PDA

View Full Version : Any Info on B&J P500 Universal Sight Tool?

Corlissimo
10-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Has anyone tried using the B&J P500 Universal Sight Tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163458/b-and-j-machine-p500-standard-universal-front-and-rear-sight-tool) on the P30 or HK45?

I was getting frustrated trying to find a competent local smith to install sights on my P30L so I just ordered one from Midway (I know... should've asked before ordering) since I'm a little impatient trying to get my sights squared away.

It looks like it should work well with slides that have slanted sides since there's an optional hold-down clamp to keep the slide seated in the tool. Considering it's less than $130 it seemed like a good deal since it's universal, and I plan on adding more HK's to my collection so I'll get some use from it.

Either way, I'll post results of my experience with it once I've used it.

orionz06
10-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I would likely get my account locked and a phone call for all the things I would say of this tool after using it.

I would not buy one, would not suggest it, and may god help you.

JV_
10-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I had one. IMO, it is junk.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

Corlissimo
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I would likely get my account locked and a phone call for all the things I would say of this tool after using it.

I would not buy one, would not suggest it, and may god help you.

LOL! Thanks! :)

I had one. IMO, it is junk.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

To both of you:

Why, specifically, have you reached the conclusions you have?
What guns have you used it on?
Were you able to successfully use it even if it was cheap/a POS/a PITA?

TIA

JV_
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
The screw that drives the sights out is easily stripped, and so are the threads in the side plate.

It's very difficult to keep the slide from canting to one side. The screw that drives the sights up and down ends up digging down in to the dovetail, or up. It doesn't stay square to the sight.

Because you have to crank down on the screws, to keep it from canting, it's easily to mar the finish on nicer guns.

What guns have you used it on?Glocks, M&P, and 1911s. If all you want to do is Glock sights, it might work fine.

Were you able to successfully use it even if it was cheap/a POS/a PITA?On the Glock, yes. Not on the other guns.

Jon C
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Absolute crap. The Meprolight one is the only universal I like.

I'm in Pinehurst if you want to use mine, and return that one you ordered.

orionz06
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
What guns have you used it on?
Were you able to successfully use it even if it was cheap/a POS/a PITA?

I reached my conclusions because it is a POS. I used it on multiple slides with success only because I decided damaging the sights and scratching the slide would be OK.

M&P and Glocks.

Yes but only after breaking the tool and scratching the sights.

The design flexes too much and does not allow the pusher part to stay in line with the sight dovetail and works against you until it breaks.

Corlissimo
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, I have to say that I can understand why you guys have your opinions of this tool. Truth be told, if I still had access to my old shop I probably would have made something very similar, albeit stronger, and with a few minor tweaks too.

I used mine to remove the factory luminous sights on my P30L. This went very smoothly. I did note, prior to removal, that my sights were not installed properly. The front was noticeably left of center, and the rear was noticeably right of center. No wonder that my groups were consistently to the right! I blame myself for not checking this earlier but I am trying to keep the whole "it's the Indian not the arrow" mindset while learning the gun and the DA/SA trigger. I should have checked it. :mad:

Here are the pics of the front & rear factory sight alignments. Sorry for the crappy shots, it was my Droid's fault! :rolleyes:

And here are the "new to me" Meps installed:

I'll also agree that if one is not careful it's very easy to have the pusher run along the bottom of the dovetail floor. This is especially true if you loosen the two pivot bolts that hold it and don't take care to realign it, and this was needed when switching from the front sight to the rear as the rear dovetail is cut deeper into the slide than the front one.

The slide did start to cant in the tool as I first applied pressure, but I addressed this with a rather large C-clamp and some electrical tape applied to the slide top. This however made it a job best suited for three hands. Gently clamping it in a vise, instead of the using the C-clamp, would have made things much easier and faster.

However, I took my time and made sure that everything was aligned properly and the P500 worked quite well and easily. I even removed the crappy XSBD's installed on my XD40 Service and reinstalled the factory Trijicon Night Sights.

Side Note: Using the optional top clamp that B&J has for the P500 would also help a lot. I will probably spend the $55 on that since I'm going to keep this tool for a while and have a few more sights I'll be swapping on & off a couple other pistols.

Gentlemen, I'm grateful for your warnings and experiences. If anything, they helped me make sure that I took my time and great care in getting this job done. And heck, at least I didn't have to beat on my sights with a lump hammer and punches, dinging them all up like some folks I've seen on this board! :)

Absolute crap. The Meprolight one is the only universal I like.

I'm in Pinehurst if you want to use mine, and return that one you ordered.

Thanks for the offer Jon. I appreciate it a lot. Too bad I didn't see your post until after I used my P500. :(
Is that Meprolight tool only good for Mep sights or can other sights be installed with it?

echo19
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I mangled a Glock's dovetail pushing a rear sight in with that tool. I was talking to a friend and wasn't paying my full attention to what I was doing. The block pushing in the rear sight was covered with tape to avoid marring the sight (never worked-always ended up with a marred sight) and I couldn't see it completely. The block went too far in and jacked up the dovetail. I admit it is totally my fault but a tool that could mess up a slide should not be used.

TCinVA
10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Has anyone tried using the B&J P500 Universal Sight Tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163458/b-and-j-machine-p500-standard-universal-front-and-rear-sight-tool) on the P30 or HK45?

I have a universal sight tool I tried to use on a P30 to replace the sights. I'd like to find the person who labeled it a universal sight tool and I'd like to embed said tool in their face.

I was getting frustrated trying to find a competent local smith to install sights on my P30L so I just ordered one from Midway (I know... should've asked before ordering) since I'm a little impatient trying to get my sights squared away.

I have a crowbar I'd like to embed in the face of the local smith I tried to have install the sights on my P30 when aforementioned universal tool turned out not to be.

That's actually not true.

I wouldn't use a crowbar. I'd rather embed the cracked slide in said gunsmith's face.

If you can't tell by now, my advice to just about everyone would be to send the slide to someone who knows what they are doing...perhaps even sending the gun and the sights to H&K and letting their customer service people give it a shot. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and lower stress in the long run...trust me.

Corlissimo
10-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I have a universal sight tool I tried to use on a P30 to replace the sights. I'd like to find the person who labeled it a universal sight tool and I'd like to embed said tool in their face.

I have a crowbar I'd like to embed in the face of the local smith I tried to have install the sights on my P30 when aforementioned universal tool turned out not to be.

That's actually not true.

I wouldn't use a crowbar. I'd rather embed the cracked slide in said gunsmith's face.

If you can't tell by now, my advice to just about everyone would be to send the slide to someone who knows what they are doing...perhaps even sending the gun and the sights to H&K and letting their customer service people give it a shot. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and lower stress in the long run...trust me.

Wow! Thanks TC! LOL :)

At this point in time, considering I've successfully used the P500 on two slides (P30L & XD) now, without cracking or damaging either I might add, I'd say I'm G2G.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say I'm now a P500 expert... and by extension, now also a master 'smith when it comes to sight installations. Anyone who wants to send me their custom 1911's can reach me via PM. :rolleyes:

mrozowjj
10-04-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I've been looking for a sight tool and a dude at my local club has one of these and he let me try it. It worked ok on my glock so I'm seriously curious what it is that you all hate about it so much?

tremiles
10-04-2013, 11:55 PM
The threads strip, and the pusher cants the sights, the slide clamp doesn't properly immobilize the slide, or both. You're better off and less likely to damage your slide, sights or both with a brass punch and hammer. Or in a perfect world, you could find someone on the board who will lend/rent you the excellent MGW/Ameriglo model specific tool for you pistol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JV_
10-05-2013, 04:31 AM
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I've been looking for a sight tool and a dude at my local club has one of these and he let me try it. It worked ok on my glock so I'm seriously curious what it is that you all hate about it so much?See Post #5

mrozowjj
10-05-2013, 05:30 PM
See Post #5

Check... is there a different option I should be looking at or am I going to have to buy a Glock only tool and then a CZ only tool, etc

tremiles
10-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Check... is there a different option I should be looking at or am I going to have to buy a Glock only tool and then a CZ only tool, etc

I'm not aware of a CZ specific sight tool, but you might want to post in the marketplace that you'd like to rent or borrow a clock sight tool.

Or brass punch and hammer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

JV_
10-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Or brass punch and hammer.The original universal sight tool. You'll need some files for fitting too.

Tamara
10-06-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm not aware of a CZ specific sight tool, but you might want to post in the marketplace that you'd like to rent or borrow a clock sight tool.

Or brass punch and hammer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I always took it as a clue that the pistolsmiths I know use a hammer and a non-marring punch, such as a length of micarta dowel. (Of course this presumes the presence of a good bench vise.)

TR675
10-06-2013, 11:15 AM
When changing sights know that at least some slides' dovetails are designed to have the sights drifted out and back in from one side only. If you'd like to know how I figured that out, I'll post a longer reply but will probably get an infraction for swearing.

mrozowjj
10-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I always took it as a clue that the pistolsmiths I know use a hammer and a non-marring punch, such as a length of micarta dowel. (Of course this presumes the presence of a good bench vise.)

Seeing as how I don't have a good bench vise or really any kind of vise which is what makes me interested in the sight tool in the first place.

TCinVA
10-13-2013, 09:50 PM
The MGW universal tool is worth a look. Of any "universal" tool I've seen so far, it appears to be the best thought out and least likely to cause homicidal rage.

mrozowjj
10-14-2013, 02:53 PM
The MGW universal tool is worth a look. Of any "universal" tool I've seen so far, it appears to be the best thought out and least likely to cause homicidal rage.

I can find a lot of MGW's sight tools but not any universal ones. Maybe my google fu is just weak.

5pins
10-14-2013, 06:02 PM
I can find a lot of MGW's sight tools but not any universal ones. Maybe my google fu is just weak.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9807-MGW-universal-sight-tool