PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo and Rob's Tools Presents: Advanced Side Saddle

RevolverRob
11-17-2022, 01:48 PM
It started out like this - attaching an Gunner Solutions EZ-8 to the side of my shotgun. I showed it to my colleague Flamingo and we agreed there was something to it. Unfortunately, the EZ8 is big, bulky, and not flat on the backside.

We saw some merit to the idea, it just needed to be smaller, flatter...different. So, I hopped into CAD and started designing - I came up with a 6-shell format and a different approach to create adjustability via wedges.

We wanted adjustable end pieces such that you can adjust the overall length for different length shells (~7mm of overall lateral movement for each section)

We also wanted springs that are hardened spring steel instead of the kydex 'springs' used in the EZ8. The kydex 'springs' make the EZ8 not duty ready, because they can take a 'set' if loaded more than a day or two (per Gunner Solutions included instructions). (Note: Springs here shown longer than they actually will be).

So, I made it slimmer, flatter, adjustable, and I specc'ed out springs. That's all well in virtual format...but how about reality?

Well join us on this new adventure...because the first prototype (3D printed in PLA) is now on the way to us for evaluation:

___

As we evaluate it, we're going to be looking at a few things. We're not sure PLA (nor ever really intended) to be the final construction method. If it goes well, we're thinking to have these molded out of a high quality plastic, like Nylon66 that is strong, light, and durable.

We'll see where it goes!

-Rob

DDTSGM
11-17-2022, 02:50 PM
IMO you have a great concept.

What about retention during rough handling?

RevolverRob
11-17-2022, 03:08 PM
IMO you have a great concept.

What about retention during rough handling?

In theory the leaf springs will provide plenty of retention, by pressing the shells laterally against the carrier end pieces. The springs will also be canted at the top to create an overhang above the top shell to keep the top one from popping up. There isn't a ton of forward and rear movement for the shell specc'ed into the design either. So shell movement due to recoil should hopefully be mitigated.

That's in theory. We'll see if that actually works, of course.

RevolverRob
11-19-2022, 06:36 PM
Y'all, I really couldn't imagine this coming out better. Still have to make springs and mount it...but this is PROMISING...

Cool, it is assembled, but does it fit shells? First some dummies.

But what about shells of a different length like roll or star crimped buckshot?

What about us 20-gauge fans, Rob?

Totem Polar
11-19-2022, 06:40 PM
Awesome.

awp_101
11-19-2022, 09:13 PM
How does the F.A.R.T A.S.S. mount to the shotgun? Does the bulk seem to affect the balance or handling of the shotgun?

RevolverRob
11-19-2022, 10:25 PM
How does the F.A.R.T A.S.S. mount to the shotgun? Does the bulk seem to affect the balance or handling of the shotgun?

Still exploring mounting but the current idea is industrial velcro.

It will move the shells out a tad compared to a velcro side saddle and it is taller. But it is shorter in length, so you should be able to move it around for better balance. We'll see once I get my velcro tomorrow and slap it on the side of the gun.

Depending on what we make these from, I might be able to shrink all the dimensions a bit. The 3D PLA variant weighs about 2.5 ounces.

UNM1136
11-20-2022, 06:26 AM
Intersting... not taking the sidesaddle off yet...

But seriously. Darryl Bolke and TCinVA need examples....ASAP.

pat

RevolverRob
11-20-2022, 10:46 PM
Intersting... not taking the sidesaddle off yet...

But seriously. Darryl Bolke and TCinVA need examples....ASAP.

pat

Not ready for heavy duty testing yet. We managed to crack the prototype this afternoon just working to make some temporary kydex springs (all my metal working equipment is currently packed up). Nothing some superglue couldn't fix. But PLA definitely not ready for the big leagues (I didn't think it was up to that task, to be honest).

But "springs" were made and I have the proto velcroed on the side of my gun. I played with manipulations for awhile tonight trying different things.

I also loaded it with buckshot and don't find the balance appreciably different than a normal side saddle.

willie
11-21-2022, 05:39 PM
Consider a highly streamlined version holding two shells. Also, can you make a cheap 1 shot extension for 870's and 590 series shoguns? You might look at an assortment of plumbing supply plastic pipe caps to see if available examples could be threaded.

RevolverRob
11-25-2022, 12:43 PM
Some comparisons with a 20-gauge Mesa Tactical side saddle.

p/ClZIaZDP4rr