PDA

View Full Version : PX4 Questions for the expert (s)

Polecat
10-26-2022, 04:26 PM
Gang, Has anyone see the Langdon Carry version out in retail? Not the compact but the one that is a bit bigger? Also, why did they use a different lockup on the sub compact version? Also interesting is supposedly the PX4 is getting an update. This was mentioned by their President on a TFB interview. I only hope they thin it out a bit. I would love a Micro DA/SA. I hope they revisit the Type C with standard rear sights for flexibility. Thanks for your inight and thoughts gang.

Dave

Noah
10-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Gang, Has anyone see the Langdon Carry version out in retail? Not the compact but the one that is a bit bigger? Also, why did they use a different lockup on the sub compact version? Also interesting is supposedly the PX4 is getting an update. This was mentioned by their President on a TFB interview. I only hope they thin it out a bit. I would love a Micro DA/SA. I hope they revisit the Type C with standard rear sights for flexibility. Thanks for your inight and thoughts gang.

Dave

The PX4 Carry is a standard PX4 full size with the same mods as the PX4CC. It was a smaller run that was not as widely available. I have a PX4CC and then a standard PX4 with a stipple job, Langdon TJIB, stealth levers, and fiber optic LPAs. You can see them in my profile pic.

There was not enough room in the sub compact for the rotating barrel lockup, though they could have just kept the already short compact slide.

I would love to see a PX4 with some grip texture, stealth levers, and modern sights and an optic cut as a factory option. I call it the PX4A1 when my friends make fun of me for holding out hope. The PX4 is right up there with HK as the most durable and reliable lightweight polymer frame DA/SA pistols available.

PX4 mags, holsters, and parts are widely available, so I would hope a touched up variant would remain compatible.

Everyone who likes DA/SA wants a micro compact DA/SA, but a Glock with an SCD remains about the closest thing. I just get by with my PX4CC for Enigma/deeper carry stuff and the full size for day to day AIWB and nightsand use. It didn't sound like a Beretta micro compact was imminent in the interview. I'm sure a DA/SA micro will come eventually, but it's plain to see why it's harder to do. A hammer system isn't as shrink friendly as a striker system.

JTQ
10-26-2022, 07:21 PM
The last shipment of PX4 Carry's, the full size guns, became available in late March of 2021. I believe they were available in stock until Jun/Jul 2021 time frame before they were all gone.

They may have been originally available in 2019, but were out of stock for probably all of 2020. I missed their first run of availability, and got on their mailing list in either late 2020, or Jan of 2021. I got the email they were back in stock on 31 Mar 21, and placed my order that day. They had some delivery issues with the NP3 Langdon Performance Trigger Bar, and the gun didn't get to my FFL until early May.

I believe the first run came with the Stealth decocker levers, but my gun from the second run came with the Carry decocker levers. I prefer the Carry levers and glad my gun came with them.

JTQ
10-26-2022, 07:35 PM
Gang, Has anyone see the Langdon Carry version out in retail?

Dave
I believe the Carry version has always been a Langdon exclusive, so you won't see it anywhere other than at LTT https://langdontactical.com

Here beginning at about the 4:20 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thY1F6f92Xg

MattyD380
10-26-2022, 08:14 PM
Hmm. I'm curious about the "update" on the PX4s. I saw James (at TFBTV) spoke with a senior guy at Beretta, recently--gonna have to check that out.

I'm pretty sure they designed a PX4 Compact in .45. The manual even references the .45 version (compact). I've love to see that come to fruition. Not that I need a .45 caliber compact-ish PX4... but... for a smaller .45, I think the rotating barrel just makes sense. I had a Cougar in .45 for a minute. It was... dreamy.

More aggressive grip texture... yes. Lower profile levers... yes. Optics ready... I don't personally want that, but... yes.

It'd be cool to see a metal frame, too--make it a bit more premium feeling, give it a little more weight. I'd bite.

Basher
10-26-2022, 10:09 PM
I’m looking to acquire my first PX4, but my thoughts:

My interest in the PX4 is as a lighter, somewhat smaller EDC alternative to my LTT 92G Centurion. So I’d love to see an updated PX4/PX4 Slim w/ improved grip texture and a thinner cross section. Reducing overall width would require a redesigned mag, but if Shield can fit 15rnds into the G48 frame, Beretta could as well. The limiting factor would likely be the slide as the rotating barrel needs enough meat to function, I’d assume.

But yeah, a slimmer, lighter DA/SA w/ a 13-15+1 capacity and the ability to get an RDO cut for a 507K or the new EPS would be amazing. I don’t ask for much, do I? :)

LockedBreech
10-26-2022, 10:19 PM
Hmm. I'm curious about the "update" on the PX4s. I saw James (at TFBTV) spoke with a senior guy at Beretta, recently--gonna have to check that out.

I'm pretty sure they designed a PX4 Compact in .45. The manual even references the .45 version (compact). I've love to see that come to fruition. Not that I need a .45 caliber compact-ish PX4... but... for a smaller .45, I think the rotating barrel just makes sense. I had a Cougar in .45 for a minute. It was... dreamy.

More aggressive grip texture... yes. Lower profile levers... yes. Optics ready... I don't personally want that, but... yes.

It'd be cool to see a metal frame, too--make it a bit more premium feeling, give it a little more weight. I'd bite.

The PX4 was my first pistol in 2007, and it remains one of my best. I have strong nostalgia and affection for the platform. If they release even an incremental update, I will not be able to resist. I saw the post about the update and just mentally deducted $800 from checking.

Polecat
10-26-2022, 10:22 PM
Thanks all, good info. Yeah even just better texture, sight options, and Ootic readiness would be huge step. I would like better backstrap concept too. This is one that would benefit from a “tweener” concept, as in just thin it out some, same with a potential micro, don’t necessarily go all in for DA/SA P365 size, but ust meet em half way so it is better. Less is more!

thatguybryan
10-26-2022, 10:24 PM
Agree with all the posts above mine. A new px4 with some texture on the side panels would be fantastic and I would not be able to resist. I kind of hope they modify the compact light rail to be more universal as well.

HeavyDuty
10-27-2022, 06:37 AM
I really was all fired up to get a PX4CC but after handling normal Compacts twice I just couldn’t commit. They have a lot going for them, especially with the LTT mods. Maybe a refreshed model will work better for me.

perlslacker
10-27-2022, 08:31 AM

Dave

Do you have a link to the interview?

E: nvm, found it https://youtu.be/e-H3bU9qFGo?t=794

If I were voting on upgrades, I'd say factory RDO option and better grip texturing. If there were some way to do the rail differently on the Compact so a real WML could attach, that would be nice but I don't think that would be feasible.

Noah
10-27-2022, 09:20 AM
Do you have a link to the interview?

E: nvm, found it https://youtu.be/e-H3bU9qFGo?t=794

If I were voting on upgrades, I'd say factory RDO option and better grip texturing. If there were some way to do the rail differently on the Compact so a real WML could attach, that would be nice but I don't think that would be feasible.

The TLR7A Sub kinda fixes the rail issue, and changing it would remove holster compatibility. But otherwise, there's no reason the rail shouldn't just extend to the end of the slide.

Blacked out rear sight like the 92X lineup, grip texture like the 92X lineup, short reset trigger bar w/o the FPB cutout like the 92X lineup, and a red dot cut, you guessed it, like the 92X lineup. Would be nice. And the stealth/carry levers.

Guerrero
10-27-2022, 10:23 AM
This would probably cause us to need new mags and holsters but... Ernest Langdon stated the reason why the PX4 is slightly chunky and why it can't take 92 mags is that is was designed from the ground up to be a .40 or a 9mm gun. If they were to redesign it to be 9mm only, they could probably get it slimmer.

perlslacker
10-27-2022, 10:42 AM
The TLR7A Sub kinda fixes the rail issue

When I said a real WML I meant like a X300

gc70
10-27-2022, 10:48 AM
This would probably cause us to need new mags and holsters but... Ernest Langdon stated the reason why the PX4 is slightly chunky and why it can't take 92 mags is that is was designed from the ground up to be a .40 or a 9mm gun. If they were to redesign it to be 9mm only, they could probably get it slimmer.

A 9mm-only slide would allow the grip to be thinner, but the rotating barrel would still require more slide width than a Browning tilting-barrel mechanism.

Noah
10-27-2022, 12:00 PM
When I said a real WML I meant like a X300

Fair, hence the "kinda"!

JTQ
10-27-2022, 02:43 PM
... grip texture like the 92X lineup, ...
You're probably not going to get that since the 92X is an aluminum gun with screw on grip panels and the PX4 is a polymer frame, but giving the PX4 the APX A1 grip texture is probably doable, and would improve the PX4.

Noah
10-27-2022, 03:16 PM
You're probably not going to get that since the 92X is an aluminum gun with screw on grip panels and the PX4 is a polymer frame, but giving the PX4 the APX A1 grip texture is probably doable, and would improve the PX4.

I just meant a good grip texture. The PX4 is slick as soap throwing back to 2004 still.

No.6
10-27-2022, 10:11 PM

Cougar 8045 mini, PX4 edition? Sure.

claymore504
10-28-2022, 07:34 AM
I have only ever fired a PX4 one time and it was a full size 40SW and that was years ago. I wrote off the PX4 as I was all into striker fired guns back then. Then I got into DA/SA and went all in. Currently the CZ P07 is my go to compact polymer pistol. The PX4 has my interest these days and I would like to fire one. I have handled them and the trigger seems really good out of the box. If Beretta does an updated version, real grip texture would be the main update I see that is needed.

CraigS
10-28-2022, 08:11 AM
The quick, easy, less expensive way to fix the grip is w/ tape.
https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-accessories/handguns/grips/beretta-talon-grip-px4-compact-medium-and-large/
You can also do your own w/ stair no slip tape. I have pieces on mine covering the lower half of the backstrap and all of the frontstrap. And Talon offers their tape in a couple of surfaces.
https://talongungrips.com/other-grips/diy-material/
A bit more expensive is a professional stippling job.
https://langdontactical.com/boresight-solutions-texture-package/

Noah
10-28-2022, 09:48 AM
The quick, easy, less expensive way to fix the grip is w/ tape.
https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-accessories/handguns/grips/beretta-talon-grip-px4-compact-medium-and-large/
You can also do your own w/ stair no slip tape. I have pieces on mine covering the lower half of the backstrap and all of the frontstrap. And Talon offers their tape in a couple of surfaces.
https://talongungrips.com/other-grips/diy-material/
A bit more expensive is a professional stippling job.
https://langdontactical.com/boresight-solutions-texture-package/

Certainly it's a problem that someone can easily fix themselves, but it doesn't do much for the newer shooter exploring options at the gun counter or professional users who may not have the option.

Ben_G
10-28-2022, 10:19 AM
All the initial questions have been answered pretty well so far.

I can't comment on anything under development, but I can say that my primary carry gun is a PX4 Compact carry (one of the old MOD 4 setups back when they were sold through Robar, with some more work done on it since), and my alternate carry gun is the full size PX4 Carry with the full LTT treatment + RDO. Some of my portfolio from my old R&D position in Beretta included designing the carry style PX4 safety levers (at the request of and with insight from Ernest), and the grips and texture for the 92X/ M9A4. All this to say, there are those of us in the company championing this platform, and sharing a lot of the opinions you all have.

CraigS
10-28-2022, 10:21 AM
I agree Noah. It would be much better if Beretta fixed the grip. I was thinking about someone who already has one, or who may have shot a friends, or who read some of the PX4 threads here and looked at one at a store. The tape on mine has transformed the gun and it might have cost $1.50 off the 5ft x 2 inch strip I buy at the hardware store and always have on hand.

Noah
10-28-2022, 10:28 AM
All the initial questions have been answered pretty well so far.

I can't comment on anything under development, but I can say that my primary carry gun is a PX4 Compact carry (one of the old MOD 4 setups back when they were sold through Robar, with some more work done on it since), and my alternate carry gun is the full size PX4 Carry with the full LTT treatment + RDO. Some of my portfolio from my old R&D position in Beretta included designing the carry style PX4 safety levers (at the request of and with insight from Ernest), and the grips and texture for the 92X/ M9A4. All this to say, there are those of us in the company championing this platform, and sharing a lot of the opinions you all have.

Glad to have you on the forum and thanks for putting out one of the only factory mainstream guns that actually has a proper level of grip texture from the factory in the 92X/A4! I carried an early 92X G for a few years from the time it came out and I got the LTT RDO cut on it when that came out. Having a baby and holding her and chasing her all the time led to downsizing to the PX4s.

gato naranja
10-28-2022, 11:10 AM
Also, why did they use a different lockup on the sub compact version? Also interesting is supposedly the PX4 is getting an update.

The Subcompact was too short to use the rotating barrel, and the steel block that cams the barrel down is apparently not as robust as it could be, which is a shame because I have invested in a few of them. Mine will probably outlive me, but they no longer get fired for fun and/or recreation since I have found nothing better for me to carry in that size.

The PX4 needs a grip recontour/retexture before it is too late. That Beretta is perfectly capable of doing this is shown in the difference between a Nano grip frame and an APX Carry grip frame (or the 92X panels when it comes to texture).

Actually, the 92X RDO is the first Beretta that I have not felt the need to do something to after buying it. The PX4 could become just as ready to shoot with the grip changed as mentioned and the following as standard equipment:

1. "D" hammer spring
2. factory RDO cut
3. while redoing the grip, configure the light rail to take the "serious" weaponlights available OTC
4. front and rear sight configuration as on the 92X
5. "Carry" levers

Do that, and people would need to resort to pretty specious excuses to not consider it as a defensive pistol par excellence right out of the box.

The 92X RDO has cooled my ardor for the PX4 quite a bit, but with the above improvements, I'd be hard pressed to not return to the fold.

JTQ
10-28-2022, 03:14 PM
Some of my portfolio from my old R&D position in Beretta included designing the carry style PX4 safety levers (at the request of and with insight from Ernest)...
Thank you. They are very nice.

Polecat
10-28-2022, 03:53 PM
Yeah, and figure out a way to offer the Type “C” trigger with a standard rear sight, so it is interchangeable! Just thin it out a bit 1.5 to 2mm off each side is huge.

TicTacticalTimmy
10-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Would love to see a factory optics cut option for the PX4. However, not if they half ass it a la Berettas "92 RDO" solution. They should just license the design LTT has already done the R/D to develop.

Better grip would also be a HUGE improvement, and if your making a new mold for the grip you may as well improve the rail to work with most weaponlights.

Other nice to sees:
-Factory G, with carry levers. Just drop the safety as the default option.
-more universal sight dovetail. If they were changing the slide machining to accomodate an RDO system, this wouldn't really add to the cost.
-D spring as default, this was a subtle, cheap, and very meaningful improvement that has helped the 92X's.

gato naranja
10-29-2022, 06:02 AM
Would love to see a factory optics cut option for the PX4. However, not if they half ass it a la Berettas "92 RDO" solution. They should just license the design LTT has already done the R/D to develop.

I was disappointed by the factory 92X RDO cut initially, but after I got to examine and use one with an optic and study it closer, I moderated my views. Yes, I would still prefer something more LTT-like... but it wasn't - and IMHO still isn't - the abomination it might have been, given the design issues presented. Maybe I am too easily placated because I still carry the mental baggage of dismal scope mounts on things like SMLE's, pre-Ranch Mini-14's, revolvers, etc.

But I would agree with you about just licensing the PX4 setup from LTT, though besides paying royalties there is always a reluctance to adopt something from outside the organization. For what Ernest has already done for the line, they ought to also erect a statue of him at corporate HQ "for lagniappe."

arcticlightfighter
10-29-2022, 06:39 PM
I have a love hate relationship with Beretta … I don’t like the sharp edges and weight

How ever I shoot them better than their striker fired competition

I have carried Beretta in a uniformed capacity and SWAT my last being an LTT 92

After a medical retirement I now carry what suits me … typically it is a J frame AIWB

I found a great deal on a 92X compact and now today a hardly used PX4 Compact Carry

I have owned MANY 92 series and shoot them well but after all the documented positive durability, recoil impulse and accuracy I am excited to learn the PX4

I’m hoping I can find some good leather AIWB options or a Phlster equivalent but so far I’m impressed

My M9 will always have a place in my safe but this PC4 seems to be a vast improvement

thatguybryan
10-29-2022, 09:31 PM
I have a love hate relationship with Beretta … I don’t like the sharp edges and weight

After a medical retirement I now carry what suits me … typically it is a J frame AIWB

I found a great deal on a 92X compact and now today a hardly used PX4 Compact Carry

I have owned MANY 92 series and shoot them well but after all the documented positive durability, recoil impulse and accuracy I am excited to learn the PX4

I’m hoping I can find some good leather AIWB options or a Phlster equivalent but so far I’m impressed

My M9 will always have a place in my safe but this PC4 seems to be a vast improvement

In my experience, the px4 combines the best features of the 92 series in a modernized package. I absolutely love the 92 series and have owned over 10 different variations, but as far as the gun I’d prefer to carry, px4 compact is much more doable.

Noah
10-30-2022, 04:51 AM

JM Custom Kydex has quick ship Beretta options and is every bit the equal of Phlster as the top 3-4 AIWB holster companies in the industry. Look at a Wing Claw 2.0 or 2.5 and use code ICANREAD for 10% off.

Polecat
04-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Just resurrecting older thread. Any update on potential PX4-a1? I wish they streamline the line into a gun between the full and compact, and one between the compact and sub. Then perhaps could have the rotating barrel in smaller weapon.

Lastly, as I am a .30SC fan, imagine how controllable and how many more rounds!