PDA

View Full Version : CZ P-01 Omega or P-07 users, tell me which you prefer and why

fatdog
11-19-2022, 08:38 AM
I had a CZ-75B at the end of the 20th century and liked it although it was strictly a USPSA production gamer gun as I found it too heavy and large for CCW. My brotherinlaw the infantryman hated the M9 with a passion, so he took it with him to Iraq in 2003 and of course it could not come home. I often wonder how many owners it finally had and if it still exists.

So I am intrigued to dip back into the CZ pool this winter and try one of their hammer fired DA/SA guns, my use case is purely CCW, assuming I get comfortable and competent with it I will order some JMCK and carry it, it won't be my gamer gun.

We have many experts and owners here with 10's of thousands of rounds down range with each. I am just looking for the specifics of what makes you prefer one over the other for carry and why you find you shoot one model better than the other if you can discern the reason for that.

I was very surprised to check the specs and find that the weight of the all metal gun is within 1/2 oz. weight of the polymer frame gun. Street price on GB appears to be a wash, same for magazines, and I see the Cajun gun works people support both with performance parts.

guymontag
11-19-2022, 09:13 AM
Clusterfrack will give you some great info. Good observation on the weight difference as well!

I’m not a fan of the Omega system (although it is simpler and likely more robust than the “standard” setup) but I don’t think you would go wrong with either. The P07 slide is bulkier, and the magazines are bulkier as well. I think the real difference comes to your hand size and how you interface with the gun - meaning - the backstrap system on the 07/09 doesn’t do anything for me really, with my small to medium hands, but changing the side grip panels on the 01 really allows me to tune how I shoot the gun and what my support hand can do.

I’d argue as well not to race to the razors edge with performance parts in the CZ, many people will get to the brink and then wonder why the gun doesn’t work or parts break - some of it is on CZ but the end user has a role as well.

ETA: So in the end I would advise a gun rental range or taking some time in the gun shop to fondle them both and how you interact with the gun controls and go from there. Also I think the 07/09 might have more stock accuracy, and the 01 series does benefit from the CGW bushing without adverse effects on reliability for CCW.

Ichiban
11-19-2022, 10:24 AM
Not a super user by any means but I definitely prefer the P-01, especially for EDC as I think the more rounded butt works better there. Also, the ergonomics just work better for me and I prefer being ably to change the grip panels. And, while not quantitative, I think I can shoot the P-01 a little better. The only changes I have made to mine consist of a CGW ultra-lite kit, grip panels, and sights.

They are both outstanding firearms and if I had to give up my P-01 I could easily live with a P-07.

TeeBee
11-19-2022, 10:32 AM
The best I can compare is my P-07s to my 75D PCR and 75B Omega. Although, I think I can make inferences based on my experience with these models.

I do prefer the feel of the metal framed compacts as they tend to have a more natural feel to me. I have also tended to shoot them slightly better than the polymer. And as guymontag said:

...changing the side grip panels on the 01 really allows me to tune how I shoot the gun and what my support hand can do.

What has kept me from carrying the metal framed gun more frequently is a (possibly misplaced) perception of durability that the slide/frame have on the polymer gun. This could probably start a polycoat vs. nitride finish argument. I also don't feel as bad about putting wear on the finish of my polymer guns. For me, polymer guns feel more 'expendable' and replaceable than metal framed.

The only other comparison I can make is the trigger feel between polymer and metal framed Omegas. I only have a sample set of one metal versus three polymers so take this for what it might be worth to you. I've had better luck cleaning up the stock trigger on the polymer guns. I've put CGW parts into my P-07s, but my stock P-09 trigger yielded a better trigger than my 75B Omega. This is with the same amount of work done to the factory parts.

Ichiban
11-19-2022, 10:47 AM
Don't know if you've seen this comparison or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcK724OMnPk&t=548s

Biggy
11-19-2022, 11:11 AM
I have had both and still have the P-01 Omega. I like how you can change the grip panels out on the Omega’s to suit your preference for texture and thickness and some of the aftermarket G10 grip panels really locks your hand onto the grip. For me the grip frame of the P-07 is kind of slick, also I think the mags are cheaper for the P-01. IMHO, they both need the spring kits to reduce their stock DA trigger pull. The cheaper P-07 is a better value money wise. It really just comes down to personal preference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3BKsIgRek

https://i.imgur.com/4C2nSnOh.jpg

Evil_Ed
11-19-2022, 11:51 AM
I have both; I wouldn't feel bad about carrying either but the P07 wins the ergonomics by a mile for the simple reason that you can fit a large backstrap. I have XL+ hands; the tiny grip of the P01 basically means I can get my strong/trigger hand on it, but there's nearly zero room to fit my off hand on it and make contact with the grip panel when in a firing grip. It sucks, because it's a great size, otherwise ergonomically sound, I like the decocker on my P01, etc...it just moves around so much in my hand because I can only ever really shoot it SHO, with the weak hand really only serving to help crush my strong hand on it, and not really making any contact with a grip surface :(

JCN
11-19-2022, 11:57 AM
fatdog

Like people said, you really can’t go wrong with either one.

Personally, I like the P01 because I can customize grip width and texture to place my trigger finger exactly where I want it.

I do this on all my competition CZs.

Small parts interchangeability is what swayed me as well with the other metal framed CZs.

You can even make it into something weird if you wanted to.

They have 3D printed spacers to use standard 75B mags without over insertion.

Ichiban
11-19-2022, 12:03 PM
And speaking of magazines...

Mec-gar makes 15-round P-01 magazines if the factory 14-round magazines are inadequate.

Biggy
11-19-2022, 12:06 PM
fatdog

Personally, I like the P01 because I can customize grip width and texture to place my trigger finger exactly where I want it.

Small parts interchangeability is what swayed me as well with the other metal framed CZs.

What brand and kind of grips are on your P-01

Clusterfrack
11-19-2022, 12:07 PM
I strongly prefer the P-07 to the P-01 Omega as a defensive handgun. Here are a few reasons:

The P-07 was designed from the ground up with the Omega action, and is extremely robust and reliable. My carry P-07s have seen a lot of dirty, dusty, sandy, wet field conditions, and they have been 100% reliable.

There are credible reports of P-01 Omega decocker lever walking out under recoil, and the problem apparently persists in current models, so that's a no-go for me. If I wanted a P-01, I would buy the standard model not the Omega.

I prefer the ergos of the P-07. To my hands it feels more like a Shadow2 than the older CZ-75s.

The P-07 works with most CZ-75 mags in a pinch. While the P-07 mags are slightly thicker to prevent them from fitting in an older model, they are not at all bulky.

The published dimensions of the P-07 are incorrect (they included the levers, making the gun appear much thicker than it actually is). The slide is 1.1" thick, comparable to a Glock 19.

The P-07 slide rides inside 2 hefty melonited steel frame inserts, which are replaceable. The P-01 uses a full length rail in the aluminum lower.

With a CGW Prograde kit, the P-07 has as good a DA/SA trigger as anyone needs for defensive purposes, approx. DA: 7lbs (stock weight 13.2 lbs) and SA: 3.25 lbs (stock weight 3.3 - 5.5lbs). The CZ75 action can be tuned to be a bit smoother and lighter, but at the cost of reliability and complexity.

The P-07 can be easily milled for optic cuts, with irons forward.

JCN
11-19-2022, 12:55 PM
What brand and kind of grips are on your P-01

Lok (I use them on my competition grips).

Full checkered for the texture (bogies are too aggressive for me).

Palm swell for the width / thickness.

TicTacticalTimmy
11-19-2022, 02:09 PM
I own and shoot both, though I have an order of magnitude more time behind the P07/09 than the P01 Omega. I shoot my P07 better and carry it nearly all the time, but I think that is simply because my P07 wears better sights and has a better holster. One of these days I'm going to get a K cut for the Omega and a new holster. I'll note that if you asked this question 2 years ago, my answer would have been almost certainly the P07, but I think recent events such as the P01 coming with 15rd standard magazines, Night Fission CZ75 sights, and the availability of a K cut that retains the stock iron sights have really evened it up.

Optics:
The P01 is limited to K cut or similar for optics, though with the HS EPS carry being a thing, I no longer see this as a big downside. You can get a K cut in front of the stock irons, and still see the stock irons through the window, so you don't even need to buy aftermarket BUIS. The P07 is a very good platform for optics, you can get an RMR cut, 509t, DPP, etc. for generally the same price as it would be to mill a Glock. You will need a new rear sight dovetail though, and that plus the BUIS will add to the cost vs the P01.

Size/Carrying:
The P01 looks smaller, and it is smaller, but the difference is so marginal that I don't really notice one being more concealable than the other. They have the same capacity, basically the same weight. The P07 decocker is plastic and nice and flat, while the P01 decocker is metal and, for reasons I can't discern, sticks out at least as much as the safety. I ground down and rounded off my left side P01 decocker, for this reason and another reason described below, which made it way comfier to carry.

Ergonomics:
Personally I think the P01 just "feels right", for whatever that is worth. The stock grips are ridiculously thicc, but there are tons of great aftermarket options. Personally I value being able to change out side panels far more than being able to change out backstraps, and I love the feeling of a chunk of metal in my hands, especially when there is no weight penalty, so P01 gets the nod as far as grip goes.
As far as controls, I think the P07 is better. The slide has more surface area to grip. The decocker is perfect. The P01 decocker is metal and pokey and stuck out way too much, so I ground it down to a similar width to the P07 decocker. The other reason I ground down the decocker is I found I would sometimes decock the gun in recoil, probably due to a carryover from when I used to run manual safeties and kept constant pressure on the safety. I haven't read about this issue anywhere else, so I think it was a "me" issue.

Reliability:
The P07/09's that I have owned have all been incredibly reliable. Freezing temps, crap ammo, no lube, dirty, assorted hollowpoints, they just plain work. My P01 has never had a jam, but I have nowhere near the track record I have with my P07/09's, so I just don't have that same level of confidence yet. At the very least I am pretty sure the full length frame rails will require more frequent lubrication. The P07/09 is built around the .40SW cartridge so it is overbuilt for 9mm, which is something I find confidence-inspiring. The P01 by contrast is built around 9mm NATO, and I think this is the main reason they weigh the same even though the P01 has an alloy frame.

In conclusion, both are great guns, you won't go wrong picking either. I "like" the P01 better subjectively, but "trust" the P07 to perform better, for reasons described above. The P07 is the G19 of hammer fired blasters, and is objectively the most sensible choice. The P01 is more prettier and, besides price and the decocker issue mentioned above, I don't think it has any significant downsides vs the P07. If you are leaning towards the P01 Omega, I would also suggest considering the standard P01. It avoids the decocker ergo issue described above, and while it does have more parts, for a carry gun you are probably never going to open up the sear cage, so you won't really notice.

JCN
11-19-2022, 02:36 PM
Optics:
The P01 is limited to K cut or similar for optics, though with the HS EPS carry being a thing, I no longer see this as a big downside.

Just as an FYI, my P01 is actually DPP cut.
There’s not much space so you’d have to add the rear DPP sights if you wanted irons.

If you did an RMR you could do the CH drain hole ear sights.

Also note, a K cut hole spacing is the same as a DPP. So if you get a no boss cut, you can do both at once.

So mine is a DPP cut but is wearing a Shield RMSx (K footprint) currently.

claymore504
11-20-2022, 10:11 PM
I own a P07 and a P01 Omega for a few years. To be honest I have gone though a few other P07s already. The first one I let go in a trade because I was dumb. The next one had a really bad DA trigger pull and I could never get it to where I liked it and sold it off. The one I have now is great. The P01 I have is the Omega UG/SR model and it is nice for sure, however the P07 just wors better for me. To be honest I wanted to like the P01 more, but I shoot the P07 much better. I think the P01 is easier to get a better trigger out of due to the aluminum frame. It is just a fact the P07/P09 guns will have very different trigger pulls out of the box and respond different to trigger work. You get the right one though and it will turn out amazing.

The one thing I really do not like about the P07 is the grip texture. My main issue is with the backstrap and the lack of grip texture. I wish it had the texture of the P10 series. Easy fix though with Talon grips, or the method I took was having the backstraps textured. So, if I had to pick it would be the P07. The P01 looks can't be beat, but the P07 just works better for me and it can use my P09 mags as well.

P07 Backstrap texture:
https://i.imgur.com/r1FHbpe.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/bDBposj.jpg?1

Biggy
11-20-2022, 11:26 PM
I own a P07 and a P01 Omega for a few years. To be honest I have gone though a few other P07s already. The first one I let go in a trade because I was dumb. The next one had a really bad DA trigger pull and I could never get it to where I liked it and sold it off. The one I have now is great. The P01 I have is the Omega UG/SR model and it is nice for sure, however the P07 just wors better for me. To be honest I wanted to like the P01 more, but I shoot the P07 much better. I think the P01 is easier to get a better trigger out of due to the aluminum frame. It is just a fact the P07/P09 guns will have very different trigger pulls out of the box and respond different to trigger work. You get the right one though and it will turn out amazing.

The one thing I really do not like about the P07 is the grip texture. My main issue is with the backstrap and the lack of grip texture. I wish it had the texture of the P10 series. Easy fix though with Talon grips, or the method I took was having the backstraps textured. So, if I had to pick it would be the P07. The P01 looks can't be beat, but the P07 just works better for me and it can use my P09 mags as well.

P07 Backstrap texture:
https://i.imgur.com/r1FHbpe.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/bDBposj.jpg?1

I like the curved lower portion of the P-01 backstrap more than the P-07's as it fits the lower part of the palm of my hand better. I also felt the backstap on the P-07 was lacking in effective factory texturing to prevent any slippage in that area. The texturing on your pistols backstrap looks like it would be very effective and cure that issue. Did you do the texturing on the backstrap or did you send it out to have it done ? If you sent it out, who did it.

https://harrysholsters.com/cz-p01-vs-p07/

RennBaer
11-21-2022, 02:21 PM
fatdog

Have you had any issues with that mag extension? It's not printed in the best orientation to withstand the load from the mag spring. I could imagine it blowing apart if you dropped it on the ground.

JCN
11-21-2022, 08:18 PM
Have you had any issues with that mag extension? It's not printed in the best orientation to withstand the load from the mag spring. I could imagine it blowing apart if you dropped it on the ground.

It’s 3D printed so I doubt the robustness if dropped on concrete.

I might consider putting a foam sticky pad on the bottom if I were going to drop it.

That being said, it’s really just to prevent overextension and doesn’t add capacity to a standard 75B mag.

So if running it in a match, I’d start with a normal 75 mag in the gun and insert it gently and then use this for the reload to prevent over insertion at speed. That way this mag wouldn’t get dropped if that makes sense.

claymore504
11-23-2022, 08:21 AM
Biggy

I had the texturing done by Battle ready Arms. I bought a few extra back straps and sent them to him to be done.

https://battlereadyarms.com/

JCN
11-23-2022, 10:37 AM

I may be stuck with these base pads for a G20 so I might concrete drop test them for science….

RennBaer
11-24-2022, 01:43 PM
I may be stuck with these base pads for a G20 so I might concrete drop test them for science….

I'd be interested to find out if they hold up. I've been 3D printing my own base plates and extensions, but the layer lines are oriented parallel to the direction of the spring load and they're printed out of a material that is tough and not brittle. So far I haven't broken any dropping them on the ground at my outdoor range (knock on wood). I haven't tried dropping them on concrete or when they're fully loaded yet.

Hemiram
12-02-2022, 06:09 AM
I have a CZ Custom shop P07, a Sphinx SDP, and the budget sorta Poly Tanfoglio clone SAR CM9 G2. A friend has a worked on, I have no idea who did it, but it's a great shooter, P01, along with the Canik made C100 P01 clone. It's been worked on too, the safety was just crazy stiff when he got it, and the DA pull was almost as heavy as I've ever seen on a pistol that wasn't messed up. It's about the same as my CM9 DA pull now, just a bit smoother.

All the above guns are about as reliable as any guns we have. I would barely put the P01 above the Sphinx and P07 Custom, with the CM9 G2 closer than you might believe for a "cheap gun". Even thouh the C-100 has a slightly smoother trigger, the grip texture is a winner for the CM9, I know it wouldn't be in (IMHO) the excessively aggressive texturing many people like for some reason. I really don't understand why, but it must be me, I much prefer grooves over checkering and "pyramids", such as on the FN FNS guns, I have no trouble holding most any of my guns, even swinging them at high speed and in the case of the CM9, wet hands. The "fingerprint" CM9 grip is just about perfect to me, and I wish I could just glue it onto the other guns, pretty much ALL my guns. I use the mid size back panel, the one it came with, and other than just shooting it a bunch, and some dry fires, it's totally a stock out of the box gun. I did take it almost totally apart and really cleaned it out about 500 rounds in, and that seemed to help quite a bit. One great thing about it being so cheap, well, it was only $250 shipped when I bought it soon after it came out, if you want to go crazy with the soldering iron or Dremel, it's not the end of the world if you go too far with it. I really regret not grabbing a steel framed compact CZ, same size as the P01, when a local store had one. Money wasn't right then, so I passed.

If I had to sell off the above guns, I would probably keep the Sphinx(The machine work is really impressive) and the P01, but I would miss the CM9, it just works and feels right. With the Laserlyte center mass laser on it, I really can't miss anything I can target, as I have crazy steady hands(but they hurt a lot of the time, and when they get cold, WOW) and can put the center beam onto a target with pretty decent speed for an old geezer. I grabbed up a couple of the Laserlyte center mass lasers for $25 a pop when they discontinued them. I have one on the SAR, one on my Sig P220.

WobblyPossum
01-16-2023, 08:41 PM
I've wanted a P-01 since I was a college student and never made it happen. I recently saw the P-01 Omega was being discontinued this year and I've been curious about the Omega trigger system. I decided to order one this evening for $560 shipped from Dahlonega Armory. The price was probably about $30 more than I remember them selling for when I was in college about 14 years ago. It's just going to be a range toy for me. I have no plans to carry or compete with it. For some reason, the P-01 has always been the CZ 75 variant I like the most, appearance-wise.