PDA

View Full Version : PX4 manual safety

TheNewbie
11-10-2022, 04:37 PM
How useable is the manual safety on the PX4? How does it compare to the 92?

The 92 safety is not perfect, but it can be used effectively with some training and practice. With practice, the 92 can be taken off safe pretty easily.

I know most people use the "G" model, but I am curious what the manual safety version is like.

JTQ
11-10-2022, 04:38 PM
It is wide and pointy. I'd think if you can access a 92FS lever, you'd be able to access the PX4 lever.

Noah
11-10-2022, 04:40 PM

The 92 safety is not perfect, but it can be used effectively with some training and practice. With practice, the 92 can be taken off safe pretty easily.

I know most people use the "G" model, but I am curious what the manual safety version is like.

Its awful, nothing like a 92 which can actually be swept down/forward like a 1911. But they actually make a 92 style safety lever for the PX4 which is what you want.

JTQ
11-10-2022, 04:54 PM
Depending on how accurate this is, it was developed after a request from the Rochester Police Dept.

Skip to about the 12:25 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyEPXWlsa8

TheNewbie
11-10-2022, 06:20 PM
Its awful, nothing like a 92 which can actually be swept down/forward like a 1911. But they actually make a 92 style safety lever for the PX4 which is what you want.

https://langdontactical.com/px4-safety-levers-92-style/

Like that? Would it sweep off like the 92?

Noah
11-10-2022, 06:28 PM
https://langdontactical.com/px4-safety-levers-92-style/

Like that? Would it sweep off like the 92?

That one, yep! I've never used one because I'm a G decock only guy. But I'd say the chances of that being as usable as the 92 safety are a lot higher than the stock levers.

PX4 Storm Tracker
11-10-2022, 06:35 PM

I have a few students that have PX4 Storms that run them as type F, with the safety engaged. They holster them with the safety on and pull them out of the holster for drawing practice and deactivate the safety as a part of the presentation.

We have found that similar to a bias against a double action pull, if you have not been convinced by other people that the safety is too hard to deactivate, then with a little bit of training you become good at it, it becomes a habit and it doesn't slow you down much at all.

It can also be swept with a downward thumb motion, similar to the 1911 or the model 92. Adding a little bit of forward motion to your thumb makes it a bit easier. But, it is not that hard IMO.

TheNewbie
11-10-2022, 06:36 PM
I have a few students that have PX4 Storms that run them as type F, with the safety engaged. They holster them with the safety on and pull them out of the holster for drawing practice and deactivate the safety as a part of the presentation.

We have found that similar to a bias against a double action pull, if you have not been convinced by other people that the safety is too hard to deactivate, then with a little bit of training you become good at it, it becomes a habit and it doesn't slow you down much at all.

It can also be swept with a downward thumb motion, similar to the 1911 or the model 92. Adding a little bit of forward motion to your thumb makes it a bit easier. But, it is not that hard IMO.

Thank you and to everyone else who has replied.

Do you also think the 92 style levers would help?

PX4 Storm Tracker
11-10-2022, 06:40 PM
That one, yep! I've never used one because I'm a G decock only guy. But I'd say the chances of that being as usable as the 92 safety are a lot higher than the stock levers.

One of the complaints about the M9 and the model 92fs was the lever angle being able to be accidentally put on safe while racking the slide.
Both the PX4 Storm and the newer versions of the model 92 have corrected that by a slight more upward angle of the levers.
This might detract from getting a similar somewhat downward push on the levers as the 92fs used to have.

PX4 Storm Tracker
11-10-2022, 06:46 PM
...Do you also think the 92 style levers would help?

The model 92 style levers for the PX4 Storm do give you a smoother surface, which could be good or could be bad.
They are wider and you might have more trouble with holsters that are made for the stock levers. But, that same feeling of sharpness of the stock levers (that some would not like) gives a more sure grip to your thumb when deactivating the safety in a hurry.