PDA

View Full Version : Any of our members a Veterinarian or Vet Tech?

blues
10-22-2022, 09:32 AM
I noticed a small patch on the inside of my dogs ear flap, (not in the ear canal), which looks like it could either be parasitic, tiny bubble blisters, or a reaction to something which may have contacted her ear and irritated it. Ear mites? Parasite eggs? I'm just not sure.

Also wonder if it could be a melanoma from her laying in the sun on the deck.

We took a couple of images this morning to be able to send to the vet when they open on Monday, but I was curious if anyone might have experience.

I've not noticed this on my dogs in the past.

I cut her nails and clean her ears every ten days, so this is recent, as I'd have noticed it the last time I did them.

Thanks in advance.

blues
10-22-2022, 09:59 AM
Thanks to wobbly possum for reaching out to me with info from his girlfriend who worked as a vet tech. Looks like it may need a biopsy.

At least now I have something to work with.

CWM11B
10-23-2022, 09:26 AM
Hope its a big nothing brother. I had to say goodbye to my sidekick five months ago. One of the worst days ever. I miss that lug something terrible.

JCN
10-23-2022, 09:33 AM
blues

Speaking from a human standpoint:

Generally if infection it’ll be quite red and irritated and the dog won’t like you touching it.

I can’t tell from the pictures about the surface smoothness and whether you can feel any hint of scab on it.

Generally melanoma won’t be as sharply circumscribed and generally won’t be raised (tends to burrow rather than heap) and usually the borders are more irregular.

While biopsy might still be indicated, I can’t tell by the pictures if something like a blood blister or clogged sebaceous cyst is causing it (seems likely from the location and animal products can be darker, I know our cats are). If it’s squishy, that’s reassuring.

I know Blues has me on ignore, but maybe he’ll click on this one.

blues
10-23-2022, 09:36 AM
Hope its a big nothing brother. I had to say goodbye to my sidekick five months ago. One of the worst days ever. I miss that lug something terrible.

Yeah, me too, W. I noticed it on the 9th anniversary of our having adopted her. Ironic. Hopefully we'll know something soon.

(I still miss Smoky, my avatar dog, nine plus years later. It's never easy.)

MistWolf
10-24-2022, 10:01 AM
I’m no vet or vet assistant, so with all love, I’ll give the same advice to you that I give to folks asking similar questions on the cat forum- Take her to the vet soonest.

blues
10-24-2022, 10:08 AM
I spoke with the vet's office early this morning and sent them the series of images. I should hear back when one of the vets has an opportunity to examine them sometime later.

blues
10-24-2022, 04:50 PM
Vet called. Said he's not concerned at this juncture. That even if melanoma, generally benign in that area of the body as opposed to mouth, paw and some other spots on the body.

Said to keep an eye on it and if it changes in character, size, color, is no longer flat to the skin etc, then we can look into it further.

So, that's a big relief at the moment.

I guess I'll kick her later to let her know that the easy time is over. ;)

WobblyPossum
10-24-2022, 05:09 PM
Glad to hear there isn’t anything to worry about!

blues
10-24-2022, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear there isn’t anything to worry about!

For now, at least. Big thanks to you and your lady. Means quite a bit to me.