PDA

View Full Version : Straight & safety razor shaving

Pages : [1] 2 3

JDM
03-25-2011, 09:05 PM
How many of y'all use a straight razor? I've been a convert for about six months and I'm more then pleased with the results.

It started as a curiosity-I went to an old fashioned barber for the works, and really enjoyed it. I also got something completely unexpected- completely clear skin. I've had shitty acne since I was about fifteen and after trying everything under the sun, all it took was a change in shaving tools.

Although the initial investment is decent sized, I figured out it would pay for itself in replacement blades for the 5 bladed thing I used before in about 16 months.

It's also a much more satisfying experience, I genuinely look forward to shaving now. The learning curve for me was short, after about 6 shaves I wasn't cutting myself anymore, and have gotten quite handy with the blade.

Anyone else using the old cut throat?

http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6cd082a-49ce-4c16.jpg

John Ralston
03-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Do you have a F$%#^& death wish?!?!?! Just kidding of course.

I don't use a straight razor, but I do use my Dad's old Gillette Slim - probably going on 10 years now. I would never go back to an electric-EVER-and I can't imagine why anyone ever did.

JDM
03-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Do you have a F$%#^& death wish?!?!?! Just kidding of course.

I don't use a straight razor, but I do use my Dad's old Gillette Slim - probably going on 10 years now. I would never go back to an electric-EVER-and I can't imagine why anyone ever did.

Hahaha. I figure if I can jam a loaded handgun down the front of my pants at one of the largest arteries in my body, the large razor near the two in my neck is relatively mild.

Savage Hands
03-25-2011, 11:31 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/snh3c8.jpg

LOKNLOD
03-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Hahaha. I figure if I can jam a loaded handgun down the front of my pants at one of the largest arteries in my body, the large razor near the two in my neck is relatively mild.

Bet you're the kind of guy who carries scissors to go jogging too, eh? :p

My only experience with a straight razor is getting a haircut from an older barber who used one to shave the back of the neck, while my usual guy was out of town. It was all well and good except his hand shook like crazy. Seeing that shaky hand come at you with a blade was kind of freaky! As soon as he got close though he was steady as a rock though...

DrDave
03-26-2011, 12:21 AM
When I go to the barber, I always get a shave with a straight razor. Nothing shaves quite as close. I'm too bloody scared to try it myself.

My Philishave does a fair job but hey, you can't use a cut-throat razor while you're driving! :D

MDS
03-26-2011, 12:23 AM
One of my favorite pastimes! I've been shaving with a straight razor for 15 years. I fell in love with it just out of college. The objective reasoning is that you get better results: a smoother shave, less irritation, and much more control for those high concept sculptures-in-whisker. And while it can take longer to shave a day's stubble, it's a lot easier when chopping off a month's mane.

Still, the subjective reasons are much more important to me. I mean, there's something bad ass about shaving with something that can cut your friggin' head off. More importantly, though, it takes a mundane chore and turns it into a peaceful ritual that requires my full attention. It's like my morning meditation.

Also keep in mind that you really have to take care of the blade. Make sure you dry it well after each shave - I've ruined a couple of blades through laziness this way. Speaking of which, I got a new blade recently, and it's at the point where it needs a good honing.

Don't know if you've seen it, but there's a great overview of all the things to consider at http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/The-Straight-Razor-Shave.pdf

Enjoy your new Zen-compatible shaving ritual! :)

mnealtx
03-26-2011, 03:38 AM
I tried the straights, but I'm so strongly left-handed for that sort of thing that I couldn't get a clean shave all around. That, and *keeping* them shaving sharp - I *suck* at sharpening.

So, I do the brush-and-blade with a Slant Bar and either Personna Red or Feather blades.

JDM
03-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I've seen the PDF. Thanks Mario.

It really is Zen like.

ChuckSS
03-26-2011, 07:52 AM
I haven't tried a straight razor yet. I switched from cartridge to DE/Brush last year, and haven't looked back.

Shellback
03-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I've been using a Braun electric for 20 years with great success. I'm curious to know how often you go in between shaving using a straight razor? Still have to shave every day or can it go 2 or 3? I travel quite a bit and utilize a carry on so I don't think the TSA would like a straight razor going through security, if they'd even notice.

JDM
03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
I've been using a Braun electric for 20 years with great success. I'm curious to know how often you go in between shaving using a straight razor? Still have to shave every day or can it go 2 or 3? I travel quite a bit and utilize a carry on so I don't think the TSA would like a straight razor going through security, if they'd even notice.

I usually shave every three days although my facial hair Is far from heavy. Perhaps someone with more substantial bearding (?) will chime in on the frequency of shaving.

Jac
03-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Haven't got around to the cutthroat yet; been doing the wetshaving thing for a few years, though, with a Merkur HD.

mnealtx
03-27-2011, 07:15 AM

A lot of it depends on beard growth and how close the shave was. I can go about a day and a half with either a straight or a safety razor.

You're not going to get a straight *or* safety razor blades through security. You *can*, however, pick up half-way decent safety razor blades at Wallyworld or many drugstores.

SLG
03-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I've been researching wetshaving since reading this thread, and have decided to scrap my Mach3 in favor of a Merkur 38C. Even if it doesn't work as well (which I doubt), the idea appeals to me much more, and I figure that it won't be long before I go to a straight razor. Anyone have any experience with the 3 piece travel Merkur's, like the 985?

In case anyone else is thinking about it, I dealt with Leesrazors.com. Lee was very friendly and helpful, and had free shipping as well.

LOKNLOD
03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
What does one mean by "Wetshaving"?

Shellback
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
What does one mean by "Wetshaving"?

From badgerandblade.com

Wet shaving at its simplest, is just that – shaving with water, a razor blade, and some sort of lubricant (lather, soap, etc.) on your face. Men have shaved this way for centuries, starting early on with a sharp knife or stone, progressing to the straight razor, safety (double-edge) razors, and eventually cartridge razors from companies like Gillette, etc.

Versus "dry shaving" with an electric razor I believe.

SLG
03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I think Irish is correct, in which case I used the wrong term. I've been shaving with a blade for my whole life, but am now about to switch to a double edge, more classic style, rather than the disposable 3 and 4 blade monstrosities. If it really doesn't work for me, I guess I'll hang on to said monstrosities.

JDM
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I've been researching wetshaving since reading this thread, and have decided to scrap my Mach3 in favor of a Merkur 38C. Even if it doesn't work as well (which I doubt), the idea appeals to me much more, and I figure that it won't be long before I go to a straight razor. Anyone have any experience with the 3 piece travel Merkur's, like the 985?

In case anyone else is thinking about it, I dealt with Leesrazors.com. Lee was very friendly and helpful, and had free shipping as well.

I'm interested to hear your feedback from your dealings here. I've bought all my stuff from local retailers, but have been looking for a good online shop. Thanks.

JDM
03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Something I've found very VERY helpful in increasing the closeness of the shave-an exfoliating cleanser in the shower, or right before you shave. It pulls the whiskers off the face and really makes a difference.

I use the St. Ives apricot stuff.

LOKNLOD
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
From badgerandblade.com

Versus "dry shaving" with an electric razor I believe.

Thanks man.

And in that case, chalk me up as a huge proponent of "wetshaving". I have to shave in the shower, every night, and still make waaaay too many passes with a Mach 3 and edge gel. It's impossible for me to get a clean shave without the heat and water. Now I can get a much better shave if I wait an extra day, but I am noticeably needing a shave by then. I'm not really what anyone would call an excessively hairy guy, but my hair is very, very wiry (pale white guy with copper-red hair). Add a little B-12 chemtool to my hair and I could scrub down an engine bay no problemo.

mnealtx
03-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Warning: Wet shaving, and *especially* straight razor wet shaving, can be addictive and cost a lot of money!! You end up with several brushes, a few bowls/scuttles, a razor collection, several types of blades, etc... but man, you get great shaves.

I don't have any experience with the travel razors, but I've seen good reviews on them on various shaving sites.

I recommend getting a 'blade safe' (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/1240646/799291.htm) as well, unless you live in an old house with the blade slot in the medicine cabinet.

Mama Bear Soaps (http://mamabearssoaps.com/) are great, and she makes shave sticks that are fantastic for travel. I particularly like the Turkish Mocha (http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=18).

Mantic's (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2DB6D82F52BA7608) youtube videos are a good source of info on the nuts-n-bolts of wet shaving, as well.

hoodoo_operator
03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I've bought stuff from Lee's Razors. Lee is an awesome guy, his shop is my go to shaving store.

I use a double edge razor. A straight razor seems like it's just too much work to maintain. I like the double edge because it gives a much closer shave than my old mach 3, and the blades aren't such a rip off. I can buy a pack of 100 blades online for the cost of a 3 pack of mach 3 blades in a store.

If someone isn't sure about using an "old fashioned" razor, I would recommend at least trying out a decent shaving cream or soap that you lather up with a brush. The difference between a proper shaving cream and that canned foam is like night and day.

SLG
03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Are those soap sticks better than a small tube of cream? They still need a brush, right?

How do you guys like to carry your brush when you travel?

JDM
03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Are those soap sticks better than a small tube of cream? They still need a brush, right?

I use a soap puck in a mug.

When I travel my brush goes in an old toilet paper roll I cut off to cover just the bristles.

hoodoo_operator
03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I just toss it in my bag. It gets smooshed a little, but when it get's wet it pops back into shape.
I've never used the shave sticks, most of the soaps I've used have come in resealable tubs. You might be able to get away without a brush, but I'd rather not.

a really good place for shaving soaps is mama bear's
http://mamabearssoaps.com/
they're inexpensive, smell good, and make a lot of lather.

mnealtx
03-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Several manufacturers make travel brushes (http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/travel_shaving_items.aspx) that twist open/closed like a lens brush, and smaller 'normal' brushes can be carried in a pill bottle that has been drilled for ventilation.

Tubed creams work fine. I've seen good reviews for Tabac and Cremo cream, and I've used some of the Gentleman's Refinery (http://www.thegr.com/) products, and they make smaller sizes that are "TSA ok". Their aftershave balm is VERY good stuff.

Here's a couple tutorials about getting good lather with soaps (http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=439) or creams (http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9). As the man says in the tutorial, you want good, thick lather almost like a meringue.

SLG
03-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the good info.

What do you do about a bowl to lather your soap or cream while on the road?

Shellback
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
What do you do about a bowl to lather your soap or cream while on the road?

Hotel coffee cup :cool:

JodyH
03-27-2011, 04:25 PM
I look like I lost a fight with a weedeater after shaving with a modern safety razor.
There's no way in hell I trust myself with a straight razor.

John Ralston
03-27-2011, 08:24 PM

I would definitely see if you can pick one up and hold it...some of the Merkurs are HUGE! Also, some of them have a funky way to change out the blades. I would also make sure you get an adjustable, since all skin isn't created equal, and some people prefer a milder cut.

The blade is probably just as important as the razor BTW.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SLG
03-27-2011, 09:22 PM
John,

Now you tell me! I got the 38C, which is the slightly longer, heavier version of the 34C.

I understand about the blades, and at Lee's suggestion, I got a four pack of progressively finer blades to try out.

mnealtx
03-28-2011, 03:07 AM
I use a regular Gillette twin bade razor to shave with, but I have several antique safety razors lying around. I may just have to try using one of them some time based on the reviews you guys are giving them. Any special tips or things to avoid there, or is it like using a more modern disposable blade?

First and foremost, get decent blades - I like Derby or Personna blades. A lot of people also get an alum block for sealing the skin immediately after shaving - just wet the block and glide it over your face. It'll let you know if you overdid it on the pressure. :p

Maintain about a 30 degree angle to the surface being shaved - there's no pivot on a DE razor, so you have to maneuver around the jawline and such. Let the weight of the razor do the work, don't press into the skin. Don't try to get a perfect shave in one pass - it's better to take two or more passes without pressure on the razor than it is to use a bunch of pressure on one pass. Use a good conditioning aftershave like the one from the Gentleman's Refinery, above.

mnealtx
03-28-2011, 03:12 AM
For those wanting an 'all in one' solution, Lee's Razors has a pretty good starter kit (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Ultimate-Beginner's-Double-Edge-Setup.html).

Both the razors listed are fine for new shavers, Trumper and Harris both make fine soaps/creams, and the blades listed are fine, too - I've used and recommend both Derby and Personna, no experience with Bic blades.

ford.304
03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Anyone have experience shaving their head with the old style of razor? I have to shave it every morning in the shower to keep a decent appearance. How hard is it to use a straight razor when you can't see quite as well?

Jac
03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
If you don't have a mug, I've found it easy enough, after loading the brush up with soap and water, to build a good lather in my left hand, or even straight on my face.

I like Feather Platinum blades; I have to be careful during the first shave with a new one (they're crazy sharp), but they're worth it. And with summer coming up, I can't recommend Proraso cream highly enough. It's got menthol and eucalyptus, so it's nice and cooling when it's hot out. (and it also happens to be really easy to lather w/out a bowl)

TCz
03-28-2011, 04:13 PM
I too use a DE razor regularly, and a straight razor on occasion. I find that the DE gives you most- if not all- of the advantages of wet shaving, and is more convenient and easy to learn that the the straight razor. It's not so much the risk of cutting yourself with the straight as it is the much more involved maintenance you must do on one. With a DE you just stick in a new blade, no honing or stropping required. Also, blades are cheap, much cheaper than cartridge style razors.

I use a Parker DE razor, and I'm currently using Derby blades and the cheap Williams soap. Not top-notch equipment by any means, but it works well. Beats the hell out of cartridge razors, that's for sure.

Oh, and I use a boar-bristle brush, and an old cup I used to use for camping for a mug.

KentF
03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I shaved with a straight edge in the early 1980 until I lost my razor during a move. I then went back to the crappy disposable razors. A few years ago, I began shaving with a Merkur Dual Edge (DE) like this one.

Last week a friend loaned me this Merkur "Classic 1904" Open comb for me to try, but it is a little aggressive for my face. I do like the weight of the razor and may buy a closed comb version.

I have also had very good success with twin blade cartridges using a Merkur handle. The added weight really improves the shave.

I haven't had much luck with shaving soaps or creams as they tend to dry out my face. I will second the recommendation on the Proraso however. Most week days, when I'm short on time, I'll use Barbersol in a can.

SLG
04-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the good info here. I've been shaving with a Merkur DE for the past month, and it is a million times better than my mach 3 nonsense. I'm still experimenting with creams and soaps, but the whole brush/lather thing is really nice. I actually look forward to shaving now. Weird.

I'm resisting going to a straight razor for now, since I just bought the Merkur and still have a bunch of blades. Also, I don't want to rush in and buy the wrong straight. However, I do really want to use a straight razor. Any one have a good recommendation for how to choose the right width and shape for a beginner?

Does anyone have any experience with the Dovo replaceable blade straight?
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/286100.htm

John Ralston
04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Now that you like the DE - make sure you watch one of the many Youtube vids on making good lather. I shaved for many years by just swishing the brush around in the mug and getting some soap bubbles on my face.

Now that I have learned to build a very dense lather, my shaving is even better.

I guess this assumes you aren't using Barbasol...GASP!

BTW - the real test of a good shave is what your wife thinks of it...

SLG
04-24-2011, 03:10 PM
My wife likes my beard, but after feeling my most recent shave, I think she's sold. Almost as smooth as our daughter' cheek. Not a trace of roughness, and she thought I looked younger too! 10 hours later, it was about as good as my mach 3 used to do.

I have been practicing my lathering, just like my press outs, and though I'm sure I still have tons to learn, I'm able to get cake quality topping on demand. Very thick, creamy lather, feels great. That Mug soap is pretty good. $1 a bar, and looks like it will last for years!
How come everyone on here only wants to talk guns, I want to hear more about straight razor shaving!

John Ralston
04-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Probably because it hurts less to shoot yourself than it does to cut yourself with a straight razor while shaving...

MDS
04-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Probably because it hurts less to shoot yourself than it does to cut yourself with a straight razor while shaving...

Maybe while shaving, but. I used to think the AIWB guys were nuts (pun intended.) Then I saw how SN carries his clinch pick. I may one day get confident enough to AIWB with a Glock and The Gadget, but there is something deep and primal in me that shuts down thinking about sharp stuff near my belt buckle...

Back on topic: I'm glad to see you come to the Other Side, SLG. I think once you decide to invest the time to get confident with a straight razor, you'll wonder why you ever took the half-measure of DE. To be fair, you get 80% of the benefit with a DE, and the convenience-to-results ratio is where some folks like it. For me, though, the simplicity of the cutting tool, the fact that the effectiveness is more dependent on your own skill, and even the care and maintenance of the delicate blade, make straight-razor shaving much more satisfying for me.

I've been shaved a couple of times by barbers with the straight-edge disposable blades. The results seemed fine, though the barber wished he could use a "real" blade. The health department wouldn't let him. (I think I side with health dept on this one...) For my own use, I prefer the heft of good steel, and like I said, caring for a delicate blade is a pleasant part of the ritual for me. I have only ever used basic Dovo blades with plastic scales.

SLG
04-24-2011, 10:15 PM
MDS,

I assume your pretty happy with the "plain" Dovo then? What width, grind and point do you like? I'm leaning towards 6/8's full grind round point, but not because I know anything about it.

MDS
04-24-2011, 11:01 PM
MDS,

I assume your pretty happy with the "plain" Dovo then? What width, grind and point do you like? I'm leaning towards 6/8's full grind round point, but not because I know anything about it.

Very happy, though I've managed to let a little rust in and may be looking for a new blade at some point. OTOH, this thread pointed me at a couple of other forums, and I'm learning a lot - I had no idea there was such a subculture around this - and I may have to send my blade to someone for fixing, rather than getting a new one. Or in addition to getting a new one... ;-)

Anyway, my experience with blades is that, much like guns, once you get a quality blade, 99% of the performance comes from the operator. Mine is a 5/8 full grind round point. I often sport a goatee or a "soul patch" or whatever else strikes my fancy, and the round point has never felt like much of a problem in terms of precision.

SLG
05-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Still obsessed with wet shaving, and have now switched to a cut throat. So far, so good.

DE shaving seems to be the most bang for the buck, but handling a finely made blade well (well enough to do the job, I'm certainly no expert) is very satisfying.

Even if you like your Mach 5 thingy, I highly recommend switching to a brush and shave soap. Best shaves of my life.

John Ralston
05-27-2011, 01:46 PM
What blade did you go with?

When you need a new strop le me know ;)

SLG
05-27-2011, 08:32 PM
When you need a new strop le me know ;)

Now you tell me! I'm set with stops, but I do need to pick your brain on them for a bit.

I went with the entry level Dovo, with black plastic scales and a 5/8 round point. I really like the look of the Boker and T-I ones as well, but I got a pretty good deal on the Dovo. I think that a 6/8, or even a 7/8 may be better for how I like to shave, but I really can't say for sure just yet. It would be nice to have a store to handle a few.

John Ralston
05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I am sure there are hundreds of stores within a 250 mile drive of your place where you could fondle some steel :eek:

MDS
05-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Still obsessed with wet shaving, and have now switched to a cut throat. So far, so good.

Welcome to the Dark Side! How is your shave with the straight, compared to DE?

When you need a new strop le me know

Dude! My strop has a deep gash that I put in it a few years ago. It's near the edge, so I've just been avoiding it all these years as I strop my blade. I might include an order for one, along with a holster, in the not too distant future... =)

SLG
05-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side! How is your shave with the straight, compared to DE?

Not as good as the DE yet.

The DE is really a masterpiece of razor design. Very little skill is needed to get amazing shaves, along with very low cost and even lower maintenance.

The straight is clearly the uber enthusiasts choice. I'm going to give it a bit of time, and then make my mind up which way I'll go for my day to day needs. Some aspects of straight razor shaving are very satisfying, and better than the DE. Other aspects...not so much. Yet. My chin is one of those, along with the far outside of the jaw/sideburn area.

mnealtx
05-31-2011, 05:03 AM
Now you tell me! I'm set with stops, but I do need to pick your brain on them for a bit.

I went with the entry level Dovo, with black plastic scales and a 5/8 round point. I really like the look of the Boker and T-I ones as well, but I got a pretty good deal on the Dovo. I think that a 6/8, or even a 7/8 may be better for how I like to shave, but I really can't say for sure just yet. It would be nice to have a store to handle a few.

Investigate different grinds, too - a full hollow shaves much differently than a half or quarter hollow. I had a 6/8 quarter hollow Hart razor (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/7149828/8630654.htm) that had a great feel (at least to me), before I dropped it and knocked a huge chip out of it.

TAP
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking about asking for a DE set for Father's Day. How much longer does it take to shave with a DE compared to a cartridge razor? My main issue is time in the morning...I don't have enough with two little one's running around.

John Ralston
05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
NONE - you can use plain old shaving cream in a can and have at it. Rinse the blade on occassion just like your Bic and shave as normal.

Jac
05-31-2011, 09:00 PM
It's nice to go slow and have a nice luxurious shave, you can definitely do a DE shave pretty fast... especially if you just do one pass (which will probably be better than multiple passes with a multi-blade disposable).

JFK
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Does anyone make a AIWB for those things?

LittleLebowski
06-01-2011, 01:45 PM
It's nice to go slow and have a nice luxurious shave, you can definitely do a DE shave pretty fast... especially if you just do one pass (which will probably be better than multiple passes with a multi-blade disposable).

So, I could speed through it sans mirror?

John Ralston
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Yeah...I don't find it any different than a safety razor. Once you have the razor adjusted the way you like it, you should be good to go.

I am not careful, and I have only been nicked once in 15 years, and that was about a month ago.

John Ralston
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Does anyone make a AIWB for those things?

I assume you are talking about the straight razor - and the answer is yes.

I have an open bottom AIWB for them - I call it the Eunuch. :cool:

Jac
06-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Oh, sure... using one isn't terribly different from a contemporary disposable; it's mainly angle and pressure you have to worry about (remember that a DE blade will be have much more shearing action going on, so don't push on it and keep it as perpendicular to your skin as possible). Having your face nice and wet is definitely helpful, but even that's not life-and-death.

Remember, almost everyone (men and women alike) was using the things up until the 60s or 70s when disposables and cartridge razors were introduced; I imagine most of them would've had little time for wet-shaving geekery. In the end, it's just a razor. A better razor, in my opinion, than multi-blades and disposables (from what I've seen, it really does have a measurable effect on skin health, ingrown hairs, etc.), but that's the only reason I use one... Not because I'm going to spend an hour looking for the perfect shave every day.

LittleLebowski
06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
So, the Mug soap and a brush would be a good compliment to the DE razor?

JDM
06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
So, the Mug soap and a brush would be a good compliment to the DE razor?

To ANY razor.

LittleLebowski
06-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm looking at spending around $50 or so on a safety DE razor. Do I want an "open comb?"

Shellback
06-03-2011, 03:00 PM
One thing I'd like to add is find an old school barber or one of the new men's grooming spots and go get a straight razor shave. Super smooth, relaxing and a great way to pamper one's self for an hour.

John - If you're looking for a good spot up by you go to Weldon Barber @ 9119 E Broadway Ave Ste E Spokane Valley, WA 99206. I went there when I was in town a few weeks ago and Abbie did a fantastic job! Haircut (buzz cut) and a straight razor shave where she really took her time using different hot towels, moisturizers, creams, etc and topped it off with a neck and face massage for only $30. Highly recommend seeing her if you're in the area!

TAP
06-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Just pulled the trigger on EJ DE89L, some derby blades, a basic badger brush and some poraso cream.

I should have it sometime next week.

mnealtx
06-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm looking at spending around $50 or so on a safety DE razor. Do I want an "open comb?"

In your shoes, I'd get something like a Merkur HD with the bar. Get used to shaving with that, then try a slant bar once you have your technique squared away.

mnealtx
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Just pulled the trigger on EJ DE89L, some derby blades, a basic badger brush and some poraso cream.

I should have it sometime next week.

Congrats - Lee's razors has a DE blade multipack (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/DE-Blade-Multipack.html) so you can try out the various main makers at a discount.

Jac
06-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I don't know much about open combs... My Mekur HD has been great, though. I'd probably go with a closed bar first.

jslaker
06-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I would never go back to an electric-EVER-and I can't imagine why anyone ever did.

I'm late to the party, but people like me. ;)

I hate shaving. It's a nuisance and I look like I'm about 12 when I'm clean-shaven. I trim up the beard with an electric trimmer with a guard about once a week, but that's as much as I'm willing to put into it.

You people with your death blades all over your faces are beyond me. :p

MDS
06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I hate shaving. It's a nuisance and I look like I'm about 12 when I'm clean-shaven.

Me, too! The straight razor can take a mundane chore and turn it into a zen-like ritual. The added time it takes is mostly preparing the soap. A couple of minutes to keep my face from feeling like I ran a weed-eater over it? I don't think it costs any man-cred to say that's worthwhile.

I typically shave a couple or three times a month, and a nice sharp straight razor makes quick, easy work of however much beard there is to remove. My biggest shaving-related problem is what to do with the big pile of hair. (I usually pick it up with some toilet paper and throw them in the trash, to keep from clogging the sink.)

Finally, I typically keep some face-fuzz, if only a soul patch or whatever, to keep from getting carded when I so much as buy a soda. There is nothing in my experience that is anywhere near as precise for shaping goatees and etc. as a straight razor. Removing a single hair - or even shortening a single hair to bring it in line - is trivial.

LittleLebowski
06-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Took the plunge today on Merkur DE, a brush, and some sandalwood soap. If this doesn't work out, I blame SLG.....

JDM
06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Took the plunge today on Merkur DE, a brush, and some sandalwood soap. If this doesn't work out, I blame SLG.....

A fine decision.

John Ralston
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Cool...I really like my DE, but I'm not sure I am ready to dive into the throat slicer like SLG though.

SLG
06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
LL,

I don't think you'll be disappointed, but there is a slight learning curve to it, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't go great right away. Since our fathers didn't teach us this, you MUST, watch the various videos from Mantic59 on youtube. VERY well done.

It took me about 2 weeks to get the closest, smoothest, most irritation free shaves of my life. BUT, since everyone's face is different, who knows how long it will take you. What specific stuff did you buy? Almost all of it out there seems to be pretty good, but some stuff is easier to use than others.

ChuckSS
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I got into DE shaving about a year ago. At the time I just thought it would be cool to shave like my grandfather did. Little did I know that I would be soon getting the best shaves of my life at the fraction of the cost of cartridge razors.

I use a cheap gillette DE I bought off a guy at badger and blade, a best badger brush by edwin jagger, personna red blades, palm olive shave stick, and witch hazel for aftershave. The shave stick is super awesome and super cheap too, I love it.

I want to try a straight razor, but I really don't want to spend the money on a new straight and find out i dont like it. Been thinking of trying out one of the refurbed razors www.whippeddog.com has, but i don't know.

mnealtx
06-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Pro-tip: DON'T try to shave like you did with a Mach 3. Let the weight of the razor provide the pressure against your skin.

LittleLebowski
06-07-2011, 05:24 AM
I just watched mantic59's videos on building a lather and the 10 minute shave while feeding my kid. Excellent.

Ordered Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap, a boar hair brush, and a Merkur HD DE #34C razor. Actually looking forward to this.

agent-smith
06-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Ordered Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap, a boar hair brush, and a Merkur HD DE #34C razor. Actually looking forward to this.

Now all that you need is the ability to actually grow some facial hair...

SLG
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I just watched mantic59's videos on building a lather and the 10 minute shave while feeding my kid. Excellent.

Cool, it is something I actually look forward to now, and set aside enough time to do it right.

I've haven't tried a boar brush yet, but the one thing that isn't stressed online is how effective, fast and easy it is to build lather right on your face. I load the brush for about 10 secs using the upside trick, and then lather onto my face. It doesn't take long at all, and it builds enough lather for 3 or4 passes. It also does a great job of using the brush for what it is meant to do, which is prepare your beard correctly, rather than just spread lather around.

Shaving101.com. And. Thesuperiorshave.com. Have lots of good articles as well.

Let us know how it goes!

Shaving101.com has lots of good articles, as does Thesuperiorshave.com

ChuckSS
06-07-2011, 09:11 AM
SLG,

Thats exactly why I like the shaving sticks. I just put my brush in some hot water when I get in the shower and when I'm done my face is already wet, so I just rub the shave stick on my beard and then create the lather on my face. Shave sticks are also great to travel with too.

mnealtx
06-07-2011, 03:36 PM
SLG,

Thats exactly why I like the shaving sticks. I just put my brush in some hot water when I get in the shower and when I'm done my face is already wet, so I just rub the shave stick on my beard and then create the lather on my face. Shave sticks are also great to travel with too.

Agreed - I'm a big fan of Mama Bear's Turkish Mocha (http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=18&zenid=6978a24c6903e60a4fac7ee1deb07263) shave sticks, but her regular soaps (http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=6978a24c6903e60a4fac7ee1deb07263) are great as well.

LittleLebowski
06-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Still checking tracking info obsessively for my Merkur, damnit! Got my boar brush and soap and just had to build lather and shave. I need a better mug or I might try the upside down method.

SLG
06-09-2011, 11:34 PM
That's good, it takes a little practice to get it right. No matter what razor you end up with, a brush and soap is better than a can.

How did the boar brush work?

TAP
06-10-2011, 05:33 AM
I got my DE stuff in the mail yesterday. This morning was my first shave. Fantastic results. Very smooth, no irritation, and only two small nicks. I think I am going to like DE shaving.

LittleLebowski
06-10-2011, 06:21 AM
That's good, it takes a little practice to get it right. No matter what razor you end up with, a brush and soap is better than a can.

How did the boar brush work?

Pretty good....I think. It does have a lot of lather built in. The soap beats the shit out of whateverGelInACan. Cheaper too. I think I'm going to go old fashioned/old school on all of my soap and aftershave/cologne.

SLG
06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Nice!

I really like the results of the brush and soap. Also, I have to admit, the "old time feeling" it gives me, of a time when explorers were still mapping out Africa, and the sun wasn't setting on the British empire, is pretty cool. I guess that's what I get for having been a history major.

LittleLebowski
06-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Nice!

I really like the results of the brush and soap. Also, I have to admit, the "old time feeling" it gives me, of a time when explorers were still mapping out Africa, and the sun wasn't setting on the British empire, is pretty cool. I guess that's what I get for having been a history major.

If we ever link up out West, I'll show you the original family homestead from 1890 that my family still owns.

Shellback
06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm making a Father's Day wish list type of thing on what I'd like and I'm trying to narrow down some of the myriad of options out there. From what I've been reading the Merkur 34C is "the standard" or classic for which others are measured in terms of design, quality, ease of use, etc. What are people's experiences with this particular razor? Any other recommendations for other particular models or brands for a beginner?

Also, in terms of blades does anyone have a particular preference? The Feather blades seem to have a good reputation. I'm still trying to narrow down the choices on a brush but it sounds like badger is definitely the way to go. And the Mama Bear soaps look to be a good option as well.

I had absolutely no idea how much of a subculture surrounds shaving but there's a ton of information to sift through and my time is rather limited.

The Muhle R89 looks very nice as well and is the equivalent of the Merkur but a slightly more refined presentation. I think I might go this route to have a little bit nicer aesthetic out on the vanity so the wife will appreciate it as well. http://thesuperiorshave.com/Muhle_Safety_Razors/Muhle_R89_Safety_Razor.html

TAP
06-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm making a Father's Day wish list type of thing on what I'd like and I'm trying to narrow down some of the myriad of options out there. From what I've been reading the Merkur 34C is "the standard" or classic for which others are measured in terms of design, quality, ease of use, etc. What are people's experiences with this particular razor? Any other recommendations for other particular models or brands for a beginner?

Also, in terms of blades does anyone have a particular preference? The Feather blades seem to have a good reputation. I'm still trying to narrow down the choices on a brush but it sounds like badger is definitely the way to go. And the Mama Bear soaps look to be a good option as well.

I had absolutely no idea how much of a subculture surrounds shaving but there's a ton of information to sift through and my time is rather limited.

The Muhle R89 looks very nice as well and is the equivalent of the Merkur but a slightly more refined presentation. http://thesuperiorshave.com/Muhle_Safety_Razors/Muhle_R89_Safety_Razor.html

I found this helpful for the razor: http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/product-reviews/safety-razors/226-side-by-side-merkur-34c-hd-and-edwin-jagger-de89l.html

I am very happy with the quality of the EJ DE89L and the price was about $12 cheaper on amazon. It also comes with 5 derby blades.

I went with a $33 parker badge brush on amazon. The hair is soft but not too soft and it is a good size brush. I'm sure the $100 brushes are much better but I didn't want to jump in for that amount and can always upgrade later.

From what I have read, feather are some of the sharpest blades so they may not be the best for the beginner. I will probably buy a sample pack to try out several different blades.

From what I can tell, most people who stick with DE shaving end up with multiple razors and multiple brushes.

LittleLebowski
06-10-2011, 03:13 PM
IRISH, I've been doing a ton of research but I am not speaking from firsthand experience on most of this so keep that in mind.

The razor you're looking at looks exactly like my just delivered Merkur 34C for almost twice as much.

The Feather blades are universally acclaimed as being the sharpest with many folk talking about them "lopping off pimples" so I'd stick with whatever ships with the razor you end up buying.

I'll probably end up picking up a badger brush if I get this whole thing down.

mnealtx
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM

The Muhle R89 looks very nice as well and is the equivalent of the Merkur but a slightly more refined presentation. I think I might go this route to have a little bit nicer aesthetic out on the vanity so the wife will appreciate it as well. http://thesuperiorshave.com/Muhle_Safety_Razors/Muhle_R89_Safety_Razor.html

I'd recommend the razor blade starter pack that I linked to upthread.

Feathers are *great* blades, but they're not something you want to start out with - you really need to have your technique down pat with them. Derby and Personna Red blades are good for all experience levels.

LittleLebowski
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Congrats - Lee's razors has a DE blade multipack (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/DE-Blade-Multipack.html) so you can try out the various main makers at a discount.

Appreciate your input, will probably pick up.

Shellback
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, greatly appreciated.

mnealtx
06-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Appreciate your input, will probably pick up.

You're quite welcome - gives you a 'try before you buy' option, at any rate.

Lee's also has a good selection of brushes, and even a selection of brushes that they recommend for beginners - I bought a Vulfix 405B through them and like it very much.

Edit to add: You may wish to pick up a blade bank (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/4477159.htm) as well, to safely dispose of used blades.

LittleLebowski
06-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Just did my first shave with my Merkur 34c. Nicked a bump from my last gillette shave but thats it and I did three passes.

First impression was damn, I can HEAR this thing cutting but I can't feel it. Very different animal. I got a closer shave from this razor going with the grain than going against the grain with the latest plastic gillette monstrosity.

Now I need a blade bank, maybe some Porraso, and some bay rum because this is the way for me.

I'm actually looking at old razors that folks are refurbishing and selling.... I could totally buy a safety razor from the 50's.

The Merkur Futur is sexy.....

http://www.thedifferentscent.de/images/dovo-merkur-futur-blank.jpg

mnealtx
06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Check the local Wally World and/or Target, they sometimes have Proraso.

And...welcome to the club!

SLG
06-11-2011, 10:29 AM
LL,

That's awesome! I guess I won't have to buy your stuff off of you now?

The shaves only get better from here.

LittleLebowski
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
LL,

That's awesome! I guess I won't have to buy your stuff off of you now?

The shaves only get better from here.

I can't believe that I'm actually looking forward to shaves now!

I wonder if we can scoop up stuff on the cheap. I've caught myself perusing antique razors from the 40s and 50s like this (http://razoremporium.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_12&products_id=814).

SLG
06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
I just acquired a Gillette slim adjustable from ebay. It is in like new condition, and was $20 shipped. John Ralston recommended it to me, and I wanted to try an adjustable. Very happy with it.

Does anyone use Trumpers skin food? If so, how? As an aftershave? Moisturizer, or what? In conjunction with anything else? I'm trying to dial in my post shave stuff, and am a little unsure how things work together here. I rinse my face in cool water, then run an alum block over it. After that, things are a little up in the air.

LittleLebowski
06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Let's see the Gillette!

I'm looking at Gillette Aristocrats....

mnealtx
06-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I just acquired a Gillette slim adjustable from ebay. It is in like new condition, and was $20 shipped. John Ralston recommended it to me, and I wanted to try an adjustable. Very happy with it.

Does anyone use Trumpers skin food? If so, how? As an aftershave? Moisturizer, or what? In conjunction with anything else? I'm trying to dial in my post shave stuff, and am a little unsure how things work together here. I rinse my face in cool water, then run an alum block over it. After that, things are a little up in the air.

I don't have any experience with the Trumpers skin food, but it seems to be pretty popular over at Badger and Blade.

The Gentlemens Refinery (http://www.thegr.com/index.cfm?event=ProductDetails&CategoryID=81&ProductID=43) "Standard" aftershave balm is very nice - I'd recommend it.

Charles Roberts' Hydrolast (http://enchanteonline.com/pages/shaveculture/hydrolast/hydrolast.htm) Aftershave conditioner is very nice, as well - I have and use the peppermint. (Conditioners are toward the bottom of the page).

Neither is cheap, both work very well and last a surprisingly long time. Just like Brylcreem, "A little dab will do ya".

And for LittleLebowski, since you mentioned bay rum..... link (http://www.ogallalabayrum.com/), and another link (http://www.clubmanonline.com/clviisbayru1.html).

TAP
06-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I've made 3 DE shaves so far and they have been the 3 closest shaves of my life. I still need to practice my neck area and perfect my lather. I typically make 3 reduction passes (down, up, and across) and it takes me about 10 minutes from start to finish including lather, rinse and post shave. My first pass is even better than a single pass with the Mach 3.

Overall, I'm very happy I took the plunge into the DE world.

John Ralston
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Let's see the Gillette!

I'm looking at Gillette Aristocrats....

My uncle has one that he has had since he was in Nam. Looks like a slim with gold plating.

I have (and use) a slim that was my dad's...no idea when it was made, but I would guess early 60's.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2011, 02:39 PM
This thread is costing me.....:D

SLG
06-15-2011, 10:37 PM
The Gentlemens Refinery (http://www.thegr.com/index.cfm?event=ProductDetails&CategoryID=81&ProductID=43) "Standard" aftershave balm is very nice - I'd recommend it.

Charles Roberts' Hydrolast (http://enchanteonline.com/pages/shaveculture/hydrolast/hydrolast.htm) Aftershave conditioner is very nice, as well - I have and use the peppermint. (Conditioners are toward the bottom of the page).

Neither is cheap, both work very well and last a surprisingly long time. Just like Brylcreem, "A little dab will do ya".

And for LittleLebowski, since you mentioned bay rum..... link (http://www.ogallalabayrum.com/), and another link (http://www.clubmanonline.com/clviisbayru1.html).

Do you find that those products moisturize very well, or are they more of a skin tightener?

mnealtx
06-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Do you find that those products moisturize very well, or are they more of a skin tightener?

The two that I listed are moisturizing, especially the Refinery balm. They're both pretty light and don't leave much residue. I'm out of both now, so I probably need to re-order one or the other...or try something new.

I have very oily skin, so I tend to use an alum block and that's about it. That said, I probably need to moisturize more than I do now, but I tend to only use the products when I've overdone the shave and have some razor burn.

SLG
06-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Gotcha, thanks. I have dry skin, so I need to moisturize after every shave. The skin Food just doesn't cut it for me, and it sounds like the GR stuff might be too light as well. You'd probably like the Skin Food. If you email Trumper's, they'll send you a free sample of whatever scents you want. A little of it also goes a long way.

mnealtx
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Gotcha, thanks. I have dry skin, so I need to moisturize after every shave. The skin Food just doesn't cut it for me, and it sounds like the GR stuff might be too light as well. You'd probably like the Skin Food. If you email Trumper's, they'll send you a free sample of whatever scents you want. A little of it also goes a long way.

The skin food is pretty much just scented glycerin, isn't it?

GR has a sampler pack (http://www.thegr.com/index.cfm?event=ProductDetails&CategoryID=88&ProductID=85) as well, if you want to try their stuff.

Shellback
06-22-2011, 02:54 AM
I know it's slightly off topic but this is absolutely ridiculous (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43482990/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/).

LittleLebowski
06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm having a hard time getting my upper lip and hollows of my neck along the jawline in 2 or 3 passes with a Derby blade and Merkur 34c. What's the assessment on the Gillette Slims for hard to reach places?

Got some Proraso in the tube last week and couldn't be happier. Amazingly thick and smooth, the tube looks like it will last well over a year.

TAP
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm having a hard time getting my upper lip and hollows of my neck along the jawline in 2 or 3 passes with a Derby blade and Merkur 34c. What's the assessment on the Gillette Slims for hard to reach places?

Got some Proraso in the tube last week and couldn't be happier. Amazingly thick and smooth, the tube looks like it will last well over a year.

Check this out for under the nose: http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/33/3MotWsyqmus

Check out mantic59's other videos too. He has one where he goes over the jaw and neck but I wasn't able to find it quickly.

The biggest difference I have seen so far is after I started mapping my hair growth direction. I was able to get a better 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) once I figured out the direction of my neck and jaw areas.

I purchased a mint 1967 slim for $22 from ebay a week ago. I've used it about 4 times and I like it more and more each time. The adjustables take a little getting used to but they are nice when you get them dialed in.

As SLG and mnealtx mentioned, most manufacturer's will send you free samples of products if you email and ask. I have several on the way to try out before I commit to a purchase.

The alum block is nice too. It really tightens up your pores after using it.

MDS
06-22-2011, 02:19 PM
The biggest difference I have seen so far is after I started mapping my hair growth direction. I was able to get a better 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) once I figured out the direction of my neck and jaw areas.

So true! With a straight, half the control comes from handling the razor - but the other half comes from having an intimate knowledge of your face and hair. Hair growth direction is obviously important, but so is understanding which parts of your face have the "stubborn" stubble, which parts of your face has more rough-textured skin which can catch a very sharp blade if you're not holding it perfectly, etc.

Kind of like a sight picture for speed vs accuracy, and how you get a sense for seeing what you need to see. With shaving you get a sense for what you can get away with in terms of "imperfect" position/angle/pressure, depending on what part of your face you're working on, and what kind of shave you're going for.

mnealtx
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Proraso is nice - try getting some of the hard soap to go with it and do a 'superlather' - load up the brush with the hard soap, then open the middle of the brush and put a dollop of cream in there and build your lather as usual. Link (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/150739-Tutorial-How-to-make-SuperLather-with-a-bowl)

Mitchell's Wool Fat soap is good, as well - lots of cushion and the lanolin is great for your skin, but doesn't smell as nice.

For the very top of the lip under the nose where the razor doesn't want to fit, I do a light sideways stroke from the outside in.

The hollows of the neck is a problem area for me, too. Here's what helps me:

Map your hair growth - it's a lot more comfortable to make the initial passes with or with/across the grain. Save the against the grain for the final touchups, unless you have skin like iron.

LIGHTLY stretch the skin against the grain of the hair growth - maybe 1/2" or so. This lifts the shafts away from the skin which helps get a closer shave and less 'cleanup' passes. Try not to stretch the skin *too* tight, that can either pull the follicles deeper into the skin or tilt them so that you can then cut yourself (you'll feel the blade skip across them with the concurrent "ouch ouch ouch" and blood spots). :p
Example: on most of my neck, the grain is across from left to right. I gently stretch the skin to the left to lift the hair, then do my passes.

Lift your chin as much as you need to in order to see, but like above, too much can work against you by stretching the skin too tightly.

Diagonal strokes with/across the grain can do a lot of reduction (in my example, that would be a 10-4 stroke, razor head perpendicular to the stroke).

Hold a swallow - it's a bit hard to explain, but you *start* to swallow and then hold your breath. The adam's apple stays *down* and you can get those fiddly bits in the area a lot easier.

Sorry for the long entry - hope it helps, though.

TAP
06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I had my first DE shave with a feather blade this morning. It was much smoother than the derby blades I've been using. I got an awesome shave from it using a sample of castle forbes lime shaving cream. No nicks or irritation. I'm sure some of this is also related to my improvement in technique.

John Ralston
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I had my first DE shave with a feather blade this morning. It was much smoother than the derby blades I've been using. I got an awesome shave from it using a sample of castle forbes lime shaving cream. No nicks or irritation. I'm sure some of this is also related to my improvement in technique.

I should probably get a sample pack of blades to experiment...all I have ever used is whatever the local store has on the rack.

LittleLebowski
06-26-2011, 11:42 PM

Just tried Feathers yesterday and cut the shit out of myself. Did better today but the Feather is something to be treated with respect. Where are you guys getting these samples?

John Ralston
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Just tried Feathers yesterday and cut the shit out of myself. Did better today but the Feather is something to be treated with respect. Where are you guys getting these samples?

I have heard that Feathers were EXTREMELY sharp.

Sample packs can be found at lots of online stores - http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-Blade-Sampler-Pack-Choice_p_20.html

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 12:07 PM

Sample packs can be found at lots of online stores - http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DE-Blade-Sampler-Pack-Choice_p_20.html

They are no joke. Nice find! Any sample packs of creams, soaps, aftershaves, or colognes that you've seen?

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 02:09 PM
So far the Merkur blade that came with my 34C was the dullest, the Personna (red pack) just sucked, the Feather iscut your throat and not even notice it sharp, and the Derby is a nice medium.

Trumpers sample pack (http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail.cfm?ProductID=111547656). SLG, you might be interested in this.

TAP
06-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Check out Garry's Sample shop for soaps, creams, and AS.

http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/

mnealtx
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM

Yeah, you definitely want to have your technique down before you go to the ninja blades...

Lee's Razors has a sampler pack (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/DE-Blade-Multipack.html) for 22 bucks - 10 Merkur, 10 Derby, 10 Personna Red and 10 Feathers.

John Ralston
06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
They are no joke. Nice find! Any sample packs of creams, soaps, aftershaves, or colognes that you've seen?

I have not, but have never looked for any either.

LittleLebowski
06-27-2011, 08:53 PM
I have not, but have never looked for any either.

The Trumpers deal I posted above is about $13 total shipped for free from the UK.

SouthNarc
06-28-2011, 05:33 AM
You guys just cost me some $$. Jumping on the bandwagon with a Merkur Futur and sliver badger brush. Will report back if I have a face left.

LittleLebowski
06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
You guys just cost me some $$. Jumping on the bandwagon with a Merkur Futur and sliver badger brush. Will report back if I have a face left.

Get some Proraso! Stay away from the Feathers until you know what you're doing. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

LittleLebowski
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Friend of this forum author JLBourne (http://jlbourne.com/) just made this case by hand for his Merkur Futur.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/RazorCase.jpg

mnealtx
06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Get some Proraso! Stay away from the Feathers until you know what you're doing. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Proraso is a good, economical soap for starting out with - strongly agree.

There's also Proraso red if you don't want the eucalyptus - I added some Proraso red to a brush loaded with Mama Bear's Turkish Mocha shave stick for a superlather...great shave and almost no irritation.

Letting the razor do the work is the hardest part for virtually everyone.

Some things that may help:
1. Hold the razor by the very end of the handle with your fingertips.
2. Put the end of the handle on the inside of your pinky fingertip and lightly hold near the head with thumb and forefinger.

In both instances, you drastically reduce the amount of pressure you can apply. Both methods take some getting used to.
Sweet case!

LittleLebowski
07-10-2011, 06:42 PM
SouthNarc, AAR?

I just tried out my recently acquired '48 Gillette SuperSpeed and it is awesome. Really smooth but gets the job done. Worked well with a Shark and a Gillette yellow 7 o'clock.

TAP
07-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Worked well with a Shark and a Gillette yellow 7 o'clock.

I'm thinking about picking up some sharks and Gillette yellow's to try out. I have only tried Derby and Feathers so far. How do you like those two blades?

Is the superspeed a fixed or adjustable head?

I'm still working on a sample of Tabac soap I bought from Garry's sample shop. I have over 12 shaves using the sample and it still has enough left for about 5 more. The lather is great and the smell is just OK. Very old school powder type of smell. I've been superlathering the Tabac with poraso too. This works very well.

I'm also sitting on samples of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, Trumpers Limes soap, several Queen Charlotte sample creams, and the Trumpers sampler of creams.

LittleLebowski
07-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Get a blade sampler from some place like here (http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalog/blade-sampler-packs).

The Derby's are my "go to" blade, very good, no surprises. The Feathers cut the hell out of me using my Merkur 34c. I will be trying one in my my SS. The Gillette yellow did not work well in my Slim but worked quite well in my SS (SuperSpeed). The Shark was awesome in my SS.

The SS is a fixed head that surprisingly delivered better results than my adjustable Slim.

I'm thinking about picking up some sharks and Gillette yellow's to try out. I have only tried Derby and Feathers so far. How do you like those two blades?

Is the superspeed a fixed or adjustable head?

I'm still working on a sample of Tabac soap I bought from Garry's sample shop. I have over 12 shaves using the sample and it still has enough left for about 5 more. The lather is great and the smell is just OK. Very old school powder type of smell. I've been superlathering the Tabac with poraso too. This works very well.

I'm also sitting on samples of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap, Trumpers Limes soap, several Queen Charlotte sample creams, and the Trumpers sampler of creams.

SouthNarc
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
SouthNarc, AAR?

I just tried out my recently acquired '48 Gillette SuperSpeed and it is awesome. Really smooth but gets the job done. Worked well with a Shark and a Gillette yellow 7 o'clock.

Eh.....I've got a long way to go on my technique. The Futur looks cool as fuck but actually shaving with it has been a chore. It's heavy and there's no knurling so I feel like I don't have alot of control trying to hold the correct angle with slippery hands.

I probably need to get some more blades as I was underwhelmed with the Red Personnas and the Feathers keep biting me. I think I'm probably dicking around with adjusting the razor more than I should versus just setting it and then being patient enough to try and work more on my technique.

The upside though is that my lathering is down pat!

So I'm still a rook at this.

mnealtx
07-11-2011, 09:33 AM
You may want to try something like a Merkur 34C (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/284057.htm) - it has some knurling so it's a bit easier to keep hold of. Give the Reds a try with that and see if they work any better.

LittleLebowski
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
I am stomp down amazed at how much more I like Trumper's cream over Proraso.

Looking forward to wearing out the Shark I have in my '48 SS and trying out a Feather in it.

mnealtx
07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Have you tried the avocado? Not much for fragrance, but *man* is it nice at beating irritation...

LittleLebowski
07-12-2011, 10:17 AM
No, I've just tried rose, sandalwood, and coconut. No irritation from those. Not a fan of the coconut.

mnealtx
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
I think I've tried the sandalwood and coconut.

LittleLebowski
07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
You should definitely get the $13 sampler from Trumpers, mneal.

mnealtx
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I tried a sampler several years back, but it was from another shaver. Had several Trumpers and Truefitt-Hill creams as I recall - nice stuff.

Jac
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Eh.....I've got a long way to go on my technique. The Futur looks cool as fuck but actually shaving with it has been a chore. It's heavy and there's no knurling so I feel like I don't have alot of control trying to hold the correct angle with slippery hands.

C'mon... I don't know if you can stipple a razor, but surely you've got some grip tape lying around.

LittleLebowski
07-12-2011, 04:49 PM
C'mon... I don't know if you can stipple a razor, but surely you've got some grip tape lying around.

The man has a point.....

LittleLebowski
07-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I have some interesting stuff going on personally and could use the karma so here goes:

I have a 60's era Gillette Slim adjustable safety razor in very good, perfectly functioning condition. I will mail it out to any productive member of this forum that wants it. Conditions to accept are:

-I determine what "productive member of this forum" means

-if you don't like it, you must return it to me or pay it forward to another forum member in this thread, doing so in a public manner. That extends in perpetuity to whoever has possession of it.

John Ralston
07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Nevermind...I see you already noted it was a slim...which is what I have.

I will wish good karma upon thee anyway...

LittleLebowski
07-20-2011, 01:39 PM
IRISH got it via PM.

Shellback
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
IRISH got it via PM.

Thanks again LL! :cool:

Shellback
08-10-2011, 06:32 PM
IRISH got it via PM.

Razor arrived yesterday with some sample blades as well. Thanks again LL!

SouthNarc
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Sit-rep.

I prefer soaps to creams. They're just slicker and my face doesn't need the cushion apparently.

I have a Futur, Mergress XL, and Gillette Slim in rotation. I prefer the Futur head and shoulders above the other two. I run it daily at 3.

Red Personnas seem to be the best blade for me so far. Haven't tried Derbys yet but I seem to always get alot of "jumping" of the Feathers on my face and end up cutting myself.

JConn
08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I seem to always get alot of "jumping" of the Feathers on my face and end up cutting myself.

Same,almost everyone I've met who likes feathers uses a pre shave oil on the skin. I prefer water and a good cream lather using a Derby blade. Definitely worth giving a shot.

mnealtx
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
With Feathers, you have to do a REALLY good job of reduction and use a very light touch or they'll get ya.

Bratch
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Just placed an order with Lee's for their beginners set. I hate shaving and my neck is constantly irritated from it, maybe this will be the ticket.

mnealtx
08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Just placed an order with Lee's for their beginners set. I hate shaving and my neck is constantly irritated from it, maybe this will be the ticket.

Good luck!!

Some tips:

Put plain old moisturizer on your beard while in the shower. It will soften it tremendously and make the job much easier and with less irritation.

Don't settle for sub-standard lather - if it's frothy/bubbly, try again instead of using it just because.

Use a VERY light touch - shaving with a DE is nothing like shaving with a cartridge razor. Let the weight of the razor do the work and don't worry about getting everything in one pass.

Work with the grain of your beard at first, then try across the grain once you have that pattern down.

LittleLebowski
08-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks again LL! :cool:

Take your time..... This take acclimatization. Watch mantic59's videos, seriously.

I'll tell ya guys, it's hard to beat my '48 model Gillette SuperSpeed. I love the heft of my Merkur 34c but I know I can get just as close of a shave with my SS with far less chance of a cut.

Got an Edwin Jagger DE98L on the way (used) and another blade sampler.

LittleLebowski
08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
The Edwin Jagger 89L may not be for me. Cuts galore.

zml342
08-18-2011, 05:17 AM
The Edwin Jagger 89L may not be for me. Cuts galore.

What blade did you use? I was reading on B&B.com that the blade you use on one razor may not work as well on another razor. If you still have a sampler pack I would try going through the different blades again to see which works best.

Slavex
08-18-2011, 06:14 AM
I inherited my dads safety razor last year, tried numerous different blades and gels/foams/soaps. Never got it as good as my buzzing Mach 3. Seriously. I hate shaving and have actually thought about electrolysis I hate it so much. Thankfully I don't have to shave every day for work, if I did I'd just be a constant rash. I've thought about the straight razor route, as I've had a dozen or so barber shaves with them, and they rocked, but trying it out long ago resulted in nasty cuts so I wimped out.

orionz06
08-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Can anyone speak to the stuff sold at The Art of Shaving (http://www.theartofshaving.com/)?

LittleLebowski
08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
What blade did you use? I was reading on B&B.com that the blade you use on one razor may not work as well on another razor. If you still have a sampler pack I would try going through the different blades again to see which works best.

Used Treet and Feather blades so far. Have a few sampler packs.

zml342
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Used Treet and Feather blades so far. Have a few sampler packs.

Feathers, as they say, are ninja sharp! I would try testing some of the other blades you have to see if it helps any. Maybe mnealtx can chime in with a more experienced suggestion.

Can anyone speak to the stuff sold at The Art of Shaving (http://www.theartofshaving.com/)?

I hear they put out a good product. I went in to one of their stores and was able to get a sample packet (uncented cream, pre shave oil and balm). The cream worked well and the packet gave me enough for two shaves. I had really hoped to try their lemon scented cream, but that was unavailable. Unfortunately I have not tried their soaps, so I can't comment on those.

One great thing about them is you can go into most major cities and malls and find a store, whereas most of the other brands have to be ordered online.

LittleLebowski
08-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I do so well with my SuperSpeed and Merkur 34c that I am inclined to blame the razor.

mnealtx
08-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I do so well with my SuperSpeed and Merkur 34c that I am inclined to blame the razor.

It's possible that the blade exposure on that razor just doesn't work for you - especially if you've tried several brands of blades.

I keep thinking of trying other razors, but I like my Slant too much!

TAP
08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Razor preference is definitely personal. I have a DE89, slim and a superspeed (in order of preference). The superspeed is too mild for me even with a feather.

LittleLebowski
08-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Tried a Derby 2x in the DE89L and cuts and irritation! Slapped the same Derby into my Merkur 34c and baby butt smooth shave!

Got a nice SuperSpeed in for my little brother in Iraq..... I can't think of a better razor to start him out with.

The DE89L will be finding a new home soon.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Bought a Merkur slant, hope you're happy mneal :D

mnealtx
08-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Bought a Merkur slant, hope you're happy mneal :D

Heheheheheheheheheh....

*Don't* start with a Feather.... ;)

LittleLebowski
08-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Heheheheheheheheheh....

It sold to someone else. Looking at older open combs now.

BWT
09-01-2011, 11:32 PM
This is something I might actually look into... Weird.

The_Dave
09-11-2011, 02:40 PM
This is going to get expensive.

I've always hated shaving and so avoided it whenever possible, but after reading this thread and watching some Youtube vids I decided to get a Merkur 34C and DR Harris Marlborough soap and give this DE shave thing a try.

The result was the closest shave of my life, but not without a few nicks. I went against the grain because I'm impatient and stubborn and I know everything, damnit. :mad:

At any rate, I'm very pleased with the results and can't wait to try again. I'm already looking at other razors to try, though I think I'll work on my technique a bit before I move from derby blades to Feathers.

Thanks for posting this

LittleLebowski
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
The_Dave, keep us posted.

MNeal, I got my Slant. It's no damned joke. However, the new open comb Muhle R41 is not quite as close but it's a damned site smoother. The two are neck and neck but if I had to choose, the R41 is the one. I wil alternate between the two for a while.

LittleLebowski
09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Joined a shaving forum and......oh god, just look at this (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/251107-Is-Glock-that-good-or-is-it-just-fanboy-hype?p=3465845#post3465845).

orionz06
09-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Carrying in a briefcase because he forgot a belt?

LittleLebowski
09-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Not to mention carrying 1911s and BHPs stuck in the waist band......sans holster.

orionz06
09-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Not to mention carrying 1911s and BHPs stuck in the waist band......sans holster.

Priceless:

When you're looking at polymer frame guns, three stand out. Springfield XD, Glock, and Sig. Maybe you could throw in a Magnum Research Desert Eagle. They're all great weapons.

John Ralston
09-23-2011, 09:34 AM
You can't fix Stupid...

LittleLebowski
09-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been alternating between my Merkur Slant and the Muhle R41. Once I find the right blades for both, I'm done on trying razors. Both are outstanding with the R41 being more mild and forgiving.

Isaac
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
LL,

With my R41 i've had more enjoyable shaves with the Israeli blades vs the Feathers, but on my Merkur 34c I prefer the Feathers... my biggest complaint is the handle is too smooth... if I could get a shorter heavier more grippy handle like the 34c, it would def be a keeper.

found this: https://sites.google.com/site/bobsrazorworks/

JV_
09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Wow, almost 200 posts about razors and shaving. I would never have guessed.

Can someone point me to a decent razor for shaving my head? I can't foresee myself becoming passionate about shaving, I just want something good enough to accomplish the job and not leave me looking like I used a weed eater.

JDM
09-27-2011, 11:49 AM

You and me both. When I started this thread I thought I'd get two or three replies, and now its way above MY head. I just shave with the damn thing.

mnealtx
09-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Can someone point me to a decent razor for shaving my head? I can't foresee myself becoming passionate about shaving, I just want something good enough to accomplish the job and not leave me looking like I used a weed eater.

Look at the Headblade - looks funky but I'm told they work pretty well. Looks like you can get them at most drugstores - Walgreens, Meyers, etc.

JV_
09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Look at the Headblade - looks funky but I'm told they work pretty well. Looks like you can get them at most drugstores - Walgreens, Meyers, etc.

I saw those online earlier today, it's interesting design. I like having the consistent angle in odd places like the back of your head.

mnealtx
09-27-2011, 06:45 PM
I saw those online earlier today, it's interesting design. I like having the consistent angle in odd places like the back of your head.

One of my coworkers headshaves with a straight razor... :eek: He rarely nicks himself, but I still give him h*ll about doing it before he has his morning coffee. :p

Gun Nerd
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I've been shaving with a double-edged razor since July. Like others, I enjoy the tradition and look forward to the daily ritual and better shaves. I rarely want to skip a day, but when I do it's a lot less painful than with the old 5- or 6- or 8-bladed contraption.

For whatever it's worth, I started with a Merkur HD 34C and like it, but it may be a touch too aggressive since I really like the Feather blades (nothing else works quite as well). Later, I got a Merkur 180 (long, skinny handle). I thought I'd like the long handle but it didn't seem to make that much difference. Generally I think I prefer the heavier razor, so the 180 goes in my gym bag.

I just got a mid-'60s Super Speed on eBay (I like that if you're old enough, you can get a date code from the quarter of your birth) but it's not very aggressive at all, even with the ninja blades. Now I'm looking for a Slim with the right date code; I think the extra weight and adjustability should let me get it (literally) dialed in. I'm also pretty sure it's the model my dad let me try ages ago, but of course I took a dime-size chunk of skin out of my jaw line. As a teenager I probably just figured more was better and dialed it up to 9.

The blade gap and weight charts linked here may be helpful for anyone trying to decide on his next razor: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

I use the Proraso soap just because I can't justify taking up even more space in a small bathroom, and for travel purposes. I like the sensitive skin stuff best, but I'm going to use up the rest of the ordinary version first.

LittleLebowski
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Heheheheheheheheheh....

My 39c Slant is mild compared to the 2011 Muhle R41. That thing is no joke.

Slant is my daily shaver now. Med Preps and Voshkods.

Gun Nerd
10-20-2011, 04:18 AM
So I found a couple of Slims on eBay -- they're just about perfect for me. A little longer than my first Merkur, a little heavier than the Super Speed, and you can dial the aggressiveness to suit the day. Number 3 was too much, on 2 I can actually get a tolerable one-pass shave if I'm in a hurry, and I can go down to 1 if my skin is irritated or if I nicked myself the previous day.

I was away on business this weekend and didn't want to bring a carry-on, so I had to use a Fusion. Ouch! Never again.

Chefdog
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm starting a new job tomorrow that requires me to be clean shaven, much to my dismay. I've been sporting some sort of closely trimmed beard for the last 10+ years, so the idea of shaving on a regular basis has me really irritated. But, the experiences and info in this thread have convinced me that a safety razor is in my immediate future. The benefits of less irritated skin and long term savings make a lot of sense.

From all the info here I gather that it'll take a little experimentation to find a razor that fits my face best, a bit like holsters. Can someone fill me in on the differences between an open vs closed comb razor, as far as how it affects the feel and closeness of the shave? Id like to find one that's a little forgiving until I get the hang of it, but is nice enough to hold onto once I'm up to speed. After my initial reading I'm leaning towards one of the Muhle or Edwin Jagger razors instead of the Merkur. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Gun Nerd
10-25-2011, 05:20 AM
From all the info here I gather that it'll take a little experimentation to find a razor that fits my face best, a bit like holsters. Can someone fill me in on the differences between an open vs closed comb razor, as far as how it affects the feel and closeness of the shave? Id like to find one that's a little forgiving until I get the hang of it, but is nice enough to hold onto once I'm up to speed. After my initial reading I'm leaning towards one of the Muhle or Edwin Jagger razors instead of the Merkur. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I can't say enough good things about the old Gillette adjustables. They make it easy to start off with a less aggressive shave until you get the hang of things, and crank it up or down as needed.

And they're cheaper than new ones. Get a Gillette Slim or Fat Boy on eBay for $30 shipped (give or take) and a pack of Derbys, and you're good to go.

Bratch
10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Anybody have a source for a Blade Bank? I nicked myself picking up an used blade the other day and remembered I needed a bank. I couldn't find one on Lee's or at the local shop.

zml342
10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Anybody have a source for a Blade Bank? I nicked myself picking up an used blade the other day and remembered I needed a bank. I couldn't find one on Lee's or at the local shop.

Here (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Double-Edge-Blade-Bank_p_45.html)is one...

theblacknight
12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Wow,long thread about str8 razors, weird how like people think? My wife is getting me a straight razor for christmas. I'm tired of paying 28$ for 8 razors. I showed her the ropes, and the market place at straightrazorplace.

NickA
12-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Not to talk anyone out of a straight razor or safety razor, but here's a tip for extending the life of a regular cartridge blade: rinse it well and get all the hair and stuff off, then dry the blades. I usually just dab it on a towel, but you can dip it in alcohol if you wish. I usually get several weeks if not a few months out of a blade.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MDS
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Not to talk anyone out of a straight razor or safety razor, but here's a tip for extending the life of a regular cartridge blade: rinse it well and get all the hair and stuff off, then dry the blades. I usually just dab it on a towel, but you can dip it in alcohol if you wish.

I, for one, won't add a new straight razor into my "serious use" rotation until it goes 2000 shaves with no cleaning/maintenance and no issues. :eek:

NickA
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
You must shave like 17 times a day. Or you're a yeti. ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MDS
12-02-2011, 04:52 PM
You must shave like 17 times a day.

Absolutely. Also, I dry-shave every night for five minutes with a 1.5s PAR time.

The price of manliness.

LittleLebowski
12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow,long thread about str8 razors, weird how like people think? My wife is getting me a straight razor for christmas. I'm tired of paying 28$ for 8 razors. I showed her the ropes, and the market place at straightrazorplace.

I'd start out with a nice double edge razor.

MDS
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Any idea how a DE razor will work for someone like me that only shaves about once a week?

IME, it depends on how fast your face hair grows.

All joking aside, I usually shave less often than that, maybe once or twice a month. Personally, I prefer a straight for removing hair by the facefull - unless it's for a special occasion, I only need one pass. My facial hair grows kind of slow, though, so for me a DE would work well if I'd shave every week. I'm not a DE expert, only tried it off and on for a year or so - and it might not have been a great quality DE kit, just whatever they sold me at The Art of Shaving some years ago. YMMV

Jac
12-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Any idea how a DE razor will work for someone like me that only shaves about once a week?

Well, a DE will probably (almost certainly, actually) give you a closer shave to start with, so you'll be un-scruffy for a longer period... that's why I like it.

I shave maybe every two weeks (or less), myself. But just 'cause I'm lazy.

MDS
12-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Good to know. I think I'll look into getting started with a DE.

Personal bias aside, this is the wise course. I love my straight razor like some folks love their 1911. It has its strengths, but I have to admit I love it for the ritual, not the quick or close shave. An "enthusiast's" shaver, if you will...

LittleLebowski
12-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Tom, I would be happy to send you a good razor and some blades.

Gun Nerd
12-03-2011, 08:42 AM

It'll work way better than any cartridge, but may take an extra pass because you're not trying to get the whole thing at one whack.

With an adjustable, you can crank it up a bit for shaving off a heavy beard.

With my Gillette Slim, I usually do a full two-pass shave on Monday (which is when I start a new blade), then knock it back with a single pass on Tuesday with the razor set on "1." Same on Wed. but with the razor on "2." By Thurs. I usually need a two-pass shave, or I do it any day I have meetings or will be dealing with the public.

Skold
12-03-2011, 07:47 PM
So, ive read through this whole thread over the course of a few days on and off. I have decided to get a DE razor and try it out, what advice is there on picking a brush? I know I should get a badger hair, but are there any other things to worry about?

LittleLebowski
12-04-2011, 09:35 AM
So, ive read through this whole thread over the course of a few days on and off. I have decided to get a DE razor and try it out, what advice is there on picking a brush? I know I should get a badger hair, but are there any other things to worry about?

No, I used a $13 Tweezerman boar brush for months. Worked great. I wanted to make sure I liked wet shaving before I plopped down over $50 for a good badger brush (which I have and now like a lot; a Simpson Case brush).

I'd recommend a Merkur 34c with a blade sampler pack starting out.

Skold
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Ok, so I just ordered a Merkur 34C and a brush to try out. I will let everyone know how it goes!

mnealtx
12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Ok, so I just ordered a Merkur 34C and a brush to try out. I will let everyone know how it goes!

Congrats!!

Make sure you get some good soaps, too...

Ga Shooter
01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I have been following this thread for a while but I am finally on my last Fusion blade. I am looking to go to a DE blade and from this thread considering a Merkur 34C, 23C,or 25C barber comb style. I usually shave every other day becuase of the irritaion I get on my neck (bad razor bumps and rash like redness). I have a very tough beard but sensitive skin and have used nothig but the MACH series since they were invented. What do you more experienced guys think would be the best way to go?

LittleLebowski
01-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I have been following this thread for a while but I am finally on my last Fusion blade. I am looking to go to a DE blade and from this thread considering a Merkur 34C, 23C,or 25C barber comb style. I usually shave every other day becuase of the irritaion I get on my neck (bad razor bumps and rash like redness). I have a very tough beard but sensitive skin and have used nothig but the MACH series since they were invented. What do you more experienced guys think would be the best way to go?

I'd get a 34C, a blade sampler, a cheap brush, and some Proraso.

joshs
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd get a 34C, a blade sampler, a cheap brush, and some Proraso.

This is essentially what I did by getting the ultimate beginners kit from lee's razors. I also got an alum block and some Proraso aftershave.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2012, 10:14 AM
This is essentially what I did by getting the ultimate beginners kit from lee's razors. I also got an alum block and some Proraso aftershave.

Good move. Give it time and keep us updated. Mantic59's YouTube videos are very helpful.

Ga Shooter
01-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Placed my order today. We will see how this works out. How many shaves do you get out of each blade?

LittleLebowski
01-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Placed my order today. We will see how this works out. How many shaves do you get out of each blade?

Depends on the razor..... 3-6, sometimes more. Watch out for crap blades like Derby and Merkur. My favorite right now is Red Personnas. Don't use a Feather until you really know what you're doing.

BaiHu
01-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Ya wanna know why I love this site/forum? It's b/c it talks about all of my interests and I never really have to start a thread-I just need to look for it. My g/f gave me a straight razor set up this past Christmas and I love it. Here's my 'rig' and the youtube guy that has been very helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy

From L to R: Rooney Badger Brush, George Trumper's Sandalwood Skin Food, Chinese silver/tin shaving bowl, inside is Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Shaving soap, Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave Gel, Tea cup with Bloc Osma Natural Alum Block, Dovo Ebenholz Shaver and Mountain Mike Shaving strop. I didn't take a picture of the sharpening stone, b/c it's a 40+ year old stone that my mother gave me that was her father's.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120125_105910.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120125_105921.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/20120125_105933.jpg

My g/f did the initial purchase and she found that buying the kit was a cheaper experience and then I started picking some pieces up on Amazon like the Gel, Alum and Skin food. I also picked up a Norton stone flattener, b/c I had 40 years of grime and curve into that stone-took me almost an hour to flatten both sides. Yes, I took a break-LOL!

Happy Shaving!

Ga Shooter
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Watch out for crap blades like Derby and Merkur. My favorite right now is Red Personnas. Don't use a Feather until you really know what you're doing.

Thanks for the help. Whee did you get your multipack b/c lees have both Derby and Merkur in them. Also the DE baldes will work in the 34c correct?

LittleLebowski
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the help. Whee did you get your multipack b/c lees have both Derby and Merkur in them. Also the DE baldes will work in the 34c correct?

Bull Goose Shaving (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/blsapa.html) is my vendor of choice, period. Go ahead and try the Derbys/Merkurs, just know that most guys including myself don't like them. DE blades are what your 34c is designed for. Remember to go slow and use light strokes. Auditory feedback is key. First go TG (with the grain), then think about XTG (across the grain or sideways) or ATG (against the grain). This is an entirely different animal than the latest multiple blade plastic monstrosity and much sharper.

Watch Mantic59's videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59) before doing anything with your new kit.

Ga Shooter
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow!! A lot more choices there. Which multipack would you suggest? They look like the prices are a little better than Lees also. Thanks for the help.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd go with the MVP or Touchstone.

Ga Shooter
01-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot!

joshs
01-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Good move. Give it time and keep us updated. Mantic59's YouTube videos are very helpful.

I started DE shaving shortly after this thread was started. I've had the best luck with Wilkinson Sword blades that I found at Walmart.

derekb
01-25-2012, 11:56 AM
You guys are making me think about losing the beard. Back when I did shave it was with a brush and soap, and the lather was the most luxurious thing I'd ever experienced. Never made the jump to safety/straight razors, then I just stopped.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2012, 01:20 PM
I started DE shaving shortly after this thread was started. I've had the best luck with Wilkinson Sword blades that I found at Walmart.

I'll have to try those. I'm using one of the most non-mistake-friendly (for lack of a better term) razors out there and blade choice matters greatly.

I've found my shaves to vary greatly on blade choice and by soap/cream choice. I prefer soaps. Right now, my favorite is Mitchell's Wool Fat (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/miwofatshsoi.html).

Super J
01-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Usually my time in my favorite forums end up causing me to go out and spend money on gun related stuff...and along comes this thread for me.

I have been using gillette mach 3 (and similar set ups) for as long as I can remember to shave not only my face but also my head. I have tried all kinds of electric shavers including one that I paid almost $200 for, that was a complete waste of time. I am always looking for improvements and I am excited about the idea of using something else to get a closer shave.

I've gone thru the first few pages of the thread and don't recall anyone mentioning shaving their head. Please chime in if you shave your head and please let me know what you use.

Buzz Fledderjohn
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
There's a knife shop here in town that stocks some of my belts and they have a nice old school shaving section. Last year for my b-day I bought a nice DE setup, Merkur, badger brush, various blades, and on their recommendation, soap/aftershave from Razo Rock (http://www.RazoRock.com) that they all loved.

I use the Third Eye artisan shaving soap, it comes in a tub with a screw off lid that you can mash the soap into the lid of where it will stick and stay then use the tub to lather up the brush in. Great for travel, too. Finish off with the Alum Stick which feels really good. The only time I need anything else is during the winter months now and again when the wood burner is really cranking and the house is a tad dry, I'll throw some aloe on an hour or two after shaving if needed. Have been using Israeli Personnas blades with no complaints.

Overall I enjoy shaving for the first time in my life now.

~Matt

mnealtx
01-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Soap sticks like Tabac or Mama Bear's offerings are great for travel...

LittleLebowski
04-26-2012, 01:24 PM
This needs bumped.... I'm loving the concept of a shave stick. Moisten face, rub stick on face, lather with semi wet brush. I'm very happy with Taylor of Old Bond Street's Sandalwood stick but can also recommend Arko (if you can handle the different but not offensive smell, nothing lathers better), Speick, and Valobra shave sticks.

On the soap front, my gold standard is Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Corlissimo
04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Usually my time in my favorite forums end up causing me to go out and spend money on gun related stuff...and along comes this thread for me.

I have been using gillette mach 3 (and similar set ups) for as long as I can remember to shave not only my face but also my head. I have tried all kinds of electric shavers including one that I paid almost $200 for, that was a complete waste of time. I am always looking for improvements and I am excited about the idea of using something else to get a closer shave.

I've gone thru the first few pages of the thread and don't recall anyone mentioning shaving their head. Please chime in if you shave your head and please let me know what you use.

I shave my head (BBC) using a Headblade. It's fast, no nicks, and I only have to do it every other day. I'll usually uss Headblade's shave cream (bottle) but sometimes use shave oil when it's dry out, or I want to get extra smooth.

Thinking of trying the head shaver from Dovo too. Maybe this summer.

--
Sent from my personal Droid. Please excuse any typos, my Droid's kinda stupid. (°_°)

Ga Shooter
04-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I love the whole concept. I have at this point tried several different products but my favorite cream so far has been C.O. Bigelow (proraso). I have not had great results with soaps so far but have not tried any sticks yet. I keep meaning to try MWF but just have not had the time.

seabiscuit
04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
That stick sounds like it'd be great for travel and deployments... Which are several years down the road, but coming.

mnealtx
04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Sticks are *fantastic* for travel.

I've not used any of the sticks that L-L mentions, but I'm a fan of Mama Bears (http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2)' Turkish Mocha stick.

staplebox
04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Love the DE shaving. Cheaper (not really) and better shave. Just feels like you are doing it the right way.

I tend to try different things in cycles - dropping what I don't like and cycling back around to what I do when I run out of whatever is current.

Right now it is all Razo Rock - XXX shave cream and classic aftershave 'wax'. (not waxy at all)

Using a Edwin Jagger with Feather blades.
Every time I get a new razor I try different blades with it. I always come back to Feather though.

I just ordered up some Proraso supplies for the summer. I love that stuff in the summer.

I also like Geo Trumper Skin Food for aftershave. Probably my favorite but it ain't cheap.
On days I don't shave I like the cheap Nivea white bottle sensitive aftershave. Not at all greasy.

PaulL
04-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I forgot this thread was here. Should have posted before...

I like the MWF and Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet for soap, but I'm stuck on the Castle Forbes Lime cream right now. The lime after shave balm is REALLY nice, too. It's expensive, but it goes a long way. I HIGHLY recommend trying the travel size of the different Castle Forbes products. They're usually 16-17 bucks.

For straight razors, I have a Boker Edelweiss and a Thiers-Issard Le Grelot. I prefer the wider, heavier TI over the Boker, though. In a DE razor, I cycle between a Merkur 15C, 33C, 39C, and Futur. The 39C probably sees the most use. That thing will shave through ANYTHING and blades seem to last longer. Speaking of blades, those are Feather all the way. Nothing cuts like those.

If you're on the fence about getting into this shaving ritual, it's WORTH IT. They don't make a drug that can knock you out at night like a good hot shower, shave, and a little bit of good Scotch. There are people alive today that might not be if not for my shaving stuff... ;)

Some of the goodies...

http://paulmlawrence.smugmug.com/Photography/Misc-Photos/i-4bnx7fw/0/L/LP12715-L.jpg

JDM
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Paul, that brush stand is AWESOME!

Do want.

PaulL
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=1249&cat=125&page=1

LittleLebowski
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I used to think that my Merkur 39c was aggressive..... Then came the Muhle 2011 R41 and the New York Shaving Company Mariner.

LittleLebowski
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Paul, that brush stand is AWESOME!

Do want.

Agreed.

JDM
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=1249&cat=125&page=1

Thanks!!

mnealtx
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
I used to think that my Merkur 39c was aggressive..... Then came the Muhle 2011 R41 and the New York Shaving Company Mariner.

Dude, you went straight past running with scissors to juggling running chainsaws and flaming cats. :p

Ga Shooter
04-28-2012, 06:34 AM
I'm lovin that TI it looks great.

LittleLebowski
04-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Dude, you went straight past running with scissors to juggling running chainsaws and flaming cats. :p

I'll tell you what; that R41 is a bloodthirsty beast. The Mariner is almost as aggressive but much more even and less temperamental.

I'm very grateful for yours, SLG's, and everyone else's advice in this thread. I cannot go back to $5 6 blade TurboMach5 razors and canned goo.

Ga Shooter
04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm very grateful for yours, SLG's, and everyone else's advice in this thread. I cannot go back to $5 6 blade TurboMach5 razors and canned goo.

I have to add your name in there LL but a +1 on that statement.

mnealtx
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I'll tell you what; that R41 is a bloodthirsty beast. The Mariner is almost as aggressive but much more even and less temperamental.

It's amazing how much better of a shave it is, isn't it?

LittleLebowski
04-28-2012, 05:06 PM
It's amazing how much better of a shave it is, isn't it?

12 hours later, my face feels like it might have been just shaved by one of the mainstream razors.

mnealtx
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
12 hours later, my face feels like it might have been just shaved by one of the mainstream razors.

And less irritated, too.

LittleLebowski
05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_20120327_141111.jpg

seabiscuit
05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Anybody have any advice for traveling (not really flying, but road tripping) with a DE razor? I'll get a pill bottle for my brush and a shave stick but I'm not sure what to do about the razor. Maybe take the head off and find a little nut to hold it together?

mnealtx
05-08-2012, 05:06 AM
If you're *that* tight on space that you have to disassemble the razor, it may be worth picking up a travel (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/550344/355798.htm) razor (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/550344/355805.htm) (both words link). You'll still have to send yourself blades or buy them locally once you get to your destination.

seabiscuit
05-08-2012, 09:15 AM
It's not really a space issue, just that I need a way to kinda protect the razor and the blades, instead of having it loose in my bag. Not sure what to do with the blade if I take it out.

mnealtx
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
It's not really a space issue, just that I need a way to kinda protect the razor and the blades, instead of having it loose in my bag. Not sure what to do with the blade if I take it out.

To protect the razor, you can get a razor (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/550344/7553155.htm) case (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/550344/7427405.htm) (both link); for the used blades, get a blade bank (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/4477159.htm). If you live in an older house, look in your medicine cabinet - if there's a slot in the back, that's where you'd put used blades.

A correction to my last post - you can't take blades in the cabin, I know that (oops). Can anyone advise if they've gotten blades through in checked baggage?

LittleLebowski
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
I've had no problems with blades in checked luggage.

I just keep my safety razor in my shaving kit.

If you can't prep with a shower to soften the whiskers, I recommend applying a balm like Neutrogena before lathering. It makes a huge difference.

Gun Nerd
05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
To protect the razor, you can get a razor (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/550344/7553155.htm) case (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/550344/7427405.htm) (both link); for the used blades, get a blade bank (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/4477159.htm). If you live in an older house, look in your medicine cabinet - if there's a slot in the back, that's where you'd put used blades.

A correction to my last post - you can't take blades in the cabin, I know that (oops). Can anyone advise if they've gotten blades through in checked baggage?

Sure, a few weeks ago.

I keep my razor in a leather case (http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Safety-Razor-Protective-Parker/dp/B001O8NCI4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336496128&sr=1-1).

I use Feather blades. The packages have a used-blade compartment.

LittleLebowski
05-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Really enjoying my Joris soap. Awesome scent, whips right up in its own bowl. Something like $30 shipped. I got mine here (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/joshso3oz.html) as I do most of my shaving supplies.

theblacknight
06-11-2012, 07:44 PM
So Ive been looking at a straight/safety razors for like a year from a economic point but seems just like reloading,the people who are really into it do it for the better results and forget about the saving/never cared in the first place.

How much do you guys save over your mainstream razor set up you used to use.

NOTE:I have a barber supply house local to me and wouldnt have to deal with shipping silliness.http://www.bowmanbeauty.com/store/shop.mvc?page=BBS/CTGY/1-18110

LittleLebowski
06-11-2012, 08:38 PM
If you can stick with one brand of soap, figure out your brand of razor blades, and avoid buying differing stuff because it's different, you'll save money. Try some Proraso cream, Personna blades, a cheap boar brush, and a Merkur 34c.

Coyotesfan97
06-12-2012, 12:59 AM
If you can stick with one brand of soap, figure out your brand of razor blades, and avoid buying differing stuff because it's different, you'll save money. Try some Proraso cream, Personna blades, a cheap boar brush, and a Merkur 34c.

I'm going to give this a try. My wife is buying a Fathers Day gift. ;)

BLR
06-12-2012, 06:02 AM
During the week, I use a Pils with Truefit & Hill cream. On Sunday I use a carbon steel Dovo 6/8.

The Pils replaced the Merkur Vision. The Vision had a good feel, but the head was WAY too think for under the nose work. The Pils does good, but is non adjustable.

Switched from the Gillette stuff when in College.

Cheers!