PDA

View Full Version : Assassination of Parking Authority Officer

TGS
11-30-2022, 09:21 AM
It matters not whether you're actually a full fledged cop, parking authority officer, jailer, fireman, EMT, etc.

If you're wearing a uniform...particularly one with some sort of badge....you are a target since most people can't tell the difference. If you're one of the latter categories that typically wouldn't consider yourself with the same target on your back as a cop, think again. Be cautious. Avoid being in your uniform if you don't need to be. Change at work, commute in street clothes. etc etc.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the LE subforum, since the intended audience is really for people who may resemble cops but aren't cops and typically don't take the same levels of precaution.

jnc36rcpd
11-30-2022, 11:29 AM
My former department issues and requires body armor for animal services and parking enforcement officers. Current campus employer recently mandated armor for uniform public safety officers. Surprisingly, most of the whining about that had died out and we haven't had many seek medical excuses not to wear armor.

RJ
11-30-2022, 11:58 AM
It's generally not my place to post in the LE forum, and I don't have anything to say really, other than this: Watching this made me very, very angry.

psalms144.1
11-30-2022, 02:08 PM
Fuck a fuckin' duck. WTaF is WRONG with the world?

PLEASE be careful if you wear any kind of uniform. For those of you who commute to work in uniform - you're on the clock, and on the "X" the minute you open the door of your residence until you close it behind you at end of your shift.

Totem Polar
11-30-2022, 04:02 PM
It's generally not my place to post in the LE forum, and I don't have anything to say really, other than this: Watching this made me very, very angry.

This

Wake27
11-30-2022, 07:59 PM
We almost never get targeted and I hate wearing my uniform. Something I appreciated about the culture in my last organization was maintaining lower visibility when possible. My new job has more of a recruiting focus and I’ve gotten talked to for not being in uniform enough. I don’t know how people can go around and conduct normal business like that, my boss drives 90 minutes twice a day in uniform and runs errands on the way.

I just don’t want the attention. This would be a whole other level of concern for anything resembling an LE uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TQP
11-30-2022, 09:22 PM
I have a friend who's now counting down the months until she retires from Fairfax County VA SO, and they've been discouraged from wearing uniforms commuting for at least a decade.

I don't wear anything fire service related off duty, do my best to look like the average suburban dad bod old guy when I'm out in public.

Cookie Monster
12-01-2022, 01:04 AM

I couldn’t rally up to watch it.

I work for the feds and my boss just approved $800 for uniform allowance. I purged all my shields and emblems and uniform stuff after Bundy and the Wildlife Refuge take over. I’ll take the hit from my leadership for not wearing the uniform when required then be a sponge for the rage of the public.

Le Français
12-01-2022, 08:24 AM
Tragic.

For those working in plainclothes, be aware of tells like emergency lights in your car and especially parking placards. That “XYZ Federal Law Enforcement” placard on the dash might save you a parking ticket, but it also signals to everyone walking by for however long you’re parked that a cop, likely alone, is coming back to that exact spot eventually. It fixes you predictably in a transitional space.

Kanye Wyoming
12-01-2022, 09:34 AM
Upgraded from critical to stable.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/police-release-photos-of-gunman-who-shot-ppa-worker-on-the-job/3438773/

titsonritz
12-01-2022, 02:24 PM
Upgraded from critical to stable.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/police-release-photos-of-gunman-who-shot-ppa-worker-on-the-job/3438773/

Wow, I can't believe he lived. Prayer out to the guy and his family. May the scumbag perp die a slow painful horrible death.

LittleLebowski
12-01-2022, 03:35 PM
For those not in the know, Philly is very, very bad right now and it’s all thanks to its DA, Larry Krasner whom literally campaigned on hating cops (a little hyperbole here, not a lot).

https://nypost.com/2022/11/17/philly-da-larry-krasner-impeached-by-pa-house-over-woke-policies/

mtnbkr
12-01-2022, 04:21 PM
For those not in the know, Philly is very, very bad right now and it’s all thanks to its DA, Larry Krasner whom literally campaigned on hating cops (a little hyperbole here, not a lot).

https://nypost.com/2022/11/17/philly-da-larry-krasner-impeached-by-pa-house-over-woke-policies/

A friend of mine, his wife, and his BIL+SIL recently took a long weekend trip to Philly and he came back talking about how bad it was, how brazen some of the criminals were (nothing they were directly involved in but witnessed), and how even the touristy areas were getting sketchy. I was last there in 2005 and it was nothing like that.

Chris

TGS
12-01-2022, 04:59 PM
A friend of mine, his wife, and his BIL+SIL recently took a long weekend trip to Philly and he came back talking about how bad it was, how brazen some of the criminals were (nothing they were directly involved in but witnessed), and how even the touristy areas were getting sketchy. I was last there in 2005 and it was nothing like that.

Chris

I saw a distinct change in Philly went they got rid of the move-along law, I want to say in 2015? 2016? I stopped visiting then, so I can only imagine how bad it is now.

Kanye Wyoming
12-01-2022, 06:12 PM

Krasner is pure evil. He was just reelected last year so the maniacs who voted for him knew what they were buying.

Per Mencken, good and hard.

titsonritz
12-01-2022, 07:37 PM
Krasner is pure evil. He was just reelected last year so the maniacs who voted for him knew what they were buying.

Per Mencken, good and hard.

May his policies end up on his door step.

Chuck Whitlock
12-02-2022, 06:16 PM
I'm curious if he was targeted for "looking like a cop", or because the perp or one of his peeps had a car ticketed/towed. Won't likely get an answer unless scumbag is caught and talks.

feudist
12-02-2022, 09:43 PM
I'm curious if he was targeted for "looking like a cop", or because the perp or one of his peeps had a car ticketed/towed. Won't likely get an answer unless scumbag is caught and talks.

Over at the Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy(Home of the Black Rifle) the sentiment is about 20% "I don't condone it but I understand it, wink wink", 20% on how "Parking Enforcement is Unconstitutional and the Founders would have been shooting before now" and 10% "Fuck the Police", 'cause reasons.
So, both?

DDTSGM
12-02-2022, 10:16 PM
I saw a distinct change in Philly went they got rid of the move-along law, I want to say in 2015? 2016? I stopped visiting then, so I can only imagine how bad it is now.

What was the move along law? (googled and couldn't find it)

TGS
12-02-2022, 10:24 PM
What was the move along law? (googled and couldn't find it)

You know, the standard "move along, now, no vagrancy here..." (said in sean connery cop voice) city code.

Homelessness, vagrancy, idling, I don't know what they called it. Used to keep the riff-raff out of the downtown and tourist areas, but now all the skells purposely hang out in those places which is not only gross but unsafe and drives away tourists, hurts business.

LittleLebowski
12-03-2022, 02:10 PM
Over at the Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy(Home of the Black Rifle) the sentiment is about 20% "I don't condone it but I understand it, wink wink", 20% on how "Parking Enforcement is Unconstitutional and the Founders would have been shooting before now" and 10% "Fuck the Police", 'cause reasons.
So, both?

It’s all so tiresome.

DDTSGM
12-03-2022, 11:18 PM
You know, the standard "move along, now, no vagrancy here..." (said in sean connery cop voice) city code.

Homelessness, vagrancy, idling, I don't know what they called it. Used to keep the riff-raff out of the downtown and tourist areas, but now all the skells purposely hang out in those places which is not only gross but unsafe and drives away tourists, hurts business.

Okay, that's what I figured. Just kind of confused, I thought that stuff went away in the early 80's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson#:~:text=Lawson%2C%20461%20U.S.% 20352%20(1983,%22credible%20and%20reliable%22%20id entification.

But then again, New York City couldn't seem to write a policy on pedestrian stops that didn't violate Terry v. Ohio.

willie
12-03-2022, 11:37 PM
I'm happy that I live in a city not having this hatred of police. Our department does have many vacancies, and I hear from the guys that few are applying. Fire and Police Depts both have sharp employees. Good leadership at the top fosters this. The City maintains standards and discipline, pays a fair wage, and strives to have a diverse group reflecting the community.

TGS
12-03-2022, 11:58 PM
Okay, that's what I figured. Just kind of confused, I thought that stuff went away in the early 80's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson#:~:text=Lawson%2C%20461%20U.S.% 20352%20(1983,%22credible%20and%20reliable%22%20id entification.

But then again, New York City couldn't seem to write a policy on pedestrian stops that didn't violate Terry v. Ohio.

Dan,

There's lots of ways to target bums harassing people that have nothing to do with the vagrancy laws from the case in the 80s and do not violate any constitutional protections.

Depending on the area, various statutes may exist for things like obstruction of sidewalk, aggressive panhandling (soliciting is protected, but coercion is not), disorderly conduct, encroachment, illegal "camping", etc.

The goal being to "move along" the bums in order to protect the safety of the people in the area, cleanliness of the zone, and viability of the local economy. Hence, anything being used to move them along being referred to as "move along laws".

The cities which have abandoned enforcement of such have had predictable results.

secondstoryguy
12-04-2022, 01:37 AM
With the justice system in post-covid turmoil, law enforcement not only understaffed but staffed with mid -life crisis millenial tourists who havent ever been punched in the face, the jails full, etc etc it's only going to get worse. Officers are also slowly realizing that proactive enforcement (you know, what cops used to do...going out and catching bad guys) is not wise given current police administrations and HR departments so few are doing anything but just documenting the crimes after they occur. When you do catch guys like this they are out the same day and it's a year or so before it goes to trial only to get plead down to a 3-5 year stint. In the town I work in violent crime is through the roof, car burglaries and car thefts happen many many times a day, and the criminal element has no regard for law enforcement as we cannot even chase bad guys for most offenses anymore (highly restrictive pursuit policy due to a hyperlitigious society). It's chaos and its only gonna get worse....

blues
12-04-2022, 09:00 AM
Oh, for the days of "broken windows"...

DDTSGM
12-04-2022, 11:46 PM
Dan,

There's lots of ways to target bums harassing people that have nothing to do with the vagrancy laws from the case in the 80s and do not violate any constitutional protections.

Depending on the area, various statutes may exist for things like obstruction of sidewalk, aggressive panhandling (soliciting is protected, but coercion is not), disorderly conduct, encroachment, illegal "camping", etc.

The goal being to "move along" the bums in order to protect the safety of the people in the area, cleanliness of the zone, and viability of the local economy. Hence, anything being used to move them along being referred to as "move along laws".

The cities which have abandoned enforcement of such have had predictable results.

Thanks for getting me on track - I was kind of running with my narrow beams on.

DMF13
12-04-2022, 11:59 PM
It matters not whether you're actually a full fledged cop, parking authority officer, jailer, fireman, EMT, etc.

If you're wearing a uniform...particularly one with some sort of badge....you are a target since most people can't tell the difference. If you're one of the latter categories that typically wouldn't consider yourself with the same target on your back as a cop, think again. Be cautious. Avoid being in your uniform if you don't need to be. Change at work, commute in street clothes. etc etc.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the LE subforum, since the intended audience is really for people who may resemble cops but aren't cops and typically don't take the same levels of precaution.
Sadly, this is not a new problem:
https://kdvr.com/news/local/man-found-guilty-of-murder-for-execution-style-killing-of-rtd-officer/
"Prosecutors maintained Cummings thought he was killing a police officer when he allegedly walked up behind Von Lanken and shot him in the head."

Hambo
12-05-2022, 05:27 AM
I was reading city job postings and almost all of them that require the employee to get off their ass and out of the building have take home cars. I don't know if it's seen as a perk or a curse, but I wouldn't want to park a Code Enforcement (property inspections) car in my driveway, let alone a marked police car.

Coyotesfan97
12-05-2022, 02:16 PM
I was reading city job postings and almost all of them that require the employee to get off their ass and out of the building have take home cars. I don't know if it's seen as a perk or a curse, but I wouldn't want to park a Code Enforcement (property inspections) car in my driveway, let alone a marked police car.

I drove a take home marked unit for 16 years in K9. The only time I parked it in the driveway was cleaning it which was a weekly remove dog hair ordeal. I was always armed. It got parked in the garage otherwise. My wife wanted the space but there wasn’t any way I was parking it outside. My old house was in a neighborhood with two ways in and out. It cut down on a lot of traffic in my area. My current house is in a county island on a cul de sac with very little traffic.

It’s a huge perk with a potential for a curse. I was very careful driving home. I watched cars. If anybody made a couple turns with me the old narc kicked in and I do a heat run to see what they did.