PDA

View Full Version : Handcuff Case Options

Cats037
12-24-2022, 08:58 AM
I’m curious what options you all are using for plainclothes/street clothes. I’m looking for a low profile leather or Kydex OWB option for a 1.5 inch belt. Most threads I’ve seen are 5-10 years old. I’m sure there are new options out there. Currently I use a Don Hume C306-1 which isn’t bad, but it’s seems a little bulky and slides up and down.

TGS
12-24-2022, 09:39 AM
Plainclothes?

My belt.

Lon
12-24-2022, 10:01 AM
DSG Arms makes a decent Kydex one. It’s what me and my guys use.

https://dsgarms.com/d4-owb-kydex-single-handcuff-carriers

jd950
12-24-2022, 10:39 AM
Some places frown on/forbid just using belt.

That DSG case looks good.

Depending on clothes and need, I like the combo cuff case and light pouch because i find lights are valuable and uncomfortable to carry in pockets of nicer pants. Galco makes or made a CFPB combo pouch, although it might be discontinued now. I also like the Galco SC9 cuff case, if leather suits your purpose. Sorry to sound like a Galco shill, but I do like some of their stuff.

El Cid
12-24-2022, 11:04 AM
I’m still using this daily and very happy with it. You probably saw it in one of the older threads.

https://www.anrkydexholsters.com/product/custom-handcuff-carrier-creator/

Before this I used the Galco for several years until the snap failed. I’ve talked to others who had the same failure which is why I went with the Kydex from ANR.

BobM
12-24-2022, 11:07 AM
I use a long discontinued Bianchi that snaps over a duty belt but also has slots for a 1.5” belt. I’d probably go with Galco if I needed to replace it. You might also see if Desantis has anything that looks useful.

BobM
12-24-2022, 11:11 AM
We also issued a Safariland mag/cuff combo pouch to plainclothes people. They seemed to work well.

lwt16
12-24-2022, 11:43 AM
I use a Safariland open top case with a blazer. Works great.

TheNewbie
12-24-2022, 12:53 PM
I like Aker cuff cases and their cuff/mag combo.

TC215
12-24-2022, 01:09 PM
I’ve used one of these for a long time. I’d love to find a good option in Kydex.

https://gouldusa.com/products/handcuff-case-with-belt-loop-1?_pos=27&_sid=7a92598ad&_ss=r

Plainclothes?

My belt.

I did that for a while 10 or 12 years ago (I was younger and thought it looked cool), until I was in a foot pursuit one day, and the cuffs flipped up and worked their way down my pants and out one of pant legs. :rolleyes: I caught the guy, but had no handcuffs.

Cats037
12-24-2022, 02:33 PM
DSG Arms makes a decent Kydex one. It’s what me and my guys use.

https://dsgarms.com/d4-owb-kydex-single-handcuff-carriers

I’ve seen this one before, but never heard of DSG Arms. I try to stay away from Kydex manufacturers I’ve never heard of. It ends up being a money pit… Any issues with them?

I’m just waiting for the day Tenicor makes a cuff case. I know they have good contracts with agencies for their holsters. It would only make since to add on to the contract…

Cats037
12-24-2022, 02:36 PM
I’m still using this daily and very happy with it. You probably saw it in one of the older threads.

https://www.anrkydexholsters.com/product/custom-handcuff-carrier-creator/

Before this I used the Galco for several years until the snap failed. I’ve talked to others who had the same failure which is why I went with the Kydex from ANR.

I have seen these before. Any issues with them?

Cats037
12-24-2022, 02:41 PM
I’ve used one of these for a long time. I’d love to find a good option in Kydex.

https://gouldusa.com/products/handcuff-case-with-belt-loop-1?_pos=27&_sid=7a92598ad&_ss=r

I did that for a while 10 or 12 years ago (I was younger and thought it looked cool), until I was in a foot pursuit one day, and the cuffs flipped up and worked their way down my pants and out one of pant legs. :rolleyes: I caught the guy, but had no handcuffs.

This is similar to what I use now. I wish the belt loop was 1.5 inches as opposed to duty belt size.

This is why I don’t do the whole IWB/OWB pants carry. They tend to end up all over the place. I’m sure there’s guys and gals that have done this for years with no issues. To each their own.

Lon
12-24-2022, 03:07 PM
I’ve seen this one before, but never heard of DSG Arms. I try to stay away from Kydex manufacturers I’ve never heard of. It ends up being a money pit… Any issues with them?

I’m just waiting for the day Tenicor makes a cuff case. I know they have good contracts with agencies for their holsters. It would only make since to add on to the contract…

DSG has been around for a while. Offer an LEO discount. One of my go to places for stuff. I’ve got their house brand rail on my SBR. I’ve been using it for years.

El Cid
12-24-2022, 05:10 PM
I have seen these before. Any issues with them?

None. That’s why I said I’ve used it it years and am very happy with it. ;)

jnc36rcpd
12-25-2022, 12:38 AM
From the website, it looks like the Don Hume 306 might fit your needs. It does fit a 1.5 inch belt which is somewhat unusual for plainclothes handcuff carriers. I often use a similar rig from DeSantis, but that fits a 1.75 inch belt.

I assume you're in a unit where handcuffs actually get deployed on a frequent basis. If you're in a less active unit, I've also used the 4LEOS.com magazine/handcuff carrier. It is very low profile[B]ut the handcuff pocket will eventually stretch and won't retain the handcuffs (ask me how I know). While it's not very expensive, you will have to replace it every few months.

All this said, that DSG cuff case looks like a 10-8 rig. That may be a Christmas present to myself.

Merry Christmas and stay safe.

jlw
12-25-2022, 12:18 PM
I use the universal cuff case from Wilder Tactical (https://wildertactical.com/pouches/le-pouches/evolution-universal-handcuff-holder-attachments-in-drop-down/). I have one of a clip for soft-uniform, plain clothes, and I have several attached to duty belts.

For really low profile, check out this one from Blue Force Gear (https://www.blueforcegear.com/cuff-belt-pouch).

BK14
12-26-2022, 07:12 PM
What is your assignment? Plain clothes can mean a lot of stuff. I’ve used the Blue Force pouch, Aker 603, and my belt. For a desk assignment, the handcuff/mag pouch with a quick attaching belt loop may be a good option. For a Fugitive unit, consider that a duty belt slicked down is often a good answer. T shirt, vs dressy, covert vs overt etc. lot of variables. My default at this point if I’m not wearing an outer belt is tucked in the belt, but that’s normally only short durations.

KevH
12-27-2022, 02:19 PM
Plainclothes?

My belt.

Same.

I rarely wear cuffs when not in a uniform, but the few times I do it's a set of aluminum chain Peerless cuffs over my belt.

Just about anything else seems like overkill.

TGS
12-27-2022, 03:03 PM
Same.

I rarely wear cuffs when not in a uniform, but the few times I do it's a set of aluminum chain Peerless cuffs over my belt.

Just about anything else seems like overkill.

To be fair, I totally get TC215's experience. I tuck mine outside the waistband but inside the belt...just not inside the pants. They're definitely not chase-worthy inside the waistband, but when pinched by the belt against the pants seem to do fine.

I also don't wear my steels very much if I'm not overt or otherwise in some sort of enforcement role, which we typically aren't doing unless overt. They generally live on my vest. Otherwise I'm mostly carrying those nylon/kevlar tuff cuffs, or whatever they're called. I started carrying my steels on airplanes again just because of the increase in attacks on aircrews, and the fact that the nylon/kevlar tuff cuffs work but are a bitch to get on someone. I've also started carrying my steels on protection details again instead of the tuff cuffs for the same reason, as locals are now refusing to support details due to staffing issues, or due to depolicing otherwise refuse to intervene and make arrests even if they're present.

TC215
12-27-2022, 04:25 PM
To be fair, I totally get TC215's experience. I tuck mine outside the waistband but inside the belt...just not inside the pants. They're definitely not chase-worthy inside the waistband, but when pinched by the belt against the pants seem to do fine.

I think that would be better for sure.

I just ordered one of the DSG kydex models to try out. I believe the important thing is having cuffs on you, regardless of how they're carried. It's a running joke during our DT training that, after we get the 'suspect' on the ground in submission, we simulate unlocking our trucks with our key fobs and yelling, "Help, I'm a ### agent! Please get my handcuffs out of my center console!" :rolleyes:

Chuck Whitlock
12-28-2022, 07:06 PM

I use the paddle version of one of these. The hook on the paddle grabs my Magpul Tejas belt really well. I've also stretched it to fit a pair of S&W Model 1H Universal cuffs. This is in my normal assignment, where I am obviously a peace officer, and not covert or concealed.