PDA

View Full Version : 365 Macro accuracy problem

GJM
10-29-2022, 06:36 PM
Back in the summer, I got my wife a 365 Spectre Comp and a EPS Carry. We didn't spend too many sessions shooting it, but at 25 yards and further, it struggled with accuracy. Ever since the 365 Macro came out, I have been wondering about accuracy at distance, but haven't seen reports. I recently picked up a 365 Macro, and last night installed a 407K, which I rough zeroed with a Wheeler green laser sighter. Generally that gets me within an inch or two at 25 yards.

After shooting my Open gun and a Glock this afternoon, I got to shoot the Macro. My initial impressions were that it was a great shooting pistol. After 50 rounds or so of AE 124, I decided to check the zero on a USPSA head box at 15 yards. It seemed like my group was wandering in windage, and I ended up making a number of adjustments without getting a satisfactory zero. I changed to Lawman 124, thinking the American Eagle was a problem, and got the same result. I then painted an eight inch steel at 25 yards, and was using the whole steel.

I asked my wife to shoot it, as she often shoots better groups than me. Also, the 365 is her EDC and she competes with a 320, so she is very Sig centric. At 15 yards on a head box, it was as if she had two groups with elevation fine, but windage the issue. At 25 yards, she couldn't keep all five of her shots on the head box. I painted the steel, and she was using the entire eight inch steel, with a pattern not a group.

I painted the steel again, and shot Lawman at 25, getting this group which was similar to what she was getting.

Disgusted, we decided to take the 365X slide off her EDC, and drop it on the Macro lower. I shot a quick five shot group at 25 and got this.

Unless we got two very unlucky uppers, I believe Sig has a problem with the upper on the Spectre Comp/Macro pistols. I really like the Macro grip module and magazines, but no way am I carrying that upper given how well the 365/365XL/PMM barrel and comps shoot at 25 yards and further.

Up1911Fan
10-29-2022, 08:10 PM
I bought a Macro lower and mags off Gunbroker as I wasn't interested in the Spectre upper. Pulled a P365XL slide with an EPS Carry slide off one of my XL's and put it one the Macro lower and shot this 10 shot group at 25. Obviously windage is a touch off, but the dot was zeroed with a different FCU. I'll be sticking to the regular slides, may try out a PMM Comp at some point though.

Clusterfrack
10-29-2022, 08:26 PM
The Browning action is so simple, yet not trivial to design a particular instance of it. M&P is a great example of that, and I’m not at all surprised to see Sig handing off the R&D to early adopters.

JCS
10-29-2022, 09:30 PM
Mine shoots a fist sized group at 25 yards if I do my part. I was surprised at how accurate it was.

GJM
10-29-2022, 09:38 PM
Mine shoots a fist sized group at 25 yards if I do my part. I was surprised at how accurate it was.

Can you translate that into inches?

G19Fan
10-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Sample of 6 but mine have had no issue scoring above 94 on a B8 at 25 (macro slide)

That said I keep selling the macro slides and run xl slides

GJM
10-29-2022, 10:50 PM
Sample of 6 but mine have had no issue scoring above 94 on a B8 at 25 (macro slide)

That said I keep selling the macro slides and run xl slides

What ammo you running?

G19Fan
10-29-2022, 10:53 PM
What ammo you running?

Have tried with

124 hst
147 hst
115 tula
124 magtech
124 s&b

Standard zero is 124 hst

GJM
10-30-2022, 07:46 AM
Are you saying that the Macro slides shoot as well as a 365 or XL slide, or that Macro slides shoot well enough for you?

G19Fan
10-30-2022, 02:13 PM
Are you saying that the Macro slides shoot as well as a 365 or XL slide, or that Macro slides shoot well enough for you?

Mine shoot slightly less well than an xl slide but stil no issues at 25 yards. On par with any p365 slides I have had

GJM
10-30-2022, 05:37 PM
While I am unwilling to make this a major project, given how well the other 365 slides shoot, I am mildly curious as to what is going on. In case there is some interaction between the FCU and upper influencing accuracy, I split a Macro and XL, putting the Macro upper on a known vetted 365XL lower, and put that XL upper on the Macro lower. B8 at 25 yards, freestyle, Holosun optics on both, Lawman 115 in both pistols. Here was the five round group with Macro upper on the XL lower, with all the presses feeling fine.

I immediately repeated the same with the XL upper on the Macro lower, and here was the group.

Next, I took the Macro lower/XL upper and shot the array my wife set up for her CO practice. Shot it three times, different order each time. I really like how the Macro grip module feels.

https://youtu.be/bcYHfag47pM

Back on groups, I shot 25 yard groups with the Canik and my Open gun, and they were both 2-2.5 inches at 25. The very last thing I did was shoot my G45 Acro that I recently dragged through 1.3 inches of 38 degree rain, and a foot of snow the day after. Shot it from a jackass sitting rest with Lawman at 35 yards. I felt like I was introducing some parallax with my head position.

JCN
10-30-2022, 08:28 PM
While I am unwilling to make this a major project, given how well the other 365 slides shoot, I am mildly curious as to what is going on. In case there is some interaction between the FCU and upper influencing accuracy, I split a Macro and XL, putting the Macro upper on a known vetted 365XL lower, and put that XL upper on the Macro lower. B8 at 25 yards, freestyle, Holosun optics on both, Lawman 115 in both pistols. Here was the five round group with Macro upper on the XL lower, with all the presses feeling fine.

I immediately repeated the same with the XL upper on the Macro lower, and here was the group.

Next, I took the Macro lower/XL upper and shot the array my wife set up for her CO practice. Shot it three times, different order each time. I really like how the Macro grip module feels.

Back on groups, I shot 25 yard groups with the Canik and my Open gun, and they were both 2-2.5 inches at 25. The very last thing I did was shoot my G45 Acro that I recently dragged through 1.3 inches of 38 degree rain, and a foot of snow the day after. Shot it from a jackass sitting rest with Lawman at 35 yards. I felt like I was introducing some parallax with my head position.

I’m confused.

Are you concerned about mechanical accuracy of the macro upper or are you concerned about the shootability of the gun (which is something completely different).

I thought you were talking about the former but then you wandered off into the latter.

1. The comparison for the Macro / Spectre comp slide isn’t the XL. It’s the regular 365.

2. It has to be done from the most stable bench rest possible. Not freestyle where trigger, muzzle inertia and grip geometry and width come into play.

3. You also might confirm that your ammo out of that barrel isn’t just transsonic (unlikely to be a significant factor). Sig crown 115 out of a P365 is 1050 fps which is just at sound barrier.

For science the experiment would be macro frame with TLR1 and three slides. Regular P365 slide, macro slide and XL slide and compare shooting 147 grain which will be subsonic in all.

The standard macro is incredibly unforgiving for long distance shooting because of the lack of muzzle weight and the thin grip front / back straps.

I have to work incredibly hard to get groups even near a heavier frame gun with a lighter, shorter trigger.

But when I do my part:

MickAK
10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
While I am unwilling to make this a major project,

While this would make it a major project, the adoption of it by a qualified gunsmith would make a lot of these questions minor projects.

I've often thought while reading posts like this that of there was an interested independent gunsmith willing to invest in 3D scanning equipment a lot of these questions could be quickly figured out and the information relayed to the manufacturer without any room for the manufacturer to claim user error.

https://3space.com/3d-scanning-parts-for-cnc-machining-part-inspection/

I feel like that gunsmith would get a lot of business and the availability of the service would advance new models a lot quicker without back and forth issues between users and the manufacturer.

JCN
10-31-2022, 04:28 AM
The standard macro is incredibly unforgiving for long distance shooting because of the lack of muzzle weight and the thin grip front / back straps.

I have to work incredibly hard to get groups even near a heavier frame gun with a lighter, shorter trigger.

That should say “the standard P365 slide is incredibly unforgiving…”

Small guns and short slides are much harder to shoot well.

Think snub J frame versus 4”. Regardless of grip size / length, less inertia in the muzzle makes it more sensitive to trigger press deflection.

JCN
10-31-2022, 02:12 PM
This is about as good of a group as I can get from a P365 SAS.

But I had to work really hard to get that from a rest.

That I was able to do so means the barrel and mechanical operation is just fine.

That I had to work so hard, means the gun is harder to shoot well.

Which isn’t a huge shocker.

Small guns are small.

JCS
10-31-2022, 03:14 PM
Can you translate that into inches?

4.5ish inches.

I’m not a group shooter so I would imagine it’s mechanically capable of much more than I can get out of it. This was using some reloads I use for uspsa.

GJM
10-31-2022, 05:17 PM
4.5ish inches.

I’m not a group shooter so I would imagine it’s mechanically capable of much more than I can get out of it. This was using some reloads I use for uspsa.

I would be interested in you shooting the Macro upper and either a 365 or XL upper, and comparing groups.

Just got back from the range, and the first thing I did was staple up a B8 at 25 yards. I had my wife shoot a five shot group with the complete Macro. We used the same box of 115 Lawman for this exercise.

Here was her group, six inches or so.

Then we took the 365X slide off her carry gun, and had her shoot a group with the 365X slide on the Macro lower. She said she pulled one shot (this was all freestyle, unsupported). You can see the short slide on the Macro lower.

Before we left, I shot one group with the 365X slide on the Macro lower.

My experience is that short barrels are not inaccurate. Prior to the Gen 5 pistols, I found Gen 3 and 4 34 pistols to be the least accurate of the range of models 26 - 34, I have been told by someone who knows, that excepting match 1911 pistols, that in 50 yard testing by a three letter agency that begins with an F, the 26 was the most accurate pistol they tested.

Back to the Macro and Spectre Comp uppers, there appears to be something going on that makes them less accurate than 365X and XL pistols.

Spartan1980
10-31-2022, 05:45 PM
Back to the Macro and Spectre Comp uppers, there appears to be something going on that makes them less accurate than 365X and XL pistols.

My bet goes on the comp built into the slide is putting pressure on one side of the bullet after it’s left the barrel destabilizing it. But that wouldn’t really square with a normally attached comp not doing the same thing? I don’t know but the comp being integral to the slide just seems sketchy. Surely they have the unlock delayed enough for the bullet to clear? Do you get primer smear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCN
10-31-2022, 07:28 PM

That’s pretty good data, thanks for doing that.

The groups didn’t seem much different except for fliers on that sample size, but assuming that there is something wrong with the macro…

It might be related to the lack of bushing surface compared to a stock slide and possibility of gas interference with the slide comp that doesn’t tilt with the barrel.

It also might be worth it to entertain the thought that thumb dragging on slide habits could make things worse and more inconsistent.

JCS
11-01-2022, 05:32 PM
I would be interested in you shooting the Macro upper and either a 365 or XL upper, and comparing groups.

Just got back from the range, and the first thing I did was staple up a B8 at 25 yards. I had my wife shoot a five shot group with the complete Macro. We used the same box of 115 Lawman for this exercise.

Here was her group, six inches or so.

Then we took the 365X slide off her carry gun, and had her shoot a group with the 365X slide on the Macro lower. She said she pulled one shot (this was all freestyle, unsupported). You can see the short slide on the Macro lower.

Before we left, I shot one group with the 365X slide on the Macro lower.

My experience is that short barrels are not inaccurate. Prior to the Gen 5 pistols, I found Gen 3 and 4 34 pistols to be the least accurate of the range of models 26 - 34, I have been told by someone who knows, that excepting match 1911 pistols, that in 50 yard testing by a three letter agency that begins with an F, the 26 was the most accurate pistol they tested.

I have all three so I can test it Next time I get to the range.

GJM
11-01-2022, 05:36 PM
I have all three so I can test it Next time I get to the range.

I am sending my Macro upper to YVK to compare against his two 365X uppers.

Deaf Smith
11-01-2022, 05:41 PM
I have several P365s.. one an XL with Wilson grip and the others plain P365s. One is a dedicated practice gun.

Now I am a Glock man (and 1911 man and S&W K frame man) but... these P365s are the slickest CCW guns I have ever came across (and I say that being a gun nut at age 16.. and I'm 68 now!)

I have zero accuracy problems with the Sig P-365 in any flavor but... I don't swap slides.

And my favorite practice load is using a 95gr (.380) fmj with same power charge I use for 125s using Unique power. The guns kick much less and it allows me to hip shoot one handed with ease for lots of practice (you see I have thousands of those 95 grain pills!!)

I am definitely sold on the P365 platform.

G19Fan
11-01-2022, 10:51 PM
I am sending my Macro upper to YVK to compare against his two 365X uppers.

If I get another macro upper I will document some tests too!

HTM
11-02-2022, 08:52 AM

Back in the day of single spring recoil springs my Gen3 G26 was more accurate than my Gen3 G17. We attributed it to the tighter lock up from the spring during the trigger pull. Which I got affirmation of from a engineer inside a certain company. I don't think that's an issue these days.

45dotACP
11-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Back in the day of single spring recoil springs my Gen3 G26 was more accurate than my Gen3 G17. We attributed it to the tighter lock up from the spring during the trigger pull. Which I got affirmation of from a engineer inside a certain company. I don't think that's an issue these days.Possibly the reason the .45 models are more accurate too? Given that they're probably sprung heavier than the 9mm?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

HTM
11-03-2022, 01:53 PM
Possibly the reason the .45 models are more accurate too? Given that they're probably sprung heavier than the 9mm?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Possibly. I also consider the G21's to be very accurate in part because of the Octagonal polygonal rifling vs the Hexanol polygonal rifling in the smaller calibers. Possibly due to the greater bullet surface area. I'm not a ballistic expert by any stretch.

Robert Mitchum
11-05-2022, 04:13 AM
8:15 into the video he shoots a 25-yard group off of bags.

https://youtu.be/JYgSa2Wym3o

Maca
11-05-2022, 07:15 AM
And in his previous video review of the spectre comp, the group was equally tight.

GJM
11-05-2022, 07:51 AM
And in his previous video review of the spectre comp, the group was equally tight.

I saw that, and noted he was shooting Gold Dot 124+P. I need to try that load.

G19Fan
11-05-2022, 10:24 AM
8:15 into the video he shoots a 25-yard group off of bags.

https://youtu.be/JYgSa2Wym3o

Beat me to this post haha

Corse
11-05-2022, 10:39 AM
I saw that, and noted he was shooting Gold Dot 124+P. I need to try that load.

With a couple XLs, I’ve gotten good accuracy with the 124gr.

GJM
11-05-2022, 12:51 PM
Beat me to this post haha

The way I zero, I never got to Gold Dot. I get it close with the Wheeler, then shoot AE or Lawman 115/124. Once I am happy with a rough zero, I shoot Gold Dit and make any final adjustments.

YVK has my Macro upper now, and I will ask him to try Gold Dot right off, and a few ball loads to look for any difference. I have a Spectre Comp and will try that with Gold Dot in the next day or two. Hoping this solves it, although I am still perplexed why the 365 and XL shoot the AE and Lawman so well.

G19Fan
11-05-2022, 12:53 PM
The way I zero, I never got to Gold Dot. I get it close with the Wheeler, then shoot AE or Lawman 115/124. Once I am happy with a rough zero, I shoot Gold Dit and make any final adjustments.

YVK has my Macro upper now, and I will ask him to try Gold Dot right off, and a few ball loads to look for any difference. I have a Spectre Comp and will try that with Gold Dot in the next day or two. Hoping this solves it, although I am still perplexed why the 365 and XL shoot the AE and Lawman so well.

I zero with 124 hst or gold dot (depending if I run out of hst)

But it shoots random ammo fine (adjusting got 25 yard poa/poi shift of course)

YVK
11-05-2022, 07:20 PM
GJM didn't get ahold of me in time and I didn't take Gold Dots to the range. I shot his Macro upper mounted on a Wilson XL grip with a 115 gr Lawman. My findings mirrored his. PMM - Macro - Macro - PMM sequence yielded tight - wide - wide - tight groups at 25 yards. This was done after a warm-up and unsupported.
PMM comp works better than Macro comp but that's expected.

GJM
11-05-2022, 07:42 PM
GJM didn't get ahold of me in time and I didn't take Gold Dots to the range. I shot his Macro upper mounted on a Wilson XL grip with a 115 gr Lawman. My findings mirrored his. PMM - Macro - Macro - PMM sequence yielded tight - wide - wide - tight groups at 25 yards. This was done after a warm-up and unsupported.
PMM comp works better than Macro comp but that's expected.

Now that three different shooters on different days have observed this, a few possibilities come to mind:

1) there is something wrong with this particular Macro upper and our Spectre comp upper.

2) these uppers shoot Gold Dot well and mainstream quality ball less good.

3) Aaron got a "good" upper.

YVK
11-05-2022, 07:56 PM
Maybe it is the upper and that's your luck. I mean, you got one Glock slide that doesn't run with the Radian. I hope that they make a true length barrel for it, maybe it'll tighten it up. That slide comp felt like a gimmick to me.

G19Fan
11-05-2022, 10:15 PM
Now that three different shooters on different days have observed this, a few possibilities come to mind:

1) there is something wrong with this particular Macro upper and our Spectre comp upper.

2) these uppers shoot Gold Dot well and mainstream quality ball less good.

3) Aaron got a "good" upper.

Could very well be a mix of all of the above

GJM
11-06-2022, 05:42 PM
Since YVK has the Macro upper, my wife and I brought the Spectre Comp upper out today, along with a pistol rest and some Gold Dot 124+P ammo. Before describing our results, I want to mention that we frequently saw one shot further from the group. I saw this before, shooting a Glock 17 at 100 yards, with the initial hand cycled round being a flyer. For our testing, we loaded five rounds each time and hand cycled the first round. Makes me wonder what Sage and others did in their testing.

We had a pistol rest at 25 yards, and also shot freestyle. This was my first five rounds of AE 115 at 25 yards through the Spectre Comp upper and Macro lower, from the rest. I hesitate to call it a group.

Same combination, but shot freestyle.

Next I shot Gold Dot, from the rest.

Then I shot Gold Dot freestyle.

Then my wife shot Gold Dot freestyle.

From this shooting, it seems like the Macro shoots AE ball poorly. It shoots Gold Dot 124+P better, but not outstanding. There is a definite tendency to one shot being a flyer, and I believe it is the first shot, hand cycled.

Then my wife shot the XL upper on the Macro lower freestyle at 25.

Then I shot Gold Dot freestyle same configuration and distance.

Maybe I am not a talented bench shooter, but I didn't see any advantage shooting rested compared to freestyle, and maybe was more accurate freestyle.

I went on to do some array shooting with the XL/Macro combination, and really enjoyed it. I do notice the smaller display, and needed to turn the dot intensity up, to quickly pick up the dot in fast shooting. Doing doubles, I saw .16-.17 splits, so I don't feel the XL slide was holding me back for EDC style shooting.

JCN
11-06-2022, 07:12 PM
GJM

For Christmas I’m going to buy you two paster guns….

G19Fan
11-07-2022, 12:46 PM
Since YVK has the Macro upper, my wife and I brought the Spectre Comp upper out today, along with a pistol rest and some Gold Dot 124+P ammo. Before describing our results, I want to mention that we frequently saw one shot further from the group. I saw this before, shooting a Glock 17 at 100 yards, with the initial hand cycled round being a flyer. For our testing, we loaded five rounds each time and hand cycled the first round. Makes me wonder what Sage and others did in their testing.

We had a pistol rest at 25 yards, and also shot freestyle. This was my first five rounds of AE 115 at 25 yards through the Spectre Comp upper and Macro lower, from the rest. I hesitate to call it a group.

Same combination, but shot freestyle.

Next I shot Gold Dot, from the rest.

Then I shot Gold Dot freestyle.

Then my wife shot Gold Dot freestyle.

From this shooting, it seems like the Macro shoots AE ball poorly. It shoots Gold Dot 124+P better, but not outstanding. There is a definite tendency to one shot being a flyer, and I believe it is the first shot, hand cycled.

Then my wife shot the XL upper on the Macro lower freestyle at 25.

Then I shot Gold Dot freestyle same configuration and distance.

Maybe I am not a talented bench shooter, but I didn't see any advantage shooting rested compared to freestyle, and maybe was more accurate freestyle.

I went on to do some array shooting with the XL/Macro combination, and really enjoyed it. I do notice the smaller display, and needed to turn the dot intensity up, to quickly pick up the dot in fast shooting. Doing doubles, I saw .16-.17 splits, so I don't feel the XL slide was holding me back for EDC style shooting.

Your xl slide results mimic mine.

Your spectre results are a little worse than mine but not too much off a p365 for me vs an xl

I def do see a first shot variance

RJ
11-07-2022, 01:41 PM
YVK GJM I think the answer is ‘yes’ but in general is an XL slide on a Macro lower gtg?

YVK
11-07-2022, 01:45 PM
I'll defer to GJM. I don't own any of them.

Up1911Fan
11-07-2022, 11:01 PM
YVK GJM I think the answer is ‘yes’ but in general is an XL slide on a Macro lower gtg?

Mine has been.

RJ
11-08-2022, 07:48 PM
Interesting comment by Hickok45 in his Macro review:

20:41 “I’ve had more misses with it than I typically have with the P365.”

https://youtu.be/nWchdggR21o

GJM
11-08-2022, 08:07 PM
RJ, I just bought the XL upper from Proven you referenced, and plan to use that or a 365X/PMM on my Macro lowers. Even if Gold Dot shoots good enough, I don’t like the idea of a pistol that won’t shoot my practice ball ammo into 3-4 inches at 25.

HCM
11-09-2022, 12:29 AM

Yes.

The FCU is the same. All you need is the grip.

RJ
11-09-2022, 05:23 AM
RJ, I just bought the XL upper from Proven you referenced, and plan to use that or a 365X/PMM on my Macro lowers. Even if Gold Dot shoots good enough, I don’t like the idea of a pistol that won’t shoot my practice ball ammo into 3-4 inches at 25.

Looking forward to the results. Those X-change kits are pretty cool, I'm not sure why Sig discontinued them. Proven had two of them when ordered, so maybe you got the other one they had. I was casting around for how best to get a P365XL slide and was on the point of buying another P365XL, just for the parts, when I happened to find Proven Outfitters (who are Quantico Tactical formerly?) having a sale on them. Plus I can sell the 2 mags and grip module to reduce some of the cost. I have some AE124 and Speer GD 124+p, and am I headed to the square range later today. I'm obviously not in the same class of shooter as you and Up1911Fan, but out of self interest, I will try and shoot some five round groups at 25 on a B-8 with my P365XL upper and Macro lower.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm still not clear on what the failure mechanism might be...I've never shot a pistol with a comp, or even a "slide" comp (or is the Spectre / Macro upper slide, where it vents gas upward, more of a "brake"?). If you assume the barrel and lockup is the same, it must be something that takes place right at the very small window of time where the bullet has left the muzzle of the barrel (3.1"), but has not left the end of the extended slide part (3.7"), right? Is it possible there is some slight inconsistency in powder burn and gas expansion rates that causes the bullet to "clip" (?) the end of the slide moving downward, on it's way out, enough to disturb the trajectory enough where groups open up on certain specific guns...?

I'm thinking there might be an analogy where certain Glock 48's with optics mounted (like mine, for example) have issues in slide velocity with specific ammo, where other Glock 48's have no issues at all; something like that.

GJM
11-15-2022, 03:41 PM
I now have two pistols set up with a Macro lower and XL OEM upper. They are both zeroed with 124 +P Gold Dot, but they also shoot my practice ball ammo just fine. Will be sending my Macro upper and Spectre Comp down the road, to someone who appreciates an iota of extra recoil reduction over accuracy with a range of loads. Was shooting eight inch steel at 30 yards with Lawman today, and that was very frustrating with the Macro upper.

I have a straight trigger in one Macro and a curved in the other. Dry firing, I prefer the curved trigger but can't tell a difference shooting both triggers.

G19Fan
11-16-2022, 09:23 AM
I now have two pistols set up with a Macro lower and XL OEM upper. They are both zeroed with 124 +P Gold Dot, but they also shoot my practice ball ammo just fine. Will be sending my Macro upper and Spectre Comp down the road, to someone who appreciates an iota of extra recoil reduction over accuracy with a range of loads. Was shooting eight inch steel at 30 yards with Lawman today, and that was very frustrating with the Macro upper.

I have a straight trigger in one Macro and a curved in the other. Dry firing, I prefer the curved trigger but can't tell a difference shooting both triggers.

That is interesting on the triggers. Completely my fault as the shooter but I am much more accurate at distance with the curved vs the straight

HCM
02-15-2023, 10:07 PM

TLDR I got rid of my commercial X Macro after experiencing and witnessing accuracy issues similar to those you reported.

The gun would generally produce a split group with one sub group at 10 o’clock and one at 4 or 5 o’clock and occasionally sent a round high.

My P365XL with Macro grip had no such issues. Putting an XL slide on the Commercial Macro grip / FCU also eliminated the issue.

This past weekend I was at a private shooting event and was able to have two very competent shooters (a USPSA GM and a prior IDPA world shoot winner) shoot the gun. both got the same results I did (split group and one high flyer).

There was another shooter present with a commercial Macro and it displayed similar accuracy issues to mine.

GJM
02-15-2023, 10:17 PM
TLDR I got rid of my commercial X Macro after experiencing and witnessing accuracy issues similar to those you reported.

The gun would generally produce a split group with one sub group at 10 o’clock and one at 4 or 5 o’clock and occasionally sent a round high.

My P365XL with Macro grip had no such issues. Putting an XL slide on the Commercial Macro grip / FCU also eliminated the issue.

This past weekend I was at a private shooting event and was able to have two very competent shooters (a USPSA GM and a prior IDPA world shoot winner) shoot the gun. both got the same results I did (split group and one high flyer).

There was another shooter present with a commercial Macro and it displayed similar accuracy issues to mine.

Good to know it wasn't just me. I first spotted this with a Spectre Comp back in the summer, which obviously shares the same top end. My wife and I are running XL uppers now without issue.

G19Fan
02-16-2023, 06:27 PM
Good to know it wasn't just me. I first spotted this with a Spectre Comp back in the summer, which obviously shares the same top end. My wife and I are running XL uppers now without issue.

Wonder why this happens on the macro slides

Biggy
02-16-2023, 08:09 PM
Wonder why this happens on the macro slides

Assuming it is not a bad batch of P365 3.1 “ inch barrels and the MACRO slides are machined in spec, I would say it is the slide comp or heat related or both.

RJ
02-17-2023, 05:45 AM
Wondering also. Maybe it's not the comp, but rather the way the barrel is fitted in the Macro?

I've heard the term "good lock up", describing the fit of the barrel supported at the rear by the breach, and front by the slide mouth (or bushing in a 1911), as being essential to repeatable accuracy. Is it possible the Macro comp slide design, with the vents to allow gas to escape upwards, doesn't have as good a lock up as an XL slide?

HCM
02-17-2023, 08:53 AM
Assuming it is not a bad batch of P365 3.1 “ inch barrels and the MACRO slides are machined in spec, I would say it is the slide comp or heat related or both.

It's not heat. It exhibits problematic performance from the first cold shot.

Biggy
02-17-2023, 10:16 AM
So I wonder if *all* the P365 slide comp versions have had accuracy issues from day one ? Before I retired I ran a CNC mill and we were supposed to do our pre and post checks on the critical dimensions of a part on every five parts using go and no go gauges or other measuring devices. Also, twice a shift the machine operator was to take a part to inspection to be checked on the CMM machine. One would assume Sig would have noticed any accuracy issues in these slide comp models in the design phase and before they were released on the market. That, or maybe some out of calibration inspection equipment or some machine operators that have been slacking on their job duties. LOL !!

GJM
02-17-2023, 10:31 AM
So I wonder if *all* the P365 slide comp versions have had accuracy issues from day one ? Before I retired I ran a CNC mill and we were supposed to do our pre and post checks on the critical dimensions of a part on every five parts using go and no go gauges or other measuring devices. Also, twice a shift the machine operator was to take a part to inspection to be checked on the CMM machine. One would assume Sig would have noticed any accuracy issues in these slide comp models in the design phase and before they were released on the market. That, or maybe some out of calibration inspection equipment or some machine operators that have been slacking on their job duties. LOL !!

Anecdotes, not data, but as bookends I had accuracy problems with a Spectre comp that I got late spring or early summer last year and then again with a macro that came after their release just recently. I am not convinced that Sig would do 25 yard testing on a small pistol like that. None of the reviews I saw tested at 25, except Aaron Cowan that shot a good group at 25 with Gold Dot in his review. Remember Sig is the company that put out a competition gun, in the 320 Legion, that has had accuracy problems from day one (although the 320 X5 was accurate).

HCM
02-17-2023, 10:54 AM

How many people shoot enough and / or well enough to notice ?

The owner of the second macro at the event I attended last weekend thought his was good to go but he could barely keep everything on a B/c steel at 20 yards. In more skilled Hans approved to have similar accuracy issues.

Biggy
02-17-2023, 11:19 AM
So the P365 slide comp pistols have a 3.1 “ barrel and reduce muzzle flip by 15%, but the practical in hand accuracy kind of sucks. I guess I should be thankful I never went down that road.

matt7184
02-18-2023, 08:49 AM
How many people shoot enough and / or well enough to notice ?

The owner of the second macro at the event I attended last weekend thought his was good to go but he could barely keep everything on a B/c steel at 20 yards. In more skilled Hans approved to have similar accuracy issues.

Another sample of one here with group issues here with all the loads (including at least 4 defensive loads) I've tried even as close as 15 yards. I've had similar issues with my ported barrels and certain types of jacketed ammo, but the design on the Macro shouldn't cause this. My theory on the accuracy issue is "dirty" "turbulent" airflow around the bullet caused by the compensated slide design. Basically the bullet is now also traveling through a wind tunnel of dirty air after it leaves the bore.

I'm also curious if this was known prior to release as it seemed that the Sig hosted events focused on close distance courses of fire for the media. :confused:

My macro backstrap also has loosened creepily fast. If I squeeze the grip you can feel it squirm in the grip module and sadly I've used other Macro modules that have done this.

JCN
02-19-2023, 07:42 AM
My macro backstrap also has loosened creepily fast. If I squeeze the grip you can feel it squirm in the grip module and sadly I've used other Macro modules that have done this.

I used E6000 on this and the P322 backstraps to keep them in place. I use a little on most CZ grips to prevent that too.