PDA

View Full Version : Another one!

Wayne Dobbs
11-17-2022, 07:14 PM
We can't keep doing this. No real guns in scenarios, role plays, etc. None.

https://www.wthitv.com/news/police-identify-vermillion-co-deputy-who-they-say-accidentally-shot-a-south-vermillion-student/article_626a0f58-668a-11ed-805f-b3430947aa94.html?fbclid=IwAR3ZhR64Msn1sc8xj-vgADW8JjABSNhHFukfb9uXEfxCraDugyhsEvCwyMc

WobblyPossum
11-17-2022, 09:02 PM
We, as a profession, seem to learn absolutely nothing from our failures. Some individual officers will learn. Maybe the occasional agency learns. Law enforcement as a whole learns nothing.

Le Français
11-17-2022, 10:02 PM
Was the shooter the only one in the room professional enough to handle the Glock .40?

https://youtu.be/vfONckOPyaI

Totem Polar
11-17-2022, 11:07 PM
We can't keep doing this. No real guns in scenarios, role plays, etc. None.

https://www.wthitv.com/news/police-identify-vermillion-co-deputy-who-they-say-accidentally-shot-a-south-vermillion-student/article_626a0f58-668a-11ed-805f-b3430947aa94.html?fbclid=IwAR3ZhR64Msn1sc8xj-vgADW8JjABSNhHFukfb9uXEfxCraDugyhsEvCwyMc

That’s pretty bad. I mean, it should go without saying, but: there is no possible excuse for a Sheriff shooting a high school student who’s in the process of attending a class. Full stop.

Lost River
11-18-2022, 12:23 AM
I would like to say I am surprised, but I am not.

The profession encourages mediocrity and rewards incompetence. The bubbas, the incompetent/screw ups and the turds who are not fit to work on pro active patrol teams get put into the schools to protect the kids. This often is a "promoted" position, so the total screw ups, end up in them. Perfect example is the guy or gal who is 50 pounds overweight, who takes multiple tries to qualify with his/her gun, can't pass a PT test, and can't make an arrest by themselves (always calls for backup, tying up resources).

But they end up getting promoted to SGT, because the schools or agency have grant money. So now you have the bottom of the barrel officer from the department "protecting" our society's most precious resource. Brilliant.

This event that just happened reminded me of the Broward County School Resource Officer. The incompetent older Deputy who was at the school and chose to hide while 17 people were murdered.

Law Enforcement agencies continue to put their incompetent screw ups and people that they don't want on Patrol in the schools instead of putting switched on capable people who are able to handle threats and not do dumb crap like this.

Again, I would like to say I am surprised, but I am not.

At all.

I will say that not all agencies do this, and some have competent SROs in the schools, but sadly they are few and far between. They are very definitely the exception rather than the rule.

It is ridiculous.

FrankB
11-18-2022, 09:44 AM
Several years ago, someone said gun safety involves putting your pistol in its holster, and leaving it there until needed. I’m certain he wasn’t the first person to say that, and I’m certain there wasn’t a reason for this guy to play with his pistol.

mmc45414
11-18-2022, 10:20 AM
Several years ago, someone said gun safety involves putting your pistol in its holster, and leaving it there until needed.
Sometimes I make the analogy that if it would be inappropriate to pull your schlong out of your pants, it is probably inappropriate to pull your pistol out of your pants.

LockedBreech
11-18-2022, 11:22 AM
I've been called an asshole more than once for how insane I am about the safety rules. It's how my dad raised me, and he carried a gun for work for 21 years without issue. More than once I've left a range day or refused to take someone because I felt like they didn't take it seriously. It's a zero-compromise issue.

Shit isn't a joke, you can't take bullets back. In an age of virulent anti-cop sentiment there's no reason to give those idiots MORE ammo, either.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not ragging on anyone for making a mistake. I'm saying mistakes are WHY the rules are there. If you're following the 4 rules this incident isn't possible even if you make a mistake with one of them.

blues
11-18-2022, 11:29 AM
I've only been around a couple of incidents.

One was a famous case, as it was the one that led to Glock having to change the old tupperware cases which had the post that went into the trigger guard. An agent who went on to become ASAC (or higher) put his Glock back into the container at the range...unfortunately it was loaded and he shot himself in the upper leg. He was lucky he didn't bleed out.

Another was when we were using the range at either the Ft. Lauderdale P.D. or Broward Sheriff's Office...can't recall. We were in the conference room adjoining the indoor range and there were signs everywhere, "NO LOADED WEAPONS". Of course, one knucklehead from my outfit must not have felt it applied to him and promptly let off a round in the room while he was handling his weapon. Never saw the Deputy SAC move so quickly as he dove for the floor under a desk.

There just doesn't seem to be a way to stop stupidity short of doing a stop and frisk on every swinging dick in the room or on the range. Sad.

willie
11-18-2022, 01:19 PM
A friend was an Air Force military policeman when the issue pistol was the 1911. He told me that one base's station had a clearing barrel where each guy dry fired his weapon in a barrel of sand at the end of shift. Attached to the barrel was an empty mag painted orange. Procedure required using this mag to lock back the slide, inspect chamber, let slide go for award, and pull trigger with pistol pointing into sand barrel.

RevolverRob
11-18-2022, 03:25 PM
A friend was an Air Force military policeman when the issue pistol was the 1911. He told me that one base's station had a clearing barrel where each guy dry fired his weapon in a barrel of sand at the end of shift. Attached to the barrel was an empty mag painted orange. Procedure required using this mag to lock back the slide, inspect chamber, let slide go for award, and pull trigger with pistol pointing into sand barrel.

And I bet people still put bullets into the clearing barrel.

Joe S
11-18-2022, 04:56 PM
And I bet people still put bullets into the clearing barrel.

This probably says something about my view of most humans, but my immediate thought was that some Private would eventually load a single round in the orange mag for funsies.

UNM1136
11-18-2022, 05:51 PM
A friend of mine who recently retired from the Army in a CoIntel billet, but having spent time in Infantry and ADA battalions, was of the opinion that the reason so many NDs happened in the Army was because the Army trained Soldiers to believe their weapons were unloaded all the time...You know, to reduce accidents.

pat