PDA

View Full Version : P365 models with high round count

mastiffkb
12-12-2022, 08:28 PM
Looking to get some info on high round count p365 models and if you feel they are quality pistols.

Having held and shot them they feel kinda cheap in build quality.

They point naturally for me and I shoot them well but not convinced they will hold up long term without issues.

Comparing them in this regard to something like an HK, Glocks, etc.

Thoughts and input are appreciated.

12-12-2022, 08:36 PM
I have a 365 with 7135 documented rounds. I lube it between range trips and wipe it down occasionally. There have been zero (0) non-ammo related malfunctions. I replaced the RSA at 3000 and 6000 rounds and I just replaced the trigger spring for good measure. I’m generally skeptical of sig products but I have absolute confidence in this gun.

L-2
12-12-2022, 08:47 PM
I like long-lasting, reliable handguns too, but:

It's a SIG, which might mean in 20 years it will have been discontinued with little to know replacement parts available. By then, something else will have come out and be the desired handgun to buy.

If 20,000 rounds are put through it, you will have put ~$6,000 of ammo through it; if 30,000 rounds, an estimated $9,000. This is just to put the ~$600 pistol price in perspective, not including spare mags, accessories, holsters, modifications, etc.

If it does seem to be the best handgun for the rest of one's hopefully long life, buy another one or two for spares.

BTW, I'll still occasionally carry and shoot my 90's P225, and have two other later model SIGs, but I mainly carry one of many Glocks I own nowadays.

I don't own and have not shot a P365, but I understand many folks like them. When the P365 came out, I already had a Glock 26gen3 and a G43, after already owning a few other G26 models, for that subcompact size of handgun. From what I hearing, the P365 breakages came when the model was first introduced, but later versions received updated, redesigned parts, such as the firing pin, making them reliable. Let's see if there are any 5,000-20,000 round reports/reviews to chime in.

YVK
12-12-2022, 09:21 PM
https://www.maxonshooters.com/blog/sig-sauer-p365-gun-review-100000-round-torture-test

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sig-sauer-p365-15000-rounds-later/

RJ
12-13-2022, 06:45 AM
Interested in any extended round counts, here or elsewhere.

My personal round counts with three is pretty low:

P365 (2020 - 2021) - 440 rounds when sold, 0 issues
P365XL (2021 - 2022) - 641 rounds when sold, 0 issues, less a fail to chamber instance in two brand new magazines (never recurred.), and one time the follower barfed out the top of a partially loaded mag tube after being dropped.
P365X (2021 - current) - Primary EDC, 884 rounds to date, 0 issues.

D-der
12-13-2022, 03:24 PM
I've got north of 14000 rd's through three of em,
a std 365 with 3600- 3800 and two XL's one with
2450 2490 and another XL with right right around
8500 rd's.
I've replaced the recoil springs in 2 and had my
first malfunction (minor) of any kind last week end.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick
up another one.

LockedBreech
12-13-2022, 06:21 PM
If it does seem to be the best handgun for the rest of one's hopefully long life, buy another one or two for spares.

For a very, very long time, especially in my accumulate 5 new service handguns a year phase, I thought the Pistol-Forum standard of "Buy the same gun, have an extra, have spares" was a silly and boring policy. Who could be that boring? How is that fun?

Some intervening years and here I am, a Gen 5 Glock 17 in the nightstand, a Gen 5 Glock 19 in my home office, a Gen 4 Glock 17 in the work drawer, tons of Glock 17 and Glock 19 holsters and magazines, and my wallet hides in fear every time I see a good batch of Glock 17 or Glock 19 police trades.

It really does make life easier once you find a platform you trust to last and trust yourself to perform with.

To the OP, we're only at a few hundred rounds through my fiancee's P365 with manual safety but it has handed 4 different weights and brands of ammo without a hint of an issue. For what it's worth, the P365 seems fair to call well-vetted at this point.

CarloMNL
12-13-2022, 11:26 PM
For a very, very long time, especially in my accumulate 5 new service handguns a year phase, I thought the Pistol-Forum standard of "Buy the same gun, have an extra, have spares" was a silly and boring policy. Who could be that boring? How is that fun?

Some intervening years and here I am, a Gen 5 Glock 17 in the nightstand, a Gen 5 Glock 19 in my home office, a Gen 4 Glock 17 in the work drawer, tons of Glock 17 and Glock 19 holsters and magazines, and my wallet hides in fear every time I see a good batch of Glock 17 or Glock 19 police trades.

It really does make life easier once you find a platform you trust to last and trust yourself to perform with.

To the OP, we're only at a few hundred rounds through my fiancee's P365 with manual safety but it has handed 4 different weights and brands of ammo without a hint of an issue. For what it's worth, the P365 seems fair to call well-vetted at this point.

I bought a P365 MS for a couple of reasons. One, there are times when I need something even smaller than a G26 and I can't see the sights on a Bobcat even under good lighting. Two, I have three friends who've each shot 16,000-ish rounds through their P365s and not one has had issues yet. (They typically go 200 rounds a week, 4 weeks a month, 10 months a year.) I'd frequently run into them at the range and I've seen their guns shoot NATO ball, reloaded/range ammo with coated bullets, and carry stuff like HST and Critical Duty. Other than the occasional faulty primer, the guns worked well.

mastiffkb
12-15-2022, 12:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input, it is much appreciated.

Decided to get a couple at my LGS, a P365x and also a P365x macro. The X to conceal and the Xmacro for home.

Got an Icarus precision xl grip and keepers holster for the X.

Ordered a JM holster for the Xmacro since it won’t fit in the keepers holster and also a Holosun 507k green ACSS.

Let the round count and training begin.

R_Shackleford
12-15-2022, 01:04 PM
You may already know this but I don't think the icarus grip will fit a standard P365x holster.

mastiffkb
12-15-2022, 06:17 PM
You may already know this but I don't think the icarus grip will fit a standard P365x holster.

It is the older xl hybrid frame so thankfully it fits.

HCM
12-15-2022, 07:23 PM
Looking to get some info on high round count p365 models and if you feel they are quality pistols.

Having held and shot them they feel kinda cheap in build quality.

They point naturally for me and I shoot them well but not convinced they will hold up long term without issues.

Comparing them in this regard to something like an HK, Glocks, etc.

Thoughts and input are appreciated.

We probably have about 200 P365 variants in use as secondary or off duty weapons in my office. I don’t know that any are particularly high round count, but they are seeing a few hundred rounds a year and I’ve only seen one “failure.”

We’ve previously seen a few that didn’t pass initial inspection due to quality control issues, but those were usually bad batches of guns from SIG. There was a batch of out of spec take down lovers, and a batch of slides that had an oversized dovetail cut for the rear sight causing the sight to walk out u see recoil.

Personally, I consider the 365 series to be a better design than the 320. The two main differences being the 365 uses a conventional firing pin/striker safety arrangement, and the modular fire control unit on the 365 is a casting that is machine to final dimensions versus the stamp sheet-metal of the 320.

I’ve been in three different modern samurai project RDS pistol classes with shooters running P365 XL models. That’s between 700 and 1000 rounds in a two day class. Two of the guns, running Holosun K optics made it through the entire class with no issues. The other gun running an original SIG Romeo zero had to be pulled and the shooter switch to another gun due to an optics failure. The gun itself was still 100% functional.

The guns are good to go, but I would recommend running one of the Holosun K model optics over the smaller SIG optic. We just started seeing some of the new Romeo, zero elite, second generation SIG optics. They do have a brighter dot but they haven’t been in service long enough to see if they are really more durable or reliable than the prior generation.

G19Fan
12-16-2022, 12:34 AM
We have a few p365 variants.

The highest round count one is a P365XL Macro that mimics my carry gun and is also loaned to my brother and two of my best friends.

That gun is at around 12k+ rounds this year. Recoil spring changes every 3k or so rounds. No issues so far with the gun. Had a 15 round mag stop working but that was mag related not gun related

alamo5000
12-16-2022, 02:39 AM
Not exactly a 'high round count' from me, but mine has at least a couple thousand rounds through it. Probably closer to three. So far not a single problem. I have the XL.

wmu12071
12-16-2022, 07:16 AM
We probably have about 200 P365 variants in use as secondary or off duty weapons in my office. I don’t know that any are particularly high round count, but they are seeing a few hundred rounds a year and I’ve only seen one “failure.”

We’ve previously seen a few that didn’t pass initial inspection due to quality control issues, but those were usually bad batches of guns from SIG. There was a batch of out of spec take down lovers, and a batch of slides that had an oversized dovetail cut for the rear sight causing the sight to walk out u see recoil.

Personally, I consider the 365 series to be a better design than the 320. The two main differences being the 365 uses a conventional firing pin/striker safety arrangement, and the modular fire control unit on the 365 is a casting that is machine to final dimensions versus the stamp sheet-metal of the 320.

I’ve been in three different modern samurai project RDS pistol classes with shooters running P365 XL models. That’s between 700 and 1000 rounds in a two day class. Two of the guns, running Holosun K optics made it through the entire class with no issues. The other gun running an original SIG Romeo zero had to be pulled and the shooter switch to another gun due to an optics failure. The gun itself was still 100% functional.

The guns are good to go, but I would recommend running one of the Holosun K model optics over the smaller SIG optic. We just started seeing some of the new Romeo, zero elite, second generation SIG optics. They do have a brighter dot but they haven’t been in service long enough to see if they are really more durable or reliable than the prior generation.

I also took an MSP class with a 365xl with a 407k on it. I hove 2 guns set up similarly. XLs with safeties and 407ks but one has a PMM comp. I have been shooting them for about 13-14 months. I try to get to the range often but it seems to turn into about 26 trips a year and about 100 rounds a trip (outside of any class or "just for fun" trips). The only time I have had problems is on the first trip after I installed the comp. I didn't put ANY lube on the barrel because I am an idiot. I had a few FTF that trip shooting garbage ammo. Once I realized the mistake I have not had another issue.

MickAK
12-16-2022, 09:20 AM
If you're concerned about long term durability the best thing to do is find a busy rental shop. They're going to put a higher round count on it faster than any one person outside of certain competition guns.

Personally provided you replace springs and assemblies I think there's unlikely to be an issue. I haven't seen anything to be concerned about with my training copies north of 10k. P365XL.

There are other pistols that could potentially last longer but that doesn't seem to really be something to factor in given the guns purpose. It's a pistol, not an axe or a shovel.