrack
12-26-2022, 01:10 PM
HK P7 M8 should be in the running…

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221226/32d5de95e5be4c6fd1374652bfb6a34d.jpg
(Not my gun)

Super77
12-26-2022, 01:25 PM
P7 is a strong contender.

How about the Bren Ten?

-Weird caliber that the hipster thinks is better than yours
-Old enough design that the hipster can claim to have liked it before it was cool
-Exclusive, expensive, hard to find, not made anymore etc.
-Esoteric: you probably haven’t heard of it
-Kinda ugly and funky. The hipster can claim some kind of elevated aesthetic appreciation that you probably don’t understand

Alternative: A Sphinx or one of those Swiss Phoenix pistols, but I might be a hipster because those look pretty sweet.

JAD
12-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Like Frack I tend to think of Teutonic ‘80s crap, the Falco of the gun world. Basically anything that bac1023 and zeleny wind up arguing about.

So like an HK4, but in a .30 Luger chambering.

HCM
12-26-2022, 01:41 PM
Like Frack I tend to think of Teutonic ‘80s crap, the Falco of the gun world. Basically anything that bac1023 and zeleny wind up arguing about.

I don’t think HK ever made the P9S in .30 Luger. How about ?

SIG P220 or Browning P35 in .30 Luger

Action Arms CZ75 clone in .41 Action Express with matching semi auto Uzi conversion and an Armson OEG single point sight.

JAD
12-26-2022, 01:56 PM
I don’t think HK ever made the P9S in .30 Luger.

what part of “you’ve probably never heard of it” are you not getting?

UpDok
12-26-2022, 02:13 PM
When I think of the term "hipster", I think of technically savvy, politically progressive and fashionable in a off-beat way that is both counter-cultural and conformist to a narrow band of fashion. Perhaps a true hipster who also is into guns is rare, but is also a person who makes well thought out choices.

If my hypothesis of "Hipsterism" is correct, a hipster would carry a 9mm TDA or LEM pistol in a good AIWB holster, get training and plenty of good practice.

Sounds like a guy, girl or "they" with a CZ, HK or TDA SIG that pronounces the CZ as "Česká zbrojovka" in proper Czech or maybe Polish. Not exactly somebody who lives in ignorance or lack of useful resources.

bac1023
12-26-2022, 02:39 PM

Well considering the HK4 is a small straight blowback with an aluminum frame, good luck with that 30 Luger chambering. I don’t want to be around when you shoot it, at least.

john c
12-26-2022, 02:58 PM
I don’t think HK ever made the P9S in .30 Luger. How about ?

SIG P220 or Browning P35 in .30 Luger

Action Arms CZ75 clone in .41 Action Express with matching semi auto Uzi conversion and an Armson OEG single point sight.

Looks like HK did make the P9S in .30 Luger, for the Italian market. 9x19 was banned, in those days.

https://www.armiusate.it/armi-corte/pistole/heckler-koch-p9s-7-65x22mm-parabellum-7-65x22mm-luger-30-luger_i967416

The Sig P220’s I saw over there were either in .45 HP or 9mm Steyr. Both of those are pretty hipster. 9mm Steyr probably makes the most sense, of those two choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
12-26-2022, 03:02 PM
Looks like HK did make the P9S in .30 Luger, for the Italian market. 9x19 was banned, in those days.

https://www.armiusate.it/armi-corte/pistole/heckler-koch-p9s-7-65x22mm-parabellum-7-65x22mm-luger-30-luger_i967416

The Sig P220’s I saw over there were either in .45 HP or 9mm Steyr. Both of those are pretty hipster. 9mm Steyr probably makes the most sense, of those two choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIG made some P-220s in 30 Luger with the heel release as well, I’ve seen a couple.

HCM
12-26-2022, 03:04 PM
When I think of the term "hipster", I think of technically savvy, politically progressive and fashionable in a off-beat way that is both counter-cultural and conformist to a narrow band of fashion. Perhaps a true hipster who also is into guns is rare, but is also a person who makes well thought out choices.

If my hypothesis of "Hipsterism" is correct, a hipster would carry a 9mm TDA or LEM pistol in a good AIWB holster, get training and plenty of good practice.

Sounds like a guy, girl or "they" with a CZ, HK or TDA SIG that pronounces the CZ as "Česká zbrojovka" in proper Czech or maybe Polish. Not exactly somebody who lives in ignorance or lack of useful resources.

You clearly never encountered any actual gun hipsters.

JCS
12-26-2022, 03:16 PM
Glock 19.

It's the answer to every handgun question.

CleverNickname
12-26-2022, 03:19 PM
Glock 19.

It's the answer to every handgun question.

That's like saying a hipster's favorite haircut is a buzz cut. Does not compute.

JCS
12-26-2022, 03:22 PM
That's like saying a hipster's favorite haircut is a buzz cut. Does not compute.

I was joking and yet serious.

I just envision a skinny jean, flannel wearing dude-bro carrying a Glock 19 in a trex arms sidecar holster, sipping an IPA.

TQP
12-26-2022, 03:22 PM
Perfect timing for this thread, with Tamara being back.

She's like THE hipster gun SME

JCN
12-26-2022, 03:39 PM
I was joking and yet serious.

I just envision a skinny jean, flannel wearing dude-bro carrying a Glock 19 in a trex arms sidecar holster, sipping an IPA.

SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!!!!

I don’t even like IPA…. :D

Clusterfrack
12-26-2022, 03:39 PM
(This is what happens when I'm bored at work. What follows is paraphrased from a few conversations I've had recently.)

Scene: Starbucks, Athens, 350BC. Socrates and Alcibiades are drinking coffee.

Socrates: See that hipster sitting over there? Did you notice his knife?

Alcibiades: Knife?

Socrates: Have a look.

Alcibiades [looks over at the hipster with a 6” fixed blade knife hanging from the belt of his skinny jeans]: Oh yes. What a beautiful knife. Is that rosewood?

Hipster: It’s redwood burl. The blade is Damascus steel, one of a kind, made by...

Socrates: Excuse us, we were in the middle of a conversation.

Hipster [to his girlfriend]: Can you believe that guy in the dirty toga? Things will be so much better in Athens when people like him die or move out because of the high housing prices.

Socrates: Now where were we, Alcibiades? Oh yes, I was wondering if the next hipster fad will be carrying handguns.

Alcibiades: GUNS???

Socrates: Yes, maybe next year that young man over there might be carrying a cowboy six-shooter with redwood burl grips and a chrome finish?

Alcibiades: That’s illegal.

Socrates: Actually it’s not, but that’s beside the point. I’m wondering if you feel that it is ok for him to carry a large knife?

Alcibiades: Of course. He probably uses it to cut apples.

Socrates: And would it be ok for him to carry a gun?

Alcibiades: Absolutely not!

Socrates: Why?

Alcibiades: Guns are dangerous. They are made to kill people. They are much more dangerous than knives. If someone had a gun, they could just shoot someone and nobody could do anything about it.

Socrates: Knives can be used to kill people too, and in some cases can be more dangerous than guns.

Alcibiades [becoming annoyed]: What’s your point, Socrates?

Socrates: What would you say if I told you there was research by Scholarch Tueller from the Academy, who showed that at this distance, that hipster could stab both of us before I could draw my gun--of course assuming I was carrying a gun under my toga.

Alcibiades: Ha! You, carrying a gun, Socrates? Now that’s just silly. Can’t we just have coffee and talk about politics?

Socrates: I think that’s precisely what we are doing.

Alcibiades [rolls eyes]

Socrates: So, no guns. But knives are ok. What about cars?

Alcibiades: What?

Socrates: Cars are used to kill people all the time.

Alcibiades: But that’s by accident. Cars aren’t designed to kill people.

Socrates: Yes, but people choose to use cars in ways that result in people being killed. For example, just this morning I was on a run around the Parthenon and a girl almost ran me over in her SUV.

Alcibiades: That’s terrible! But I’m sure she didn’t do it on purpose.

Socrates: Actually, she did. She made the decision to text while she was driving, and obviously believes that my life is less important than her texting. Wouldn’t you say that she is more dangerous than a person with a knife or a gun drinking coffee in a Starbucks?

Alcibiades: I feel like this is one of your dialectical traps, Socrates. I’m not playing your game.

Socrates: That’s ok, Alcibiades. I’m not finished with my coffee yet. Perhaps you can just listen.

Alcibiades: You have more to say about guns and coffee?

Socrates: Yes, I can see that you don’t like being around people who carry guns.

Alcibiades: No, I do not like being around people who carry guns. It makes me feel unsafe.

Socrates: What about people who are martial arts experts? Do they make you feel unsafe? What if that champion Pankration fighter was sitting here having coffee? What was his name? Conor Mc-something?

Alcibiades: That’s completely different. He’s an athlete. MMA is a sport.

Socrates: Even though he could easily kill both of us with his bare hands, you would feel safer having coffee with him than with someone carrying a gun?

Alcibiades: Of course! Who wouldn’t?

Socrates: Guns are used in athletic events too. The Olympics have trap, skeet, rifle, rapid fire pistol competitions, and the Biathlon.

Alcibiades: Shooting sports should be phased out. Civilized people don't have guns. That’s not who we are here in Athens.

Socrates: I can't agree with you about that, Alcibiades. I compete in sports called USPSA and Multigun. We shoot paper and steel targets with pistols, shotguns, and AR-15s. You should try it sometime, Alcibiades. It’s fun.

Alcibiades [spills coffee]: WHAT??? You do what? With handguns and assault rifles? Are you crazy? I feel like I don’t even know you anymore.

Socrates: Oh, look at the time. I’m late for my meeting with Euthyphro at the courts. Shall we meet for coffee at the same time next week?

UpDok
12-26-2022, 03:43 PM
You clearly never encountered any actual gun hipsters.

I never met a hipster I didn't like, except for their goofy haircuts.

bac1023
12-26-2022, 04:09 PM
SIG made some P-220s in 30 Luger with the heel release as well, I’ve seen a couple.

Yes, that was one of the original calibers, along with 9mm. It was a replacement for the P210 and therefore chambered in the same calibers back then.

Joe in PNG
12-26-2022, 04:16 PM
I'm seconding the P7.
It's European, complicated, obscure but not toooo obscure, expensive, looks cool, and has a certain insider cachet.

HCM
12-26-2022, 04:29 PM
I'm seconding the P7.
It's European, complicated, obscure but not toooo obscure, expensive, looks cool, and has a certain insider cachet.

Plus quite accurate yet with the heat issue it’s unusable for any sort of real training. Just a class with one you need to have a pair of them and switch off, shooting one as the other one cooled down.

Edster
12-26-2022, 04:37 PM
This is either a trick question or belongs in the Revolver Forum.

FrankB
12-26-2022, 04:40 PM
Paging MattyD380

masternave
12-26-2022, 04:48 PM
Nominating the Makarov.

- kinda classic looking
- could be found at a thrift store
- excited to show old videos that you've "probably never heard of"
- pairs nicely with ironic or unironic Che shirt
- handmade by mass produced craftsmen, rather mass produced by craftsmen.

MandoWookie
12-26-2022, 05:09 PM
Nominating the Makarov.

- kinda classic looking
- could be found at a thrift store
- excited to show old videos that you've "probably never heard of"
- pairs nicely with ironic or unironic Che shirt
- handmade by mass produced craftsmen, rather mass produced by craftsmen.

Nah, a CZ-83 in .32 ACP. Classier than a Makarov, relatively rare and obscure but in a easily available caliber, and you can Gucci it up with modern sights and nicer grips relatively cheaply because it uses CZ-75 sight grooves and the .380 version was still in production up to the mid 2000s IIRC.
'.32 ACP is more combat proven than .45, it was being used trenches of WW1 years before the 1911 made it there.'

Radar Love
12-26-2022, 05:24 PM
Everything mentioned so far is so normcore. I’m going to move the conversation away from the Lands End catalogue and into the world of custom Japanese selvedge denim by nominating the magazine fed revolver:

GAP
12-26-2022, 05:26 PM
PF Edition: PX4 Compact Carry with a .327 mag LCR back-up loaded with .32 H&R mag.

FNFAN
12-26-2022, 05:45 PM

Wondering Beard
12-26-2022, 05:56 PM
For the musical hipster.

https://cdn.rockislandauction.com/dev_cdn/62/1319.jpg

YVK
12-26-2022, 06:05 PM
3D-printed, RDS-compatible Glock. Something like this

Duelist
12-26-2022, 06:14 PM
Factory nickel P220, in 9mm. Owns 2 magazines.

Or a P7, because reasons.

DanTheWolfman
12-26-2022, 06:26 PM
The one I want to get, and was following one last week, is the HP-DA Double Action HiPower....things are both sexy and rare.

Tactical Hipster scored and reviewed one. He is not an annoying hipster, and also...F IPA's.

The P88Compact he also has and scored for a STEAL at a pawn shop seems friggin ideal DA/SA for carry though...

I'd also like a P9S

And a p239 is probably the most recent cool hipster gun. It's weight to capacity ratio doesn't make sense...yet I still want to jump on a deal one day probably in .40 and get +1 bases to make suck a little less. Is it somehow magically worth it?

Hipster collecting probably starts with a P01/PCR and changing grips though...I think that is usually the gateway gun then into a Bulgarian Makarov. It seems that is usually how it goes.

I fully believe the p99 deserving of a new found following at this point as well.

DanTheWolfman
12-26-2022, 06:52 PM
There is a GyroJet for $6K going right now....I think all of two rounds could be found out there for I am guessing $500 a pop and most likely won't ignite......

But I mean, that would earn some points.

What was the name of that Tom Selleck movie?...........Runaway....1984

Lester Polfus
12-26-2022, 06:58 PM

I had an opportunity to shoot a Devel ASP once and was hugely underwhelmed by the Guttersnipe sights.

I don't know if it's the "most" hipster gun in the world, but a Springfield Armory/Peter Sthal Omega with a complete set of barrels and magazines would be on the list.

Then your "carry rotation" could be the same gun, but you could alternate between 9x19mm, 10mm Auto, .38 Super, .38 Wadcutter or .45ACP.

JRB
12-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Hipsterism isn't a specific state, it's a gradient across a pretty wide scale.
The key to understanding Hipsters is that any given Hipster thinks they're 'full Hipster' and anything 'more Hipster' is just too extreme and pointless.
Sort of like the folks who drive a little faster than the speed limit, and think anyone who's going slower is an idiot and anyone going faster is a psychotic maniac.

So really 'THE most hipster handgun' is more about the hipster in question. Might be a Glock 42 with a 9x18 barrel, or a off-catalog Ruger SP101 made for a French Police contract, or a Steyr M357, or a really rare S&W L frame, or a Benelli M76, or a Korth, or some kind of brain-nuking custom or handmade masterpiece that only a few folks like bac1023 would have.

Or we can just say it's the Gabbet-Fairfax Mars Automatic and call it a day.

MattyD380
12-26-2022, 07:11 PM
Finally a topic over which I can (well, will) claim authoritative knowledge!

I think UpDok 's definition captures the essence of a "hipster" overall:

When I think of the term "hipster", I think of technically savvy, politically progressive and fashionable in a off-beat way that is both counter-cultural and conformist to a narrow band of fashion.

But in my mind, a gun hipster doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a hipster in the general sense. Gun hipsters simply apply a more discriminating, pedantic--sometimes pretentious--perspective to firearms, specifically.

So, to clarify, I guess "hipster" doesn't HAVE to be a wholesale sense of identity; it is a particular way of seeing, experiencing and relating to a certain category of things. Being “hipster” means having a depth of knowledge and a fervent passion that exceeds the “functional norms” of the mainstream. You could have knife hipsters. Car hipsters. Watch hipsters. Unicorn hipsters. And in this case… gun hipsters.

Which I consider myself.

Moreover, I think there's a certain element of self-expression that comes with having extremely pointed, often personal, perspectives on items of interest: you end up ascribing some sense of self into the things you're passionate about.

So, with that in mind…

I’d say hipster guns are subjective. It all depends on what you’re into. In fact, I have different “gun hipster moods.” Sometimes I'm enamored by the Teutonic masterpieces of yore—like the Walther P88, the Walther P5 and the HK P9S. Other times, I find myself taken by the pragmatic American grit of the Smith & Wesson 3rd gens (and the Ruger P89—which is _uckin excellent, I might add).

But if I had to pick one gun that gets my hipster juices flowing more than any other…

It’s my Walther P88 Compact.

There’s a certain elegance about it that’s both functional and emotional. It’s not just a trophy piece; but it’s not just another DA/SA wondernine, either. It’s a gun I wanted since I realized they existed, back in my mid 20s. And it’s a gun that exceeds my expectations in just about every respect.

Yes. The Walther P88C is chicken soup to my gun-hipster soul.

But hey--don’t worry about it… I mean, it’s not like you’d get it, anyway.

;)

I kid. I kid.

Thanks to FrankB for tipping me off to this exceedingly dope thread.

JCN
12-26-2022, 07:12 PM
JRB
Super77
Clusterfrack

Since you guys seem to have your fingers on the Hipster pulse, is there a price ceiling on hipster ware?

Usually hipsters here are one step removed from living in their parents basements so I was thinking $1k cap on cost for hipster items?

Or do people think of more upscale hipsters?

Edit: I posted before seeing MattyD380 excellent definitive post above!

ssc45
12-26-2022, 07:13 PM
A pearl handled, nickel plated, cathouse decorative top break .32 H&R revolver.

Cheers, Steve

FNFAN
12-26-2022, 07:30 PM
I had an opportunity to shoot a Devel ASP once and was hugely underwhelmed by the Guttersnipe sights.

Yes, the guttersnipe sights are poor and the lack of decent grip purchase on the gun was annoying as hell. Still cool AF.

DanTheWolfman
12-26-2022, 07:43 PM

But in my mind, a gun hipster doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a hipster in the general sense. Gun hipsters simply apply a more discriminating, pedantic--sometimes pretentious--perspective to firearms, specifically.

So, to clarify, I guess "hipster" doesn't HAVE to be a wholesale sense of identity; it is a particular way of seeing, experiencing and relating to a certain category of things. Being “hipster” means having a depth of knowledge and a fervent passion that exceeds the “functional norms” of the mainstream. You could have knife hipsters. Car hipsters. Watch hipsters. Unicorn hipsters. And in this case… gun hipsters.

Which I consider myself.

Moreover, I think there's a certain element of self-expression that comes with having extremely pointed, often personal, perspectives on items of interest: you end up ascribing some sense of self into the things you're passionate about.

So, with that in mind…

I’d say hipster guns are subjective. It all depends on what you’re into. In fact, I have different “gun hipster moods.” Sometimes I'm enamored by the Teutonic masterpieces of yore—like the Walther P88, the Walther P5 and the HK P9S. Other times, I find myself taken by the pragmatic American grit of the Smith & Wesson 3rd gens (and the Ruger P89—which is _uckin excellent, I might add).

But if I had to pick one gun that gets my hipster juices flowing more than any other…

There’s a certain elegance about it that’s both functional and emotional. It’s not just a trophy piece; but it’s not just another DA/SA wondernine, either. It’s a gun I wanted since I realized they existed, back in my mid 20s. And it’s a gun that exceeds my expectations in just about every respect.

;)

I kid. I kid.

I didn't know if I summoned you by name you would appear on the same thread on the same forum.......

The HP-DA got to like $775 and I stopped watching.....

So, is a p239 worth getting, the kind of made for carry elegant weapon for a more civilized time? And just hope if that days comes it's not lack of capacity that punches my ticket....

DanTheWolfman
12-26-2022, 07:48 PM
Hipsterism isn't a specific state, it's a gradient across a pretty wide scale.
The key to understanding Hipsters is that any given Hipster thinks they're 'full Hipster' and anything 'more Hipster' is just too extreme and pointless.
Sort of like the folks who drive a little faster than the speed limit, and think anyone who's going slower is an idiot and anyone going faster is a psychotic maniac.

So really 'THE most hipster handgun' is more about the hipster in question. Might be a Glock 42 with a 9x18 barrel, or a off-catalog Ruger SP101 made for a French Police contract, or a Steyr M357, or a really rare S&W L frame, or a Benelli M76, or a Korth, or some kind of brain-nuking custom or handmade masterpiece that only a few folks like bac1023 would have.

Or we can just say it's the Gabbet-Fairfax Mars Automatic and call it a day.

Got a notification in for that very same .38 Frechie Ruger..about 2 months ago..called....lady went to ask in back since only one...and then claimed it was already sold...I think one of the workers realized been a year since last batch when I called so enthusiastically and nabbed it for themselves...unless you got it? I was hoping for a handpicked of batch to review on YT and should have just paide the $450 outright....before C1984 happened the batch was like $375 I think. A steal for any Ruger .38 really. Do you have one? 3" my love, and closest to a Manurhin 73 I will probably get. I did however get a Maurhin PP Box for $.01 and $10 shipping.....just to have something...

Willard
12-26-2022, 08:06 PM
Agree with others. Toss up between H&K P7, P9S, Walther P88...would add Walther P5 and H&K VP70...those would be my top 5.

HCM
12-26-2022, 08:14 PM
JRB
Super77
Clusterfrack

Since you guys seem to have your fingers on the Hipster pulse, is there a price ceiling on hipster ware?

Usually hipsters here are one step removed from living in their parents basements so I was thinking $1k cap on cost for hipster items?

I we don’t really have hipsters where I live but when I go to observe them in my natural habitat, the hipster preserve called Austin, they tend to have money despite no real conventional source of income.

Kind of like the couples on those real estate and home renovation shows. “Hi, I breed non-binary salamanders, and my partner works part time at a pet daycare for reptiles. Our budget is $1.6 million dollars…”

HCM
12-26-2022, 08:27 PM

Which I consider myself.

So, with that in mind…

;)

I kid. I kid.

My cousin, a retired sheriffs Sergeant feels similarly about the Walther P 88 full-size. And I used to feel that way about the HKP7.

However, before we get too ecstatic, let’s remember that as a late founder of PF said so well “uncommon guns are uncommon for a reason.” While cost plays a part with offerings from HK and Walther, many of these guns have fatal flaws, which precluded them from widespread service use. With the HK it was cost, the heat issue, and the unique manual of arms. I with the Walther P 88 series I believe it was the fragility of the grips, and the fact that cracked or broken grips would leave one with a non-functional gun.

Even with more functional guns, like the 3” CS-1 revolvers, it kind of gives me a chuckle to think about what a Smith & Wesson collector would say if he saw me back in the day picking up 20 or 30 CS-1s converted to blank fire or sims sliding around loose in a plastic postal bin.

The closest thing to a hipster gun that lives up to the hype in my experience has been original / surplus SIG P210s.

flyrodr
12-26-2022, 08:32 PM
I’m out of touch on what cool kids like.

What’s the most hipster handgun you can think of.

Bonus points for hipster pictures.

Since no one has suggested a 1911, how about one of those customized by one of the "early" (relatively) custom smiths.

Such as a Swenson, Hoag, Pachmyer, etc.

I certainly never considered myself a hipster, but when my son was just out of college, we were at the range one day and he came over and said "Dad, this guy walked up to me and asked if my gun was a 'genuine' Swenson. I said yes; it's my Dad's".

So, while never quite giving me or the gun true hipster status, that interaction at least gave my son pause that the old man was maybe a bit cool. I'll take that, and maybe the gun qualifies. Swenson did the work for me back in the mid '70s.

JCN
12-26-2022, 08:44 PM
HCM that’s an awesome story!

(And a good looking gun)

Maybe when you retire you can add it to the “carry rotation?” :D

Malamute
12-26-2022, 09:14 PM
I think one can be a gun hipster without being a regular hipster.

Anyway, the sort of things that come to mind in my case of unusual guns with some possible rationalization of being useful are the Webley-Pryse revolvers from the 1870s-80s, and the Webley-Greene revolvers right after that. I believe both came in 455/476 caliber, which brass and ammo can still be had for. In any event, if I had one Id probably carry it some, but my carry probably isnt what most peoples carry is. I think one would be just peachy in a nice tooled holster hanging off a cartridge belt for the 1873 carbine when doing skunk patrol around the home place in the evening. A good spring clamp shoulder rig would be useful also.

Long ago I had a cute little Detonics Combat Master in blue, which I liked quite a bit, but as legal concealed carry was still some years off in the unknown future, I saw little point in keeping it, if I were going to carry a 45 at that time it had to be exposed to be legal, and the National Match Colt was fine for that.

Webley-Pryse

Webley-Greene, they had both the round butt and square butt versions.

reloader550
12-26-2022, 09:15 PM
The kool kids carry a 9mm with a light hanging on the end of it, along with high performance super light weight 9mm ammo that blows water jugs to the moon.
Along with a RMR, a threaded or compensated barrel, extended mag base plate for more capacity. Tucked nicely in hard kydex AIWB style.

JRB
12-26-2022, 09:16 PM
JRB
Super77
Clusterfrack

MattyD380 definitely covered it well, and HCM already added the caveat that an astonishing number of hipsters have a ton of money from...somewhere. My experience is that hipsters tend to have connections to money - wealthy parents, aunt, spouse, etc. Which is why they have the luxury of having such a crucial fixation on being a hipster in the first place.

But varying degrees of investment still exist, because getting the cool thing for cheap is another aspect of hipster-ism. They might be a CZ70 or FEG Walther clone sort of hipster, or an Ortgies or French M1935 sort of hipster, or like one of those weird .32 Webleys autos or a Warner Infallible sort of hipster.
There's just no telling when the need to be different in a specific self-aggrandizing way combines with money, a manbun, and fitted flannel shirts tucked into 29in waistbands.

Got a notification in for that very same .38 Frechie Ruger..about 2 months ago..called....lady went to ask in back since only one...and then claimed it was already sold...I think one of the workers realized been a year since last batch when I called so enthusiastically and nabbed it for themselves...unless you got it? I was hoping for a handpicked of batch to review on YT and should have just paide the $450 outright....before C1984 happened the batch was like $375 I think. A steal for any Ruger .38 really. Do you have one? 3" my love, and closest to a Manurhin 73 I will probably get. I did however get a Maurhin PP Box for $.01 and $10 shipping.....just to have something...

There's been a few different batches of the French PD revolvers coming into the country. Back in 2019 Centerfire Systems had 3in MR88's for $450 that I wish like hell I'd gotten in on, or told someone to on my behalf while I was in and out of internet access. Naturally they sold out relatively quickly. Then more recently there were a few batches of the French contract 3in SP101's, some with Tausch grips some without, and over the past ~1.5yrs or so I've seen those from $400-500 depending on condition. Some came with an interesting leather holster as well, ostensibly the holsters issued with them.

I think I've got more regrets about the MR88's just because of the Manurhin vibes but having shot a 4in MR73 I'm sure I'd be disappointed by the MR88 or any SP101, those MR73's really are something special.

DanTheWolfman
12-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Yeah it was Centerfire Systems...had one and I called instead of grabbing my cc like an idiot. It had the Tausch grips.

Oh well.

I spotted a Ruger GS33 in an auction not listed......And I should have grabbed it bought bowed out, and shouldn't have probably only one other bidder new what it was. Regular 2 3/4" Six's are commanding money. I bought the manual online thinking I would get it too.

Limited funds and cheap I let 'em go..get excited about the chase but don't bite too often. Keeps me going I guess.

I've got a couple neat ones. Hope to grow. Am I turning into a hipster or do plastic wondernines just get friggin boring?

pangloss
12-26-2022, 09:47 PM
I the the Sig P6 or the Beretta 81. The newer P-225 might also work but is somewhat less hipster.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Malamute
12-26-2022, 09:47 PM
... Am I turning into a hipster or do plastic wondernines just get friggin boring?

The only 9s I actually find any interest in are P08s, with honorable mention to the original Smith model 39s.

BWT
12-26-2022, 10:02 PM
I think a turn of the century Colt pocket pistol, or a failed to be commercially viable handgun.

I feel like it’s three variables. It has to be old enough to sneer at today’s works man ship for not having soul, be something in a rare caliber or model because somebody “was a visionary”.

If you can combine those? I feel like that’s bonus territory. Old, in a rare caliber, and made by hand? Had to have a one off holster made from leather? I mean… I think you’d win an award.

I feel like the full size Glock that was made in .380 for Europe for example.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/blog/the-rare-and-unusual-glocks-we-cant-get/

Here we go a Glock 25. Just something to be pretentious as long as you have some angle there - I feel like you could be a hipster.

rayrevolver
12-26-2022, 10:13 PM
I the the Sig P6 or the Beretta 81. The newer P-225 might also work but is somewhat less hipster.

The story should sound something like this...

... I found this pistol in a shoebox in my grandfathers attic. Had it NP3'd, to freshen it up. Added these bespoke wooden grips by a guy in the woods over there, Nils something. He doesn't speak English.

https://www.1911addicts.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.1911addicts.com/attachments/a4933efe-39b1-44e9-8a64-9b26f942a848-jpeg.798693/

Clusterfrack
12-26-2022, 10:16 PM

I wouldn't say I have my fingers on the Hipster pulse, but I have choked out a few.

Around here in Hipster Central there are dirtbag hipsters, student hipsters, and yuppie hipsters. Some hipsters are rich, but make a halfhearted attempt to act poor. I wouldn't put a cap on hipster stuff. I've seen them driving Maseratis.

Duelist
12-26-2022, 10:17 PM
I think one can be a gun hipster without being a regular hipster.

Anyway, the sort of things that come to mind in my case of unusual guns with some possible rationalization of being useful are the Webley-Pryse revolvers from the 1870s-80s, and the Webley-Greene revolvers right after that. I believe both came in 455/476 caliber, which brass and ammo can still be had for. In any event, if I had one Id probably carry it some, but my carry probably isnt what most peoples carry is. I think one would be just peachy in a nice tooled holster hanging off a cartridge belt for the 1873 carbine when doing skunk patrol around the home place in the evening. A good spring clamp shoulder rig would be useful also.

Long ago I had a cute little Detonics Combat Master in blue, which I liked quite a bit, but as legal concealed carry was still some years off in the unknown future, I saw little point in keeping it, if I were going to carry a 45 at that time it had to be exposed to be legal, and the National Match Colt was fine for that.

Webley-Pryse

Webley-Greene, they had both the round butt and square butt versions.

OMG, I did *not* expect to see those in this thread!

(Says the guy who actually owns a Webley-Pryse)

Malamute
12-26-2022, 10:32 PM
OMG, I did *not* expect to see those in this thread!

(Says the guy who actually owns a Webley-Pryse)

Say what?

FNFAN
12-26-2022, 10:36 PM
Since no one has suggested a 1911, how about one of those customized by one of the "early" (relatively) custom smiths.

M'kay, I can play then. :)

Duelist
12-26-2022, 10:38 PM
Say what?

I have a Webley-Pryse I bought in Kabul years ago. The stop bolt is worn too short to function, and the ratchet is damaged, so I haven’t ever considered trying to source ammo and shooting it. Lemme go dig it out of the safe and get a shot of it.

Malamute
12-26-2022, 10:39 PM
I have a Webley-Pryse I bought in Kabul years ago.

Do you shoot it? Do you have pics please?

Edit: Well crud. Im sure we can fix that.

MattyD380
12-26-2022, 10:46 PM
I didn't know if I summoned you by name you would appear on the same thread on the same forum.......

The HP-DA got to like $775 and I stopped watching.....

So, is a p239 worth getting, the kind of made for carry elegant weapon for a more civilized time? And just hope if that days comes it's not lack of capacity that punches my ticket....

What's up man?! Welcome to PF!

Ah... too bad on the HP-DA. It's such a cool gun and a neat piece of wondernine history. Honestly, $775 isn't bad--especially if you get some non-neutered 14-round mags with it. I'll say there are certain guns I shoot better... but the HP-DA ain't far off. Groups super tight, though sometimes slightly off POA. I don't love the grips or the sights--and, unfortunately, there aren't really other good options out there.

The P239 is one of my favorites. Of all the Sigs I've had, I think I shoot the P239--and the P245--the best. The P239 hangs with my Beretta 92, PX4 and my Walthers in terms of group size at intermediate distances. And while it's nice and compact, I just wish the slide was a little thinner. The S&W 3913 has it beat, in that regard. But in my experience, the P239 handily outshoots the 3913. YMMV, of course.

As far as capacity... I think the trade-off for the super thin grip is worth it, personally? It makes it quite concealable, even under light clothes. Plus, extra single-stack mags are pretty easy to carry.

In any case... both awesome guns.

Also, check out Dan's YouTube channel--he's got some cool martial arts content AND cool gun content:

https://www.youtube.com/@DanTheWolfman

Duelist
12-26-2022, 10:47 PM
I have a Webley-Pryse I bought in Kabul years ago. The stop bolt is worn too short to function, and the ratchet is damaged, so I haven’t ever considered trying to source ammo and shooting it. Lemme go dig it out of the safe and get a shot of it.

Do you shoot it? Do you have pics please?

Edit: Well crud. Im sure we can fix that.

Malamute
12-26-2022, 10:50 PM

Thank you, very cool old shooter.

MountainRaven
12-26-2022, 10:54 PM
Anything CZ that isn't competition-oriented.

The P7 is a solid call.

I'd add any of the Mateba auto-revolvers or a Chiappa Rhino (with the group with Matebas looking down on those with Rhinos).

HeavyDuty
12-26-2022, 11:21 PM

Yes, the guttersnipe sights are poor and the lack of decent grip purchase on the gun was annoying as hell. Still cool AF.

I still miss mine. I couldn’t afford to shoot it back then, it only functioned properly on Silvertips. I don’t think I put more than 500 rounds through mine in the two or three years I owned it. The sights were different for sure.

My suggestion - a Detonics Combat Master.

DDTSGM
12-26-2022, 11:46 PM

I think that's more steampunk than hipster.

I'm struggling to remember a cartoon character using a Webley-Vickers.

Lester Polfus
12-27-2022, 12:12 AM
I still miss mine. I couldn’t afford to shoot it back then, it only functioned properly on Silvertips. I don’t think I put more than 500 rounds through mine in the two or three years I owned it. The sights were different for sure.

My suggestion - a Detonics Combat Master.

Those were pretty cool. A friend of mine was lashed up with Sid Woodcock for a while. I'm still not sure what stories about him are true.

Totem Polar
12-27-2022, 12:21 AM
Colt Agent. The 9mm officer model deal with the groove/gutter sight.

Yes, I had one.

:)

WDR
12-27-2022, 12:35 AM
HK P7... K3.

.32 ACP best ACP. :cool:

HCM
12-27-2022, 02:21 AM
HCM that’s an awesome story!

(And a good looking gun)

Maybe when you retire you can add it to the “carry rotation?” :D

I think you tagged the wrong person ?

Phaedrus
12-27-2022, 03:39 AM
The ultimate hipster gun is a Glock tricked out to the point that there are no Glock parts in the gun. The trigger is almost certainly red and it's got the full panoply of slide cuts. Invariably it's carried in a PHLSTER Enigma, the most hipster holster ever made. The jeans are skinny and the cover garment (aka shirt) is flannel, although it could be Carhartt instead.

fixer
12-27-2022, 06:23 AM
Is the Ruger P Series hipster status yet?

JCN
12-27-2022, 06:24 AM
I think you tagged the wrong person ?

Hehe. My tongue was firmly in my cheek. :)

Some of the retired LEO here do BBQ gun “carry rotations” just to tell the awesome stories behind the guns when they’re more likely to be conversation pieces over weapons.

Just sayin that even though you’re not a fan now… opinions can change! :D

JAD
12-27-2022, 06:34 AM
Not sure why I didn’t think of it before, but this was Cooper’s hipster gun:

I think I’ve made a few attempts but I never got one, despite being acquainted with the biggest Star fanboi on the internet.

JCN
12-27-2022, 06:43 AM
Hey if 1911s are retro hipster, then maybe this one fits some of the uncommon criteria for “look at me” attention?

Shoots 357 magnum like a laser…

Phaedrus
12-27-2022, 07:32 AM
Not sure why I didn’t think of it before, but this was Cooper’s hipster gun:

I think I’ve made a few attempts but I never got one, despite being acquainted with the biggest Star fanboi on the internet.

I had two Star BMs and a Star PD back in the day. Carried 'em all (not at the same time, natch) at various times. Of course this was before the Plastic Fantastic took over.

Caballoflaco
12-27-2022, 07:37 AM
Hey if 1911s are retro hipster, then maybe this one fits some of the uncommon criteria for “look at me” attention?

Shoots 357 magnum like a laser…

That was a hipster gun when it came out.

Wonder9
12-27-2022, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't say I have my fingers on the Hipster pulse, but I have choked out a few.

Around here in Hipster Central there are dirtbag hipsters, student hipsters, and yuppie hipsters. Some hipsters are rich, but make a halfhearted attempt to act poor. I wouldn't put a cap on hipster stuff. I've seen them driving Maseratis.

Hence the CZ-75 is the most hipster gun.

You have the Turk CZ clones or trashed milsurp for the dirtbags.
You have the standard CZ-75 and SP line for the students
You have the Match versions like the Parrot or Sphinx for the rich hipster posers
You have step-slides CZ-75s or a North Korean BDS for the real hipsters
You have Jerichos for kosher and/or space cowboy hipsters

Evil_Ed
12-27-2022, 09:56 AM
I'd argue one of the core tenets of hipsterdom carry is it should be a gun no longer in wide circulation or even in production if possible. It could be in a mainstream caliber, but not for the platform; even better if the caliber is not even widely carried or used today.

Examples of hipster carry, IMO:

Early Sig P220 in 38 Super
CZ 97B/D
Any 1st/2nd/3rd Gen S&W, especially if it's in 40 S&W
Steyr S/C/L9 in any variant (A1, A2, whatever)
H&K Mk23 (I saw an AIWB rig for one of these on instanoodle and now I need one...the holster that is)

Lesser well known guns to the general shooting population like CZs in general and their offspring...anything that elicits a "Huh, what's that?" whenever anyone sees one at the range...those qualify as well IMO.

Speaking of hipster, did you know that the new S&W Equalizer was almost the exact same dimensions as an old Colt 1903/1908? Just a little wider...if they offered it in 30 Super Carry, it would qualify as hipster carry IMO.

Radar Love
12-27-2022, 10:24 AM

Seeing that I have a SAO Jericho I’m inclined to agree.

I also nominate the Daewoo K5. Wonder Nines are the equivalent of thrift store bargain flannel right now because you can still find 59-series and P-series for decent prices if you shop around, and the K5 stands out from the crowd with its “I’m not like the other guns” vibe.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-27-2022, 10:33 AM
My favorite was an instructor who carried a chromed 1911, with skull carved grips. Wore a black tight tee shirt and some kind of black tactical pants. Also, just dialed in his course and quit earlier because he was tired.

Ball cap backwards is always a clue.

JonInWA
12-27-2022, 10:49 AM
Walther P5. With points for a late model frame-mounted adjustable trigger stop.

Best, Jon

Hambo
12-27-2022, 11:16 AM
P7M8 or M13. Only legendary to those who never used/carried one. More parts than a Rolex and half as durable.

Stan Chen 1911 (not to pick on Stan, he just has the longest wait list I know of). The Hipster will tell you all about it from now until 2033 while carrying a DB9 because it doesn't ruin the lines of skinny jeans.

For the revolver Hipster, a folding trigger Bodeo 10.4mm, loaded with only four rounds of vintage ammo, which was all he could get from a cartridge collector.

Clusterfrack
12-27-2022, 11:30 AM
Hence the CZ-75 is the most hipster gun.

You have the Turk CZ clones or trashed milsurp for the dirtbags.
You have the standard CZ-75 and SP line for the students
You have the Match versions like the Parrot or Sphinx for the rich hipster posers
You have step-slides CZ-75s or a North Korean BDS for the real hipsters

LOL! Fortunately finished my coffee before reading this.

LockedBreech
12-27-2022, 11:34 AM
Tried explaining to my fiancee how rare and hipster the P7 is but never made it further than "squeeze cock action" because she was unable to stop laughing. She's kinda right.

My personally owned most hipster gun is probably my Beretta Cougar 8040. .40 which nobody carries anymore, check. A brand/model which has not been on the market for most of a decade, check. A model that wasn't that well known even at its peak, check.

L-2
12-27-2022, 11:47 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)

I had to look up "Hipster" on Wikipedia, which also had some pictures of people for examples.
I don't know any. I don't know if I've ever personally seen any. And I don't quite understand their views, tastes, or wants.

I'm suspecting a Hipster may relate to liberal politics, but I don't know if that's true. I suspect most Hipsters wouldn't be interested in firearms, but don't know that either.

It was nice to see some rare and unusual firearms shown, so far, in this thread at least.

Otherwise, I got nothing.

Sig_Fiend
12-27-2022, 01:57 PM
Most hipster gun I've ever owned (no longer have it though). First gen Glock 19. One of only ~20-25 ever imported (best I've been able to tell after talking with Glock US and several collectors) and only some of those in private hands.

See, Glocks are supposed to be unremarkable mechanical devices that are purely functional. Contrast that with this experimental version being so rare and coveted it has been elevated to a legendary and mythical status overtaken by few. The sheer contradiction and irony of such a soulless mechanical device being unobtanium and pursued to such an irrational degree is hipster gold. It's Newton's third law materialized in polymer. Literally the G19 "before the G19 existed". So good it makes you feel like:

I'm totally joking BTW. All in good fun. ;) I like to post about this gun from time to time because it was the last conversation I had with the late Paul Gomez just a couple weeks before his passing. I had just acquired the gun and was geeking out over it. He was such a student of history he thought it was cool too. He also said something to the effect of, I should share about it with people so the history isn't lost. So here it is.

Moylan
12-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Hipster gun these days: Taurus 856 Executive.

It allows the discriminating owner to revel in the sense that the hoi polloi all look down their noses at Taurus because they think they're informed, but in fact they're not tracking what's what nearly as well as I am--Taurus being trash is so five minutes ago.

The ordinary gun owners all want their Sig 365 whatevers or their Glocks because they run with the pack, but those of us who can really think for ourselves realize that a revolver is where it's at for all kinds of reasons I could explain to you if you were smart enough to understand or developed enough to pay attention to.

Carrying the Taurus allows for a level of irony, as well, like the mustache.

Yep, definitely the 856.

I am not ashamed to say that I bought one myself. But I do not have a mustache. And I sold the Taurus. So I'm not actually a hipster, at least not for long. Though I mostly shoot CZ's.

Well, I mean, I dig Rush, too, so whatever.

LockedBreech
12-27-2022, 02:47 PM

It allows the discriminating owner to revel in the sense that the hoi polloi all look down their noses at Taurus because they think they're informed, but in fact they're not tracking what's what nearly as well as I am--Taurus being trash is so five minutes ago.

The ordinary gun owners all want their Sig 365 whatevers or their Glocks because they run with the pack, but those of us who can really think for ourselves realize that a revolver is where it's at for all kinds of reasons I could explain to you if you were smart enough to understand or developed enough to pay attention to.

Yep, definitely the 856.

I am not ashamed to say that I bought one myself. But I do not have a mustache. And I sold the Taurus. So I'm not actually a hipster, at least not for long. Though I mostly shoot CZ's.

I actually really wanted to try the Taurus Executive Grade, but I cannot stand a revolver without a hammer unless it's a 642/LCR.

rjohnson4405
12-27-2022, 02:49 PM
I would think it's a W. German marked sig, just so everyone doesn't see that it's cool and different at first so they get the opportunity to do what they love to do the most....correct people on "why, actually, this gun is quite different and better"

DMF13
12-27-2022, 03:34 PM
Agree with others. Toss up between H&K P7, P9S, Walther P88...would add Walther P5 and H&K VP70...those would be my top 5.The VP70, and P38/P5 came to mind for me. Although, the awful trigger of the VP70 might turn off anyone, including a hipster.

camsdaddy
12-27-2022, 03:41 PM
I thought the current hipster gun would be either a P365 or a 43X either with MOS with all sorts of trinkets and doo dads.

Flamingo
12-27-2022, 04:03 PM
Ok, this is all tongue in cheek and a little hipster irony.

I can't believe that no one has suggested the BHP as the most hipster gun... especially when it is paired with basically unobtainium gun leather such as a 5Shot SME or a Thad Rybka Rhodesian holster (even the name of that is Hipster with a captial H).

The irony of using a school art table as the background should be noted and admired.

JCN
12-27-2022, 04:08 PM
I thought the current hipster gun would be either a P365 or a 43X either with MOS with all sorts of trinkets and doo dads.

I think having a gun in common with a suburban housewife at the range would be like hipster kryptonite.

I think part of their identity is having something so exclusive that people have to marvel at how special they are and what elevated tastes they have. Can’t be something just on cost, though. That’s something different.

So to that end, my other hipster offerings:

My working assumption is that a hipster would love the attention of:

“Hey, what is that?!”

Followed by a hipster description on the merits and history of that obscure firearm.

And the anticipated and relished response:

“Oh, that’s COOL!”

DMF13
12-27-2022, 04:23 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if already mentioned, but I imagine this might be a contender:
https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=53

SouthNarc
12-27-2022, 04:41 PM
I think the COP 357 magnum 4 barrel derringer is pretty hipster.

Half Moon
12-27-2022, 04:49 PM
I think the COP 357 magnum 4 barrel derringer is pretty hipster.

If you can't do it in four, you're not doing your part...

MattyD380
12-27-2022, 04:53 PM
I think having a gun in common with a suburban housewife at the range would be like hipster kryptonite.

I think part of their identity is having something so exclusive that people have to marvel at how special they are and what elevated tastes they have. Can’t be something just on cost, though. That’s something different.

My working assumption is that a hipster would love the attention of:

“Hey, what is that?!”

Followed by a hipster description on the merits and history of that obscure firearm.

And the anticipated and relished response:

“Oh, that’s COOL!”

Damn, you got me with the revolver--you definitely earned the: "Hey, what is that?!" Well played.

But I did have a Boberg XR9-S back in 2013. It was literally the second firearm I ever owned (the first was a Sig P230SL). And since I did have a Boberg, I will go ahead and cover the pedantically hipster-ish description of the merits and the history...

"With his XR9 pistols, Arne Boberg essentially created a bullpup semi-automatic pistol: the breech sits directly above the magazine. This allows the barrel to be significantly longer relative to the length of the gun--but it also means that conventional feeding is impossible. Thus, the Boberg design employs an ingenious reverse-feeding method, in which a dual-sided, pivoting claw extracts rounds rearward out of the magazine during the recoil cycle. Once the slide reaches the rearward extent of its travel, a lifting "arm" raises the round into a position for feeding. The forward motion of the slide then completes the feed cycle, cleanly chambering the round with zero need for a feed ramp. It's also worth noting that the Boberg design uses a rotating barrel mechanism which not only softens the recoil impulse, but precludes the need for heavy recoil spring. In addition to the XR9-S, Boberg also developed the XR9-L (full size) and the extremely rare XR45.

Arne Boberg sold his design to Bond Arms in 2016, which re-launched the XR9-S as the "Bond Bullpup" in 2018."

Whew. Glad we knocked that out. Now... Tell us about that funky revolver!!!

Seriously, though... I wish I still had that Boberg. It was teeny tiny--shorter than a Kahr PM9. And I remember the DAO trigger being very nice... though I had no idea how to handle a DAO trigger at that point in my gun-ownership journey.

JCN
12-27-2022, 05:14 PM
MattyD380

You having owned an XR9S proves that it’s a good hipster gun, lol!

The revolver is a Korth Sky Hawk

The Sky Hawk is a 9mm revolver with 2” barrel requiring no moon clips due to its proprietary ejection system. The fully machined frame and parts fit together and function like a fine Swiss watch. All parts and frame are machined from billet steel and aluminum. The trigger is high polished and the action is like no other compact revolver due to the high level of engineering and attention to detail during the machining and assembly process. Durability and accuracy is unmatched as it should be in a revolver of this stature.

DanTheWolfman
12-27-2022, 06:42 PM

Yep, definitely the 856.

The fact that I was following an Executive all week thinking I would get it at xmas on a deal online for less than could get at Smokey Mountain hurts my feels....Bidding w shipping became nope not a deal...
And I deal I need it to be...

I found a more rarish 2tone w slightly different grips that the g10s usually on them....so it is still in consideration as is a Charter...so.....

DanTheWolfman
12-27-2022, 06:59 PM
What's up man?! Welcome to PF!

Ah... too bad on the HP-DA. It's such a cool gun and a neat piece of wondernine history. Honestly, $775 isn't bad--especially if you get some non-neutered 14-round mags with it. I'll say there are certain guns I shoot better... but the HP-DA ain't far off. Groups super tight, though sometimes slightly off POA. I don't love the grips or the sights--and, unfortunately, there aren't really other good options out there.

The P239 is one of my favorites. Of all the Sigs I've had, I think I shoot the P239--and the P245--the best. The P239 hangs with my Beretta 92, PX4 and my Walthers in terms of group size at intermediate distances. And while it's nice and compact, I just wish the slide was a little thinner. The S&W 3913 has it beat, in that regard. But in my experience, the P239 handily outshoots the 3913. YMMV, of course.

As far as capacity... I think the trade-off for the super thin grip is worth it, personally? It makes it quite concealable, even under light clothes. Plus, extra single-stack mags are pretty easy to carry.

In any case... both awesome guns.

Also, check out Dan's YouTube channel--he's got some cool martial arts content AND cool gun content:
https://www.youtube.com/@DanTheWolfman

It did have 2 mags....I had linked you it under your video a few hours before it finished.....but that just got beyond what would be justified for a none carry showoff on YT piece...

Thanks by the way. I do have a knife defense thread on Unarmed Combat.
Got the GF a 3953 as the simple stupid least likely to ND auto I could think of. Bit too slim for me...and a single stack in .40 I could somewhat justify...in 9mm not so much unless it was like a p9s or similarly hipster rarish.. The p239's in .40's look like they are going to go under $400 but then always go for closer to $500 on GB and usually only have 2 mags. I want one...but there is good new stuff available for cheap.. ..Defenders, Delta's etc so it is hard to justify.

THERE is a nice 92SB COMPACT on GB i've been following just went over $500 so that puts it out for me right now when my car just died and no mechanics until Thursday due to weather and holidays . That would be up your alley my friend.

F ME...I am a wannabee Gun Hipster that doesn't have the money.....I follow all the rare stuff...it adds to my knowledge when I see something a little different and do research on it.

There are TWO Browning BDA/220s in .38 Super on GB for you peeps w money.
I just found my box of .38super I bought when C1984 started hoping would either work in my 357 but won't fit...or be a barter item

There is a NICE looking .22lr9shot High Standard Revolver which I think is a Dan Wesson at only $500 right now

DrkBlue
12-27-2022, 07:16 PM

I feel called out by this particular hipster post.

I regularly carry a Smith Model 12 that dates to the Eisenhower Administration (I have a spare 12 and use a Model 10 for practice). This one is Sokol tuned (RIP). I also occasionally carry an alloy P35 that Karl worked over, which also is an Eisenhower-Kennedy dated model.

The Taurus 856 is a smaller, better designed model than the Model 12 which probably shoots as good if not better. Plus it doesn’t take a wizard to have a night sight.

Therefore I argue that while the 856 is hipster, a Carter-era kid carrying an Eisenhower-Nixon era snub is just a bit more hipster. That is because it is a flat latch 12…

Also, my beater Model 10, with gratuitous stag grips.

Joe in PNG
12-27-2022, 07:37 PM
Of course, the easy button answer is "whatever Bac is posting this week".

bac1023
12-27-2022, 07:40 PM
Of course, the easy button answer is "whatever Bac is posting this week".

Well I just posted another hipster special :)

DanTheWolfman
12-27-2022, 07:52 PM
I feel called out by this particular hipster post.

I regularly carry a Smith Model 12 that dates to the Eisenhower Administration (I have a spare 12 and use a Model 10 for practice). This one is Sokol tuned (RIP). I also occasionally carry an alloy P35 that Karl worked over, which also is an Eisenhower-Kennedy dated model.

The Taurus 856 is a smaller, better designed model than the Model 12 which probably shoots as good if not better. Plus it doesn’t take a wizard to have a night sight.

Therefore I argue that while the 856 is hipster, a Carter-era kid carrying an Eisenhower-Nixon era snub is just a bit more hipster. That is because it is a flat latch 12…

Also, my beater Model 10, with gratuitous stag grips.

Nice, Do you recall what grips those are and did you sand the middles down to get it to fit on that 12 or what?

I also appreciate Dick's and 12's lol......

I know that will come back on me

dogcaller
12-27-2022, 09:21 PM
The fact that I was following an Executive all week thinking I would get it at xmas on a deal online for less than could get at Smokey Mountain hurts my feels....Bidding w shipping became nope not a deal...
And I deal I need it to be...

I found a more rarish 2tone w slightly different grips that the g10s usually on them....so it is still in consideration as is a Charter...so.....

I would think it's a W. German marked sig, just so everyone doesn't see that it's cool and different at first so they get the opportunity to do what they love to do the most....correct people on "why, actually, this gun is quite different and better"

I resonate with this remark, but do not resemble it. My (late-80s) W. German P226 is well used and extremely well-made, even with those funny pins in the slide. I recall reading a Guns &Ammo article by Jan Libourel many years ago, back before I owned one (or legally could), in which he described the 226 as “boringly reliable.” He got that right. I also have and carry a P7m8. It’s utterly reliable and accurate, in addition to being an interesting and unique piece. It fits my “Smartcarry under basketball shorts” needs almost perfectly—it’s so very flat and size efficient. I’d love if it weighed less, but there’s no such thing as perfect. I recently picked up a 3913 —with Ashley Big dot sights, no less!—from a PF member, thinking it could serve a similar role and with a more familiar manual of arms that my wife could also use. I like it so far. All this being said, I’m no hipster.

Living in No. Colorado, I am well acquainted with them— I know of which I speak. They are pretty harmless, just mildly amusing, and not for me. I rarely wear flannel; NEVER skinny jeans or suspenders; don’t drink much beer, and when I do, it doesn’t taste or smell like skunk; I do not own any mustache wax; and, I appreciate irony as a literary device, not a way of being. But I sure do like my P7 and W.G. P226.

awp_101
12-27-2022, 09:25 PM
So a technical question regarding hipsters. Do they follow the “gun of the month” trend? If so, budget 2011s will be THE hipster gun for the next quarter.

dogcaller
12-27-2022, 10:01 PM
So a technical question regarding hipsters. Do they follow the “gun of the month” trend? If so, budget 2011s will be THE hipster gun for the next quarter.

Doubtful. I have a strong sense that the hipster ethics is not about what is new and trendy.

Joe in PNG
12-27-2022, 10:28 PM
Depends on the flavor of hipster. There's some hipsters into the cheap end of things- that would be those into Yeet Cannons and Makarovs.

DrkBlue
12-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Nice, Do you recall what grips those are and did you sand the middles down to get it to fit on that 12 or what?

I also appreciate Dick's and 12's lol......

I know that will come back on me

The K Frame-ish grips are Herretts.

I had the custom made to measure, but still did some very minor fitting for the thinner alloy frame and to reduce the trigger pull distance a tenth of an inch. Herretts had the Model 12 dimensions almost perfect. Goldilocks grips - not too big for concealment, just enough for optimal control. The camera/lighting makes the wood look more open grained and less figured than they look in person. If I ding them, it is easy to touch up with linseed oil.

https://www.herrettstocks.com/

The one regret is the semi-Bob hammer. That is a dumb half measure - just cut off all the spur. My original rationale is the Model 12 has a one-off hammer for that model only and I wanted to retain as much firing pin weight as possible. Just bobbing it would have been a smarter move.

Totem Polar
12-27-2022, 10:41 PM
Hipster gun these days: Taurus 856 Executive…

You make a compelling point. That said, the ultimate Hipster would go back to the *other* heyday of Taurus not sucking, and do a 431–3” only, of course—with Lost River carry ammo in it. Now *that* would be hipster.

“Wow. How many rounds does that Boberg hold?”

“It’s a pretty cool number, you probably haven’t heard of it…”

;)

feudist
12-28-2022, 02:31 AM
It did have 2 mags....I had linked you it under your video a few hours before it finished.....but that just got beyond what would be justified for a none carry showoff on YT piece...

Thanks by the way. I do have a knife defense thread on Unarmed Combat.
Got the GF a 3953 as the simple stupid least likely to ND auto I could think of. Bit too slim for me...and a single stack in .40 I could somewhat justify...in 9mm not so much unless it was like a p9s or similarly hipster rarish.. The p239's in .40's look like they are going to go under $400 but then always go for closer to $500 on GB and usually only have 2 mags. I want one...but there is good new stuff available for cheap.. ..Defenders, Delta's etc so it is hard to justify.

THERE is a nice 92SB COMPACT on GB i've been following just went over $500 so that puts it out for me right now when my car just died and no mechanics until Thursday due to weather and holidays . That would be up your alley my friend.

F ME...I am a wannabee Gun Hipster that doesn't have the money.....I follow all the rare stuff...it adds to my knowledge when I see something a little different and do research on it.

There are TWO Browning BDA/220s in .38 Super on GB for you peeps w money.
I just found my box of .38super I bought when C1984 started hoping would either work in my 357 but won't fit...or be a barter item

There is a NICE looking .22lr9shot High Standard Revolver which I think is a Dan Wesson at only $500 right now

Here's one for the discriminating .40 Hipster

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956147700

A Forty Forty Forty, no less...
Scandium single stank DA/SA

DanTheWolfman
12-28-2022, 10:57 AM
Here's one for the discriminating .40 Hipster

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956147700

A Forty Forty Forty, no less...
Scandium single stank DA/SA

Wonder what the the weight is on that.....not sure I would want that light in a ForTAY...

I would like a ShortyForty if there is ever a deal on one before 40 comes back around

Totem Polar
12-28-2022, 11:10 AM
Thanks to Lester Polfus, we now know that Taurus just offered up a serious contender:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Executive-Judge.png

Taurus Judge Executive Grade.

That is pretty damn hipster, right there.

Lester Polfus
12-28-2022, 11:12 AM
Thanks to Lester Polfus, we now know that Taurus just offered up a serious contender:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Executive-Judge.png

Taurus Judge Executive Grade.

That is pretty damn hipster, right there.

I would carry that ironically.

Totem Polar
12-28-2022, 11:13 AM
I would carry that ironically.

Is there any other way to carry it? Lester and Totem: championing IC since 2023…

Stephanie B
12-28-2022, 11:14 AM
You guys are slipping. A true classic hipster would carry a C96:

A modern hipster would carry a Fuken Bruno in 7.5mm Unobtainium:

Lester Polfus
12-28-2022, 11:16 AM
Is there any other way to carry it? Lester and Totem: championing IC since 2023…

"Do you carry AIWB?"

"No, IC. You've probably never heard of it."

Moylan
12-28-2022, 11:39 AM
"Do you carry AIWB?"

"No, IC. You've probably never heard of it."

IC of the Exec Judge has to involve a shoulder holster. Or possibly an ankle holster, while wearing shorts.

Navyguns
12-28-2022, 12:24 PM
CZ-52.

In my empirical research of hipsters in the wild they tend to thirst for the former Soviet, Eastern bloc countries designs. I hypothesize it’s due to an appreciation of communist authors, and the unrefined savagery of the weapon designs that communism produces. They seem to attach themselves to the sentiments of said unrefined weapons in hopes it establishes their own aura of ruggedness. In many ways you do become what you consume. Unfortunately, with hipsters it’s soy, garlic hummus and bad fashion. It does a poor job of convincing anyone they’re actually rugged especially while holding an IPA.

OfficeCat
12-28-2022, 12:42 PM
CZ-52.

Now we're talking. Bonus points if you picked one up back when they were going for $89. The Czechs were the hipsters of the Warsaw Pact. I've always summed up their philosophy as, "Sure, we could just use Soviet tooling and use their weapon designs, but why do that when we can use our own designs which are much more complicated and work almost as well?"

Every time I talk to someone about my CZ-52 I feel compelled to share one of my favorite nuggets of gun forum wisdom, although I forget the source. Someone was asking if a CZ-52 was a good choice for self defense, and the irrefutably correct answer was yes, if you have to defend yourself against someone who is 100 meters away and taking cover behind a car.

DanTheWolfman
12-28-2022, 12:44 PM
Range 5 years ago guy that worked there let me shoot his...he carried it at work. ND into the floor behind counter within a week after. Maybe half cock and strap situation idk

Edster
12-28-2022, 01:23 PM

I would first have to mount a scope (not a red dot, a scope), then find a suitable thigh rig and black vest.

MickAK
12-28-2022, 02:50 PM
Taurus Curve.

IYKYK

Borderland
12-28-2022, 03:08 PM
Colt Agent. The 9mm officer model deal with the groove/gutter sight.

Yes, I had one.

:)

Had being the operative word here probably. I almost bought one of those until I read some real world accounts of not-so-functional. I think I bought a Gold Cup instead.

Lester Polfus
12-28-2022, 03:16 PM

]

Surely I’m not the only Jon Sable fan on this forum?

Because that is hipster as fuck.

(You’ve probably never heard of it.)

Borderland
12-28-2022, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking a Tokarev T33 here. Has to be something from a socialist country and 1940 ish. Ammo has to be available also.

https://i.ibb.co/Q6Dk3K7/tokarev.webp (https://ibb.co/D7rYHRP)

https://i.ibb.co/VBkJTmW/TT3301.webp (https://ibb.co/ysxdqSn)

Stephanie B
12-28-2022, 04:05 PM
Surely I’m not the only Jon Sable fan on this forum?

Because that is hipster as fuck.

(You’ve probably never heard of it.)

Well, there’s this nifty website called “Google” that’ll find out shit like that there….:p

Shades
12-28-2022, 04:11 PM
Is it possible to be semi-hipster-ish? No man-bun, limited flannel, can't do skinny jeans, but I have a 'stache (no wax) and own both a German-made SIG (P6, no less) and a BHP in 7.65 Parabellum. (.30 Luger to you.)

03RN
12-28-2022, 04:35 PM
This is either a trick question or belongs in the Revolver Forum.

I hate to admit it but I agree.

BillSWPA
12-28-2022, 05:03 PM
I'm thinking a Tokarev T33 here. Has to be something from a socialist country and 1940 ish. Ammo has to be available also.

https://i.ibb.co/Q6Dk3K7/tokarev.webp (https://ibb.co/D7rYHRP)

https://i.ibb.co/VBkJTmW/TT3301.webp (https://ibb.co/ysxdqSn)

I know someone who bought one of those to carry.

Borderland
12-28-2022, 05:07 PM

How does it work? ;)

BillSWPA
12-28-2022, 05:07 PM
CZ-52.

In my empirical research of hipsters in the wild they tend to thirst for the former Soviet, Eastern bloc countries designs. I hypothesize it’s due to an appreciation of communist authors, and the unrefined savagery of the weapon designs that communism produces. They seem to attach themselves to the sentiments of said unrefined weapons in hopes it establishes their own aura of ruggedness. In many ways you do become what you consume. Unfortunately, with hipsters it’s soy, garlic hummus and bad fashion. It does a poor job of convincing anyone they’re actually rugged especially while holding an IPA.

Bonus points if it is in 7.62x25, which if I understand correctly has ballistics which occasionally become trendy.

Joe in PNG
12-28-2022, 05:08 PM
I'd prefer a FEG Tokagypt 58 myself.

DanTheWolfman
12-28-2022, 05:39 PM
Bonus points if it is in 7.62x25, which if I understand correctly has ballistics which occasionally become trendy.

.I mean, the tests I saw of ppu jhps got adequate penetration and expansion. Cartridge is too long even to mod a g29 though unfortunately. When it was cheap it would have been nice to have a modern pistol in it. CHINA did the like zastava 99 type 226 looking gun in it. 14 to 16" penetration 1.5x 1650 fps doesn't suck

The zystava m57A w a legit slide safety isn't bad I'm sure just heavy for capacity.

TDA
12-28-2022, 08:11 PM
The Devel and the ASP are totally different, people. You should be ashamed of yourselves! (Although they’re both kind of primitive proto-6906s, I mean, the 59 series base guns, not the 39s)

I think the actual answer might be a no lock PC 586 L-comp with a red dot, because we want to be half a year behind Caleb so no one can say we’re copying his style, but still 6 months ahead of the gun press and 3-5 years ahead of the hoi polloi.

BN
12-28-2022, 08:31 PM
The most hipster handgun is the Bowen that SouthNarc just posted about. :)

HeavyDuty
12-28-2022, 10:00 PM
The Devel and the ASP are totally different, people. You should be ashamed of yourselves! (Although they’re both kind of primitive proto-6906s, I mean, the 59 series base guns, not the 39s)

I think the actual answer might be a no lock PC 586 L-comp with a red dot, because we want to be half a year behind Caleb so no one can say we’re copying his style, but still 6 months ahead of the gun press and 3-5 years ahead of the hoi polloi.

The pic upthread was a Seventrees ASP like mine. I have never seen a Devel 39 in the flesh.

Lester Polfus
12-28-2022, 10:49 PM
The pic upthread was a Seventrees ASP like mine. I have never seen a Devel 39 in the flesh.

Yup. You’re right. The one I shot must have been an original ASP because it had the original Guttersnipe sight.

I had read about them in the John Gardner James Bond books and I assumed they we something the author made up until a dude unzipped a pistol rug and said “check this out.”

Same guy had either a Swedish K or the S&W copy. I don’t recall which.

FrankB
12-28-2022, 11:08 PM
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but the Beretta Cheetah seems like a contender. I’d like to find one in person, but no luck so far. You have to picture Quentin Tarantino espousing the benefits of .380, and the Italian styling of the 84.

MountainRaven
12-28-2022, 11:10 PM
Meditating on this further, and thinking upon those hipsters I know who carry handguns...

Anything CZ, carried AIWB.

bac1023
12-29-2022, 03:47 AM
I know this is the semi auto forum, but I've seen some revolvers in this thread too.

How about this 1938 Registered Magnum with 3.5" barrel? All original and in pristine condition...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/RwiBDh.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plRwiBDhj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/AMtQXH.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmAMtQXHj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/OAI68V.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poOAI68Vj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/TXpFvR.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poTXpFvRj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/I1dIit.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plI1dIitj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/Ssf6mS.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poSsf6mSj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/a8Aphw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poa8Aphwj)

Hemiram
12-29-2022, 05:20 AM
When I think "hipster", Glock comes to mind. A friend's son has a customized one he carries most of the time. One with a weird colored slide and barrel, red dot, etc. That kid is Kramer level Hipster doofus.

Shoresy
12-29-2022, 08:21 AM
How does it work? ;)

You pull the trigger and bullets fly out the muzzle, but that's not important right now. :cool:

Borderland
12-29-2022, 11:31 AM
You pull the trigger and bullets fly out the muzzle, but that's not important right now. :cool:

Said the captain of the cruiser Moskva.

gato naranja
12-29-2022, 11:59 AM
Some seldom-seen but still useable combination of Sig 365 grip frame and slide sizes, customized with a vedic mandala engraved on each side of the slide before Turnbull color case hardening.

Carried in an AIWB holster made of Heck cattle hide and tooled with an obscure, college-dorm-level profundity in sanskrit. Bonus points for a matching man-bun hair tie.

Lester Polfus
12-29-2022, 12:27 PM
Some seldom-seen but still useable combination of Sig 365 grip frame and slide sizes, customized with a vedic mandala engraved on each side of the slide before Turnbull color case hardening.

Carried in an AIWB holster made of Heck cattle hide and tooled with an obscure, college-dorm-level profundity in sanskrit. Bonus points for a matching man-bun hair tie.

/thread

1Rangemaster
12-29-2022, 01:13 PM
First-DAMN! Is that S&W “Registered Magnum” gorgeous?!? Thanks for putting that up…

I have several in mind, with some comments:

1)A High Standard Sentinel, nickel plated with faux ivory grip, in .22 Magnum. I could go with .22lr, but one loses some “special” points. Hey, Chic Gaylord ran one! Current option: the new Taurus revolver with a dot.
2)Unless I missed it, I find it hard to believe no one has mentioned some Luger variant. Right now, I’m leaning toward a “Swiss” Luger in 7.65 Parabellum. I could be swayed towards the Artillery model, but only with a custom leather shoulder holster and accessories-snail mag, anyone?- in a leather dispatch case. Available? A Swiss Sig 210; several available for only a few thousand online-Lugers too!
3)For you Anglophiles, a Webley of some variation. “Coach gun” could be a Webley-Fosberry. Bonus points for a Prideaux speedloader. An obtainable alternative: Schofield reproduction.
4)Steve McQueen was pretty hip in my view. Bullitt’s Colt Diamondback in a Berns Martin shoulder holster should make the list. We are pretty close with the 3” Pythons now. Dan Wesson revolvers with several barrels. Somebody here can donate a Korth to me…
5)”Hipsters” might travel light, so an Astra 300 has to be mentioned. Always liked how the Mauser Hsc looked, too. Obtainable? Walther PPK, 9 mm kurz, with a .22lr TPH for backup!

I could go on, but that wouldn’t be cool, man…

DanTheWolfman
12-29-2022, 01:45 PM
I've got to admit a .45 Webley seems pretty cool. There was a Brazilian 1917 so made in 50
s I think .45 acp w the Barrel cut down to like 3.5" on GB a couple months ago that was also very appealing.

HCM
12-29-2022, 01:58 PM
I know this is the semi auto forum, but I've seen some revolvers in this thread too.

How about this 1938 Registered Magnum with 3.5" barrel? All original and in pristine condition...

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/RwiBDh.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plRwiBDhj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/AMtQXH.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmAMtQXHj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/OAI68V.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poOAI68Vj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/TXpFvR.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poTXpFvRj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/I1dIit.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plI1dIitj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/Ssf6mS.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poSsf6mSj)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/a8Aphw.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poa8Aphwj)

Nothing hipster about that.

There seems to be a serious miscommunication in this thread between people who know what hipsterism is and people mistaking technical knowledge and / or ability (aka gun nerds) for hipsters.

1Rangemaster
12-29-2022, 02:23 PM
OK, HCM, I see your point. So, 30 Super Carry Shield, AIWB carry with training from a Smartphone?

Borderland
12-29-2022, 03:24 PM
Going to a Hipster thread so as to not pollute this one anymore.

Inkwell 41
12-29-2022, 09:27 PM
How about a Beretta 1951?99254

Joe in PNG
12-29-2022, 11:57 PM

I kinda wish they'd make those now with a 1911 style safety instead of a pushbutton, and a proper mag release.

coldcase1984
12-30-2022, 10:17 AM
Mack Bolan-Approved!!!

Navyguns
12-30-2022, 04:55 PM
I originally said the CZ-52 but I would like to add an honorable mention, the Glock 19 gen. 2. It will be a hipster gun in the near future. No rail, no red dot, only 15 rounds and from the 1990’s.

CleverNickname
12-30-2022, 05:13 PM
I originally said the CZ-52 but I would like to add an honorable mention, the Glock 19 gen. 2. It will be a hipster gun in the near future. No rail, no red dot, only 15 rounds and from the 1990’s
Nah, if you're going to nominate a plastic striker-fired gun it'd be something more like an original pre-Springfield Armory HS2000. Way more unique than some pedestrian Glock but not something that's functionally better or actually collectable.

Lost River
12-30-2022, 08:53 PM

Man,

I have literally had cardboard boxes filled with those things.

Just freebie guns.

I worked on a number of them to make sure they were functional.

https://i.imgur.com/gluWzpx.jpg

Borderland
12-30-2022, 09:59 PM
I originally said the CZ-52 but I would like to add an honorable mention, the Glock 19 gen. 2. It will be a hipster gun in the near future. No rail, no red dot, only 15 rounds and from the 1990’s.

Points if it has the OEM 10 rd mag. I know someone who has several 19's from the Clinton AWB era. Are they collectable?

Wondering Beard
12-30-2022, 10:30 PM

Hmm ...

So what does that say about those of us (me, blues and others) who bought them when they came out (89 for mine I think, one for me, one for my wife) and still own them?

HeavyDuty
12-30-2022, 10:39 PM
Hmm ...

So what does that say about those of us (me, blues and others) who bought them when they came out (89 for mine I think, one for me, one for my wife) and still own them?

That you need a name change to Wondering Greybeard?

Wondering Beard
12-30-2022, 10:48 PM
That you need a name change to Wondering Greybeard?

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything. :-)

Also, my beard has been grey for easily 20 years so ... hmm ...

blues
12-30-2022, 11:54 PM
Hmm ...

That we're Luddites? (I haven't read this thread because I've been hip since the 60's. I don't need any approbation. ;))

Oh, and I got my G19 in either 12/88 or early '89.

JHC
12-31-2022, 08:09 AM
That we're Luddites? (I haven't read this thread because I've been hip since the 60's. I don't need any approbation. ;))

Oh, and I got my G19 in either 12/88 or early '89.

When I hear "hipster" in the context of such choices, I think of great coffee (thank you), craft beer (thank you), craft bourbons (thank you), craft tequila (thank you) . . . stuff that starts niche but goes viral.

So I think the most hipster pistol has to be a Staccato P or C2 with an optic carried AIWB.

Trigger
12-31-2022, 09:00 AM
A nickel plated sissy pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynHenL72bPY

Lost River
12-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Hmm ...

I would simply say you guys were cool dudes (and dudettes) that were cool dudes before you knew you were cool dudes!

How about a Gen 1 and Gen 2 G17.

sorry for crappy pic.

https://i.imgur.com/Oj02wUA.jpg

I seriously don't know why I've held onto the 17.1 other than it is a history piece.

The 17.2 gets shot frequently enough, as I like the smooth frame, and I bought an aftermarket 17.3 slide equipped for rdo that works great. Only afterwards I read (I believe here) that it was not supposed to work that way.

dogcaller
01-02-2023, 11:23 AM

Oof. How does one “unlike” a post?

Also, why are Combloc sidearms so freaking ugly? I’m specifically thinking of the CZ52 and that Tokarev. The Makarovs do have an understated elegance, now that I think of it. I bought one of those CZ52s cheap years ago when I had my C&R FFL. Do not enjoy shooting it. My Makarov is just OK, shooting-wise. The trigger snaps my finger somehow, but it *is* 100% reliable.

BillSWPA
01-02-2023, 11:37 AM
Oof. How does one “unlike” a post?

Also, why are Combloc sidearms so freaking ugly? I’m specifically thinking of the CZ52 and that Tokarev. The Makarovs do have an understated elegance, now that I think of it. I bought one of those CZ52s cheap years ago when I had my C&R FFL. Do not enjoy shooting it. My Makarov is just OK, shooting-wise. The trigger snaps my finger somehow, but it *is* 100% reliable.

None of the above would be any knowledgeable person’s first choice. I am not 100% sure how one would safely carry a Tokarev other than empty chamber, although some did have thumb safeties. I doubt any of these meets modern standards for drop safety, and if I had to carry a Makarov, it would be with the safety on safe.

The appeal of these guns was cost. When they were cheaper, that made sense. They seemed to have cult followings. Some of that was based on misconceptions about the performance of 7.62x25.

dogcaller
01-02-2023, 11:38 AM

Ruh-roh…. This is my most frequently carried EDC since I bought it in the mid 90s. I’m probably safe though—no IPAs, man-buns, or skinny jeans.

Duelist
01-02-2023, 12:53 PM
Man,

I have literally had cardboard boxes filled with those things.

Just freebie guns.

I worked on a number of them to make sure they were functional.

https://i.imgur.com/gluWzpx.jpg

Were those actually Berettas, or Iraqi or Egyptian clones?

Lost River
01-02-2023, 02:16 PM
Most were Egyptian Helwans, which were a licensed copy of the M1951 Beretta. While a lot of Egyptian guns were not so hot, these were actually very well put together guns. Many of the ones that I saw had seen a considerable amount of use, but were in fairly good shape. Some of the barrels looked like they had seen corrosive ammo though, so I did a good bit of Frankenstein type work on some. Same with CZ-75s and BHPs. I did have a number of original Berettas as well.

One day an Iraqi Colonel or General (I cannot recall which, as it was a long time ago) was at in a meeting at the embassy. One of his detail members was outside at the front of the building where I was also at. Long story short, he produced his sidearm. A 1911. Not an A1, but a Colt 1911, and handed it to me. All original. He wanted to trade for my issued Glock 19. Talk about a heck of a deal!

Ends up he did not even have a full magazine of ammo for the gun. It was close to full, but not quite. I would have loved to have made that trade, but the Glock was an issued item.

I also had an MP-5 that was either Turkish Iranian or Egyptian. I cannot recall now. Interesting markings on it as I remember. I have pics on a large drive somewhere. It was a very well built gun, but of limited practical use for me at that time, as an M4 really served my needs better.

That little Scorpion was an interesting little machine pistol but we did not have much ammo for it, so it was kept around but only fired on a limited basis.

Borderland
01-02-2023, 03:15 PM
deleted

jtcarm
01-03-2023, 01:41 AM
My dictionary: hipster = pretentious pseudo-intellectual.

That equates with anything HK.

4RNR
01-03-2023, 09:04 AM
Points if it has the OEM 10 rd mag. I know someone who has several 19's from the Clinton AWB era. Are they collectable?Not really unless you find the few guys who seem to think they are. I had a gen1 G17 in its original Tupperware box and a gen 2 G19 with Austrian proof marks!!! Neither was worth more than a few hundred bucks

CZ 75 I always thought was a Hipster gun.

Borderland
01-03-2023, 10:27 AM
My dictionary: hipster = pretentious pseudo-intellectual.

That equates with anything HK.

I think HK has identified itself as a gun a hipster might want, judging from some of the ads I've seen.

Glenn E. Meyer
01-03-2023, 11:16 AM
I had a G19 Gen 2 from 1994 to 2019. It served me well (I hate that term). Had night sights but that was it. Sold it as didn't want the expenses of shipping and storage. Only did that for my better or sentimental stuff. Got G4s and 5 latter. However, my G3 G26 still is just fine.

Hipster - chromed 1911, ivory-ish grips, ball cap backwards, comes to a match once with GF. Tells her how it works. SO tells him how it works. Never seen again. GF had cap on backwards also. I told her in a nice old man way to turn it around as to keep empties from your face. She was appreciative. Macho man glared and glared.

FrankB
04-30-2023, 04:59 PM
Our very own MattyD posted a great hipster gun video today. 🤣👍

https://youtu.be/HkavRPXAnCU

Wondering Beard
04-30-2023, 05:15 PM

Unironically!

;-)

Sig_Fiend
04-30-2023, 05:40 PM
Good stuff. Though, he needs to rewrite the channel description to be called, "One man's love letter to the SIG P239" ;) jk

FrankB
04-30-2023, 07:19 PM
Paging MattyD380

Kanye Wyoming
04-30-2023, 08:47 PM

That was outstanding.

MattyD380
04-30-2023, 09:27 PM

Haha. Thanks so much for the free promotion, FrankB!

This thread actually served as the inspiration for the article (on PrimerPeak.com). Then I figured, "Shit... I might as well make a video out of it." I was a little worried the campy/tongue & cheek vibe wouldn't come through in the video. But once I added the cheesy background music and the maudlin stock photos, it came together.

Beyond the silliness, I think (hope?) it helps give people permission to just... like guns. Certainly guns are serious tools for serious purposes. But for most of us, I think, our passion/interest/curiosity for firearms goes well beyond that.

And before you know it... you end up with a freakin' YouTube gun channel :)

MattyD380
04-30-2023, 09:28 PM
That was outstanding.

Thanks, man!

MattyD380
04-30-2023, 09:35 PM
Good stuff. Though, he needs to rewrite the channel description to be called, "One man's love letter to the SIG P239" ;) jk

Haha. Thanks, dude. The P239 isn't just a pistol... it's a lifestyle.

I feel like "P239" could be one of those terms that can function as every part of speech...

"That's sooo P239."

Or

"I straight P239'd that semi-annual review."

Borderland
04-30-2023, 09:45 PM
I'm just glad so many people scorn the P-239. Otherwise I wouldn't have so many of them.

Borderland
05-01-2023, 08:47 AM
I didn't know P-F had their own Gun Jesus. When can we expect posters?

MattyD380
05-01-2023, 09:43 AM
I didn't know P-F had their own Gun Jesus. When can we expect posters?

Bless you and your P239s, brother! And if I do any posters, I'll let you know...

Trooper224
05-01-2023, 10:36 AM
"Watching Diehard while wielding my Beretta 92....."

Never done that, not ever.

The video was hilarious, but at the same time it really spoke to me. Any vid that mentions the Walther P5 gets a thumbs up.

FNFAN
05-01-2023, 11:25 AM
Perhaps the Finnish Lahti L-35 should be in the running? I also remember fleeting mention and arcane references in the gun rags of my youth, to some upper echelon CIA dude that carried a Colt Woodsman in a vertical shoulder holster for most of his career.

BillSWPA
05-01-2023, 12:03 PM

That video is seriously well done and funny!

Actsda
05-01-2023, 12:23 PM
Haha. Thanks so much for the free promotion, FrankB!

This thread actually served as the inspiration for the article (on PrimerPeak.com). Then I figured, "Shit... I might as well make a video out of it." I was a little worried the campy/tongue & cheek vibe wouldn't come through in the video. But once I added the cheesy background music and the maudlin stock photos, it came together.

Beyond the silliness, I think (hope?) it helps give people permission to just... like guns. Certainly guns are serious tools for serious purposes. But for most of us, I think, our passion/interest/curiosity for firearms goes well beyond that.

And before you know it... you end up with a freakin' YouTube gun channel :)

Holy crap! Just watched the P239 video a couple months ago which led me to your long form video review of the 229. Had no idea it was your channel. I have enjoyed all of your input and posts on the P239 and DA/SA over the years as the 239 was a previous long term carry gun of mine that replaced a P225. Your P239 video is easily the most comprehensive and well thought-out review of that pistol on YouTube. Have to say, from your previous posts on here, I didn't picture you being as young as you appear to be. Good to know that some younger shooters still appreciate the P22_ series of guns!

MattyD380
05-01-2023, 05:50 PM
Holy crap! Just watched the P239 video a couple months ago which led me to your long form video review of the 229. Had no idea it was your channel. I have enjoyed all of your input and posts on the P239 and DA/SA over the years as the 239 was a previous long term carry gun of mine that replaced a P225. Your P239 video is easily the most comprehensive and well thought-out review of that pistol on YouTube. Have to say, from your previous posts on here, I didn't picture you being as young as you appear to be. Good to know that some younger shooters still appreciate the P22_ series of guns!

Thanks, man! I really appreciate the kind words. Glad you're finding value in the content... I share perspectives that I would find useful/interesting, if I was considering a given gun. And I've always thought there's a strong case to be made for the P239's merits beyond just size/weight. It fills a pretty narrow niche; but I think it's a very relevant niche, for many.

And thank you for the presumption of elder wisdom! It's usually the opposite... :)

RAM Engineer
05-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Got to be a Staccato...

Jumme
05-03-2023, 04:47 AM
Ha ha excellent video MattyD380!

Great to have such a vocal spokesperson for us social deviants😄….

But since you keep on raising the bar review wise as well, when can we expect lets say a Steyr GB?😋…. Or wait, the P5 Compact! There is work to be done!

Thanks Matt, enjoying your work…

Regards from Europe,

Jumme

WobblyPossum
05-03-2023, 09:37 AM
That was a really enjoyable video, Matt. Keep up the good work.

JWH
05-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Didn’t MAB use to make a fixed magazine 9mm that used stripper clips?

TDA
05-04-2023, 10:15 PM
That was a great video (although I do want an LTT 92 with a dot) but it lacked any mention of Safari Arms, .400 Cor-Bon, Briley spherical bushings or the S&W Performance Center.

TDA
05-04-2023, 10:32 PM
But also this:

farscott
05-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Never been accused of being fashionable, but I like me some hipster pistols. My list.

1) HK P7M10. Not just the squeeze cocker, but the squeeze cocker in the caliber adopted by the FBI when the pistol was released. Not for the rest of his life for Hans Gruber as he only had a 9mm P7.

2) Colt Series '80 in 9x23 Winchester. The only Colt 1911 model ever made in the ultimate 9mm 1911 cartridge that no one knows. Makes the .38 Super look anemic while solving 9x19 feed issues.

3) STI Trojan 5.0 in .40 Super. This one combines "Who and what pistol?" with out of production with "What round?"

4) S&W 945-1 or the S&W 3rd Generation meets the 1911 complete with Wilson rear sights and thumb safety. Honorable mention for the six-inch PPC version of the 952 or the PPC9.

5) Swiss-made military SIG P210 aka "The most accurate military sidearm ever issued." The original hipster sidearm.

That Guy
05-05-2023, 07:01 AM
Didn’t MAB use to make a fixed magazine 9mm that used stripper clips?

I can't recall that one, but Steyr made their m1912: Wikipedia article (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_M1912_pistol)

And yes, I want one. A stripper clip fed fixed magazine 9mm pistol sounds awesome. :D

CSW
05-05-2023, 07:04 AM
I'm going the hipster socialist point of view.
What else but the Nagant :

Sig_Fiend
05-05-2023, 08:22 AM

Not gonna lie, those are actually kind of fun to shoot. There's the atrocious trigger pull, added sensation of the articulating cylinder, and the ridiculously anemic recoil. It almost feels like a hang fire of a few milliseconds combined with a squib load with each trigger pull. ;)

Archer1440
05-05-2023, 09:32 AM

"What else?" you ask...

Elwin
05-05-2023, 09:45 AM
4) S&W 945-1 or the S&W 3rd Generation meets the 1911 complete with Wilson rear sights and thumb safety. Honorable mention for the six-inch PPC version of the 952 or the PPC9.

I just looked this up because I’d never heard of it. The more I look at it the more by brain hurts. I’m generally a fan of 1911-izing things but the weird splicing here of two classic pistol designs is bothering by brain when I can’t tell where the SW 3rd Gen ends and the 1911 starts.

Borderland
05-05-2023, 10:01 AM
Honorable mention.

https://i.ibb.co/nwYgwfr/Webley-Mk-IV-1.webp (https://ibb.co/BfQzfjL)

https://www.recoilweb.com/webley-mk-iv-review-179172.html

I purchased a MK IV mail order before the 68 GCA. Came with a box of ammo and a military holster. IIRC it was 38/200 and cost was less than $20.

OfficeCat
05-05-2023, 01:11 PM
Honorable mention.

https://i.ibb.co/nwYgwfr/Webley-Mk-IV-1.webp (https://ibb.co/BfQzfjL)

https://www.recoilweb.com/webley-mk-iv-review-179172.html

I purchased a MK IV mail order before the 68 GCA. Came with a box of ammo and a military holster. IIRC it was 38/200 and cost was less than $20.

Webley went so mainstream with the MK IV. I stopped carrying Webleys after they quit making the Webley-Fosbery. It was a single action automatic revolver with a manual safety for cocked and locked carry. You've probably never heard of it...

Borderland
05-05-2023, 01:53 PM
Webley went so mainstream with the MK IV. I stopped carrying Webleys after they quit making the Webley-Fosbery. It was a single action automatic revolver with a manual safety for cocked and locked carry. You've probably never heard of it...

Nope.

Archer1440
05-05-2023, 02:13 PM

I believe Gun Jesus I (as opposed to Gun Jesus II, hipster guy) did a piece on that particular revolver.

(And darn you all for finding me yet another interesting Guntuber to follow.)

Tabasco
05-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Nope.

It's what Miles Archer, Sam Spade's partner was killed with...

farscott
05-05-2023, 07:22 PM
I just looked this up because I’d never heard of it. The more I look at it the more by brain hurts. I’m generally a fan of 1911-izing things but the weird splicing here of two classic pistol designs is bothering by brain when I can’t tell where the SW 3rd Gen ends and the 1911 starts.

The 945-1 is a really great pistol. I think of it as an improvement over the basic 1911 design. The magazine bodies are the same as the 4506 with a second notch for the 945-1 magazine catch, the lockup is 3rd Generation (no link on the barrel and locks into the slide via the ejection port), and the action work is mostly 1911. It should have sold better than it did, but many 1911 fans had the same reaction. It did lead to S&W deciding to offer a 1911-pattern design.

4RNR
05-05-2023, 07:28 PM
I just looked this up because I’d never heard of it. The more I look at it the more by brain hurts. I’m generally a fan of 1911-izing things but the weird splicing here of two classic pistol designs is bothering by brain when I can’t tell where the SW 3rd Gen ends and the 1911 starts.I guess you've never seen the Hungarian P9R. It's a Hipower meets S&W 59

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

gc70
05-05-2023, 08:20 PM
I think hipsters would prefer custom Glocks because they are recognizable from their Glock DNA but so different and often even unique. They can get a Glock and have it customized any way they wish - stippling,engraving, piercing, coloring, tattooing, whatever.

Elwin
05-05-2023, 08:22 PM
I guess you've never seen the Hungarian P9R. It's a Hipower meets S&W 59

I’ve actually seen and handled one of those bizarre pistols in person, oddly enough. Similar reaction. I kindof liked the idea though.

I definitely don’t think the 945 looks like a bad gun. It’s just hitting my brain like the pistol version of one of those tests where you’re asked if it’s a glass or two faces and really it’s both.

I’m actually sitting here wishing Smith had done it as a 9mm double stack, beating Wilson to the EDC X9 idea.

4RNR
05-05-2023, 08:31 PM
I’ve actually seen and handled one of those bizarre pistols in person, oddly enough. Similar reaction. I kindof liked the idea though.

I definitely don’t think the 945 looks like a bad gun. It’s just hitting my brain like the pistol version of one of those tests where you’re asked if it’s a glass or two faces and really it’s both.

I’m actually sitting here wishing Smith had done it as a 9mm double stack, beating Wilson to the EDC X9 idea.In 356 tsw!!!!

Elwin
05-05-2023, 08:44 PM
In 356 tsw!!!!

That is the second Google search foisted upon me by this thread. I thought I was a hipster because I knew what 9x23mm was…

MattyD380
05-05-2023, 10:09 PM
Ha ha excellent video MattyD380!

Great to have such a vocal spokesperson for us social deviants😄….

But since you keep on raising the bar review wise as well, when can we expect lets say a Steyr GB?😋…. Or wait, the P5 Compact! There is work to be done!

Thanks Matt, enjoying your work…

Regards from Europe,

Jumme

That was a really enjoyable video, Matt. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, guys! I really appreciate it.

Jumme , I still need to feature your ARG holster for the P5. I've been meaning to do something on concealed carry for a while... just haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks again. It's classy and sexy. Just like the P5.

MattyD380
05-05-2023, 10:27 PM
I guess you've never seen the Hungarian P9R. It's a Hipower meets S&W 59

Nice. The P9R has been on my backburner cheap hipster gun list for a while. From what little I've read about, they seem to be pretty well regarded. I think the Hungarian military issues them?

I was surprised to see FEG actually made a subcompact version... the P9RZ. If you're looking for the optimal Hungarian hipster gun experience... that would get my vote.

https://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DBImages/feg-p9rz.gif

Lately, though, I've had my eye on the lone scandium jewel in the Smith 3rd gen lineup: the 4040PD.

https://img.officer.com/files/base/cygnus/ofcr/image/2007/08/model4040pd_10046386.png?auto=format,compress&w=1050&h=590&fit=clip

Basically a beefed up 3913/14 with a scandium-impregnated frame. I think it also has the later TSW improvements to the frame rails... which is cool. They're typically not cheap when they show up on GB. And I just bought a house. So, might have to wait. But I will own one... someday.

4RNR
05-05-2023, 10:29 PM
Nice. The P9R has been on my backburner cheap hipster gun list for a while. From what little I've read about, they seem to be pretty well regarded. I think the Hungarian military issues them?

I was surprised to see FEG actually made a subcompact version... the P9RZ. If you're looking for the optimal Hungarian hipster gun experience... that would get my vote.

https://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DBImages/feg-p9rz.gif

Lately, though, I've had my eye on the lone scandium jewel in the Smith 3rd gen lineup: the 4040PD.

https://img.officer.com/files/base/cygnus/ofcr/image/2007/08/model4040pd_10046386.png?auto=format,compress&w=1050&h=590&fit=clip

Basically a beefed up 3913/14 with a scandium-impregnated frame. I think it also has the later TSW improvements to the frame rails... which is cool. They're typically not cheap when they show up on GB. And I just bought a house. So, might have to wait. But I will own one... someday.I don't know IF, or to what extent they were issued but the quality was good.

Greg Bell
05-05-2023, 10:53 PM
Steyr pistols. They are terrible, but cool looking.

revchuck38
05-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Steyr pistols. They are terrible, but cool looking.

I had an M40. Once the extraction problem was fixed, it ran well. The sights were funky, but it was accurate. They were definitely not terrible.

MattyD380
05-06-2023, 07:46 PM
I’ve been curious about the Steyrs for a while. The trigger felt pretty good on the one I handled, a while back. The sights seem like a neat idea. But it’s a fully cocked/no-safety kinda thing… unless you get the first-gen models, which I guess had the extractor issues.

Borderland
05-06-2023, 08:22 PM
Here's another hipster gun that was DOA. I had a chance to buy one for cheap a long time ago and passed once I found out the cartridge was virtually out of production. I reload now and it wouldn't be a problem but I didn't at that time and I passed. Now they are collectors like a lot of the old Walther's and HK's. I also had an HK 4 that I gave to a relative. I really shouldn't have done that.

https://i.ibb.co/hmsBm48/walther-PP-Super.jpg (https://ibb.co/x7h17B5)

Walther PP Super 9x18 Ultra.

awp_101
05-06-2023, 09:06 PM

I believe Gun Jesus I (as opposed to Gun Jesus II, hipster guy) did a piece on that particular revolver.

(And darn you all for finding me yet another interesting Guntuber to follow.)

https://youtu.be/52t2jdLDHHg

https://youtu.be/4EqkcVlzVSw

Lex Luthier
05-07-2023, 09:23 AM
The designer, Col. Fosbery is credited with the saying “When one needs a revolver, one wants it very badly.”

Kanye Wyoming
09-18-2023, 09:25 AM

Kyle Reese
09-18-2023, 10:27 AM
Grand Power LP9M 9x18 Makarov

New production handgun chambered in....................9mm Makarov

https://globalordnance.com/grand-power-lp9m-9x18-makarov-upc-8588005808507/

https://youtu.be/qomJaDbHVjU?si=e0ENARG83VnQwxUe

FNFAN
09-18-2023, 02:41 PM
Has the Steyr GB been nominated?

Joe in PNG
09-18-2023, 04:15 PM

Lex Luthier
09-18-2023, 06:27 PM

The Last of the Horse Pistols.

randyho
09-18-2023, 06:44 PM

Winnar!

Lex Luthier
09-18-2023, 10:05 PM
Winnar!

There's a Swedish variant, first made by Nagant in Belgium and later by Husqvarna in Sweden, in 7.5mm Swedish. It did not have the case-mouth-sealing cylinder, and the double action was reasonable for the time.

You've probably never heard of it.*

The workmanship was what you'd expect. Jewel-like. Exemplary. The grip fit usually had no gaps of any kind, including the inlet back strap. I bet there were two or three Japanese folks who saw these back in the day and either got really determined expressions, or went wan and later drowned themselves in the sea.

(*Photographed from a Canberra)

randyho
09-19-2023, 07:44 PM
I stand corrected.

rmfnla
09-19-2023, 08:59 PM
I’m very late to this party but from what I see you all know a lot about guns but not so much about Hipsters.

There can be only one, and while any Webley could probably suffice, the Webley Fosbery stands alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley–Fosbery_Automatic_Revolver

rmfnla
09-19-2023, 09:03 PM
https://youtu.be/52t2jdLDHHg

https://youtu.be/4EqkcVlzVSw

OMG, I just posted this one!

Was too lazy to read all 24 pages but you beat me to it… good on ya! :cool:

pangloss
09-19-2023, 11:50 PM

109597The Steyr GB is the most "interesting" handgun I own. Surely I nominated it up thread. It was the first pistol I bought via the internet. I'd wanted once since I was a kid, but never could find one before the auction sites came online. I think I got mine in 2003.

MattyD380
09-20-2023, 09:51 PM
The Steyr GB is the most "interesting" handgun I own. Surely I nominated it up thread. It was the first pistol I bought via the internet. I'd wanted once since I was a kid, but never could find one before the auction sites came online. I think I got mine in 2003.

How do like your GB? Is it reliable? I'm assuming it's plenty accurate, given the fixed barrel.

I feel like, maybe, there's still hope of owning a GB at some point; I've basically written off any hope of the owning the "other" gas-delayed blowback hipster gun.

pangloss
09-20-2023, 11:34 PM
How do like your GB? Is it reliable? I'm assuming it's plenty accurate, given the fixed barrel.

I feel like, maybe, there's still hope of owning a GB at some point; I've basically written off any hope of the owning the "other" gas-delayed blowback hipster gun.

I haven't put many rounds through it, but I'm glad I have it. It's locked up tight on me once. When I say tight, I had to break out the rubber mallet to pop it out of battery. That could have been the ammo, but none of my other pistols have ever had that problem. If the gas system reduces felt recoil, it's only a tiny reduction because the gun recoils about like my other full size pistols. Trigger pull is good. Mags are outrageously expensive if you can find them. I only have one mag. GBs are easier to find now than 20 years ago, but they cost a bit more, at least in nominal dollars. I can't remember if I paid $400 or $500 for mine

MattyD380
09-21-2023, 12:25 AM
I haven't put many rounds through it, but I'm glad I have it. It's locked up tight on me once. When I say tight, I had to break out the rubber mallet to pop it out of battery. That could have been the ammo, but none of my other pistols have ever had that problem. If the gas system reduces felt recoil, it's only a tiny reduction because the gun recoils about like my other full size pistols. Trigger pull is good. Mags are outrageously expensive if you can find them. I only have one mag. GBs are easier to find now than 20 years ago, but they cost a bit more, at least in nominal dollars. I can't remember if I paid $400 or $500 for mine

Cool. Thanks for insight.

They've always been somewhat on my radar. I love the concept and the unique design. Strange on the lockup issue. The rubber mallet factor is never reassuring. But, maybe ammo, like you said. If I ever see one at a fantastic price... I might bite. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jumme
09-21-2023, 03:52 AM

Any chance you have some excessive carbon build up in the piston area around the gasport?

I have a GB and when I bought it, it had some pretty bad carbon build up.. It didnt lock up on me but had it happen once with a P7 M13.. it locked up after ejecting a casing and seized up tight.. Had to do the mallet thing you mentioned😊..

Turned out the gas piston had some pretty bad carbon build up… After cleaning it out and better cleaning intervals🥴 never had the problem again..

RAM Engineer
09-22-2023, 01:11 PM
Any Glock Clone that’s been CNC’d and TiNi’d half to death.

JRB
09-22-2023, 11:13 PM
Honorable mentions for the Vektor CP1 and the Bernardelli P.one

JWH
09-25-2023, 11:27 AM
For the “you’ve probably never heard of it” hipster, any old, odd, or esoteric will do. My favorite would probably be a triple lock in .455. For the “before it was cool” hipster, a Salient Glock, as it offers style over substance.

pangloss
09-25-2023, 09:36 PM
Any chance you have some excessive carbon build up in the piston area around the gasport?

I have a GB and when I bought it, it had some pretty bad carbon build up.. It didnt lock up on me but had it happen once with a P7 M13.. it locked up after ejecting a casing and seized up tight.. Had to do the mallet thing you mentioned😊..

Turned out the gas piston had some pretty bad carbon build up… After cleaning it out and better cleaning intervals🥴 never had the problem again..

Sorry for my slow reply. Carbon build up seems unlikely. Shortly after I bought this pistol, I loaned it to a friend. He super cleaned it before he returned it, and the pistol probably didn't have 200 rounds between that cleaning and the lock up. Having said that, I still don't have enough rounds through the pistol to know how dirty it can get before problems start.

bfoosh006
10-04-2023, 08:59 PM
Beretta Model 70 /110195 71

Borderland
10-04-2023, 09:07 PM
Beretta Model 70 /110195 71

I've been looking for one of those for awhile. Cheap like 300 cheap. I guess all the collectors have scooped them up.

MattyD380
10-04-2023, 09:47 PM
Nice.

I passed on a minty Beretta 70 at a gun show a few months ago. Then I saw the girl on "The Last of Us" (HBO) carrying one... sigh. I regretted it.

Nice feeling little pistol. Very solid and dense.

FrankB
10-05-2023, 01:34 PM
Nice.

I passed on a minty Beretta 70 at a gun show a few months ago. Then I saw the girl on "The Last of Us" (HBO) carrying one... sigh. I regretted it.

Nice feeling little pistol. Very solid and dense.

Raise the question, is it hipster to buy/carry pistols based on TV shows/movies especially older series? I grew up watching 60’s-80’s movies and TV, and they did influence what I like.
PPK
Any Revolver
Hi Powers
Colt 1903/1998
Forgot to include 1911’s!

CSW
10-05-2023, 01:55 PM
Probably not hipster, but definitely the funkiest pistol I have.
SAVAGE 1915, a 380.... But the pistol is marked 9mm from the factory.
My dad used to carry it as his off duty, till the sear went bad and it went full....

At one point someone made him the wood grips for it.

BillSWPA
10-05-2023, 03:37 PM
Probably not hipster, but definitely the funkiest pistol I have.
SAVAGE 1915, a 380.... But the pistol is marked 9mm from the factory.
My dad used to carry it as his off duty, till the sear went bad and it went full....

At one point someone made him the wood grips for it.

Perhaps the marking is 9mm short, 9x17mm, or 9mm Kurtz?

CSW
10-05-2023, 05:07 PM
The slide actually lists both.