PDA

View Full Version : Cigar and Pipe thread

Pages : [1] 2

vaglocker
09-26-2012, 01:43 PM
So, I've gotten into premium cigars lately. Any recomendations for sticks to try?

NavyPiper77
09-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Hiya,

Lots of variables there. How long have you been smoking, what are you smoking now and how do you like them, and what's your budget like for sticks?

Are you a daily smoker or a weekender?

This can be a pricey hobby! As I'm sitting here with a Rocky Patel in my hand, looking at my iglooador and 2 desktop humidors, and about 150 or so sticks- and I still am learning n growing at it! Lol!

Anyway more info would help...

Doc

Robert H. Bledsaw, LCDR FMF/SW, USN SCC
Commanding Officer
Pacific Central Region, 12.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaglocker
09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Been going pretty mild so far the ones I've really enjoyed have been:

Macanudo Cafe
Oliva CT Reserve
CAO Gold Maduro
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway

While the weather is still warm I've been enjoying one in the evening pretty much every evening for the past few weeks. I definitely like a relatively large ring gauge and long cigar as I like to just relax for an hour or more while having a beer or two. Looking for sub $10 sticks but I'd like to hear about any personal favorites of any price.

jrm
09-26-2012, 08:43 PM
My personal favorites are Brick House and Fuente Double Chateau Natural. I have really been wanting to try a XEN but haven't seen it in my local shop.

helothar
09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
I like mostly more medium-full bodied cigars, here are some reasonably priced cigars that I enjoy

Illusione cg4
Rocky Patel Edge (Maduro or Corojo wrapper)
Romeo (Part of Romeo y Julieta line)
Alec Bradley Prensado
Don Peppin My Father
Don Peppin Cuban Classic (black label)

JFK
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
I do not think you can go wrong with Rocky Patel. I have never been disappointed with any of his sticks in any flavor profile. I just had his newer "Burn" and it was easy smoking, light but full with a great draw and very satisfying.

That being said my favorite is Liga Privada no 9. It is a bit fuller with a nice spice to it. They can get a little expensive depending on how easily your shop can get them.

LHS
09-26-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm a rank neophyte at cigars, though I find that I enjoy them if I have someone with more knowledge pick out some mild, smooth ones for me.

The last one I thoroughly enjoyed was a Padron 1964 Principe, along with a selection of fine rums at a local rum bar. They looked at me funny when I asked for a mojito made with Zaya rum, but once the bartender tried one himself, he saw the light. Combined with the Padron, it made for a fine evening with some old friends out on the patio.

JAD
09-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Montecristo coronas, typically. I generally can make a box of Cubans last a long time.

BLR
09-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Well, first off:

"A Good Cigar closes the doors to the vulgarities of the world.” Franz Liszt

To me, a Macanudo Vintage 1988 is a rare treat. Spicy, slow burning, what a cigar should be.

But in so far as an everyday smoke: La Gloria Cubana's (please, please, get the ones stamped Miami on the bottom of the box!!!) are just about unbeatable.

JM Campbell
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I knew I liked you BLR! Outstanding cigars. Long time favorite is the LGC series R.

Short list (I love strong maduros) in no order of preference.

Freak, Alex Bradley
Edge Battalion, Rocky Patel
Nubs, Olivia
LaGloria Cubana Series R
INCH (don't know the brand)
Pyramid #7
Opus X

There are so many more to list when I have a chance I'll post again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Nikuraba29
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Padron 1964 principe +1 (a splurge smoke)
Padron 2000, was my everyday smoke for along time
And
Arturo Fuente makes a ton of cigars: Hemmingway, Anejo, Opus X, between the lines

S/F

Sheep Have Wool
09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't smoke cigars much, but I'm a big fan of the Oliva Serie G.

Skyline, when you and Nick are in town, check out the Addison Cigar and Tobacco Club (http://www.addisoncigarshop.com/). Great prices.

VolGrad
09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
In general I prefer smokes from

Rocky Patel
Alec Bradley

My favorite ever though is the Liga Privada T52 from The Drew Estate.

Nikuraba29
09-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Rocky Patel
Alec Bradley

I also liked the Drew Estate Natural Root. Thanks for the reminder.

S/F

JFK
09-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Rocky Patel
Alec Bradley

I am not sure I have had the T52. I love all the Ligas I have ever had though. Have you tried any of their Undercrown line?

VolGrad
09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I am not sure I have had the T52. I love all the Ligas I have ever had though. Have you tried any of their Undercrown line?

Nope but I'll look for it. The place I get my T52s sells them for around $14 but it's over an hour away in downtown ATL. I rarely get there. A local shop finally broke and got some after I'd asked about them a few times. They want $22 so I said no thanks.

NavyPiper77
09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
I too like & recommend the AF Double Chateau for mild/med, as well as Brick House, but its a little fuller bodied. You can't also go wrong with the AF in Sun Grown, and I also like the H. Uppman Cedar wrapped camaroons in Robusto or toro depending on time, as those are mild/med.

I had an Alec Bradley Black Market last night and was surprised at how smooth and mild it was.

Let us know how your new trials go.

Doc

Commanding Officer

SGT_Calle
09-27-2012, 05:28 PM
As a regular cigarette smoker I find that I really like strong, dark maduros. I smoked every day when deployed but haven't as much since.
I like (to name a few):
Nub maduro
Partagas Black
Camacho triple maduro
Perdomo Lot 23 maduro
Sancho Panza maduro (great smoke for the price)
My Father maduro (Arturo Fuente I believe)
There's an Excalibur that I really like but can't recall the maker, black & gold label.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

NavyPiper77
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Excalibur is a Hoyo de Monterey. Awesome sticks!

Doc

Commanding Officer

BLR
09-28-2012, 06:27 AM
I knew I liked you BLR! Outstanding cigars. Long time favorite is the LGC series R.

Short list (I love strong maduros) in no order of preference.

Freak, Alex Bradley
Edge Battalion, Rocky Patel
Nubs, Olivia
LaGloria Cubana Series R
INCH (don't know the brand)
Pyramid #7
Opus X

There are so many more to list when I have a chance I'll post again.

HA! I remember my first Opus X. Back when they were "rationing" them!

Paragas Series S are another fav of mine. There was a Cuban refugee in Miami, Carlos Reyus, that was rolling them in the 2002-2005 time when I was there regularly. I believe he was using CT wrappers and Jamaican filler. Box pressed. Were AMAZING smokes. Only have 10 left. They have a nice dust on them now.

LittleLebowski
09-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Is the "dust" ok?

bakdrft911
09-28-2012, 09:08 AM
#1 Liga Privada #9
#2 La Perla Torpedo
#3 Ashton VSG- (any VSG)
oh, if you come across any "Pre-Embargo" Ghurka's Ill pay dearly for them. By far THE best smoke E.V.E.RRRRRRR lol

Did I mention EVER~?

BLR
09-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Is the "dust" ok?

very common for vintage (aged) cigars to develop an extremely light, pure white dusting of mold. Not harmful at all, and signifies a mellowing of the tobacco. Green, however, signals decay and bad cigars. Proper humidity control is vital.

All of my '88s and '93s have this, as do my "aging" boxes of LGCs. I usually wipe the mold off when I give a cigar to a friend. Doesn't bother me anymore.

If you'd like a try at one, email me, I'll send you a few stogies.

JM Campbell
09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Plume is what it's called.....lets say it's the grey hair of cigars. If you don't want them send them here I'll disposed of them for you ;)

In my book a cigar with plume that consists of white dusting stated earlier is like aged Scotch, better with time and the flavor characteristics change usually for the better.

EricP
09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm a rank neophyte at cigars, though I find that I enjoy them if I have someone with more knowledge pick out some mild, smooth ones for me.

The last one I thoroughly enjoyed was a Padron 1964 Principe, along with a selection of fine rums at a local rum bar. They looked at me funny when I asked for a mojito made with Zaya rum, but once the bartender tried one himself, he saw the light. Combined with the Padron, it made for a fine evening with some old friends out on the patio.

The Padron 1964 (Naturals) are my all time favorite, but they sure have gone up in price when you can find them.

BLR
09-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Plume is what it's called.....lets say it's the grey hair of cigars. If you don't want them send them here I'll disposed of them for you ;)

In my book a cigar with plume that consists of white dusting stated earlier is like aged Scotch, better with time and the flavor characteristics change usually for the better.

Spoken like a true addict, err, I mean connoisseur!

I tried for the life of me to remember it was "plume," but it just wouldn't come to me!

And no, you can't have them. I was merely offering a stick or two to someone who's never had.

JM Campbell
09-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Well played sir...well played.

I will return to enjoying my LaFlourDominica Airbender. Tasty stick if you like them with depth.

vaglocker
10-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Just finished an Alec Bradley American Sun Grown. Very good medium bodied cigar for around $5. Highly recommended.

BLR
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/Beavercreek-20121005-01373.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/Beavercreek-20121005-01374.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/Beavercreek-20121005-01375.jpg

Mmmmmmmm. Gonna light up a '93 and enjoy it with a glass of Woodford Reserve.

Cheers everyone, and enjoy your Friday night!

LittleLebowski
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
If you'd like a try at one, email me, I'll send you a few stogies.

Thanks! Inbound email.

RoyGBiv
10-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Another good cigar if you like big flavor.

Ashton VSG.. I like the "Illusion"

http://www.ashtoncigar.com/images/vsg_Illusion_bg.jpg

ETA: Oops.. I see bakdrft911 beat me to this one..

RoyGBiv
10-05-2012, 07:49 PM
oh, if you come across any "Pre-Embargo" Ghurka's Ill pay dearly for them. By far THE best smoke E.V.E.RRRRRRR lol

Did I mention EVER~?
Short story....
We had just bought our house and I was doing some pre-move-in work with two friends. Painting, ceiling fans, etc. We had moved a few things in already, including the kitchen table and chairs, so, as we were winding down and cleaning up, I called a few more friends and we sat down to play cards in the mostly empty house. A few hours in we take a break and one guy goes out to the car and comes back with a box of white-moldy assorted things. Apparently one of his suppliers (my friend was a buyer for a very large industrial company) was reorganizing his personal walk-in humidor and gave my buddy this box of miscellaneous stuff. He handed me an unbanded cigar and we stepped outside. I dusted it off and lit it up and it was fantastic. Fantastic. I asked if he had any idea what it was, since it didn't have a band. His supplier told him it was a pre-ban Ghurka. :cool: For the next 2-1/2 hours I watched my buddies playing cards through the window while I sat and sipped Bookers and smoked that cigar on the back porch. It was truly amazing.

NiceAsh
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
All very good recommendations.

I am a big fan of the Padron Anniversary 1964 Maduros, an acquired taste for some.

Had a very good tasting Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto at a car show a couple weeks ago. Very enjoyable

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9zHYOjQf4R0/UBDH83_Tz_I/AAAAAAAABR8/3DscfBR_Keg/s640/IMG_2543.JPG

Nice ash. Overall a very good smoke

SGT_Calle
10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
I hesitate to share this, but I will...
Not more than ten minutes ago I was sitting out side enjoying some bourbon and a Olivia series V maduro. I had just taken a nice log draw and the ash dropped, right down my chest and hitting my left hand thumb. It was hot enough to startle me and cause me to completely inhale the mouthful of smoke.
After coughing my guts up for a solid minute I decided that was enough cigar for me tonight. I've been smoking cigars for over a decade and never done that. It sucked, lol.

NiceAsh
10-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I hesitate to share this, but I will...
Not more than ten minutes ago I was sitting out side enjoying some bourbon and a Olivia series V maduro. I had just taken a nice log draw and the ash dropped, right down my chest and hitting my left hand thumb. It was hot enough to startle me and cause me to completely inhale the mouthful of smoke.
After coughing my guts up for a solid minute I decided that was enough cigar for me tonight. I've been smoking cigars for over a decade and never done that. It sucked, lol.

Well, at least you were not holding your gun too, that could have been bad :eek:

HighSpeedBail
10-08-2012, 08:10 PM
My current favorite is the Don Pepin Blue Label.

Depending on the time of day and where I'm at sometimes I like the mild stuff.

Perdomo Champagne
Vegas 5 Gold

I love Arturo Fuentes

My Uncle got me some amazing Cubans that are ridiculous.

As far as ordering cigars online. I've ordered from both of these places.

www.cigarsinternational.com (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/)
I ordered a humidor for my dad from here and didn't have any issues.

http://www.cigarbid.com/
I've gotten some great deals on this site.

vaglocker
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Question for you Padron smokers out there. I had my very first Padron (a Padron 2000). The draw was really loose, like wind tunnel loose. Is this pretty typical of all Padron cigars?

JM Campbell
10-25-2012, 09:38 AM
In my experience as of late its luck of the draw. I've seen quite a bit of qc issues with several companies.

Two things make and break a cigar, 1) the leaves used
2) who rolled them

Could be the best material in the world but a lackey rolling them will destroy them and vise versa.

NavyPiper77
10-25-2012, 11:40 AM
All the Padrons I've had, and I started with the 2000 naturals as well felt a little soft, but had great burn and super nice draw. I hate a plugged stogie!

About half of my other brands I end up running a reamer through them to open up the draw. Works most of time... Seems that my worst ones were my H Uppmans...

Doc

Doc

Commanding Officer

BLR
10-25-2012, 05:16 PM
All the Padrons I've had, and I started with the 2000 naturals as well felt a little soft, but had great burn and super nice draw. I hate a plugged stogie!

About half of my other brands I end up running a reamer through them to open up the draw. Works most of time... Seems that my worst ones were my H Uppmans...

Doc

Doc

Commanding Officer

Do you own a Piper? A '77?

NavyPiper77
10-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Hi Bill,

You mean a piper cub airplane as to my screen name? No I'm in the navy, I play bagpipes, and 77 was my number when I was racing sprint cars.

If you were asking something else, I missed it... Was that what you meant?

Doc

Commanding Officer

LittleLebowski
10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
I saw the "NavyPiper" screen name and started having flashbacks of the bosun's pipe on ship. Started twitching and bleeding from my eyes.....

NavyPiper77
10-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I saw the "NavyPiper" screen name and started having flashbacks of the bosun's pipe on ship. Started twitching and bleeding from my eyes.....

LOL Too funny! But would you believe I really like Bosun's pipes and all the different calls. I'm a sick sick man!

But being bonged aboard the center with the quarterdeck bell everytime I arrive or depart can get to me at times...

To the OP: how's the cigar search going? Inquiring minds want to know.

Have a great day!

Doc

Commanding Officer

Erik
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm in London for a few days and the J.J. Fox store just happens to be across the street from my hotel. I believe Davidoff may be around the corner as well. I like this neighborhood.

WDW
11-06-2012, 09:38 PM
La Gloria Cubana Serie R is a great cigar. One of my favs.

Cookie Monster
02-18-2013, 10:58 AM
So in my run to the big city yesterday, I found myself in a place with a walk in humidor. I ended up walking out with a "short story" after remembering this thread. You guys are a bad influence.

Last time I smoked a cigar was more than a decade ago and I am sure I did it poorly.

So I plan to take sometime this week and enjoy. Any recommendations on doing it "right"? Any blunders newbie make? How much to cut off? How?

Thanks guys. Soon I will shaving with a razor as well.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster

Jac
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
How much to cut off? How?

One thing I found helpful when I smoked my first cigars was the tabletop trick: if you have a guillotine-style cutter, lay it flat on a table and set the head of the cigar in it, then cut. Takes off just enough.

SGT_Calle
02-19-2013, 07:17 AM
One thing I found helpful when I smoked my first cigars was the tabletop trick: if you have a guillotine-style cutter, lay it flat on a table and set the head of the cigar in it, then cut. Takes off just enough.

This exactly.

BLR
02-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Not cigars, but something better!

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130216-03100_zps4fc8ebb5.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130215-03031_zps460c26d1.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130214-03019_zps7631ea05.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130212-02957_zpsc0e922ee.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130212-02954_zpse5746ce8.jpg

Been smoking my pipes lately. I've even gotten comments (favorable!) from a couple of MS students when I teach at UD and UC. Never happened with a cigar!

Cookie Monster
02-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Why? Why? Why did you have to do that?

Any recommendations where to buy a decent pipe online? Anything to look for? I am way interested. Recommendations for a tobacco.

Maybe we need a pipe thread.

Cookie

BLR
02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Why? Why? Why did you have to do that?

Any recommendations where to buy a decent pipe online? Anything to look for? I am way interested. Recommendations for a tobacco.

Maybe we need a pipe thread.

Cookie

Well, I've decimated the Cup-o-Joes inventory recently (http://www.cupojoes.com/).

As for pipes - I prefer briar. Meers don't do it for me. A good pipe is $100+. Petersons (I like army mounts) are my favorite. In terms of taste, Wileys are first rate. They are oil boiled and aroud $200. For those with a sense of tradition (I call it taste ;) ) the Peterson Deluxe and Silver Spigots are my favorite.

If you are new to pipes, make sure you start with a bent pipe - you don't want any backflow to ruin your first few experiences.

On tabacco: The easiest (albiet wettest) smoke to start with is Hartwell Evening Stroll. I had a past girlfriend that wouldn't be around me when I lit up a cigar, but darn near begged me to smoke evening stroll. I'm not a fan of many english blends though, and most of those have a pretty harsh room note. Seven Seas Gold is a little drier, and a bit more tropical. University Flake is my stand by. 2012 Special Reserve is great indoors with a fire going. Luxury Blend (seen in the pics above) is a fanstastic evening blend if you are sitting in the woods thinking on stuff.

Start a pipe thread, and I'll participate!

vaglocker
02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
I've been tempted to get into pipe smoking, but my credit card hates me enough with all my cigar and gun purchases

vaglocker
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
So in my run to the big city yesterday, I found myself in a place with a walk in humidor. I ended up walking out with a "short story" after remembering this thread. You guys are a bad influence.

Last time I smoked a cigar was more than a decade ago and I am sure I did it poorly.

So I plan to take sometime this week and enjoy. Any recommendations on doing it "right"? Any blunders newbie make? How much to cut off? How?

Thanks guys. Soon I will shaving with a razor as well.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster

Wait until you have time to sit back and really enjoy it with a favorite beverage. Nothing ruins a good cigar like being rushed and/or being pestered (in my case I make sure the wife and kids are occupied for the duration)

Erik
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM
You can find some very nice, and very interesting, vintage and/or estate pipes on ebay. Don't ask me how I know...

JDM
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Pipe smokers rejoice! I've renamed this thread so as to include you guys as well.

BLR
02-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Burning a bowl of Nording Hunters Blend: Pointer, grading some reports, then off to study myself.

Pointer is to be recommended. Excellent aromatic.

Drang
02-19-2013, 09:10 PM
I like Danish Freehands, myself, although Petersons are pretty nifty. I also have a few meerschaums I like.

As for tobacco, I prefer the English blends to flavored ones; I like latakia blends, virginias, and sometimes a touch of perique.

BLR
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130220-03199_zpsc9f35990.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130220-03198_zps36cedf34.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130220-03197_zps0c4cb2d0.jpg

Today's poison. Great combo for sitting in the woods thinking on stuff ;)

BLR
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Today, a Pete Sitter and Sweet Killarney.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130221-03205_zps92d9b9cf.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130221-03204_zps33c0d150.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130221-03203_zps89e61973.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130221-03202_zpsec766323.jpg

Less time in the woods today, more time looking for money.... :(

NMBigfoot02
02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Well, I've decimated the Cup-o-Joes inventory recently (http://www.cupojoes.com/).

As for pipes - I prefer briar. Meers don't do it for me. A good pipe is $100+. Petersons (I like army mounts) are my favorite. In terms of taste, Wileys are first rate. They are oil boiled and aroud $200. For those with a sense of tradition (I call it taste ;) ) the Peterson Deluxe and Silver Spigots are my favorite.

If you are new to pipes, make sure you start with a bent pipe - you don't want any backflow to ruin your first few experiences.

On tabacco: The easiest (albiet wettest) smoke to start with is Hartwell Evening Stroll. I had a past girlfriend that wouldn't be around me when I lit up a cigar, but darn near begged me to smoke evening stroll. I'm not a fan of many english blends though, and most of those have a pretty harsh room note. Seven Seas Gold is a little drier, and a bit more tropical. University Flake is my stand by. 2012 Special Reserve is great indoors with a fire going. Luxury Blend (seen in the pics above) is a fanstastic evening blend if you are sitting in the woods thinking on stuff.

Start a pipe thread, and I'll participate!

I'll second most of the advice given here, although I would encourage those who aren't sure they'll stick with it to consider either a corn cob or a previously owned (estate) briar. I would also encourage those new to the hobby to try a range of tobaccos (burley, English, Virginias, and aromatics) to get a feel for what they like best.

Some other online retailers that are good are Pipes and Cigars (http://www.pipesandcigars.com/) and Smoking Pipes (http://www.smokingpipes.com).

BLR
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
I'll second most of the advice given here, although I would encourage those who aren't sure they'll stick with it to consider either a corn cob or a previously owned (estate) briar. I would also encourage those new to the hobby to try a range of tobaccos (burley, English, Virginias, and aromatics) to get a feel for what they like best.

Some other online retailers that are good are Pipes and Cigars (http://www.pipesandcigars.com/) and Smoking Pipes (http://www.smokingpipes.com).

Cant argue any of that. For beginners though, I'd approach the lats with some caution. They can be a pretty rough start ;)

BLR
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Smoking Mac B's Vanilla Flake Cut -

Out of 10 (5 being an "average aromatic smoke")

This gets a 5.5-6. Better halfway through, in the begining there is a strong tongue bite.

Not excessively wet or sweet, which I like.

Smoked today in a Pete 11FB. Go slow and easy.

Stays lit extremely well, no relights necessary even with my clumsy technique.

BLR
03-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm not Irish by any stretch, but I do love a Pete. And you can't have a St. Patty's Day without burning a bowl of something appropriate, so......

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03401_zps9546b582.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03402_zpsbbc0b3a9.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03403_zpscf4797e6.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03398_zps9ad247d7.jpg

and.......15lbs of Luxury Navy Flake for aging purposes!

NMBigfoot02
03-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Very nice! PS makes some of the best blends out there.

Isaac
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Vaglocker,

I only buy boxes when they are on sale- I like Cigars International & Cigar Bid is also a less expensive option.

As for single sticks from shops, i'd recommend whatever catches your eye- that's a quick way to learn. Premium singles will be $, and i've found countless non rated cigars that i've really liked... in fact- there isnt many (med-full) cigars i've tried that I didnt enjoy :)

Sorry for the poor quality pic contribution, I know there are some talented photographers on here.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k317/isis07734/IMG_1525_zps0a049bb7.jpg

vaglocker
03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Vaglocker,

I only buy boxes when they are on sale- I like Cigars International & Cigar Bid is also a less expensive option.

As for single sticks from shops, i'd recommend whatever catches your eye- that's a quick way to learn. Premium singles will be $, and i've found countless non rated cigars that i've really liked... in fact- there isnt many (med-full) cigars i've tried that I didnt enjoy :)

Cigar Bid has been dangerous for me. The auctions there can be a bit addicting. Going to a Kristoff event at my local B&M shop tonight. Hope to score some freebies.

Isaac
03-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Haha, yea- I guess I should feel guilty even recommending a site like that!

I went to a shop opening in Weston, FL once and had a great time. They had ppl hand rolling and everything; met Dan Marino there- which was super cool!

WDW
05-19-2013, 10:08 PM
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/10mm4me/image-8_zps72194f2b.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/10mm4me/media/image-8_zps72194f2b.jpg.html)
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/10mm4me/image-8_zps8e377f23.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/10mm4me/media/image-8_zps8e377f23.jpg.html)

* These were not possessed while in the U.S.

LittleLebowski
06-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Have pipes inbound for wife and I. I was a tad surprised at her request but she enjoys a good cigar so.....

Ordering Frog Morton Cellar and looking for suggestions for a mild tobacco for her.

Erik
06-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Pipes & Cigars (http://pipesandcigars.com/dunhilltins.html) is running a buy 2 get 1 free special on Dunhill tobacco. I found the Navy Rolls (backordered right now) and the Flake Medallions (which I don't see on the site right now, but they do have flake which is billed as mellow, if a different blend) to be very mild. The 965 and Standard mixture have a lot more kick. Personally, I love the 965, but I also really enjoy Balkan Sasieni, so I may not be the best source. None of these are aromatics, although the Navy Rolls and Flake Medallions do smell quite sweet in the tin. I'm still relatively new to pipes, so that's the best I've got at this point. It's a hell of a lot of fun learning more, though.

Josh Runkle
06-01-2013, 06:24 PM
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/10mm4me/image-8_zps72194f2b.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/10mm4me/media/image-8_zps72194f2b.jpg.html)
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/10mm4me/image-8_zps8e377f23.jpg (http://s865.photobucket.com/user/10mm4me/media/image-8_zps8e377f23.jpg.html)

* These were not possessed while in the U.S.

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that the Trading with the Enemy Act makes it not just illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the US, but also to spend any non-exempted money on any purchases that would help Cuba. My understanding is, then, that it is illegal for a US citizen to purchase Cuban cigars anywhere in the world, even if they do not enter the US. I believe the fines are even steeper since GW Bush...like $10,000. So, I will assume that someone gave you these as a gift and that you smoked them outside the US, not having paid for them ;)

Jac
06-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Have pipes inbound for wife and I. I was a tad surprised at her request but she enjoys a good cigar so.....

Ordering Frog Morton Cellar and looking for suggestions for a mild tobacco for her.

Good call on the Frog... Cellar is some good stuff.:)

NMBigfoot02
06-02-2013, 09:04 AM

What kind of cigars does she prefer? That might help narrow down a blend that will suit her.

vaglocker
06-02-2013, 04:27 PM

I recently tried Frog Morton "On The Bayou" and it was pretty mild but flavorful. Also some may poo poo it but Captain Black is a mild cool burning aromatic that might be good to start with.

LittleLebowski
06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
What kind of cigars does she prefer? That might help narrow down a blend that will suit her.

She smokes cigars rarely, maybe every 2 months or so, and I don't have enough data to make that call.

NMBigfoot02
06-03-2013, 07:43 AM
She smokes cigars rarely, maybe every 2 months or so, and I don't have enough data to make that call.

In that case, I'd get a sampling of different blends to cover the bases. This is a good one that I can vouch for:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/scotblensamp.html#.UayO-0A3vn0

Two aromatics(Butternut, Milk & Honey), one English(English Stout), and one Virginia Blend(Old Red.) Butternut Burley is one of my favorites.

BLR
08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/20130803_111420_zpsfb3abc4d.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/20130803_111420_zpsfb3abc4d.jpg.html)

Cheers!

BLR
01-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Apparently no one has burned anything since August...

Was in the Sierra Nevadas (Nevada and Kali) recently with a few of my favorite briars:

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/1911%20Pics/20140116_155506_zps03ifxbjq.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/1911%20Pics/20140116_155506_zps03ifxbjq.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/1911%20Pics/20140116_155355_zpsaadeyezr.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/1911%20Pics/20140116_155355_zpsaadeyezr.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/1911%20Pics/20140116_154915_zpsw1zntghz.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/1911%20Pics/20140116_154915_zpsw1zntghz.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/1911%20Pics/20140115_125129_zpsjw2yhiwz.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/1911%20Pics/20140115_125129_zpsjw2yhiwz.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/1911%20Pics/20140115_130542_zps8urqiwsh.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/1911%20Pics/20140115_130542_zps8urqiwsh.jpg.html)

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y491/feral45/1911%20Pics/20140115_123310_zpsjssxi7ng.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/feral45/media/1911%20Pics/20140115_123310_zpsjssxi7ng.jpg.html)

Lets see what you got, lads!

LHS
05-13-2014, 09:11 PM
The Safari Club's magazine had an article on pipe smoking from a fellow named Richard Carleton Hacker. It was only two pages, but had some nice photos. Reminded me a lot of some of you here :)

On a somewhat related note, what would you all suggest as an introductory pipe for someone not sure if they want to take it up?

helothar
05-13-2014, 10:43 PM
The Safari Club's magazine had an article on pipe smoking from a fellow named Richard Carleton Hacker. It was only two pages, but had some nice photos. Reminded me a lot of some of you here :)

On a somewhat related note, what would you all suggest as an introductory pipe for someone not sure if they want to take it up?

I'm also looking at getting into pipe smoking, a lot of my friends started off with corn cobs, but they don't last that long. You can find estate pipes from decent manufacturers on ebay in the $30-100 range. As to what a decent manufacturer is I am not too experienced, but my friends who will spend hundreds of dollars on pipes like Sasieni, GBD and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head right now, maybe there needs to be a pipe chart :cool:

On the subject of cigars, I have really been enjoying the Rocky Patel Edge with the corojo wrapper, I could smoke these everyday (and sometimes do). Plus the price is right (if you buy online).

Jac
05-14-2014, 06:53 AM

Missouri Meerschaum corn-cob. Not as pretty and sophisticated as a nice piece of briar, but cheap; and they smoke really, really well. And there's some history there.

BLR
05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Missouri Meerschaum corn-cob. Not as pretty and sophisticated as a nice piece of briar, but cheap; and they smoke really, really well. And there's some history there.

I can't really disagree, and a MM is a lovely smoke to be sure.

That said, I cat my vote for a entry level Nording with the caution that it will take a few ounces to reach its peak in performance.

I suggest a Rhodesian pattern, with Frog Morton Cellar to begin.

MDS
05-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Nothing really to add, but I just want to say this thread brings back old memories. One of the first recreational www sites was the Santana Smokin Homepage, which I served from the same DEC Ultrix machine that collected sensor data from my university's 10MeV accelerator. Pipes and physics and classic computing are forever tightly linked in my mind...

Erik
05-14-2014, 11:29 AM
For me, a big part of the enjoyment comes from having a pipe that I find aesthetically pleasing, as well one that smokes nicely. Corn cobs just don't do it for me in that respect. I would think any one of these would be a nice smoker: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/76847/bjarne-viking-polished-waxed/ There's a nice variety and the one Bjarne Viking pipe that I have smokes wonderfully. I think they are a good value. As far as tobaccos to experiment with, there are some pretty nice samplers available. This one: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/67101/davidoff-luxury-pipe-tobacco-sampler/#p-111960 looks to be a real value and this one: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/76323/drew-estate-pipe-tobacco-sampler/#p-138665 includes a pretty broad variety, including some aromatics.

LHS
05-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info! There's a pretty significant difference in cost between a MM and a Nording, so I'll likely try the former. If I find I like the concept, there's nothing stopping me from upgrading.

That Nording churchwarden looks like something Gandalf would smoke.

SeriousStudent
05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
I'll second the advice about estate pipes on eBay. I found a wonderful old Oom Paul from Holland for a very reasonable price. I enjoy it a great deal, sitting on the back patio with my dog and a book.

justintime
05-14-2014, 09:24 PM
I've collected a few estate pipes off of ebay too. I don't smoke but I think they are neat.

Erik
05-14-2014, 10:41 PM
That's actually how I got into smoking pipes in the first place. I bought some estate pipes on ebay because I thought they were really beautiful, and then I decided I might as well smoke them. If you're patient, you can get some amazing and beautiful pipes for a really great price.

JM Campbell
05-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Looking to score some more of these for the weekend.
http://travelingstogie.com/e-p-carrillo-inch-no-64-natural-cigar-review/

If you haven't tried them yet, I highly suggest you put them on the try next time list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
Looking to score some more of these for the weekend.
http://travelingstogie.com/e-p-carrillo-inch-no-64-natural-cigar-review/

If you haven't tried them yet, I highly suggest you put them on the try next time list.

Thanks for the link to the review. What do folks recommend drinking with that very fine stick?

Drang
05-17-2014, 01:48 AM
I can't really disagree, and a MM is a lovely smoke to be sure.

That said, I cat my vote for a entry level Nording with the caution that it will take a few ounces to reach its peak in performance.

I suggest a Rhodesian pattern, with Frog Morton Cellar to begin.
I am fond of the Nording Danish Freehands.
Another option for an introductory smoke might be a Dr. Grabow. You can probably get one at your local drug store. Don't expect too much, you get what you pay for, but it'll at least let you know if you are comfortable with pipe smoking, You'll also be able to experiment with straight versus bent stems.
Also, if there's a tobacconist in your area, ask about "the basket", which might contain estate pipes ( which will have been cleaned and sanitized) or inexpensive blems from reputable makers.

LHS
05-17-2014, 02:13 AM
I am fond of the Nording Danish Freehands.
Another option for an introductory smoke might be a Dr. Grabow. You can probably get one at your local drug store. Don't expect too much, you get what you pay for, but it'll at least let you know if you are comfortable with pipe smoking, You'll also be able to experiment with straight versus bent stems.
Also, if there's a tobacconist in your area, ask about "the basket", which might contain estate pipes ( which will have been cleaned and sanitized) or inexpensive blems from reputable makers.

I'm going to have to look for a tobacconist. I stopped by the local cigar shop, but they only have cigars, not pipes or loose tobacco. Still, I picked up a couple of my go-to sticks, the Padron 1964 Principe Maduro. Some of my coworkers and I have begun doing a 'Malt Monday' once a month or so, wherein we sip fine liquor and smoke fine sticks to ease the pain of Monday. I reckon these will do nicely until I figure out what pipe to get.

It is interesting having the internet for a resource in this, though. I bought a cheap drug-store corncob pipe when I was 18, and smoked it while camping or skiing. I didn't know anything about the care or maintenance of pipes, I just shoveled some tobacco in and lit the thing, and had the devil's own time keeping it going. That, combined with the realization of how much it would suck to faceplant on a black diamond slope with a pipe stem in my mouth, prompted my switch to cigars. It got stolen out of my truck my freshman year at college, and I haven't really looked at pipes since. Just based on what I've read here and in a few other spots, I can see how much technique I didn't realize existed. I find it interesting.

Drang
05-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Look for a Tinderbox (http://www.tinderbox.com/). They're actually pretty good tobacco stores.

EDIT: Use this link to find a franchise near you...: Tinder Box International: Find a Store (http://www.tinderboxinternational.com/p18.htm)

LHS
05-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Look for a Tinderbox (http://www.tinderbox.com/). They're actually pretty good tobacco stores.

EDIT: Use this link to find a franchise near you...: Tinder Box International: Find a Store (http://www.tinderboxinternational.com/p18.htm)

Nice, there's one not too far from my office.

Drifting Fate
05-17-2014, 09:47 PM
For pipes, I've enjoyed my Peterson's tremendously, typically with a medium aromatic tobacco.

LHS
05-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Well, I stopped by the local Tinderbox and acquired a Missouri Meerschaum and an ounce of their "Sunset Rum" blend. I think I'll try it with a dram of my Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask.

LHS
05-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Well, I stopped by the local Tinderbox and acquired a Missouri Meerschaum and an ounce of their "Sunset Rum" blend. I think I'll try it with a dram of my Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask.

I think I can safely say this was a good idea. Combined with a little live-recorded Jimmy Buffett, it turned into a pleasant sunset.

SeriousStudent
05-30-2014, 11:09 PM
It's been a three-ring circus here on the Ponderosa this week. I'm wandering out on the back patio with the dog, a pipe of black cherry tobacco, and a glass of 18-year-old Glenmorangie. I have earned it.

LHS
05-30-2014, 11:21 PM
It's been a three-ring circus here on the Ponderosa this week. I'm wandering out on the back patio with the dog, a pipe of black cherry tobacco, and a glass of 18-year-old Glenmorangie. I have earned it.

Enjoy it!

Drang
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Don't care for the aromatic blends, myself. Don't taste that good, or smoke well for me, either.

Prefer the English blends, especially something with some Latakia in it.

But it's all a matter of taste.

Bigguy
06-02-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm not Irish by any stretch, but I do love a Pete. And you can't have a St. Patty's Day without burning a bowl of something appropriate, so......

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03401_zps9546b582.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03402_zpsbbc0b3a9.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03403_zpscf4797e6.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/blriehl/1911s/Beavercreek-20130304-03398_zps9ad247d7.jpg

and.......15lbs of Luxury Navy Flake for aging purposes!

I haven't been to this thread in a long time and just now ran across the pic of this pipe. Man that looks like a nice pipe! Congratulations.

RevolverRob
06-02-2014, 11:31 PM
I don't smoke - Government and health insurance provider says it is bad for me. But if I did smoke - It would be the occasional premium cigar. And among those I would favor:

Gurkha - Cellar Reserves and Evils in the 5x58 and 5x50 sizes
Rocky Patel - Vintage 1992 in the Petite Corona (4.5x44) size - Which I am told is one of the best standard production cigars ever made
My Uzi Weighs a Ton - Bait Fish (4x40) - Which if reviewers by smokers are to be believed is the best cigar made next to the Patel 1992 Petite Corona

-Rob

BLR
06-03-2014, 06:26 AM
For the record, I don't smoke either. I appreciate the beauty of briars and the history of 'baccy.

BLR
06-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Anyone get any new smokables?

I just landed a new Wiley freehand....and a pound of aromatic english. Pics to follow....maybe with guns, razors, and leather goods as background.

Robinson
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM

Yes, I recently bought a new bent-stem Luciano and several ounces of 1-Q -- first foray and all that.

Cake is forming nicely and I'm really enjoying it so far.

SeriousStudent
06-15-2014, 10:42 PM

I just landed a new Wiley freehand....and a pound of aromatic english. Pics to follow....maybe with guns, razors, and leather goods as background.

Yes, I succumbed tonight and bought some Frog Morton, Dunhill Nightcap, Stokkebye Lux Navy Flake, and Dunhill London Mixture. Should be here Thursday-ish.

Nothing like sitting on the back patio with the dog and a pipe.

MDS
06-18-2014, 09:27 AM
So I've been spending a lot of time in the woods, and a nice bowl would be good to have by the fire. I've had trouble with tobacco before, so not sure I'll actually do it, but if I do, I'll get this to tote the smoke: http://www.bradleymountain.com/shop/pipe-utility-roll

Chuck Whitlock
06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
For the record, I don't smoke either. I appreciate the beauty of briars and the history of 'baccy.

Heresy! Next you'll be telling us that you don't actually shoot all those purty Wilsons.

SeriousStudent
06-18-2014, 07:12 PM
So I've been spending a lot of time in the woods, and a nice bowl would be good to have by the fire. I've had trouble with tobacco before, so not sure I'll actually do it, but if I do, I'll get this to tote the smoke: http://www.bradleymountain.com/shop/pipe-utility-roll

That is very cool, thanks for posting that link. I have been looking for something along those lines as a reward for one of my minions.

And I'll have to grab one for myself, of course. :cool:

LHS
07-16-2014, 10:54 PM
After coming home from a nice dinner with my wife, we sat out on the back patio and watched the sunset. I had my Missouri Meerschaum with some Tinderbox Sunset Rum tobacco, and a homemade daiquiri (rum, cut and squeezed key limes, ice and sugar). We watched the sun go down while my pipe smoke kept the monsoon-brought flying bugs away.

Shellback
07-27-2014, 11:03 PM
http://www.cigarbid.com/
I've gotten some great deals on this site.

Is that the ebay of cigars? I haven't seen the free fall type auctions before.

Alpha Sierra
07-28-2014, 10:57 AM
I feel like a lightweight next to Bill Reihl (bows.....)

I only have five pipes, some no names, a Petersen and a Savinelli. Never been much a fan of tinned tobacco, much prefer the blends I find locally. Two weekends ago I was in Nashville, IN and ran into a store called Men's Toy Shop (http://menstoyshop.com/index.php?route=common/home). Picked up a 4 oz baggie of their Woodsman and Sweetbriar mixes.

The Woodsman seems your typical Black Cavendish. The Sweetbriar has a Black Cavendish base with cuts of Burley and Viginia. I'm really liking that Sweetbriar.

Alpha Sierra
07-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Oh, now I GOTS to have me one of those.

Erik
07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
I find one of these handy for travel: http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Classic-Pipe-Combination-Pouch/dp/B0070B355E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406564947&sr=8-1&keywords=peterson+pipe+pouch

Shellback
08-08-2014, 12:35 AM
A lil Fuente beach side...

http://i60.tinypic.com/apagcx.jpg

breakingtime91
10-09-2014, 07:45 PM
whats a good started blend for a newbie pipe wise? I have all of the "essentials" just cant decide on what I want to burn.

lightning fast
10-09-2014, 08:00 PM
whats a good started blend for a newbie pipe wise? I have all of the "essentials" just cant decide on what I want to burn.

I think Frog Morton is an excellent intro.

breakingtime91
10-09-2014, 08:48 PM
thank you, just ordered my first pipe, accessories, and some Frog Morton. I'm pretty excited to try this out.

SeriousStudent
10-09-2014, 08:52 PM
I will second the Frog Morton. I bought some based on the recommendation of Professor Riehl, and do enough it.

breakingtime91
10-09-2014, 08:55 PM
this forum has cost me a bit of money. First a pistol, then a AR, then a watch, and now a pipe. I love it :cool:

SeriousStudent
10-09-2014, 09:49 PM
this forum has cost me a bit of money. First a pistol, then a AR, then a watch, and now a pipe. I love it :cool:

You may wish to avoid the vehicle or marriage threads.

(Just a small joke, and should not be taken literally. Maybe.)

LHS
11-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Necropost!

My wife and I spent our 10-year anniversary up in the tiny town of Greer, AZ (population 41). Lo and behold, there's an art studio there. We found a beautiful oil painting that came home with us, but we also found handmade briar pipes from an artist down in Tucson. I've been pondering a Churchwarden-style pipe for a while now, and this seemed the perfect opportunity.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/LordHeadshot/CQB_Pipe_Small_zps3rwcwlt0.jpg

Drang
11-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Nice! Looks like some Danish influence. (I love Danish freehand pipes.)(I am told that Erik Nording is quite the hunter, BTW.)

SeriousStudent
11-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Congrats on the anniversary. I have a Oom Paul and a churchwarden pipe, and they are among my favorites.

I think I will break one out now, come to think of it.

SamAdams
07-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Thought I'd bring this old thread up from the dead. Why ? The news sucks lately and a pleasant diversion once in awhile, would be nice IMO.

I got back into cigars recently. And I may try a pipe. What do you guys like to smoke ?

Drang
07-19-2016, 12:50 PM
I haven't actually smoked my pipes since I had oral surgery several years ago, had a molar removed and had to refrain while the incision healed, and just never picked them up again.

That said, my preference is for a Danish Freehand style pipe and an English-style tobacco, preferably a Virginia blend, occasionally with some Latakia in it. A touch of Perique can be nice. I avoid the aromatics, because I don't find the addition of the flavorings tastes better, and they are usually moist enough to ruin the smoking characteristics. The word "goopy" comes to mind.

I also have several Meerchaums I like.

If you want to just try a pipe out to see if you enjoy it, a Doctor Grabow is not a bad place to start, it lets you try your hand and see what shape you prefer without spending a lot of money. Don't waste money on filter pipes.

If there's a tobacconist near you they often have estate pipes and rejects of name brands that may be sold without markings, ask for "the basket". I worked at the local Tinder Box briefly after retiring from the Army, it's not a bad shop for a national franchise.

SamAdams
07-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Thanks Drang, I appreciate it.

I was thinking about the pipe especially for in the winter when it can get damned cold here. The lady of the house likes the smell of pipe smoke, but not so much that of a primo cigar. So, the pipe could be a better indoor option for me.

Is 'aromatic' tobacco likely to have a nicer aroma than other types ? (I know nothing about pipes.) - Thank you

rob_s
07-19-2016, 01:10 PM
My favorite cigar right now is the Liga Privada No 9 (http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/2015/liga-privada-no-9-corona-doble/). I'm also a fan of the CAO Flathead 660 (http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/2015/cao-flathead-v660-carb/).

I smoke at least a cigar a week, on average, most being a Friday night tradition with my fiance on the back porch while she has a vodka drink and I have a rum drink. Typically we're not enjoying anything as fancy as these two, and more commonly a <$4/ea option.

JAD
07-19-2016, 01:56 PM
Brought a box of Montecristo #5s back from Vienna. One will probably get burnt tonight.

Erik
07-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Thanks Drang, I appreciate it.

I was thinking about the pipe especially for in the winter when it can get damned cold here. The lady of the house likes the smell of pipe smoke, but not so much that of a primo cigar. So, the pipe could be a better indoor option for me.

Is 'aromatic' tobacco likely to have a nicer aroma than other types ? (I know nothing about pipes.) - Thank you

In fairness, neither is likely to be a great indoor option, but pipes generally are more appealing. Aromatic tobacco is the stuff that people tend to think smells good because they add sweet smelling flavorings that give notes of vanilla, or cherry or whatever. I do like some aromatics occasionally, although nothing too strong or too sweet. For the most part, though, I'm with Drang. I like a good English with, for me, a heavy dose of Latakia. What you get is a really flavorful, smokey smelling tobacco. This website: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ is a good resource. They have some nice value, inexpensive pipes and they do some samplers and kits that look pretty good too. If you decide to try it, don't get too wrapped up in the gear until you know you like it. Get an inexpensive pipe, some pipe cleaners and some tobacco or buy one of the less expensive kits. You can use a Bic lighter and a flat head nail as a tamper. You really don't need all the gear, but it's fun to acquire - just like gun stuff.

SamAdams
07-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks Eric - good advice

Does a tobacco have to be an 'aromatic' to smell good (to most non pipe smokers) ?

I'm not a fan of infused cigars and from my understanding of what you guys are saying - maybe aromatic tobacco is the pipe equivalent of infused cigars ?

Erik
07-19-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm the wrong guy to ask. I like black coffee, straight whiskey and the original Listerine. In Scotches I prefer the Islays, which are really peaty. For cigars, I like the heavier bodied ones with a nice dark wrapper (these in the rothschild size are excellent, BTW http://www.pipesandcigars.com/cigars/10322/hoyo-dark-sumatra/, if that's your kind of cigar). Having said all that, I don't think it has to be aromatic for people to think it smells good. This is a wonderful tobacco that I would think is as likely to smell good to somebody who isn't smoking it as any other: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/70342/seattle-pipe-club-plum-pudding/ Hell, even if they don't like the smell of the smoke, they'll love the way it smells in the can. This one is really nice as well: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/80052/hearth-home-marquee-whiteknight/ For a lightly aromtaic tobacco (and yes, infused cigar isn't a bad way to think of it), this one is really very nice: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/82133/bjarne-viking-odins-wind/#p-155686 It's out of stock at the moment, but if you tried one with a similar description you'd probably do OK.

SamAdams
07-19-2016, 03:54 PM
My favorite cigar right now is the Liga Privada No 9 (http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/2015/liga-privada-no-9-corona-doble/). I'm also a fan of the CAO Flathead 660 (http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/2015/cao-flathead-v660-carb/).

I smoke at least a cigar a week, on average, most being a Friday night tradition with my fiance on the back porch while she has a vodka drink and I have a rum drink. Typically we're not enjoying anything as fancy as these two, and more commonly a <$4/ea option.

If you haven't tried it already, you might like the Illusione Rothchildes. Helluva good smoke at around $4. Beats a lot of stoggies that sell for more IMO.

BobLoblaw
07-19-2016, 04:05 PM
If you haven't tried it already, you might like the Illusione Rothchildes. Helluva good smoke at around $4. Beats a lot of stoggies that sell for more IMO.

The Gurkha Shaggy is a must try. You get to taste the filler by itself first and then the wrapper and binder bring a very distinct peanut butter-y flavor. Very cool.

JM Campbell
07-19-2016, 06:21 PM
Brought a box of Montecristo #5s back from Vienna. One will probably get burnt tonight.
I was given a box on my wedding night. They are gone now. 10 years of marriage, smoked one on the anniversary of when she said yes and the date of our marriage. I enjoyed every minute of each one.

mark7
07-19-2016, 11:37 PM

Luv the Montecristo #5s, it's nice to know someone. who knows someone who travels internationally monthly . . .

mtnbkr
07-20-2016, 11:21 AM
I'm in London this week and have been enjoying some locally sourced tobaccos. I stopped by Segar and Snuff Parlour for some of their blends (London Cabbie, which is a VaPer, and Classic English, which is a VaBurLat blend). I had a nice time last night at a local pub enjoying a pint and a bowl of the Classic English blend. Three of the 5 coworkers with me were enjoying cigars sourced from S&SP. We followed up with Indian food. :D

Chris

Drang
07-20-2016, 11:28 AM
I'm in London this week and have been enjoying some locally sourced tobaccos. I stopped by Segar and Snuff Parlour for some of their blends (London Cabbie, which is a VaPer, and Classic English, which is a VaBurLat blend).

One of the peculiarities of American Tobacconists is that you can (usually) load up a pipeful of a blend and give it a try right there in the store. I know American who have tried that in the UK and damned near had the Rozzers called on them.

Translations of above:
VaPer. Not a "vaping" mix, a blend of Virginia and perique.
VaBurLat: Virginia, Burley, Latakia

Virginia tobaccos are grown all over, and some blends will have hints of tomato. (The tobacco and tomato plants are related. As is nightshade. FWIW.)
Perique is from Louisiana, the leaves are pressed and kept under pressure, and essentially ferment.
Latakia is from Cyprus or Syria, the leaves are themselves smoked. Persistent rumor says they are smoked over camel dung fires, but I am highly doubtful.

Paltares8
07-20-2016, 04:48 PM
This thread has gotten me jonesing for a nice cigar, preferably with a nice bourbon or scotch. But I am also very curious about the pipe. Maybe I'll have to swing by a local purveyor and see what's what. I'm really trying to quit smoking (cigarettes) and maybe relying on the occasional cigar or pipe could be my ticket out of this mess.

mtnbkr
07-20-2016, 05:16 PM
One of the peculiarities of American Tobacconists is that you can (usually) load up a pipeful of a blend and give it a try right there in the store. I know American who have tried that in the UK and damned near had the Rozzers called on them.

You can do that in UK tobacco stores too (officially, testing a sample is what's allowed, but it's a wink wink nudge nudge thing). However, Segar and Snuff Parlour is literally a closet where there's only room for 2 customers at a time. Smoking at outdoor seating areas for pubs is fine, as is smoking while out on the street. You just can't light up indoors (except at home) or in covered facilities.

The weather was gorgeous this week, so it didn't matter to me. Strolling through Hyde Park with my pipe and an aromatic blend was a special pleasure. :D

Chris

Jay585
07-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Drang and Erik,

What are your thoughts on a clay pipe (http://shop.pipeshoppe.com/product-category/claypipes/) for someone dipping their toes into the bath? Edit: Found some different clay pies on Pipes & Cigars link (http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/94957/old-german-clay-taster-set-pipes/)

I've heard different styles can leave a taste in pipes, but supposedly clay won't retain taste. Or something like that, I'm not positive.

Alternatively, what about cobb pipes?

rob_s
07-20-2016, 07:34 PM
This thread has gotten me jonesing for a nice cigar, preferably with a nice bourbon or scotch. But I am also very curious about the pipe. Maybe I'll have to swing by a local purveyor and see what's what. I'm really trying to quit smoking (cigarettes) and maybe relying on the occasional cigar or pipe could be my ticket out of this mess.

My brief foray into pipe smoking drove me nuts. The constant fiddle-fart wasn't for me. Evidently that aspect is what a lot of people like about it.

Jay585
07-20-2016, 07:36 PM
My brief foray into pipe smoking drove me nuts. The constant fiddle-fart wasn't for me. Evidently that aspect is what a lot of people like about it.

What do you mean? I assume you're referring to pipes.

Erik
07-20-2016, 07:45 PM
The only clay pipe I ever had came from Colonial Williamsburg when I was 12, so I have no idea. They're certainly cheap. Corncob pipes (Missouri Meerschaum) are a good, cheap way to try out pipes for sure. Pipes & Cigars sometimes has some really inexpensive briar pipes on offer too. Pipes take a little more work to smoke than a cigar, but not much really. One of the things I find appealing is that it scratches the gear itch a little (figuring out what's the best lighter for you, trying different styles of pipe, finding the NOS pipe from the 60s, or the really sweet estate pipe on ebay, figuring out tobacco storage options, etc.). But it really doesn't have to be that complicated. An inexpensive pipe, a cheap lighter, a tamper and some tobacco are all you need.

rob_s
07-20-2016, 08:25 PM
What do you mean? I assume you're referring to pipes.

Yes.

Lighting, tamping, poking,more-lighhting, tamping some more, etc.

Jay585
07-20-2016, 08:45 PM
The only clay pipe I ever had came from Colonial Williamsburg when I was 12, so I have no idea. They're certainly cheap. Corncob pipes (Missouri Meerschaum) are a good, cheap way to try out pipes for sure. Pipes & Cigars sometimes has some really inexpensive briar pipes on offer too. Pipes take a little more work to smoke than a cigar, but not much really. One of the things I find appealing is that it scratches the gear itch a little (figuring out what's the best lighter for you, trying different styles of pipe, finding the NOS pipe from the 60s, or the really sweet estate pipe on ebay, figuring out tobacco storage options, etc.). But it really doesn't have to be that complicated. An inexpensive pipe, a cheap lighter, a tamper and some tobacco are all you need.

I tried to get into pipes once before, but I was trying different blends in 1 briar pipe. It seemed like the prominent taste of all the tobaccos I tried was a floral note, a bit like lavender. I bought it second hand from some guy who said it was "rebored" or something.

I was thinking a clay pipe (or several cobb pipes) for different tobaccos might prevent "cross-contamination". Or is that unnecessary?

Yes.

Lighting, tamping, poking,more-lighhting, tamping some more, etc.

Ah I see.

Cigars can be frustrating for me sometimes. Particularly when one side burns quicker than the other (happens to me quite a lot, it's rather annoying).

Erik
07-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Don't smoke aromatics and non-aromatics in the same pipe. Other than that it doesn't matter THAT much, but a strong tobacco will definitely leave its mark and change the flavor of a lighter tobacco smoked in the same pipe unless you clean it in between. And you should clean a pipe from time to time. It really does matter.

Robinson
07-20-2016, 09:55 PM

Give it a try. I enjoy pipe smoking even more than I thought I would. And "with bourbon" is a great pairing.

Paltares8
07-20-2016, 10:45 PM
I think I'll grab a cheap pipe, a couple half decent cigars, and see if that helps scratch the smoking itch. I know that Pennsylvania is raising it's cigarette/tobacco tax about 1 dollar in August, and with all the other reasons I have to either quit or cut way down it seems like a worthwhile chance to take. I'd much rather my clothes and hair smell like cigar or pipe smoke than cigarettes, that's for sure.
As far as pipe tobaccos, what are some standards for folks? And are there certain types that are stronger or mellowed than others? All I've seen in my brief(5 minute) investigation is mentions of aromatics and not, and a few different types, but I don't know what's what.

mtnbkr
07-21-2016, 12:32 AM
Lots of dedicated pipe smokers swear by corn cob pipes as good cheap options that won't affect the flavor of the tobacco and are inexpensive enough to toss if you don't like it. They run $10-$20. I haven't tried them myself, but my pipe-smoking friend swears by them.

In a briar pipe, Dr Grabow, such as the ones you get at drug stores, are also well regarded. They tend to be in the $30-$40 range.

I used a cheap non-name briar until the stem cracked right at the bowl. I replaced it with a modestly priced briar (bent egg design) from James J Fox while I was in London.

I wouldn't bother with cheap options outside those two.

To start, see what your local tobacco shop has in the bulk blends. If you don't have one around, some of the longstanding over-the-counter offerings at your local pharmacy are decent if you don't have specific wants. I happen to like Captain Black White (standard version). It's not a connoisseur's tobacco, but it is a known quantity and reminds me of my grandfather. It's been around for a long time for a reason. Same for other OTCs like Carter Hall, Half & Half, etc. If you want to go higher end, but still commonly available and regarded, GL Pease's blends are supposed to be good, as is Dunhill's tinned offerings. I haven't tried either yet, but they get good reviews and frequent recommendations. I like trying new things, so I'm all over the place myself.

Chris

Robinson
07-21-2016, 07:46 AM
As far as pipe tobaccos, what are some standards for folks? And are there certain types that are stronger or mellowed than others? All I've seen in my brief(5 minute) investigation is mentions of aromatics and not, and a few different types, but I don't know what's what.

I suggest you try Lane 1-Q. It's what I started with and I still like it.

TheNewbie
12-28-2016, 09:23 PM
After smoking 100+ room 101 cigars this past year my new addiction is la Gloria Cubana in its various forms.

How many cigars do you all smoke a day / week? I was smoking 5-7 a week but now I'm down to 2.

blues
12-28-2016, 09:34 PM
After smoking 100+ room 101 cigars this past year my new addiction is la Gloria Cubana in its various forms.

How many cigars do you all smoke a day / week? I was smoking 5-7 a week but now I'm down to 2.

Friday afternoons I would roll with a Cuban born Miami P.D. detective assigned to the bomb squad who was helping me out with a UC investigation we we were conducting. We'd stop at all the cigar factories on Calle Ocho and invariably one of the first stops was La Gloria Cubana.

One of the shops further west was owned by the father in law of the singer Jon Secada.

I'd say my go-to back then was the Arturo Fuente 8-5-8. I still enjoy a cigar every few weeks or so, and at that rate I probably have enough to last several more years.

SeriousStudent
12-28-2016, 09:40 PM
The Arturo Fuente Short Story is my current fave.

It is my Friday evening treat, after the granddaughter is put to bed.

TheNewbie
12-28-2016, 09:56 PM
My new uniform jacket looks like it was born in the 80s. Fuzz collar, I just need some aviator sunglasses. Even dealt with a gay Hispanic guy who thought it was snazzy. Why couldn't it have been a hispanic woman?

When I smoke a cigar in this thing it smells rough. I didn't realize how bad until 2 weeks ago when my chief was in the office and the smell of the previous days smoke was so strong on my jacket my eyes were getting dry. He said nothing, but there is no way he didn't notice.

SeriousStudent
12-29-2016, 12:46 AM
Did he try and bum a stogie off of you?

He's the Chief, you probably should have given him one. Then hit him up for the patrol rifles.

TheNewbie
12-29-2016, 01:57 AM
Did he try and bum a stogie off of you?

He's the Chief, you probably should have given him one. Then hit him up for the patrol rifles.

I hit him up for bdu style pants. He said we couldn't look like swat. Lol

He bought me a beer boot for Christmas. I don't even drink.

Super nice guy, thoughtful too, but he is a interesting fellow. I just happen to work somewhere that smoking on duty is no big deal, I wouldn't do it just anywhere.

Lon
05-30-2017, 09:37 PM
They aren't fancy, but has anyone tried the DSG Arms line of cigars? I've tried the Constitution and the Insurrection and they're damn good smokes. They sell a sampler pack for $49. $40 with the LEO discount. Smoking a Constitution right now.

https://dsgarms.com/dsg-cigars

SamAdams
06-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Lon - no, never tried one of those.

We've got the summer weather and its that perfect time for cigar smoking. (Froze my tail off in the winter, but I still smoke cigars outside then.)

Yesterday I enjoyed a Padron 2000 natural with an adult beverage. Excellent stick.

Ahhhh . . . good ole summer :)

JFK
06-05-2017, 06:09 PM
I have been smoking a lot of Drew Estates stuff. In particular the Liga Privada No. 9 for a full flavored big stick or the Undercrown for a light easy smoke.

SamAdams
06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
I have been smoking a lot of Drew Estates stuff. In particular the Liga Privada No. 9 for a full flavored big stick or the Undercrown for a light easy smoke.

I've enjoyed the Undercrown. Haven't tried an LP9 yet. Have you had a Herrera Esteli (Drew Estate) ? The Lonsdale is supposed to be excellent. I haven't tried one yet.

JFK
06-05-2017, 06:38 PM
I've enjoyed the Undercrown. Haven't tried an LP9 yet. Have you had a Herrera Esteli (Drew Estate) ? The Lonsdale is supposed to be excellent. I haven't tried one yet.

I have not. The shop here raves about them and is either keeping them in a private stash or selling out as soon as they get them. I might have to order some online just to try. The Undercrown I am liking is the shade grown Corona with the Connecticut wrapper. Totally different then the No. 9. I find the first 1/2 inch or so on the No. 9 to be pretty harsh, but really smooth once it gets going. One of my favorites of all time.

Jay585
10-02-2018, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to make the switch from Copenhagen to tobacco pipes and looking for some good resources and forums. Any suggestions?

Drang
10-03-2018, 03:31 AM
Find a good tobacconist.

If they sell crack pipes, turn around, they're not a good tobacconist.

Here's one: http://pipesmagazine.com/pipe-store-locator/idaho/sturmans-smoke-shop-boise-id-472.html

They should be able to help you try out a cheap pipe or three to see what suits you -- although they probably don't sell Dr. Grabows -- and sample some different blends of tobacco.

EVP
10-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Find a good tobacconist.

This

I don’t regularly smoke cigars but my wife and I like to enjoy one from time to time or on certain occasions.

I am lucky to have a fabulous cigar shop were the people who work there love cigars and really enjoy talking about them and stuff.

A good tobacco or cigar shop will gladfully take you on a journey and introduce you to different things until you find which road you want to go down. Then they will take you down that road pointing to and recommending certain solid high quality options that give you a good experience of that particular flavor or style you are exploring.

A good one if definitely like a guide in your journey, they will keep you away from wasting your money on sub par brands or quality and show you cigars that will provide a good experience. The knowledge is a bonus as my wife can talk cigars with the best of them. It also helps that she does not look like she would enjoy smoking cigars at all. She is small, petite, cute as a button and still looks like she is in college. My buddies just give me a blank stare and I just say nothing with a big grin on my face as we continue to smoke a nice cigar.

Erik
10-03-2018, 02:33 PM
I can't recommend any forums from personal experience but the Pipes Magazine one is probably good. There are good online stores for pipes and tobacco. Smokingpipes.com (https://www.smokingpipes.com/) and pipesandcigars.com (https://www.pipesandcigars.com/) are ones that I've ordered from. They sell samplers and starter pipes. Personally, I'd suggest two inexpensive briar pipes and a sampler with some aromatics (the ones that smell good and taste like cherry, or vanilla, or whatever sweet-ish blend) and some non-aromatics (straight tobacco, in various blends from mild to heavy) and see what you might like. Pipesandcigars.com has a good FAQ section with some instruction articles and sells a lot of starter kits. In fact, this one looks like a deal: https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/amphora-pipe-kit/2015616/#p-2012963

Jay585
10-03-2018, 02:49 PM
I've placed orders online, but have yet to go to an actual tobacconist.

I have a few newbie questions, and the facebook groups don't quite have my trust if you know what I mean. Sorta like Glock Talk vs P-F

Erik
10-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Pipe smoking's not hard. For some reason, it seems kind of mysterious until you just do it; at least that was my experience. For $20, I'd buy the starter kit I linked and see what you think. That Virginia blend is probably a nice, middle of the road non-aromatic that's a good place to start. Watch a video or two on how to pack a pipe, but basically it's as easy as put some tobacco in loosely to the top of the bowl, tamp it down about half way, put some more on top and tamp it down a bit, light and go. A dedicated pipe lighter is great but a Bic works just fine. I wouldn't use a Zippo. After a few tries you'll have a feel for how tightly you want the pipe packed. Too loose doesn't burn as well, too tight is hard to draw through. Try not to mix aromatic/flavored tobaccos and non-aromatics in the same pipe. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem if the pipe starts gurgling and smoking wet. Have fun. This is PF. Most of us tend to overthink stuff, and you can go way down the rabbit hole if you decide you like pipes and pipe smoking, but you don't have to do much just to try it out.

BTW: If I misinterpreted, and you already have the stuff but have questions, ask away. I've been smoking a pipe for a few years and if I have an answer I'll happily share. If not, no harm.

Drang
10-03-2018, 07:46 PM
I "suspended" my pipe smoking due to oral surgery, and still have pipes in storage. I'll probably have to stock up on tobacco when this ordeal is through.

Smoking a pipe can be a bit of an art, you have to load the tobacco just right, tamp it just right, don't be afraid to relight...

I avoid the aromatic tobaccos, they tend to be wetter and smoke poorly for me, and frankly don't taste that good. They smell nice to non-smokers, though, which is why drugstore pipe tobacco tends to be aromatics.

A god tobacco shop probably has used pipes, and is likely to have "basket pipes", which may be seconds from name brands.

There used to be a usenet.newsgroup alt.pipes or something like that, it was a pretty good source of information. Lots of gun talk, too.

Eli
10-04-2018, 02:39 PM
I tend to favor cigars over pipes simply because they're easier. For me, smoking is about taking ~1.5 hours at the end of the day to just relax and decompress. Cigars allow me to do this with minimal or even no maintenance...pipes, not's'much. I usually have to fiddle with a pipe (including relighting) every two or three draws to keep it lit and puffing correctly. I'm incredibly lazy...this is just too much work for something that's supposed to be relaxing.

23JAZ
10-04-2018, 03:03 PM
So, I've gotten into premium cigars lately. Any recomendations for sticks to try?

My Father Flor De Las Antillas
Rocky Patel Sun Grown
La Flor Dominicana
Don Pepin Garcia
Olvia V Series

Jay585
10-04-2018, 03:18 PM
I tend to favor cigars over pipes simply because they're easier. For me, smoking is about taking ~1.5 hours at the end of the day to just relax and decompress. Cigars allow me to do this with minimal or even no maintenance...pipes, not's'much. I usually have to fiddle with a pipe (including relighting) every two or three draws to keep it lit and puffing correctly. I'm incredibly lazy...this is just too much work for something that's supposed to be relaxing.

I absolutely agree. I stared with cigars when I turned 18 in '04. I'm trying pipes mostly because I'm looking for something new that's also a shorter smoke. And I'm sticking with it because I'm stubborn :p

willie
10-06-2018, 01:54 PM
I gave up tobacco in 1986 but have considered smoking an occasional cigar after my 80th birthday. My doctor asserts that any amount of tobacco use is harmful. My question to the choir is: can relaxation from smoking cigars or pipes offset health concerns?

Drang
10-06-2018, 07:07 PM
I gave up tobacco in 1986 but have considered smoking an occasional cigar after my 80th birthday. My doctor asserts that any amount of tobacco use is harmful. My question to the choir is: can relaxation from smoking cigars or pipes offset health concerns?

This member of the choir says you're 80 years old, make your own decision.

Your doctor will probably disagree, but the Surgeon General's report says that "moderate" cigar or pipe smoking -- defined as five cigars a day -- doubles the risk of cancer... from a 1% chance to a 2% chance.
That assumes you don't inhale, which is not the norm for pipe or cigar smoking.

ragnar_d
10-07-2018, 01:26 PM
I've placed orders online, but have yet to go to an actual tobacconist.

I have a few newbie questions, and the facebook groups don't quite have my trust if you know what I mean. Sorta like Glock Talk vs P-F
I've done both and, while the local cigar shop might be a little more, the visit to the cigar shop was well worth the premium. Really good guys who took the time to give some recommendations based on what I'd tried. Ended up picking up a couple cigars based on their suggestions that I wouldn't have otherwise. I still use the online stores when I see good deals on the ones I like or sampler with a bunch of cigars I want to try, I just leave them in the humidor for a couple weeks to season a bit in case they dried out in transit. I will say I haven't had good luck with Gurkhas off of the online shops, the ones from the shops have been better.

Also, I'll throw in my post from another cigar thread from this forum:

I've been known to enjoy a cigar or two here or there. I made it a "goal" to try to enjoy one a week just because sitting outside with a nice glass of whiskey or rum, a book, and a cigar was a good way to get me to just slow down. I manage about one a quarter. I need to work on that.

My favorite is the Diamond Crown No. 4, partially because I enjoy the hell out of them and partially because that was my celebratory cigar after my daughter was born. The Insidious by Asylum and Arturo Fuente Gran Reservas are a couple of my other go-to cigars. Local cigar shop in Huntsville had a "Saturn V" blend (think it was Gurkha that did it for them) that I liked as well and I'm holding on to my last 3 of those. I've still got several Gurkha sticks left from a sampler that I still haven't gone through . . . mostly because they seem to be about the most overrated, inconsistent cigars in my humidor with the exception of the 18 y/o Cellar Reserves I picked up. I've had friends that enjoyed the MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured, so that's on the list to try as well.

Didn't think about it when I moved down here, but several times a week I drive by the Perdomo, Oliva, and Padilla stores/factories. I keep meaning to drop in and check them out but just haven't had the presence of mind to stop in (or check and see if they have a store on site in the case of Oliva).

That Guy
10-13-2018, 09:56 AM
My doctor asserts that any amount of tobacco use is harmful.

Would your doctor also recommend you get rid of your granite kitchen top because any increase in amount of radiation you receive is harmful?

Following the linear no-threshold risk theory rigidly can produce some fairly absurd results. Once you're below a certain threshold of risk probability, I think it's much more sensible to stop worrying about minute theoretical risk increases and just live your life.

Of course, this is coming from someone who is right now pondering whether to go outside with the dog and smoke a cigar, so I might be biased. :)

blues
10-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Radon makes us stronger. (Or so I tell myself. ;))

I have lots of cigars in my humidors but I really only enjoy smoking them with others. They'll probably outlast me at the rate I've been smoking them over the past couple of years.

RevolverRob
03-10-2021, 12:53 AM
Too long since we had a post in this thread.

I smoked a cigar for the first time in probably 8-months today. One of my two favorites - a My Uzi Weighs a Ton (Drew Estate) in the 'Bait Fish' size (4x44 Corona).

I'm in the middle of a week long digital workshop. A pretty intense and heavy workload for about 5-hours in the middle of the day. It was 64-degrees, sunny, but breezy, when I finished up. Wife and I took the pup for a long walk and I burned the stick down. It's important to enjoy the little things in life.

Like how people will glare at you for standing 12-feet away, smoking a cigar, while they wear an N95 mask. Not sure if jealous or grumpy...

Now the challenge, I have just a couple of Rocky Patel 1992s in my favorite size, Petite Corona (4.5x40) left. Do I smoke one this week or save 'em for later?

mtnbkr
03-10-2021, 05:28 AM

I smoked a cigar for the first time in probably 8-months today. One of my two favorites - a My Uzi Weighs a Ton (Drew Estate) in the 'Bait Fish' size (4x44 Corona).

MUWAT's Kentucky Fire Cured are some of my favorites. I also like their Swamp Thing line.

Chris

Joe45
03-10-2021, 06:02 AM

I'm in the middle of a week long digital workshop. A pretty intense and heavy workload for about 5-hours in the middle of the day. It was 64-degrees, sunny, but breezy, when I finished up. Wife and I took the pup for a long walk and I burned the stick down. It's important to enjoy the little things in life.

Like how people will glare at you for standing 12-feet away, smoking a cigar, while they wear an N95 mask. Not sure if jealous or grumpy...

Now the challenge, I have just a couple of Rocky Patel 1992s in my favorite size, Petite Corona (4.5x40) left. Do I smoke one this week or save 'em for later?Smoke 'em and pm me your address. I'll make sure you are restocked with something, Rob.

And you are going way back.. it's just MUAT now. Drew Estate had to drop the full name due to a trademark issue.

trailrunner
03-10-2021, 06:57 AM
Over the winter, I've been timing my weekly cigar for days when it's above freezing and not raining. I have a nice fire pit, so if the weather meets those two criteria I'll make a fire and enjoy my cigar, but to be honest when it's in the 30s it's still a little cold to be outside.

Yesterday was a nice pre-Spring day. When I finished my arduous commute (from my office upstairs to my my patio), I made a fire, but alas, I was out of cigars. Time for a trip to the local store to stock up.

Elwin
03-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Glad to see we already have a thread for this.

I recently took the time to clean and maintain my pipes as they’ve been sitting unused since I graduated from law school and no longer have a daily walk to and from class that I invariably smoked a pipe during (I graduated May of 19). I live in an apartment so walking is about my only option for smoking. Looking forward to nicer weather and a lot of walking, occasionally with a pipe. I’m also working on rehydrating the MM 965 I have left over, and I’m glad Peterson is apparently doing a good job of producing that blend since Dunhill stopped making tobacco. I’d settled on it as the only pipe tobacco I needed.

I smoked a LOT of pipes and cigars (and cigarettes) in college. I can’t go back to smoking daily (really, constantly) like I did then, but fortunately I have spousal approval to continue enjoying the occasional pipe.

RevolverRob
03-10-2021, 11:21 AM

I recently took the time to clean and maintain my pipes as they’ve been sitting unused since I graduated from law school and no longer have a daily walk to and from class that I invariably smoked a pipe during (I graduated May of 19). I live in an apartment so walking is about my only option for smoking. Looking forward to nicer weather and a lot of walking, occasionally with a pipe. I’m also working on rehydrating the MM 965 I have left over, and I’m glad Peterson is apparently doing a good job of producing that blend since Dunhill stopped making tobacco. I’d settled on it as the only pipe tobacco I needed.

I smoked a LOT of pipes and cigars (and cigarettes) in college. I can’t go back to smoking daily (really, constantly) like I did then, but fortunately I have spousal approval to continue enjoying the occasional pipe.

You smoke a pipe, carry a 1911, and are younger than me.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass the "P-F Hipster" title to you, my friend...:eek:

RoyGBiv
03-10-2021, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the reccy on the MM965. I added it to a restock order I had going.

If you enjoy a quick cigar, I've become a big fan of these Ashton Half Corona's. LINK (https://www.smokingpipes.com/cigars/ashton/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=297190).
The Dominican, Connecticut wrapper version (light blue box) is much better than the white-box (Sri Lanka?) version.

Also, two thumbs up for smokingpipes.com .. Good selection, reasonable shipping cost and quick to ship (same/next day).

Seven_Sicks_Two
03-10-2021, 12:39 PM
I smoked a pipe for a couple years in college and a couple years after. I always enjoyed Dunhill Nightcap.

I may have to dig out one of my Petersons and track down a tin of something once the weather warms up.

snow white
03-10-2021, 01:37 PM
I get the itch for a cigar or a pipe every once in a while. When I quit cigarettes cold turkey I told myself I'd never have nicotine ever again. Im pretty reluctant to go down that road... addiction is a bitch.

RevolverRob
03-10-2021, 02:19 PM
I get the itch for a cigar or a pipe every once in a while. When I quit cigarettes cold turkey I told myself I'd never have nicotine ever again. Im pretty reluctant to go down that road... addiction is a bitch.

You Bill Clinton cigars - you're going for the flavor - no tastebuds in the lungs. ;)

snow white
03-10-2021, 02:58 PM
Very true but you are still getting nicotine into your system. I just don't know if its worth it for me....but every now and again I feel like it just might be...

Erik
03-10-2021, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty well-stocked so it's been a long time since I shopped for pipe tobacco. That's a bummer about Dunhill. MM 965 is one of my favorites too. I'm glad to hear there's a decent replacement.

Elwin
03-10-2021, 09:18 PM
You smoke a pipe, carry a 1911, and are younger than me.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass the "P-F Hipster" title to you, my friend...:eek:

I used to object to being called a hipster, but in addition to the above I drink mostly craft beer and bourbon, wear a lot of flannel, and mostly listen to obscure European metal, so I know I’m not doing myself any favors.

That said, I don’t own a single revolver (yet), so I think your title is safe for now.

Elwin
03-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reccy on the MM965. I added it to a restock order I had going.

If you enjoy a quick cigar, I've become a big fan of these Ashton Half Corona's. LINK (https://www.smokingpipes.com/cigars/ashton/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=297190).
The Dominican, Connecticut wrapper version (light blue box) is much better than the white-box (Sri Lanka?) version.

Also, two thumbs up for smokingpipes.com .. Good selection, reasonable shipping cost and quick to ship (same/next day).

I love Ashton cigars as much as my wallet hates them, so I’ll keep an eye out for those. For favorite smoke if price isn’t an object, my easy choice is their Puro Sol. If I care about what I’m spending I’m likely to grab a Perdomo Lot 23.

RoyGBiv
03-14-2021, 04:05 PM
I love Ashton cigars as much as my wallet hates them, so I’ll keep an eye out for those. For favorite smoke if price isn’t an object, my easy choice is their Puro Sol. If I care about what I’m spending I’m likely to grab a Perdomo Lot 23.

Sitting on the back porch enjoying a pipe of the MM. A really nice, balanced blend. Thanks again for the recommendation.

The Ashton Connecticut half coronas are an affordable 12 bucks for a 5 pack. Cheap, compared to their VSGs that are my favorite non Cubanos. I'll keep an eye out for the Puro Sol.

Elwin
03-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Sitting on the back porch enjoying a pipe of the MM. A really nice, balanced blend. Thanks again for the recommendation.

The Ashton Connecticut half coronas are an affordable 12 bucks for a 5 pack. Cheap, compared to their VSGs that are my favorite non Cubanos. I'll keep an eye out for the Puro Sol.

No problem! I spent a lot of time smoking dozens of different English blends and eventually decided that as far as I could tell, 965 did everything any of them did as well or better. Nightcap is the only different one I’ll probably still grab occasionally.

I need to have a porch again - my parents’ house with their big wraparound Victorian porch absolutely spoiled me. Some day, hopefully.

trailrunner
03-14-2021, 05:50 PM
We had some nice weather here in the DC area today, so this afternoon I made a small fire in my fire pit, and had an AVO cigar. A very enjoyable way to spend some time.

SCCY Marshal
07-16-2021, 11:49 PM
Sparked a 6x50 Flor de Oliva, poured a large shot of Pusser's rum over an ice cube, and fired up an irreverent podcast. Now chilling with the beagle in cheap style.

SCCY Marshal
07-31-2021, 07:21 PM
Overtime week full of stupidity and mentioned to the better half that I could use a couple cigars to unwind on the weekend evenings. She, bless her heart, picked up a Flor de Oliva toro (6x50) and an Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 (6x47) yesterday and left them on the counter for me to see when I got home. Currently puffing the Fuente while youngest rubs my most recent mix (Goya adobo, jalapeno powder, hot paprika, kosher salt, finely ground black pepper) on a Boston butt. Will start the pork in the smoker come morning. Undecided between hickory and apple but have 2/3 of the cigar left for contemplation of such matters.

RoyGBiv
08-01-2021, 06:43 AM
Overtime week full of stupidity and mentioned to the better half that I could use a couple cigars to unwind on the weekend evenings. She, bless her heart, picked up a Flor de Oliva toro (6x50) and an Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 (6x47) yesterday and left them on the counter for me to see when I got home. Currently puffing the Fuente while youngest rubs my most recent mix (Goya adobo, jalapeno powder, hot paprika, kosher salt, finely ground black pepper) on a Boston butt. Will start the pork in the smoker come morning. Undecided between hickory and apple but have 2/3 of the cigar left for contemplation of such matters.

Always Hickory with Butt.

We are blessed with a full house for the next few weeks until the kids return to school and/or start new jobs.
Wife was clearly needing a break from the bustle on Thursday afternoon, so I took her to a local cigar bar for a drink and a smoke. I had
shopped there before but never stayed for a drink. We both had Ashtons in different sizes, both with Connecticut wrapper. The draft stout was good and Wife enjoyed her fizzy gin something. Returned home a few hours later with attitudes properly adjusted.
:cool:

SCCY Marshal
08-01-2021, 07:42 AM
Always Hickory with Butt.

Going to start the first couple hours with hickory and then the remaining cook time with a hickory/apple mix. Feeling adventurous.

SCCY Marshal
08-29-2021, 08:21 PM
Wife brought me a tin of Macanudo Ascot cigarillos, 4.2x32, when she came back from her trip. Brought it to the pub tonight when I dragged a friend out. We lit up after and went boulder hopping at the river as the drizzle wetted everything. I managed to finish mine while he lost his in the drink at the final third. He bit his cap and I cut mine with a sharp Opinel. The wrappers, as is so common in a cigarillo, were fragile and I'll bite the rest. Cutting isn't any cleaner.

While more expensive than the H. Upmann Demi Tasse that I like, these come in a nice tin and also taste good. Having only a sample of two, I still need to see if the Macanudo has as many blockages in the cigars as the Upmann cigarillos do.

The little things aren't cheap enough to be a regular feature in life (the H. Upmann Demi Tasse are if you keep a long needle handy to pierce plugs), particularly for a pipe guy. But I can see myself regularly buying a tin to bring to parties as hand-outs. Light easily, taste good and mild for most to appreciate, small enough to avoid vitamin N overdoses, and not intimidating. Metal pack to protect them and look charming while offering the cigars to others.

I'll give a few more away out of this tin on my next shift. One to a coworker fresh off Wuhan Flu isolation as a welcome back, one to our dip guy, and another to the cigarette smoker in the little social circle. We have a dinner coming up for some of us long-timers but I'm thinking a handful of Macanudo Café Court would be better after the meal. Bit bigger, individually tubed, wrapper on as well as a fullsize cigar, less fragile, still mild yet tasy, and prettier.

perlslacker
08-29-2021, 08:58 PM
I'm always buying samplers from Fox Cigar and CigarBid to try different things. My favorite so far is probably either the Illusione Rothschilde or the Guardian Of The Farm series.

But my go-toes are either the AF 8-5-8 or an Oliva Connecticut Reserve. Both are reasonably-priced, accessible to guests who don't really smoke, but also good enough that enthusiasts won't turn their nose up at them.

SCCY Marshal
08-31-2021, 11:49 AM
Took the oldest swimming, rock sliding, and stone skipping while youngest had a violin lesson. I decided to test last week's experiment between dips.

My manpurse has a small screw top Nalgene jar of home mixed tobacco and a corncob at all times. The jar usually contains the dregs of whatever tin was last finished bulked up with drugstore cavendish, Carter Hall, or whatever. At the last fill, I had no crumbs to seed the jar. So I decided to try my hand at making Carter Hall more sociable. It's simple but heavy on the burley which makes it nicely nutty but much to cigarette-y a room note, beard note, and breath before brushing teeth for others to usually find pleasant. So I mixed half a jar Carter Hall with between a 1/4 and 3/8ths jar drugstore cherry cavendish, and remainder black cavendish. The OTC cherry blend is boring and bland by the end of a bowl on its own but does have an agreeable room note. It was added to perfume the reek without overwhelming the honest burley of the Carter Hall. Black cavendish to help meld the two and round out the jar with something mild and a bit sweet smelling without overdoing the cherry cavendish.

I was outdoors in a shifting breeze but it smoked a bit like a mild granola bar and what whiffs I caught of the reek seemed promising. With so much Carter Hall in my mini-blend, it burned very well despite the cool burning cavendishes.

Skipped stones, rock hopped, pet the beagle, talked to a runner taking a break at the riverside, and threw rocks while puffing my corncob. Then knocked the dottle, inserted a pipe cleaner, and jumped back in the river for a while. Going back to the flavor a vit similar to granola bars, our snack consisted of a palmful of G.O.R.P. which went nicely with the pipe's aftertaste.

Cheap fun, today.

RoyGBiv
08-31-2021, 03:30 PM
Took the oldest swimming, rock sliding, and stone skipping while youngest had a violin lesson. I decided to test last week's experiment between dips.

My manpurse has a small screw top Nalgene jar of home mixed tobacco and a corncob at all times. The jar usually contains the dregs of whatever tin was last finished bulked up with drugstore cavendish, Carter Hall, or whatever. At the last fill, I had no crumbs to seed the jar. So I decided to try my hand at making Carter Hall more sociable. It's simple but heavy on the burley which makes it nicely nutty but much to cigarette-y a room note, beard note, and breath before brushing teeth for others to usually find pleasant. So I mixed half a jar Carter Hall with between a 1/4 and 3/8ths jar drugstore cherry cavendish, and remainder black cavendish. The OTC cherry blend is boring and bland by the end of a bowl on its own but does have an agreeable room note. It was added to perfume the reek without overwhelming the honest burley of the Carter Hall. Black cavendish to help meld the two and round out the jar with something mild and a bit sweet smelling without overdoing the cherry cavendish.

I was outdoors in a shifting breeze but it smoked a bit like a mild granola bar and what whiffs I caught of the reek seemed promising. With so much Carter Hall in my mini-blend, it burned very well despite the cool burning cavendishes.

Skipped stones, rock hopped, pet the beagle, talked to a runner taking a break at the riverside, and threw rocks while puffing my corncob. Then knocked the dottle, inserted a pipe cleaner, and jumped back in the river for a while. Going back to the flavor a vit similar to granola bars, our snack consisted of a palmful of G.O.R.P. which went nicely with the pipe's aftertaste.

Cheap fun, today.
I've started playing around with blending Bourbons. Mostly the pedestrian versions of things I like. But, I've never tried blending tobaccos. I might give that a try, blending something my wife likes the aroma of with something else I prefer.... Thanks for the inspiration.

SCCY Marshal
09-04-2021, 11:23 AM
Swung by a little beer and smoke shop on my lunchtime bike ride into town. Talked to the proprietor as he was opening for the afternoon and yesterday was evidently a bust. So I dropped entirely too much money in an attempt to seed the day's business in positive fashion. Two Alec Bradley Americam Classic 6.5x52 torpedos, two Arturo Fuente 4.5x50 Rothschild maduros, and two maduro Punch Champion sticks oficially 4.5x60 but that is at the center of the delicious looking perfectos. Pipe tobacco in stock consisted of a quartet of tinned CAO aromatics. Grabbed Eileen's Dream just because. All that ready for tonight plus the remaining half-tin of Macanudo cigarillos, some Carter Hall, and a cellared tin of Ten Russians.

I am hosting an outdoor Bad Movie Double Feature this evening so hopefully guests help me with all this. Tobacconist seemed happy I was intending to make a proper cigar offering when entertaining guests.

Borderland
09-04-2021, 01:00 PM
I smoke 3 or 4 cigars a week but never contributed to this thread. I know what a $10 cigar is and every cigar smoker should try at least one. Unfortunately I can't afford to smoke those all the time but occasionally my DIL, who is from Ecuador where they grow great tobacco, gifts me a few Cohibas or Perdomos. Back when I had a job I smoked those.

I'm usually a $5 cigar buyer and I buy them by the box. Those are smokeable if you find the right blend. Lately I've been smoking La Aurora 1987 Connecticut which is a blend I enjoy. La Aurora is a company in the Dominican Republic that's been in business there for 118 years. They grow a lot of their own tobacco.

I've never been a cigarette smoker and started smoking cigars about 20 years ago.

perlslacker
09-04-2021, 01:14 PM
I smoke 3 or 4 cigars a week but never contributed to this thread. I know what a $10 cigar is and every cigar smoker should try at least one. Unfortunately I can't afford to smoke those all the time but occasionally my DIL, who is from Ecuador where they grow great tobacco, gifts me a few Cohibas or Perdomos. Back when I had a job I smoked those.

I'm usually a $5 cigar buyer and I buy them by the box. Those are smokeable if you find the right blend. Lately I've been smoking La Aurora 1987 Connecticut which is a blend I enjoy. La Aurora is a company in the Dominican Republic that's been in business there for 118 years. They grow a lot of their own tobacco.

I've never been a cigarette smoker and started smoking cigars about 20 years ago.

I discovered CigarBid recently and, if you know what you like, the Freefall auctions are a good way to get boxes at a pretty good discount.

You can get Oliva Connecticut Reserve cigars for $4-$5/stick if you buy by the box. I don't know what a "good" B&M price on those is, but the stores by me charge about $10 a stick for the Churchill vitola. There's also a bunch of CAOs for cheap usually.

You may have to rest 'em for a while before they smoke well, though. They don't ship with Boveda packs like some of the fancier online retailers do.

And their "combine shipping" option creates a strong temptation to buy extra stuff to "make shipping worth it." It gets expensive saving all that money :D

E: oof, they've got boxes of AVO Classic No 2s going for about $150 rn. Retail on those is usually $200. Someone here should buy them all so I'm not tempted

Elwin
09-04-2021, 04:33 PM
For cheap cigars I had really good luck with rebranded “seconds,” specifically “La Flor Dominicana,” which I believe is rebranded/second/budget line Olivas. I also really like Perdomo’s Fresco line for a cheap smoke.

While it’s still a non smoking property, our new town house has a deck, and my wife has told me to go for it - if our neighbors are narcs, it’s mutually assured destruction since their fire pit is also verboten. I may need to just order some more MM965. I think the bulk stuff I’ve had around for two years is past rehydrating.

SCCY Marshal
09-05-2021, 10:09 AM
I was a little surprised to see the tobacco selection of some guests at last night's screening.

- One found out we had a cigar bar going and donated the tin of Cohiba Red Dot cigarillos from his jacket pocket. I immediately tried one and they are tasty. Sturdier than the Macanudo sticks I'd added to the pile, fuller flavored, and pre-cut for the novices. I'd get a tin of the Cohinas for taking to partiea now that I've experienced them. A complete newbie to tobacco had one as his first ever cigar.

- An Eastern European brought a pack of papirosa from his last trip to see family pre-apocalypse. I'm not a cigarette smoker and typically dislike them to begin with. But I'll double-pinch the tube and spark a papirosa the rare day I'm around some. The one cig. addct attending hit them hard, though. "They appeal to the minimalist in me. Pinch a tube to make a keep tobacco out of your teeth, plain tobacco, no litter."

- Our rank novice asked me to show him how to pack a pipe and selected Carter Hall after my quick description of the offerings. His first pack was better than my own had been and he had it burning well before tapping out halfway through the bowl. The vitamin N was hitting him by that point. He had also opted for a filter. The pipe smoker attending had a bowl of my beloved Mac Baren Plumcake. And I had a medium cob of Eileen's Dream. It was better than expected but I'd stick to small bowls going forward and using it as an additive in hand blends. It was cloying to me by the end.

- No one considered the fullsize torpedoes. Cigarillos, robustos, and Fuente Short Story sized perfectos had consistently been the biggest hits at social events in my experience. I think the robusto size seems less intimidating but is still a full cigar. While cigarillos are just quick and easy for people to deal with.

I'm going to kill a couple leftover sticks, today (one after the cook-out I'm attending after work and other as a nightcap) to get them gone as I don't maintain a humidor then take the work week or more off tobacco entirely. Last night was a bit nuts.

The little Punch perfecto was delicious, by the way. Not to strong in flavor or nicotine for a sporadic to outright infrequent pipe hobbyist but still reasonably complex and easy to get along with. Stayed with it until my moustache was at risk being singed. Most appreciated was the mild and short-lived aftertaste. When my smoke is over, I want it over. When I brush my teeth, I want my mouth back. The real heavy sticks that stay with you are very much not my thing. Oh, it was also the first cigar I ever punched. I prefer a pocket knife but tried something different and can see the appeal even though I don't like the mouthfeel as much as a cut.

RoyGBiv
09-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Cohibas. I've been smoking mostly Ashton and Fuente cigarillos and half coronas recently, mostly due to it being too hot outside to smoke a full cigar. Will give the Cohibas a try next time I see them. Genuine Cohiba Cubanos are my favorites by far, but I've been disappointed by the no - Cuban versions so far. Always willing to give it another try.

SCCY Marshal
09-05-2021, 04:54 PM
Just keep in mind I'm gradimg on the inexpensive cigarillo scale. They're tiny but taste better than most.

trailrunner
09-05-2021, 06:40 PM
This evening I had an Ashton Churchill while reading Max Hasting's latest book Operation Pedestal.

SCCY Marshal
09-15-2021, 12:57 PM
It's been a damp day walking the hound in search of fresh bear trails. Only one remedy: to pack a bowl of my grandfather's blend, step straight back out to his favorite deck, and sit with a book.

He favored the smaller Dr. Grabow pipes versus my beloved cobs. I'll need to procure a couple. As many memories as the scent of Borkum Riff bourbon whiskey blend brought back, the room note just isn't quite the same as from a medium chambered briar. A simple and relatively inexpensive fix is in order.

A small jar has already been stuffed full of the bourbon blend to bring on the weekend's bear hunt. Will have to make my lunch a buttered sandwich of canned corned beef salad with his ever-present sweet pepper relish and toast it over a fire beside a mountain brook while puffing the thin and sharp aromatic.

Archer1440
09-16-2021, 10:52 AM
These are my go-to after a particularly long ride.

perlslacker
09-17-2021, 11:06 AM
jealous!

I haven't gotten into Cubans. Mostly because (I'm told) a lot of them need to age and I don't have that kind of patience. I can't imagine buying a box of Monte #2s (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2s) and having them sit for 2 years before I could enjoy them.

Borderland
09-17-2021, 11:48 AM
Many of the Cuban cigar company owners left Cuba when their companies were nationalized. Many set up operations in the Dominican Republic and FL.

Here's a pretty good list of Dominican cigars if you want a $20 cigar.

https://bespokeunit.com/cigars/best/dominican-republic/

entropy
09-17-2021, 08:30 PM

Erik
09-17-2021, 09:42 PM
Plum pudding is one of my favorites, usually in one of these:

https://assets.peterson.ie/images/products/ARF999---NH--FF.9637.jpg

RoyGBiv
09-17-2021, 09:50 PM
OK. Bookmarked.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/seattle-pipe-club-plum-pudding-pipe-tobacco/1470342/

entropy
09-17-2021, 10:37 PM
Plum pudding is one of my favorites, usually in one of these:

https://assets.peterson.ie/images/products/ARF999---NH--FF.9637.jpg

I just picked up the pictured Brebbia Aero Author and needed to break it in. So far, I’m impressed.

Whiskey
09-19-2021, 09:53 PM
I seem to be the odd man out. I cant enjoy Plum Pudding. Can't get it to stay lit, for one.

entropy
09-20-2021, 08:48 AM
Try breaking it apart and letting it sit out for half to an hour before you pack it.

SCCY Marshal
09-20-2021, 09:48 AM
I'm outclassed. Heading out with youngesy to see if a murder flies over a common spot. Have a Rob Roy shaped straight corncob in my pocket with a madeira cork holding in a pack of Half & Half.

Elwin
09-20-2021, 04:13 PM
Work is hell lately so I decided I deserved half a bowl of 965 out of my little travel sized vintage Grabow while I went out for coffee over lunch. Too busy to post a pic but I’m sure I’ll get it added to this thread at some point.

Antique shops are great places to buy pipes if you’re willing to do some cleaning, and some of my best smokers are pipes that didn’t cost much in their day (or when I found them), but were well-maintained and have briar that aged beautifully. A Kaywoodie Canadian I found that was made in the 1920s is especially nice.

Erik
09-20-2021, 04:15 PM
Work is hell lately so I decided I deserved half a bowl of 965 out of my little travel sized vintage Grabow while I went out for coffee over lunch. Too busy to post a pic but I’m sure I’ll get it added to this thread at some point.

Antique shops are great places to buy pipes if you’re willing to do some cleaning, and some of my best smokers are pipes that didn’t cost much in their day (or when I found them), but were well-maintained and have briar that aged beautifully. A Kaywoodie Canadian I found that was made in the 1920s is especially nice.

I have some really wonderful pipes that I found on ebay.

Elwin
09-20-2021, 07:40 PM
I have some really wonderful pipes that I found on ebay.

That works too. My Stanwell is a favorite and it was an eBay find.

entropy
09-20-2021, 08:22 PM

The Brebbia has quickly become my favorite. Most...OK all of my pipes are fairly low end. This was a bourbon fueled purchase that worked out much better than expected. I guess I never realized how much difference a quality pipe could make. The ashtray is a family “antique” that needs a bit of polish. It has both my parents names stamped on the bottom and appears to be a solid block of machined aluminum. Unfortunately, they’re not around to inquire anymore, so I’ll have to add it to the list of questions to ask later.

The Mac Baren Vanilla Flake is wonderful stuff. The room note is worthy enough that both the wife and dog seem to enjoy it... It has a steady flavor, no bite, and leaves nothing but fine ash.

SCCY Marshal
09-21-2021, 08:30 AM
The Mac Baren Vanilla Flake is wonderful stuff. The room note is worthy enough that both the wife and dog seem to enjoy it... It has a steady flavor, no bite, and leaves nothing but fine ash.

Ever play with Mac Baren Plumcake enough to draw a comparison? If it's as lightly topped to subtly round out the already quality tobacxo and sweeten the room note as Plumcake, I'll gladly try a tin.

entropy
09-21-2021, 09:22 AM
Ever play with Mac Baren Plumcake enough to draw a comparison? If it's as lightly topped to subtly round out the already quality tobacxo and sweeten the room note as Plumcake, I'll gladly try a tin.

No, but I’ve got a tin in the cart at WatchCity to give it a whirl.

I have some Hearth & Home Knotty Pine. I’m concerned. I’m concerned because when I cracked the tin, I decided it should be renamed “Homeless Arse”. You never know though...it could be wonderful. Just in case however, I will try it in an old corn cob...

Elwin
09-21-2021, 12:30 PM
Have a pic from today’s break finishing the second half. This time it’s celebratory because the case that was making work hell just settled.

This little pipe has probably been smoked more than any of my others just because it’s small, portable, and convenient. 77464

RoyGBiv
09-22-2021, 04:26 PM
FWIW.... I have been very happy ordering from https://www.smokingpipes.com
Prices are a bit less than WatchCity, shipping is USPS Priority at reasonable price and they always ship by next business day.

Gonna try some of the Mac Baren... Thanks for the reccys.

Erik
09-22-2021, 04:34 PM
Have a pic from today’s break finishing the second half. This time it’s celebratory because the case that was making work hell just settled.

This little pipe has probably been smoked more than any of my others just because it’s small, portable, and convenient.

Please tell me that's not really a zippo in that pic.

trailrunner
09-22-2021, 05:48 PM
I ran up to the local cigar shop to replenish my supply. While I was there I asked about pipes. They have a small selection and, since this is my very first pipe, the owner suggested I try a simple, inexpensive corn cob pipe to see if I like it. Sold. He also recommended some tobacco good for first timers (I think it was called 1Q?). Sold. Hopefully I can give it a try this weekend.

entropy
09-22-2021, 05:55 PM
Mac Baren Plumbcacke on the way along with some Hartwell Evening Stroll via WatchCity. Agreed on SmokingPipes. They didn’t have the evening stroll in stock tho.

The Knotty Pine???... Don’t ask. 🤢

The penis truck dropped off some 58% Boveda’s today. Anxious to see how those work. Everything is out of the tins and into small canning jars presently. Need to find a way to store those in the mancave. (Maybe an old wood soda pop crate to hang on the wall?)

Elwin
09-22-2021, 06:31 PM
Please tell me that's not really a zippo in that pic.

It definitely is. With the pipe insert inside. I know, Zippo fluid has a flavor to it. I still prefer using a Zippo for multiple reasons, one of them being convenience and another being that it’s a very cool flame that I prefer for relighting. And the flavor isn’t super noticeable with the tobacco I use, for me at least.

RoyGBiv
09-22-2021, 06:36 PM
It definitely is. With the pipe insert inside. I know, Zippo fluid has a flavor to it. I still prefer using a Zippo for multiple reasons, one of them being convenience and another being that it’s a very cool flame that I prefer for relighting. And the flavor isn’t super noticeable with the tobacco I use, for me at least.

+1 Zippo with pipe insert and Ronsonoil.

I'm a n00b, what do I know?

What's the Glock version of a pipe lighter? :o

Elwin
09-22-2021, 06:54 PM
What's the Glock version of a pipe lighter? :o

Definitely not the Zippo. Metal. Late 19th/early 20th Century tech. Requires multiple forms of maintenance. Has a soul. Served in WWII. It’s much more like a 1911.

Erik
09-22-2021, 07:07 PM
I won't knock the Zippo if it works for you, but I can't bring myself to do it. I tried a lot of lighters and settled on the IM Cornona Old Boy: https://www.amazon.com/IM-Corona-Old-Chromium-Lighter/dp/B004P6Q3XI It's a little pricey but it's the best I tried, runs for ages on a refill and has an angled flame for lighting pipes. I've been using it for years now. I don't think you can call it the Glock of lighters though. Maybe more like the 1911 or Hi-Power, or a Japanese manufactured Winchester. A Bic is probably your Glock equivalent and it works but you'll burn your fingers here and there.

@entropy (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=3134), I looked at the mix on that Knotty Pine the other day and was wondering what you would think. It doesn't have any of the cavendish that the plum pudding adds for sweetness. I suspect it's something I might like because I'm fan of Balkans and straight English mixes and don't do sweeter or flavored tobaccos as much. I like them for the same reason I like Islay scotches and lapsong shusong tea - very smoky. But if you favor sweeter or flavored tobaccos it doesn't surprise me it's not for you.

ETA: Don't get me wrong. I love the Zippo. But since I gave up the Luckies, mine just sits in drawer and pines.

SCCY Marshal
09-22-2021, 07:17 PM
...He also recommended some tobacco good for first timers (I think it was called 1Q?)

Lane 1-Q is the best-selling bulk tobacco in the United States. It has a very mild flavor like a vanilla marshmallow vapor and might be hard for a cigar regular to taste. The room note is mild and inoffensive as bonuses with its low cost and good quality base cavendish tobacco. 1-Q burns rather well for breaking in new pipes, as well.

Speaking of that, your cob will let you know when you are about done smoking for the first couple-three bowls. As the hardwood stem chars, you'll taste it. If that flavor offends, just dump the dottle. I personally power through a few times to get the charring out of the way.

SCCY Marshal
09-22-2021, 07:42 PM
Forgot to mention the cob's filter. As Missouri Meerschaum cobs have a wide-open draw, I'd suggest using the filter for the first bowl, at least. It'll keep chunk or an ember from coming back at you if you take a rip rather than a sip toward the bottom of the bowl. They'll still catch chunks if cut in half, by the way. I don't use filters but do try to keep a box around for guests and newbies.

EVP
09-22-2021, 08:15 PM
Can any of the seasoned pipe smokers offer some recommended brands of mid tier pipes?

I have only dabbled with entry level and want to experience more dedicated time to a pipe this fall/winter.

Whiskey
09-23-2021, 12:46 AM
Can any of the seasoned pipe smokers offer some recommended brands of mid tier pipes?

I have only dabbled with entry level and want to experience more dedicated time to a pipe this fall/winter.

Rossi and Chacom are the two "nicer?" pipes I have used. I know there are many more expensive pipes for certain. The Rossi Vittoria I have I got at a local shop, for roughly 60 bucks. Which is about 20 more than online. The Chacom I bought at a reputable online store for just over 100 dollars, it is one of their "pipe of the year" models from a year or two ago. They are both rough texture briar, but have different dimensions.

There is a very slight difference in the smoke from one to the other, but is it a 60 dollar difference? I enjoy them both, but the slightly larger, slightly nicer Chacom is my favorite.

Elwin
09-23-2021, 06:52 AM

It’s been forever since I was shopping for pipes or keeping up with market offerings, but in addition to Rossi and Chacom, Savinelli and Stanwell come to mind. Stanwell is the only one of the four I have myself, and it’s just the one. Peterson is also in the range but you hear inconsistent things about their quality control. I like the two I have but the one I bought new definitely has minor cosmetic issues that don’t belong on a $80-$100 pipe. The other one is very nice but it’s older, and I don’t know by how much. Could be a lot.

As mentioned upthread, eBay is a great place to look. I don’t remember what I paid for my Stanwell but it was well below what it would’ve cost new. Not $10 for a Peterson at an antique shop low, but probably something like $60 for a $100 pipe.

I do find there to be a real difference between my Stanwell, Petersons, and vintage Grabows/Kaywoodies on the one hand, and the no-name $20 grab basket briars I started off buying in local shops on the other. If it were me, I’d consider buying one pipe in the $60-$80 range (or whatever you consider mid-range and are comfortable with), seeing if I liked it, and then buying a second one in the same price range so I have two to alternate between.

entropy
09-23-2021, 08:39 AM
I didn’t initially reply because I don’t consider myself knowledgeable enough to recommend how people spend their money. I will toss out this however:

I have found that the shape of the pipe has more to do with it (for me) than the particular manufacturer. I have a number of more “traditional” shaped pipes (both straight and bent, some belonging to my father) but found the “author” shape of my recent Brebbia purchase to be something that really changed the experience for me. The actual bowl is beefy and naturally cradles in my hand. The stem is wide and feels more natural to me when I’m using it. It balances well. The larger overall size (although kinda short and squat) keeps it from overheating, holds enough to make the limited amount I use it worthwhile, and the whole package just seems to “work” for me.

It’s hard to explain, but the enjoyment for me comes from the ritual and the process. It allows me to escape and put my increasingly limited brainpower into something besides work and the troubles of the day. The particular shape and type of pipe I seem to have stumbled upon allows me to do this.

I’d look at it from the above direction as well. Like pistols, everyone is different in what they seek. All the above said, the $100 bucks I spent on that Brebbia Aero Author I consider very well spent. I purchased it from SmokingPipes and have been very satisfied with their shipping and overall CS.

Hope this helps you.

JAD
09-23-2021, 03:38 PM
Pipes and cigars gateway me right back the Pall Malls, but back in college my favorite was Erimore:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/erinmore-flake-pipe-tobacco/1439887/#p-97268

I had a couple of Petersons which were my strong preference; I just looked, and they don't seem to have the upward-facing hole in the stem that I used to enjoy. I also have a lovely Jobey lying around somewhere.

Erik
09-23-2021, 04:09 PM
I have a fair number of pipes at this point. There are a lot of really nice ones out there and some good makers. I'd agree with all of the recommendations so far but if I was going to pick one to start with (or, probably, pick a favorite out of the ones I have) it would be a Stanwell. I've got a few and I like them all. There are some nice versions to be had for under $100 and in the past at least, Pipes and Cigars has run really good sales on them from time to time. https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/stanwell-brand/1701496/
(https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/stanwell-brand/1701496/)
As far as shapes, I'd say pick one that looks nice to you and that feels good in the hand. That's obviously easier to do if you find an actual brick and mortar vendor but you can at least get an idea from looking. I have a couple of Stanwell 86s that I love - looks good, feels good, smokes really nicely.

https://img.pipesandcigars.com/p/500/pm/p/pm-pswbd-86-s_view2.png?v=313353&format=jpg

Don't buy a pipe that's listed as a 9mm unless you want to use filters (which I don't).

RoyGBiv
09-23-2021, 04:19 PM

In my very amateur opinion, start off with something inexpensive and learn how to pack it properly. I'd wager you'll be lots less annoyed/frustrated learning to pack a small investment than "WTF can't I keep this thing lit" $100 keepsake.

My first pipe was a Nording Churchwarden. I went with the long stem expecting it to smoke cooler. After smoking shorter stem pipes, I don't find much difference. My second pipe was one I found on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/264750480463). It was $10 cheaper when I bought it a year ago :rolleyes:. I liked the look of it and really liked the shape, for the built-in pipe stand (very handy). Unfortunately, I managed to break 2 stems at the tenon and have not had it repaired yet...

Current favorite was a gift from a friend.... purchased at a local tobacco shop. Pipe is marked Capri Albania. Smokes very nicely. I just Googled the brand for the first time... The made in Italy stuff from Capri is very spendy. The Albania-made pipes seem to be in the $50 range online.

ETA... I bought this cheap pipe tool from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7F8C23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Works great. Have never bothered looking for anything more fancy.
I'll leave it open for a gift opportunity from the wife or kids...

EVP
09-23-2021, 08:59 PM
Thanks all you gents!

Yung
09-23-2021, 09:54 PM
Seconding that IM Corona Old Boy. I've had mine for over a decade.

Here's a review (https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/vintage-styling-and-quality-continued-the-im-corona-old-boy/) to read for those on the fence.

RoyGBiv
12-13-2021, 06:45 PM
Really enjoying the MB VF... Vanilla is not overpowering. As much as I enjoyed the Sutliff Vanilla Custard when I first started smoking a pipe, I guess my tastes are moving up from the heavily flavored stuff to the more refined. Like going from Whie Zin to Merlot.... not yet Cabernet. :o

Didn't enjoy the MB Plumcake nearly as much as the Vanilla Flake or nearly as much as the SPC version.Not at all bad, but, would go with the SPC instead.

Great stuff! First bowl was a bit of a headache to keep lit, it was so moist. I wound up shredding some extra, put it in a ziplock and let it set on top of the can for 2 days. Dried out just enough to light well. A little sweetness, a little smoky, but not over the top. Really enjoying this.

KevH
12-24-2021, 02:52 AM

I really like the newer Kaywoodies that Bill Feuerbach is making. It's easy to get a good pipe for less than $60 from them: https://greywoodie.com

If you poke around you can find a nice new Savinelli for around $70 or $80.

In my opinion of the current "big names" Savinelli is by fare the most consistent quality wise.

I have three older Dunhills that I have acquired over the years. The last one, a 1960's Group 4 Shell Briar billiard, was barely used and I found it on eBay for $55. Deals are out there.

Erik
12-24-2021, 11:50 AM
I really like the newer Kaywoodies that Bill Feuerbach is making. It's easy to get a good pipe for less than $60 from them: https://greywoodie.com

I had no idea these existed. Thank you.