PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of building a 10/22, or, help me spend money

Jared
10-31-2022, 03:46 PM
So I’m thinking of building up a Ruger 10/22. I’ve never modified a 10/22 before but I understand they are pretty simple. My requirements are:

Light weight. I handled one once upon a time that had a thick contour carbon fiber barrel and it was very light. I liked that. Is carbon fiber still king? Is Vopquartsen still the go-to place? Has something newer and better come along in the 15 years since I was really paying attention?

I want a youth length stock. Where’s a good place to get a good youth length stock without spending a fortune? I know thumb hole types are popular now, but I’d prefer something slightly more traditional.

Does it just make more sense to look up a 10/22 Lite and skip out on the “custom” work? I know sometimes it’s really a whole lot easier and cheaper to just buy the factory option and skip all the money/time pit stuff. I also highly value reliability on this rig. I don’t want to have to have premium ammo for it to run, in part because it’s gonna be a heavy use plinker in addition to other roles.

I’m probably going with a red dot optic as opposed to magnified glass, if that alters anyone’s thinking.

OlongJohnson
10-31-2022, 05:27 PM
I think we did this thread last year. At least, I remember one that caused me to go around the loop of looking into building one, and deciding it was an expensive rabbit hole that I had better things than to pursue.

Jared
10-31-2022, 05:31 PM
I think we did this thread last year. At least, I remember one that caused me to go around the loop of looking into building one, and deciding it was an expensive rabbit hole that I had better things than to pursue.

Thanks, I searched a few times but couldn’t find anything, perhaps I need to try again.

OlongJohnson
10-31-2022, 05:35 PM
Huh. It wasn't that long ago. Time flies. And I forgot I actually started it. Found in the top few results when searching the site for "10/22 thread."

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?53294-Rifles-built-on-non-Ruger-aftermarket-10-22-receivers

medmo
10-31-2022, 08:06 PM
My suggestion? Get a S&W AR22 rifle or pistol and Voila!, it's done. I do love the 10/22 but to me, it's kind of nostalgic. The AR22 comes out of the box lightweight, accurate, feeds about everything well, and is ready for you to bolt on what ever accessory you need including a standard thread for a suppressor.

David S.
10-31-2022, 08:18 PM
A major problem (for me) with the S&W AR-15/22 is that Project Appleseed still bans it from their events.

If I were in the market for a 10/22, I'd look hard at the Thompson TC22.

Pnut
11-01-2022, 12:03 AM
I guess it all depends on your intended use and budget. If it’s just going to be a fun plinker, just start with a basic 10/22. Shoot it a bit and see what needs to be changed for YOU. That’s the beauty of the 10/22 and it’s clones… there is so much aftermarket for it. There are whole forums dedicated to it.

LittleLebowski
11-01-2022, 06:25 AM
A major problem (for me) with the S&W AR-15/22 is that Project Appleseed still bans it from their events.

That’s dumb.

jlw
11-01-2022, 07:38 AM
That’s dumb.

The S&W is specifically banned. It’s not an AR-pattern thing.

They had a couple of incidents with the S&W. I don’t recall the specifics.

——————

The Thompson Center 10/22 clones are a better buy than the Rugers. They come with a Magpul stock, ghost ring/fiber optics sights, threaded barrel, and the T/C mags have a bolt hold open feature.

Moylan
11-01-2022, 08:21 AM
As of about a year ago, the S&W 15/22 is once again permitted at Appleseed events.

The decision to ban this rifle was based on a number of documented problems on our firing lines, including one case where a student was injured when a 15/22 fired out of battery. Smith and Wesson eventually took notice of the problem with their rifle and has taken steps to address it. See here (http://https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22-consumer-safety-alert). The shoot boss at any Project Appleseed rifle event will have a bolt inspection tool on hand to allow checking any 15/22 that shows up on the line. Given that inspection, shooters may use their 15/22's at Appleseed events. The safety of our students is the primary concern on our firing lines.

UncleGabby
11-01-2022, 08:30 AM
Here is a pic of my stupid 10/22. Stupid because I started with a run of the mill 10/22 takedown and have spent a stupid amount of money on it. The basic rifle wasn’t very accurate, so I swapped out the barrel for a Volquartsen, then needed a different chasis, so I put it in a Midwest Industries chasis. At this point, I get a bolt and receiver and now I have two rifles. I have only had it to the range once but it was definitely more accurate.96471

mmc45414
11-01-2022, 08:46 AM
I put it in a Midwest Industries chassis.
This is the one I want!

UncleGabby
11-01-2022, 09:06 AM
This is the one I want!

The Volquartsen barrel didn’t want to line up squarely with the forend, but other than that it’s very nice.

mmc45414
11-01-2022, 09:15 AM
The Volquartsen barrel didn’t want to line up squarely with the forend, but other than that it’s very nice.
I am thinking of buying the MI chassis and dropping my current rifle into it to confirm I like it.

alamo5000
11-01-2022, 09:39 AM
So I’m thinking of building up a Ruger 10/22. I’ve never modified a 10/22 before but I understand they are pretty simple. My requirements are:

Light weight. I handled one once upon a time that had a thick contour carbon fiber barrel and it was very light. I liked that. Is carbon fiber still king? Is Vopquartsen still the go-to place? Has something newer and better come along in the 15 years since I was really paying attention?

I want a youth length stock. Where’s a good place to get a good youth length stock without spending a fortune? I know thumb hole types are popular now, but I’d prefer something slightly more traditional.

Does it just make more sense to look up a 10/22 Lite and skip out on the “custom” work? I know sometimes it’s really a whole lot easier and cheaper to just buy the factory option and skip all the money/time pit stuff. I also highly value reliability on this rig. I don’t want to have to have premium ammo for it to run, in part because it’s gonna be a heavy use plinker in addition to other roles.

I’m probably going with a red dot optic as opposed to magnified glass, if that alters anyone’s thinking.

I don't know about anyone else, but after a lot of research I built up a 100% Kidd 10/22. I wouldn't go any other way and have actually considered doing it again.

About the only thing I might do differently would be to use an 18" barrel instead of a 16" barrel. Maybe.

I went to a gun show and I found a booth where you could try out tons of triggers. Click, good. Click, ok. Click, nice. Click, ohhhh WOOOW!!!

In my opinion Kidd was head and shoulders above all the rest.

Regarding 22 pistols Volquartsen has no competitors that I know of, but for 10/22, Kidd is the king.

jlw
11-01-2022, 01:14 PM
As of about a year ago, the S&W 15/22 is once again permitted at Appleseed events.

The decision to ban this rifle was based on a number of documented problems on our firing lines, including one case where a student was injured when a 15/22 fired out of battery. Smith and Wesson eventually took notice of the problem with their rifle and has taken steps to address it. See here (http://https://www.smith-wesson.com/mp15-22-consumer-safety-alert). The shoot boss at any Project Appleseed rifle event will have a bolt inspection tool on hand to allow checking any 15/22 that shows up on the line. Given that inspection, shooters may use their 15/22's at Appleseed events. The safety of our students is the primary concern on our firing lines.

That's good to know. I ordered one of the gauges to check mine.

Tannhauser
11-01-2022, 02:45 PM

The least expensive way to do what you want is to buy a Ruger 10/22 Compact and add a red dot.

16” carbine barrel and 12.5” LOP. The standard carbine barrels are pretty light and usually fine shooters.

Having modified multiple Ruger 10/22s, at this point if I can’t find a factory rifle close to what I want as an end user, I just buy a receiver and build it up from scratch.

jlw
11-01-2022, 04:26 PM
This is the T/C that I mentioned upthread:

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/semi-automatic/t-cr22

https://www.tcarms.com/images/uploads/models/prod_nav_tcr22_camo_12300.png

Jared
11-01-2022, 07:32 PM
The least expensive way to do what you want is to buy a Ruger 10/22 Compact and add a red dot.

16” carbine barrel and 12.5” LOP. The standard carbine barrels are pretty light and usually fine shooters.

Having modified multiple Ruger 10/22s, at this point if I can’t find a factory rifle close to what I want as an end user, I just buy a receiver and build it up from scratch.

I may well do exactly this. That or just buy a used carbine (they are everywhere around here)and toss it in a Magpul stock and a Ruger BX22 trigger. I can accept the extra 2” of barrel. I don’t necessarily want/need 1/4” groups at 50 yards as this is a way to introduce someone near and dear to me to plinking (and for me to play with too).

So why not the S&W 15-22? Because I have a lot of 10/22 mags around as I’ve always had a fondness for the little Ruger carbine and that’s caused me to accumulate some things for them, like mags. That and I’m frankly a little bored with everything being AR patterned.

Pistol Pete 10
11-01-2022, 07:49 PM

Pistol Pete 10
11-01-2022, 07:54 PM
I'd suggest you get a standard carbine, get a trigger job, shoot it and see how it performs. It may be all you need. I have 4 10 /22s. two carbines, a Deluxe Sporter and a heavy bbl with laminated stock. I shoot one of the standards with a peep sight most of the time. All 4 have some kind of trigger job. The factory 7 lb trigger pull is just too much. I prefer 3# or maybe a little less. Don't discount the standard rifles, one with a plastic stock may be lighter than wood.

awp_101
11-02-2022, 06:35 AM
As a member of 10/22s Anonymous, here’s some things to consider.

Which is more important, the end result or the actual sourcing and building? If the end result is more important I’d look at Kidd and Volquartsen for whatever best matches your criteria. Next choice would be a factory option with an upgraded trigger.

For a plinker I’d generally avoid match chambers. IIRC the Bentz chamber is a hybrid that’s tighter than factory but not as tight as a true match chamber.

TACCOM3G has 16” lightweight barrels that are really 5.5” (or maybe 6”, I don’t remember offhand) with a permanently attached aluminum(?) shroud to keep it legal. I’ve got one but haven’t installed it yet.

Don’t know about youth stocks, but PMACA makes chassis that take AR stocks so an adjustable stock is an option.

TWR
11-07-2022, 09:53 PM
I wanted a 10/22 that was light and accurate. I went with a standard profile 16” threaded Fedderson barrel. Hogue nylon stock (not the rubber over molded) I used the Volquartsen action and trigger kit. Added a Sig Romeo 5 and a BCM mod 0 brake because I had it and I don’t shoot my suppressor as much as I thought I would.

https://i.postimg.cc/YCWx567v/A71056EE-356F-4ABA-8441-444D3407F313.jpg (https://postimg.cc/WdsrrJhV)

The gun shot great but I felt guilty with the red dot on there so I ordered a Trijicon Ascent 1-4 and sure enough the first 5 shot group I shot at 50 yards was just under 1/2” with CCI SV ammo, I need to try my stash of real target ammo one day.

https://i.postimg.cc/j2gZ1vcd/B04-A79-A7-C7-CA-44-F9-B9-D3-8-D81-F75-CE55-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/N2X696ZW)

This turned out to be one of my favorite 22’s but if I needed the youth stock, I’d just buy the youth gun and swap out the barrel with a Fedderson and address the trigger with Volquartsen. Short, light, trim and handy. That’s what a 10/22 needs to be.