PDA

View Full Version : Great Pyrenees kills 8 'yotes defending flock

JHC
12-13-2022, 03:23 PM
I want to believe every word of this. In fact, I shall. Wow.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/great-pyrenees-attacks-pack-coyotes-181407149.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Totem Polar
12-13-2022, 04:11 PM
Don’t mess with a dude’s pregnant wife. Mutual of Omaha’s FAFO kingdom.

Moylan
12-13-2022, 04:17 PM
We've got a guardian donkey for our goats instead of a dog. I do not know that she would go on the offensive like this pup did. I love those guardian dogs, but my problem is that I'd want to turn them into pets instead of letting them be working dogs. Happy with the donkey, but I don't know if she's ever actually been tested. We definitely have coyotes and the occasional loose domestic dog around here, and I suspect maybe they're smart enough to know they don't want a piece of Luna.

JHC
12-13-2022, 04:29 PM
We've got a guardian donkey for our goats instead of a dog. I do not know that she would go on the offensive like this pup did. I love those guardian dogs, but my problem is that I'd want to turn them into pets instead of letting them be working dogs. Happy with the donkey, but I don't know if she's ever actually been tested. We definitely have coyotes and the occasional loose domestic dog around here, and I suspect maybe they're smart enough to know they don't want a piece of Luna.

I've heard gobsmacking tales of guardian donkey's stompings.

BillSWPA
12-13-2022, 05:23 PM
I had a friend whose family raised goats, and kept Great Pyrenees dogs around to protect their herd. I would not agree with the article that these dogs make good pets, but they are okay around people who understand their purpose and are careful not to appear to threaten the other animals. They are very good at keeping animals safe from predators. My friend's dogs were largely nocturnal for this reason.

Glad this dog was able to get the care it needed. Putting it down after those actions would have been a shame.

the Schwartz
12-13-2022, 06:41 PM
I want to believe every word of this. In fact, I shall. Wow.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/great-pyrenees-attacks-pack-coyotes-181407149.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

Definitely a ''good boy'' if ever there was one.

UncleGabby
12-13-2022, 08:41 PM
“ During the incident, Wierwille's five other Great Pyrenees dogs herded the farm's sheep away from the chaos.” Gee, thanks for the help guys.

wsr
12-13-2022, 09:47 PM
Casper went on a murder spree, owner wasn’t much help

JCN
12-13-2022, 10:04 PM
I read that as ‘Yutes instead of ‘Yotes….

JCN
12-13-2022, 10:08 PM
This part is awesome.

According to FOX 5 Atlanta, Casper received over $15,000 worth of care to treat his injuries. The hefty medical bill was covered by animal lovers donating to a fundraiser for the dog. Casper's benefactors were so generous the dog ended up with excess funds; this money was donated to the animal hospital that cared for Casper. The funds will help other pet owners cover unexpected emergency vet bills.

AMC
12-14-2022, 12:55 PM
“ During the incident, Wierwille's five other Great Pyrenees dogs herded the farm's sheep away from the chaos.” Gee, thanks for the help guys.

Standard PSD protocol, at least in the past. Somebody has to counter the assault while the rest of the team evacuates the protectees. Maybe TGS could comment on the dogs tactics.

UncleGabby
12-14-2022, 01:55 PM
Standard PSD protocol, at least in the past. Somebody has to counter the assault while the rest of the team evacuates the protectees. Maybe TGS could comment on the dogs tactics.

Good point. But, there were 5 other dogs, I would hope at least one or two others would have leapt into the fray to help Casper when he went all Leroy Jenkins. Talking to a buddy at work who owns a Great Pyrenees, and hopes to start bredding them, he said with that breed the males are more likely to go on the offensive, while the females are more likely to stay close to the flock.

I don’t know if all of the other 5 were females, but they do kind of seem like bitches.

Joe S
12-15-2022, 05:22 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge#Battle

Trooper224
12-15-2022, 05:41 PM
Having seen GPs protect sheep herds, I don't find this at all hard to believe.

45dotACP
12-15-2022, 05:56 PM
I read that as ‘Yutes instead of ‘Yotes….

98434That might very well have changed the outpouring of support from the animal lover community....

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Robert Mitchum
12-16-2022, 01:13 AM
There are better breeds for flock guarding work, bigger and stronger.
We had both breeds they were killing machines.

Anatolian Shepherds & Kangal's

https://youtu.be/bDgj2T1i7_M

Alabai Dog AKA Wolf Crusher.

https://youtu.be/rZPQwRveGDM

Robert Mitchum
12-16-2022, 02:33 AM
There are better breeds for flock guarding work, bigger and stronger.
We had both breeds they were killing machines.

Anatolian Shepherds & Kangal's

https://youtu.be/bDgj2T1i7_M

Alabai Dog AKA Wolf Crusher.

https://youtu.be/rZPQwRveGDM

Should have said JMO.

Hemiram
12-16-2022, 07:15 AM
My friend had a Kangal, he was pretty scary to a lot of people, but he loved me and would come running when he saw my truck pull into the driveway, and demand I rub his chin before I even got out of the car. Another friend found a near dead pup on the side of the road. Thousands of $$ later, both in vet and food bills, he's a 220 pound monster whose stare scares a lot of people. Looks kind of like a Newfie, but his DNA, run by two different places, says he's about 50% S. African Boerbel, 25% Lab, and 25% Malamute. His name is Junior, and he's now the boss of my friend's 6 dog pack of mostly Pit/Coonhound and Pit/Lab mixes. The 2nd in command is one of those crazy field Labs from Texas, 125 pound Cody, who is finally calming down and hasn't destroyed anything lately. If he didn't look like he does, I would guess there is at least some German Shorthaired Pointer in him, he was one insanely active pup/young dog. He's almost 3 now, and seems to have stopped tasting furniture.

Robert Mitchum
12-16-2022, 12:10 PM
Some use both breeds the Great Pyrenees will stay by the flock during and after an attack unlike Anatolians, Kangal's and Caucasian they will patrol the borders then run the attacking animals or humans off.

My screwball personality always favors people and animals they are more violent when handling a bad situation.
Great Pyrenees from good lines are no joke.

Robert Mitchum
12-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Some use both breeds the Great Pyrenees will stay by the flock during and after an attack unlike Anatolians, Kangal's and Caucasian they will patrol the borders then run the attacking animals or humans off.

My screwball personality always favors people and animals they are more violent when handling a bad situation.
Great Pyrenees from good lines are no joke.

My screwball personality always favors people and animals that are more violent when handling a bad situation.
My brain is in slow gear today.