PDA

View Full Version : S&W 986 2.5" Project

Hideeho
10-24-2022, 04:59 PM
For logical reasons I can’t recall, I drunk bid and won a 986 on GB. The emotional reason for my purchase is my connection to revolvers since starting policing in 1978. A quick review of the new gun in the first picture would conclude with a two-thumbs down don’t buy it. The front sight was hanging off to the left of the barrel; in each of the first six cylinders, the last round (#7) failed to ignite; the cylinder would sporadically lock up during the first 65 rounds, and the trigger was not what I expected from a “Performance Center” gun. The significance of the 65-round count is if I fired a full cylinder, it would have been 70, but I got frustrated, cracked open the cylinder, unloaded, and went home. Picture 1 shows the gun before first test firing.

I decided I would fix the gun with help from YouTube, so I ordered parts from TK Custom—Frame Plug, Spring Kit, Speed Hammer, Rebound Slide (Power Custom), a rear sight from DL Sports, and a set of smooth VZ grips. All of the parts were easily installed except for the plug. I had difficulty installing the frame plug because the hole for the lock wasn’t round and was out of spec. Eli, with TK Custom, guided me on how to correct the condition, so I opened the hole for the plug to fit. Good-by warranty, but with all the new parts, the gun is now my F&W Franken Wesson. Picture 2 shows the makeover.

As for the parts, each is markedly better than S&W’s. The rebound slide has much smoother movement through its range of contact. I first tried the 12lb spring in the rebound slide, but that felt mushy, so I went with the 13lb spring instead. I also tested the original S&W strain screw with the TK’s spring kit. TK’s strain screw provided better results. The hammer is lighter than the original and, without a spur, easier to conceal. The trigger is now the best double action trigger I’ve ever owned. The rear sight is solidly made and offers quick acquisition of the front sight, even with my old eyes. Thank you, Dave (DL Sports) and Eli (TK Custom).

I went to an indoor range to test fire. Loaded 19 moon clips consisting of 56 rounds Remington 115gr JHP, 49 Rounds Federal 147gr HST, 28 rounds Hornady 135 gr +p Critical Duty (133 rounds total). Picture 3 shows the first seven rounds (HST) at seven-yard rapid fire. The gun stayed level the whole time. I couldn’t use a timer, but the time was under three seconds from the ready. The barrel and cylinder measure 4”. Recoil and flash were more pronounced from the 115 gr Remington’s. I decided on using 147 gr HST for carry because I think the heavier bullet will have more dwell time in the 2.5 inches of rifling. Let me know if I’m incorrect. Picture 4 shows the first fifty rounds at seven yards. At least the gun doesn’t have accuracy issues.

In conclusion, this is my new “old man” gun. I’m not there yet, but the 986 will work for me when I am. It is easy to AIWB in the Kramer holster in Picture 5. The rounded geometry hides better than my Staccato C. If you’re considering buying an S&W K/L/N frame, I recommend TK and DL are the must have parts to improve it. I wish S&W would sell stripped revolver frames so shooters could build better guns.

Lon
10-24-2022, 05:59 PM
Having those issues with a PC gun is ridiculous.

But the end result is badass. Well done.

Hideeho
10-24-2022, 07:14 PM
Having those issues with a PC gun is ridiculous.

But the end result is badass. Well done.

Thank you. I might have to curtail drinking for fear of buying a second.

Dave Williams
10-24-2022, 08:29 PM
I almost impulse-bought one of these at the LGS.....it's just a cool gun.

Hideeho
10-24-2022, 08:52 PM
I almost impulse-bought one of these at the LGS.....it's just a cool gun.

It is a really cool gun, but I’ve also read many concerns about 9mm in a revolver. The most common concerns are 1) the 986 barrel is not the right size; 2) bullet pull; and 3) 9mm recoil impulse in a revolver. I can’t speak authoritatively about the 986’s barrel design. I can say, based on my initial testing and carry needs, the gun is accurate. As for bullet pull, I think it could be a concern in lighter weight revolvers such as the LCR or past S&W J frames. But I never had a problem with 147gr in LCRs. Recoil impulse is another issue mitigated by weight. Before you impulse buy, take a look at TK Custom and DL Sports. Add up the extras because you don’t want an out of the box 986.

JCN
10-24-2022, 08:57 PM
It is a really cool gun, but I’ve also read many concerns about 9mm in a revolver. The most common concerns are 1) the 986 barrel is not the right size; 2) bullet pull; and 3) 9mm recoil impulse in a revolver. I can’t speak authoritatively about the 986’s barrel design. I can say, based on my initial testing and carry needs, the gun is accurate. As for bullet pull, I think it could be a concern in lighter weight revolvers such as the LCR or past S&W J frames. But I never had a problem with 147gr in LCRs. Recoil impulse is another issue mitigated by weight. Before you impulse buy, take a look at TK Custom and DL Sports. Add up the extras because you don’t want an out of the box 986.

Eli at TK fixed up my 2.5” Night Guard.

I love 9mm in snub N frames.

Nice work, your gun looks awesome.

Hideeho
10-24-2022, 09:07 PM
Eli at TK fixed up my 2.5” Night Guard.

I love 9mm in snub N frames.

Nice work, your gun looks awesome.

Thank you. When I spoke with Eli the other day, I told him I hoped TK would buy S&W because it was the only chance for quality revolvers from S&W.

Joe Mac
10-24-2022, 09:21 PM
For logical reasons I can’t recall, I drunk bid and won...

My brother!

And damn you, now I want to build that. :D

Hideeho
10-24-2022, 09:50 PM
My brother!

And damn you, now I want to build that. :D

It’s an easy build process Here’s my recommended steps:

1. Tequila
2. Bid low never expecting to win
3. Receive winning bid notification, then ask yourself WTF have I done.
4. Make payment without wife noticing. (Felt like I was money laundering)
5. Receive gun then get pissed off at S&W for poor quality control on a high end project.
6. Decide there’s no turning back
7. Research parts options and YouTube for instructional videos.
8. Do the work.
9. Test and adjust
10.More tequila for victory celebration.

Totem Polar
10-24-2022, 11:45 PM
This thread delivers.

MDFA
10-25-2022, 02:42 AM

1. Tequila
5. Receive gun then get pissed off at S&W for poor quality control on a high end project.
8. Do the work.
9. Test and adjust

Give wife Tequila before she sees gun, credit card statement etc....

Crazy Dane
10-25-2022, 06:38 AM

1. Tequila
8. Do the work.
9. Test and adjust

Other than I started with gin, I have made it to step 5. I am waiting on a replacement yolk screw. When I disassembled for cleaning and lock removal, I found the factory screw was broken.

I have a LCR 9 that has become my constant companion. When I got it, I tested for bullet pull and as long as I use decent ammo, I have not found pull to be a problem. The only way I got any that was significant was to use hot reloads that I did not crimp. The recoil from 147s is less obnoxious than 357 out of my SP101. I could imagine that that big honking N frame is pretty tame.

Hideeho
10-25-2022, 07:43 AM
Other than I started with gin, I have made it to step 5. I am waiting on a replacement yolk screw. When I disassembled for cleaning and lock removal, I found the factory screw was broken.

I have a LCR 9 that has become my constant companion. When I got it, I tested for bullet pull and as long as I use decent ammo, I have not found pull to be a problem. The only way I got any that was significant was to use hot reloads that I did not crimp. The recoil from 147s is less obnoxious than 357 out of my SP101. I could imagine that that big honking N frame is pretty tame.

Please allow me to encourage you to complete all 10 steps--even with gin you'll love what you built.

For the record, the 986 is an L-frame, a cousin to S&W's 686+ seven shot 357. S&W specs it at 31.4 ounces. I think the TK Custom hammer brought it closer to 30 ounces. Here's a pic of my two of my carry guns. I think I'll name them Logic and Emotion. The 986 is about 3 ounces heavier, but carries smaller because of the rounded butt and short barrel.

MDFA
10-25-2022, 03:52 PM
Not to hijack your thread Hideeho.

03RN had a Last Glass Of Whiskey Thread in the Revolver Forum showing the results of Inebriated Gun Broker Shopping. I think we need to start a thread and sticky it showing the results of our efforts. I'm sure that we could all contribute an example or two. Not that I condone that sort of irresponsible behavior...;) I would however be able to contribute an example or two...

Hideeho
10-25-2022, 06:00 PM

03RN had a Last Glass Of Whiskey Thread in the Revolver Forum showing the results of Inebriated Gun Broker Shopping. I think we need to start a thread and sticky it showing the results of our efforts. I'm sure that we could all contribute an example or two. Not that I condone that sort of irresponsible behavior...;) I would however be able to contribute an example or two...

IGBS Syndrome. That’s a great name for my condition. Thanks for giving me a medical term i can use on my wife.

Coal Train
10-25-2022, 06:58 PM

The hall of shame/fame/blame of the enabled. I would be a multiple member. 😂😬🙁

MDFA
10-26-2022, 06:00 AM
IGBS Syndrome. That’s a great name for my condition. Thanks for giving me a medical term i can use on my wife.

I started a IGBS Thread in the Gallery Forum. Now we can all step up and confront our condition head on... lol

Hideeho
10-28-2022, 05:46 PM
After the first session, where the front sight shifted to left, I peened the sight to get a better fit. Went to the range today, 35 rounds in and the sight was almost off the left side. I'm trying Loctite 638 to secure sight. Will let you know results. Be forewarned, a new piece of info I learned, there are not many front sight replacement choices for the 986 2.5". S&W makes revolvers with standardized pinned front sights or DX interchangeable sights. The 986 2.5 is neither, so custom fitment will be my next move if Loctite 638 doesn't fix problem.

On another note, I threw out the POS plastic case that came with gun. S&W, if your listening, your blue cardboard boxes are nicer than your "Performance Center" cases. The gray foamed line plastic case is emblematic of all that's wrong with your company. The latches are cheap and the fitment is loose. How much cheaper can you get putting cheap latches on a cheap box? And if you can't get a simple plastic box right, how do you expect to properly manufacture a mechanical piece like a revolver?

I still say buy the gun, but be prepared to put another $450-$500 into making better. It will be a sweet shooter, not because of S&W, because of the $$$ and effort you put in to make it better.

feudist
10-28-2022, 10:43 PM
From his "M&P 340 conditioning" thread.

Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
Where I've arrived is an understanding that any of them is basically an almost-ready-to-shoot gun kit. It's assembled at the factory because that's the easiest way to ensure all the parts are included in the box and keep them organized. It also helps with pre-transfer inspection. But the gun is not ready to go into service until someone qualified has gone through it and inspected every piece, corrected any defects, eliminated characteristics that will lead to excess wear, and done some basic deburring as needed so it looks better and feels better in the hand.

Sigh.

Hambo
10-29-2022, 05:21 AM
I wish S&W would sell stripped revolver frames so shooters could build better guns.

Can S&W up their game enough to get to an 80% frame? If they can, we need TK Custom to work a deal like Langdon has with Beretta.

Hideeho
10-29-2022, 02:26 PM
Can S&W up their game enough to get to an 80% frame? If they can, we need TK Custom to work a deal like Langdon has with Beretta.

We just need the serialized frame with barrel from S&W. Since their parts and fitment are subpar, we can build a better gun with the aide of aftermarket parts and YouTube. I'm not mechanically inclined, yet I built a better gun installing aftermarket parts to an S&W frame and barrel. S&W--reach out to PF members, we can help you improve your revolver products and sales.

Hideeho
10-29-2022, 02:32 PM
Loctitie 638 fixed the front sight shifting problem. For now, the gun is good to go. But who knows what f'ups S&W has in store for us down the road.

Hideeho
09-04-2023, 03:43 PM
My 986 journey continues. I experimented with several types of grips/stocks, and to my surprise found the best grips for me (YMMV) in a new design from D&L Sports. I first tried a round butt VZ grip without finger grooves. I didn't like them because the muzzle pointed upward on draws. I then tried a set of round butt Nille Griffe with finger grooves (Picture 1 Below). They pointed better, but I don't like finger grooves because I want solid purchase wherever I grab the grip on the way out of the holster. I can also recenter quicker without finger grooves or stippling by simply squeezing equal pressure on both sides of the grips. Next up was a set of VZ Grips smooth round butt to square butt conversion without finger grooves. They pointed straight on the draw, but squirmed in my hand during rapid fire. I was ready to settle on them until I tried the grips from D&L Sports (Pictures 2-4). In 45 years of revolver shooting--best grips ever. They point dead on at the draw. My 5X5 drill times are one-second quicker than they were with the Nille Griffe grips. The beavertail on the D&L grips helps center the gun on the draw. The base provides all the room your pinky needs to stabilize the gun during firing. The grips place weight over the grip frame helping to absorb recoil and the butt can provide a good club :).

JCN
09-22-2023, 05:36 PM
I’m the new owner of this gun and confirmed it’s done up well. Smooth trigger on par with my competition 929s.

DA pull is right around 6 pounds.

I am looking forward to using this one in good health.

JCN
09-25-2023, 02:18 PM
I wanted to test the 986 with copper jacketed 9mm (147gr Lawman) instead of the Syntech in case it made a difference.

While it doesn't have the capacity of a double stack, it still performs fine as a weapons system.

I shot at two different paces / vision with consistent results scaled for pace / vision.

As I suspected, any reported concerns about accuracy of the 9mm Smith don't really come into play at self defense distances and cadences.

https://youtu.be/2rQ0pjnckYA?si=_QgoTYe53mroOIYF

https://youtu.be/FUNhI52hgr8?si=5RBW2q1Ik3tMKxg9

I fabbed a target that would help me with the irons on this gun for sighting in.