PDA

View Full Version : LASIK as a self defense aid

JCN
10-23-2022, 05:28 PM
I did a combatives class this weekend and one thing that really struck me was how fucked I would be if I was grappling and lost glasses.

I seriously can’t see shit.

I don’t mind glasses and most times I’m glad for the default eye protection…

But it was really eye opening (pun intended) of what a massive disadvantage I would be in a fight.

Has that entered into anyone else’s mental calculus?

Willard
10-23-2022, 05:30 PM
I did a combatives class this weekend and one thing that really struck me was how fucked I would be if I was grappling and lost glasses.

But it was really eye opening (pun intended) of what a massive disadvantage I would be in a fight.

Reason military provided PRK under warfighter refractive surgery.

Magsz
10-23-2022, 05:34 PM

Just do it. It's life changing. There's really no reason not to other than cost and the fact that it doesn't last forever.

Cory
10-23-2022, 05:48 PM
I recently made the move to contacts because of similar issues. Frames are a hinderance to grappling, and poor vision is a hinderance to shooting.

If I knew who to trust with my odd oblique astigmatism and the cost wasn't a factor I'd have already gotten some form of laser correction.

BehindBlueI's
10-23-2022, 06:47 PM

Yes. I had it done in '03 prior to going to work for DynCorp. Part of the job was the ability to wear the military gas mask and if you have glasses they have to make you these little prescription inserts. They suck, and I had no idea how long it would take to get them. Plus you're supposed to stow your regular glasses in your gas mask case when you switch out and I just knew I'd lose them in the sand.

I wanted it done earlier, as I knew that if I got woken up to someone in my shack in the woods I was useless until I had my glasses. I just couldn't afford it. Going contracting and making those contracting bucks let me feel good about the 12 month no cost financing then paying it off about my second month there.

Best money I ever spent.

LOKNLOD
10-23-2022, 07:22 PM
It was always a worry for me. I was too severe for Lasik and ended up getting ICLs (implantable lenses).

Willard
10-23-2022, 07:42 PM
Understand if you get PRK the steroids can contribute to cataracts. I had PRK both eyes and then enhancements a few years later.

I am now having cataract surgery at almost 52. PRK was in 04-05 & then in 11.

Flamingo
10-23-2022, 08:14 PM

What combatives class did you do?

Magsz
10-23-2022, 08:18 PM
Understand if you get PRK the steroids can contribute to cataracts. I had PRK both eyes and then enhancements a few years later.

Interesting. I had inquired about long term side effects when I had my procedure done and I was never advised of that. Is that new research that is coming out?

DDTSGM
10-23-2022, 09:01 PM

A family disturbance on a cold February night brought that starkly into focus. My glasses fogged so badly I had to ditch them in a wrestling match. This would have been 1977 and soft contacts ran about $300, IIRC. I had some as quickly as I could get an appointment and get the delivered.

At the time I was close to 20.400 and 20/800 uncorrected. Previous to that I had gone out and shot without my glasses, satisfying myself that if I knew you were a lethal threat, I could put rounds on you at 25 yards. The problem that I had was that I would likely not be able to identify a lethal threat that originated at distance - such as a person getting out of a vehicle on a high risk stop with something in their hand.

The fogging up thing just sped my decision, I was already heading that way.

Grappling-wise, losing my glasses wouldn't have much affected the outcome so long as it remained grappling.

I had cataract surgery due to prescribed steroids, at a fairly young age, barely into my 40's. I had delayed getting LASIK because of folks I knew who'd had the procedure complaining about starbursts while driving at night. I've had no such problem with the lenses they put in during my cataract surgery. I wonder why they don't just go that route, other than the fact you still have to deal with presbyopia.

S Jenks
10-23-2022, 09:09 PM
It was always a worry for me. I was too severe for Lasik and ended up getting ICLs (implantable lenses).

Same here, a little over 10 years ago. Money extremely well spent.

BehindBlueI's
10-23-2022, 09:16 PM
I had delayed getting LASIK because of folks I knew who'd had the procedure complaining about starbursts while driving at night.

When I had mine done, starbursts were more an issue with RK vs Lasik. Lasik had a smaller laser and went it at an angle so it could resurface more of the retina then light could hit when the pupil was fully dilated, greatly reducing or eliminating any starbursts. There was a cheaper version of Lasik that still used a bigger laser "straight in" but I ponied up for the angled version.

It took something like 30 seconds in one eye and 33 seconds in the other. I went from 20/800-ish to 20/15 and 20/10. Now I'm still about 20/25 and 20/20 with some natural degradation due to age.

LOKNLOD
10-23-2022, 09:38 PM

What’s your contact or glasses prescription?

WobblyPossum
10-23-2022, 09:48 PM
I had LASEK (a variant of PRK) done shortly after I turned 21 (33 now). Prior to that I had vision as poor as some of the others posting here, around 20/800. Things were BAD without my glasses. I was barely functional without them. I couldn’t even make out the big E at the top of the eye chart. Getting the surgery was one of the best decisions of my life. I do get star bursts from lights such as vehicle headlights or street lights at night but that’s a small price to pay to not have to deal with glasses or contacts.

rob_s
10-24-2022, 04:43 AM
I was very close to doing it a couple of years ago. What I arrived at was that it wasn’t going to match the clarity I get with glasses, and I wasn’t willing to compromise.

I’m naturally nearsighted, with an astigmatism in one eye, but have lost some up-close clarity as I’ve aged (I’m nearly 48). The doctors had all sorts of hair brained schemes like fix one eye for far and the other for near.

Nah.

That plus the potential for a bad outcome related to issues with driving at night, and I’ve not pursued it.

Ed4032
10-24-2022, 04:56 AM
I had cataract surgery last year and WOW what a difference it made. Never realized how bad my vision was especially at night.

BWT
10-24-2022, 07:26 AM
100% I’ve thought about it pretty extensively.

I haven’t made the plunge - one has been massive home repairs and two is I’m the sole income earner for the home and I’m probably unduly risk averse with my eyesight.

I once stated I used a weapon mounted light to orient a gun and shoot it. I found out to about 5-7 yards with my X300U right around where the bottom of the light goes is where my Glock 34 prints. For this reason.

I figure if I get punched in the face with glasses and it knocks my glasses off. If I can shine a light on someone I can shoot them with the bottom part of the light atleast COM semi-accurate.

I’m not recommending it, but I was curious where in the light the gun would print.

Hey, if it was good enough for SAS operators to take down the Iranian embassy mounted on a sub machine gun used in Full Auto.

ETA: I just did some dry fire with my competition Glock and the RDS sight is fairly visible for 1/3 scale torsos at 7-8 feet. One more reason to use a red dot. I was only vaguely able to see the iron sights.

Try it out some time today.

ETA2: Doing Jiu Jitsu - I had to take my glasses off. I’d keep my glasses on for demonstration, take them off and put them on the sides of the mat without. I have about 20/200 vision. I do think in hindsight it caused me a disadvantage as I could see lots of things but not specific details.

I have read about the flaps that they have to cut on your eyes being compromised and it possible for those to be weakened. There are more prestigious sources of information but this Reddit thread relays my concerns.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/3fbn72/any_grapplers_with_lasik_out_there/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

YMMV.

JHC
10-24-2022, 07:40 AM

I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years ago, after a lifetime of 20/450 nearsightedness. I took distance focus for both eyes and ended up 20/10 in each. Kidded with the doc I wished I'd gotten them 20 years ago!

JCN yeah it's a huge issue. Some years ago when my instructor padded up one of his top student and sicc'ed him on me for me to go full contact. I knew this would smash my glasses so I went without them. He was a vastly superior striker (he was in Golden Gloves at that time and a fair bit bigger than me). His black padded outfit and black mits were just murdering me so I went to shooting in to take his neck and choke from all different angles over and over. Figured closing with him was my only "blind" chance. Went OK I guess, was repeatedly able to take him off his feet and apply whatever angle choke I could get.

TheNewbie
10-24-2022, 08:39 AM
I has LASIK about 10 years ago. Best money I have ever spent.

Without glasses I was all but blind. Walking from my bedroom to the kitchen could only have been done safely by crawling. No way I could drive even in an emergency.

10 years later I still have some side effects such as starburst and halos at night, and I probably need a touch up as I’m likely not 20/20 at the moment.

Even with the side effects it’s totally worth it. With glasses you are dependent on something that can be lost, fall off or broken. I would carry an extra pair at work in my shirt pocket or in vehicle just in case.

I would prefer the night time effects x1000+ over having to depend on glasses or contacts. Not to mention the fogging issues and other issues.

mmc45414
10-24-2022, 09:39 AM
I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years ago, after a lifetime of 20/450 nearsightedness. I took distance focus for both eyes and ended up 20/10 in each. Kidded with the doc I wished I'd gotten them 20 years ago!

Yeah, I tell friends that if you develop cataracts don't be sad, be happy your vision correction is a covered procedure.
My right eye degraded ~3yrs sooner than my left, and I asked for distance correction, but not all the way out so I could retain the ability to see pistol sights. Probably got a little more correction than they were shooting for (I crack myself up...), and I am glad. My vision is good enough that I can do recreational motorsports (snowmobile, boat, off road motorcycle/ATV) without correction if I want to (especially important with the snowmobile). I can also shoot well enough without corrective lenses, but need them for hunting and matches with difficult target ID.

Since my eyes were not bad enough at the same time that left me with default monovision (nearsighted in my left eye) for those 2-3 years. I had tried it with contacts but quit after trying to drive after dark after only a few hours, but was glad I was forced into it for a few years. When my left eye degraded I went with an implant that restored my vision but kept my left eye nearsighted. But, and this is major, you will want glasses for driving even if you are not legally required. I keep glasses at my desk and I keep glasses in my vehicle (when I would be wearing sunglasses anyway 75% of the time), otherwise I do not need to wear glasses. Just back from a week working a trade show in Las Vegas, I wore my sunglasses on the way to and from the exhibits, and that was all. Not sure if you would want to do both eyes on the same day anyway, so no matter what you could experiment with this, but probably should do your strong side dominant eye first (I was also cross-dominant, and this has helped) and until you get proper glasses take the lens out of the strong side.

And JCN, you might want to consider doing the lens implants, even if it is out of pocket (you seem to have the means). Not sure there would be much downside other than financial and there is lots of upside (your vision will be pretty consistent the rest of your life).

Glenn E. Meyer
10-24-2022, 09:39 AM
The best correction strategy is left to you and your ophthalmologist. I would caution against gimmick, super duper lenses that supposedly correct for astigmatism, near and far in the same eye or near and far in different lenses for each eye.

So here's my nuance, in TX and in general one has to shield from UV damage to the retina leading to degenerative and damage to same. Thus, wearing UV eye protection is a good idea for everyone, esp. as you get older. In TX like environments, snow reflective environments, shades rule. Thus the idea of worrying about entangled fights is a moot point for the average person. I can see the issue for those in high probability of entangled fights like the law, military, etc.

I don't recall that the incident of such was high in the civilian SD surveys, such as Tom Givens. I had cataracts done and it was a blessing. Correctly for my astigmatism - glasses, presbyopia, progressive lenses. Always wear shades out side for macular degeneration and light damage. I worked for one of the world's leading light damage experts way back and he drummed in that lesson.

So ditch your glasses in a sunny environment because you might have to wrassle. For the law or combat perhaps. Also I've had enough gun crap come back at my face not to want to wear glasses all the time.

Duelist
10-24-2022, 09:43 AM
Nearsighted, 20/175 in dominant eye, 20/225 in non-dominant eye, astigmatism in both.

I already get nighttime starbursts and double images that are worse at night.

The best correction I have ever had were RGP contacts. No astigmatism effect, perfect vision in both eyes. The first time I tried soft contacts, I returned them - they didn’t correct my astigmatism at all. After I moved to AZ, dust and dry air made RGP contacts unwearable, but tech for softs had advanced and I got reasonable but never perfect correction for my scrip and astigmatism. A series of eye infections several years ago made me give them up in favor of 100% glasses wear. Currently using prescription shooting glasses, +1 no line bifocals in my regular glasses.

I thought about lasik years ago. Couldn’t get over the cost/risk/benefit matrix and never did it. Probably won’t. Unless vision gets too frustrating for some reason. My 2 years older sister got it done maybe 10-15 years ago and loved it, but her vision was way worse than mine. Presbyopia has started for her, too, so she’s wearing glasses again.

Have an optometrist appointment this week. He’ll probably try to talk me into a distance/near correction again. I’ll tell him no again. He’s going to have to do something more for my astigmatism this time - haven’t been satisfied with what I’ve got right now.

mmc45414
10-24-2022, 09:45 AM
Screwed up and quoted myself, what I meant to say:
ETA: If you are nearsighted and want monovision you might only need to have one eye done.

JHC
10-24-2022, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I tell friends that if you develop cataracts don't be sad, be happy your vision correction is a covered procedure.
My right eye degraded ~3yrs sooner than my left, and I asked for distance correction, but not all the way out so I could retain the ability to see pistol sights. Probably got a little more correction than they were shooting for (I crack myself up...), and I am glad. My vision is good enough that I can do recreational motorsports (snowmobile, boat, off road motorcycle/ATV) without correction if I want to (especially important with the snowmobile). I can also shoot well enough without corrective lenses, but need them for hunting and matches with difficult target ID.

Since my eyes were not bad enough at the same time that left me with default monovision (nearsighted in my left eye) for those 2-3 years. I had tried it with contacts but quit after trying to drive after dark after only a few hours, but was glad I was forced into it for a few years. When my left eye degraded I went with an implant that restored my vision but kept my left eye nearsighted. But, and this is major, you will want glasses for driving even if you are not legally required. I keep glasses at my desk and I keep glasses in my vehicle (when I would be wearing sunglasses anyway 75% of the time), otherwise I do not need to wear glasses. Just back from a week working a trade show in Las Vegas, I wore my sunglasses on the way to and from the exhibits, and that was all. Not sure if you would want to do both eyes on the same day anyway, so no matter what you could experiment with this, but probably should do your strong side dominant eye first (I was also cross-dominant, and this has helped) and until you get proper glasses take the lens out of the strong side.

And JCN, you might want to consider doing the lens implants, even if it is out of pocket (you seem to have the means). Not sure there would be much downside other than financial and there is lots of upside (your vision will be pretty consistent the rest of your life).

My surgeon sort of recommended I take an intermediate lens for my right eye (dominant) after my left eye turned out so strong. I didn't take that advice as I wanted all the distance clarity there was to be had and I've had no regrets. My pistol front sights are not crisp and I've shifted to working more on target focused shooting. Not great for slowfire groups but pretty happy with hitting on the timer under time pressure.

For example a week ago Sunday shooting the 20 yard stage of the BPD Qual as my "cold" walk up and test from AIWB under a shirt.
The sight was fuzz but I'll take it.

And of course I need readers for work, reading a menu and finer work close of course. Which having spent a lifetime with glasses already doesn't bother me.

mmc45414
10-24-2022, 10:08 AM
My pistol front sights are not crisp and I've shifted to working more on target focused shooting. Not great for slowfire groups but pretty happy with hitting on the timer under time pressure.

For example a week ago Sunday shooting the 20 yard stage of the BPD Qual as my "cold" walk up and test from AIWB under a shirt.
The sight was orange fuzz but I'll take it.
Yeah, full size targets 20yds and in are do-able, and I have gone to dissimilar color FO sights, and it has been working pretty well.
However doing our local three gun matches there are more and more rather small KD targets, so I am starting the transition to another type of corrective lens... :cool:

And of course I need readers for work, reading a menu and finer work close of course. Which having spent a lifetime with glasses already doesn't bother me.
I gave up on contacts when I started wearing reading glasses on top of contact lenses when sitting at my desk. Now it is pretty handy not to need to put on glasses every time I read a text message. However, I do have bifocals in some of my glasses, need them to read the map and GPS on the motorcycle, for one thing!

Chuck Whitlock
10-24-2022, 01:29 PM
I've thought about it off and on, but like others the cost/benefit/risk matrix does not add up so far. I've worn contacts since my early teens...uncorrected vision has been around 20/70 or so. A short stint with glasses left me unsatisfied with the fogging issues, along with losing peripheral vision. I also experience some type of vertigo with seeing the ground beneath the lenses.

A year or two ago, I had to start wearing readers along with the contacts. Dragging them out on and off all day sucks. This year, my eye doc had me try bifocal contacts, and they are working well. I'm giving up a small amount of clarity at infinity distance, but near and medium distance are both great.

Robinson
10-24-2022, 01:58 PM
I had LASIK to correct astigmatism a long time ago and it was a good decision, especially with the decades I spent in martial arts. The procedure has surely improved since then.

Now at age 60 my sight is worsening a bit again, but it's probably age related and unavoidable. I am planning to get a checkup soon though.

Jeff22
10-24-2022, 05:55 PM
I was always very near sighted. 20/800 Un-corrected before I developed cataracts.

I had cataract surgery in 2010. It was life changing in some ways. Now I’m 20/40 un-corrected.

I’m a right handed shooter with a left master eye. Right eye is set up for close range and left eye for distance. (I shoot long guns right handed)

DDTSGM
10-24-2022, 08:14 PM
I went from 20/800-ish to 20/15 and 20/10. Now I'm still about 20/25 and 20/20 with some natural degradation due to age.

Isn't that great?

BehindBlueI's
10-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Isn't that great?

The improvement or the degradation due to aging...because my answer depends on which you're referencing. :D

Willard
10-24-2022, 08:46 PM
Interesting. I had inquired about long term side effects when I had my procedure done and I was never advised of that. Is that new research that is coming out?

Don't know if this was known previously or only now becoming well advertised. It's what my doctor told me.

Willard
10-24-2022, 08:54 PM
I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple years ago, after a lifetime of 20/450 nearsightedness. I took distance focus for both eyes and ended up 20/10 in each. Kidded with the doc I wished I'd gotten them 20 years ago

Thanks for that. I am not sure why I'm freaked out about cataract surgery, but I am. I've had a bunch of different surgeries and never thought twice. Twice same knee, three shoulder surgeries, hamstring reattached, wisdom teeth, PRK X 2, others, but this one has me very amped. I guess it is because I will see them remove the lens and guy said it would take 20 minutes. Anyway, I appreciate the positive words.

If anyone else has had and can provide inputs, please do. I don't know why this has me in the state I am, but t does even though it is most common surgery in America.

mmc45414
10-24-2022, 09:59 PM
I am not sure why I'm freaked out about cataract surgery, but I am.

this one has me very amped. I guess it is because I will see them remove the lens and guy said it would take 20 minutes. Anyway, I appreciate the positive words.

If anyone else has had and can provide inputs, please do. I don't know why this has me in the state I am, but t does even though it is most common surgery in America.

You are probably freaked because it is freaky! They slit the side of your eye and erode out your lens. The first time I had no idea it was as invasive as it was.

But... you will not see it being done. Your eye will be under a local anesthetic and you will only see shadows. They will place you under a general long enough to give you a local behind your eye. Knowing what is being done is the whole problem. Being a little shitfaced would probably be good but is probably not the recommended approach, you gotta just psych yourself into being chill.

Am I helping? I am not sure I am helping...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

willie
10-25-2022, 05:30 AM
Yes. I had it done in '03 prior to going to work for DynCorp. Part of the job was the ability to wear the military gas mask and if you have glasses they have to make you these little prescription inserts. They suck, and I had no idea how long it would take to get them. Plus you're supposed to stow your regular glasses in your gas mask case when you switch out and I just knew I'd lose them in the sand.

I wanted it done earlier, as I knew that if I got woken up to someone in my shack in the woods I was useless until I had my glasses. I just couldn't afford it. Going contracting and making those contracting bucks let me feel good about the 12 month no cost financing then paying it off about my second month there.

Best money I ever spent.

Please comment on your type of duty with Dyncorp. Having worked there is impressive indeed.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-25-2022, 09:29 AM
Modern cataract surgery is so much better than in the older days. Lens replacement is awesome as compared to the solutions in previous times. It is not a big deal. You don't have to go to a hospital and have your head immobilized between sandbags and wear very thick glasses that gave limited fields of vision, terrible fusion problems for awhile, etc.

Took Intro to Ophthalmology in school. History was quite interesting.

BehindBlueI's
10-25-2022, 11:05 AM
Please comment on your type of duty with Dyncorp. Having worked there is impressive indeed.

Meh. During GWOT it wasn't that tough to get hired on to contract with them. I did "force protection", aka security guard. Watch towers, gun positions, vehicle search lanes, internal checkpoints sort of stuff. I did the guard thing for about 10-11 months, then got my MVACIS operator training and certifications and spent the remainder of my first year and all of my second in the search lane as an MVACIS truck operator. I was assigned to Camp As-sayliyyah or PSP Falcon 78 the entire time, '03-'05.

Smoke
10-25-2022, 04:36 PM
Gents, I am literally recovering from surgery for a detached retina (Oct 17) and am catching up on threads. This was discovered 2 weeks ago during an optometry appointment for new glasses where one of my eyes would see a thin black mesh curtain, red stop lights became Pepto Bismol pink and vertical lines became curves.

I had no real pain (maybe an occasional ache) and the net suggests that family history of nearsightedness and cataracts had more of an influence than my history of martial arts training. Rather than go through more details of my procedure (unless you really want to), I had 2 appointments pre surgery (exams and a Covid test), surgery, and 3 more follow ups at differing intervals. I have a gas bubble injected in my eye, that is sensitive to altitude and pressure= no plane rides to the mountains and extensive exercise (weights or aerobics). I can only sleep belly down and on my non-operated side with an Eye Shield, any violation= I get pain and any real deviation could cause blindness. I also get to use 3 different eyedrops 2-4 daily for the next few weeks

In regards to the original poster, compromised vision was/is something I've dealt with in every system I trained. Detached retina was a factor for me to step away from striking sparring and more grappling (docs really pushed this when I was younger)

Willard, I agree with MMC45411 and I was anxious for awhile. I had to consciously remember it was a short procedure (45 min) and 'this procedure is meant to HELP ME'. My surgeon even told me this was freaky and the anesthesiologist team separately told me everyone had pre surgery anxiety.

Mitch
10-25-2022, 09:18 PM
I got LASIK earlier this year. Defensive strategy didn’t really play into it, I was just sick of contacts.

I wish I would have done it years ago. It has been great. Not having to deal with glasses or contacts on hunting trips has been awesome. I wore contacts so it didn’t really change much in BJJ for me.

My advice would be to do it, and get it done on a Friday afternoon. I did it Friday morning and the afternoon was the worst part of the recovery. Not horrible at all, but I would have rather got it done at the end of the day and slept through that part.

DDTSGM
10-25-2022, 11:31 PM
Thanks for that. I am not sure why I'm freaked out about cataract surgery, but I am. I've had a bunch of different surgeries and never thought twice. Twice same knee, three shoulder surgeries, hamstring reattached, wisdom teeth, PRK X 2, others, but this one has me very amped. I guess it is because I will see them remove the lens and guy said it would take 20 minutes. Anyway, I appreciate the positive words.

I was nervous on my first eye, but it was an easy procedure. Best thing was I walked out and could read street signs.

For the other eye - a week or two later - I was an old pro, easy-peasey.

It is not unusual to get protein deposits on the back of the lens. I was told this generally only occurs once per eye. Sure enough a couple of years after my surgery, my left eye started to get blurry. They use a laser to burn/blow the protein off the back of the lens. This freaked me out more than the surgery and I made the doctor explain how it worked and why it wouldn't hurt my retina. I already knew he didn't have a sense of humor from my first surgery, so I was very serious when questioning him. He didn't much like doing it but he more thoroughly explained the procedure and the safeguards. Everything went fine.

Don't stress, it will be worth it.

Willard
10-26-2022, 06:34 PM
I was nervous on my first eye, but it was an easy procedure. Best thing was I walked out and could read street signs.

For the other eye - a week or two later - I was an old pro, easy-peasey.

It is not unusual to get protein deposits on the back of the lens. I was told this generally only occurs once per eye. Sure enough a couple of years after my surgery, my left eye started to get blurry. They use a laser to burn/blow the protein off the back of the lens. This freaked me out more than the surgery and I made the doctor explain how it worked and why it wouldn't hurt my retina. I already knew he didn't have a sense of humor from my first surgery, so I was very serious when questioning him. He didn't much like doing it but he more thoroughly explained the procedure and the safeguards. Everything went fine.

Don't stress, it will be worth it.

Thank you sir. Much appreciated!

Rick R
10-27-2022, 08:16 AM
I had LASIK done back about 2001-2ish. Other than a bit of dry eye for a year or so I haven’t had any issues. Glasses, contacts and 20/400 vision were a part of my life that I now barely remember. I came away with solid 20/15 vision.

It greatly helped me as a cop for the remainder of my career as flying elbows, OC spray and dust all lost part of their foul sting. I didn’t experience any halo effects at night like some people have and my near vision stayed good until very recently.

If your doctor says you make a good candidate it is life changing.

LowAndLeft
11-10-2022, 03:48 AM
I had LASIK done back about 2001-2ish. Other than a bit of dry eye for a year or so I haven’t had any issues. Glasses, contacts and 20/400 vision were a part of my life that I now barely remember. I came away with solid 20/15 vision.

It greatly helped me as a cop for the remainder of my career as flying elbows, OC spray and dust all lost part of their foul sting. I didn’t experience any halo effects at night like some people have and my near vision stayed good until very recently.

If your doctor says you make a good candidate it is life changing. Your experience is exactly like mine, except that I am not LE. I had it done for my active lifestyle: surfing, skiing, cycling. I couldn't wear contacts anymore as I'd get a reaction with them. Can't remember the name of it but it left painful bumps under my eyelids. And now that I shoot with a red dot (new shooter), it's even more meaningful.