PDA

View Full Version : Wather PPQ...DAO? SA? DA/SA? QA? AS? lol too confused...

Red Leader
03-26-2011, 12:28 AM
So with all these different trigger types, just what is the new Walther PPQ? Is there anyone that has handled one or shot one that can weigh in on it? Walther America is calling it the QDT - Quick Defense Trigger and saying that the pistol has a 100% pre-cocked striker...I'm not even sure what that means.

Anyway looks like a cool new pistol and it should be fun hearing some more information about it. Any idea on floor price and availability?

F-Trooper05
03-26-2011, 03:17 AM
The PPQ hasn't been shipped to distributers yet, so the only people who have shot one are those who had an opportunity to do so at SHOT Show. Supposedly it has a Glock-like trigger system.

JDM
03-26-2011, 07:11 AM
100% pre cocked? Does that mean it's going to be classified as a single action by the ATF?

TCinVA
03-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Walther did some clever engineering on the P99's striker to allow them to ship a model that functioned similarly to a DA/SA gun, a model that functioned like a DAO gun, and a model that a model that functioned like a Glock, and IIRC they even had a model with just the SA like trigger pull with an "anti stress" takeup that had a little bit of weight and a lot of trigger travel...because actual research has been done showing the length of the trigger pull contributes to the propensity for an unintentional discharge.

So the striker could be:

1. Completely de-cocked (DAO, or decocked functionality on the standard P99)
2. Partially cocked (Quick Action models...similar to a Glock's setup)
3. Fully cocked ("anti-stress" trigger engaged if the trigger was not held to the rear when slide cycled on standard models and the SAO model, IIRC)

With the PPQ (and keep in mind I haven't handled one yet) Walther seems to have gone with the Quick Action/Glock style setup for their striker. Walther did a superb job at producing a very good trigger feel on the P99. One wonders if the PPQ's trigger will have the same smooth pull and clean break.

DannyZRC
03-26-2011, 04:00 PM
...because actual research has been done showing the length of the trigger pull contributes to the propensity for an unintentional discharge.

I'm very interested to hear more on this.