PDA

View Full Version : U.S. CBP instructor dies after accidental shooting at Miami Range

HCM
10-19-2022, 04:14 PM
CBP instructor dies after accidental shooting at west Miami-Dade gun range

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2022/10/19/instructor-accidentally-shot-at-west-miami-dade-shooting-range/

Tokarev
10-19-2022, 04:19 PM
Apparently conducting some kind of room clearing demo. Sounds like possibly one instructor shot another.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

blues
10-19-2022, 04:27 PM
I spent a lot of time at that range over the years. Ran some ops through it as well. That's very sad to read.

HCM
10-19-2022, 05:35 PM
Apparently conducting some kind of room clearing demo. Sounds like possibly one instructor shot another.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My understanding is all participants were instructors. Likely doing dry runs / prep for training they would conduct this quarter.,

Unfortunately when you have groups that are cool / special complacency is a problem and live weapons get introduced to supposedly “sterile” training environments. It’s sad because it’s preventable but continues to happen.

Lon
10-20-2022, 06:03 AM
……Unfortunately when you have groups that are cool / special complacency is a problem and live weapons get introduced to supposedly “sterile” training environments. It’s sad because it’s preventable but continues to happen.

Yep. Uneventful familiarity breeds contempt.

blues
10-20-2022, 08:25 AM
Yep. Uneventful familiarity breeds contempt.

And danger...

LittleLebowski
10-20-2022, 09:17 AM
This really needs to stop happening. Entirely preventable :(

Erick Gelhaus
10-20-2022, 10:34 AM
The safety rules & protocols have to apply to all. Especially, the cool guys and instructors.

titsonritz
10-20-2022, 12:17 PM
Firearms + Complacency = Bad Stuff. No one is above it, act accordingly.

AMC
10-20-2022, 02:23 PM
The safety rules & protocols have to apply to all. Especially, the cool guys and instructors.

That's just it....in practice they don't. We've both seen it. Especially with cool guys. With instructors, it often depends on who their student body is. Are they only "Cool Guy" instructors? Very likely to see this problem. If the instructors are exposed to Academy recruits, In Service cops, and retirees....they're likely gonna have a bit more of a focus on safety, but complacency can still set in. But the complete, unsafe retardery that some of the "Cool Guys" would do in the name of 'Training '? And God forbid you call them out. 'Cause What do you know? You don't have Crossed Rifles on your shirt, or a pretty set of black BDUS. You don't even 'operate' Bro.

Trooper224
10-20-2022, 02:42 PM
I had a light bulb moment back in '87-'88 when I watched a SEAL blow two of his toes off with a shotgun. I was very young in my shooting journey and I figured if a high-speed frogman could do that, then I'd better watch out.

When I was on SWAT in the early days there was the attitude of, "This might be seen as unsafe, but we're all switched on and we trust each other." This was usually in regard to things like muzzle safety in the stack. It took a bit of maturity as a team to do away with that.

Years later, I'm running through a rifle drill as a Trooper. I'm moving through the problem, engaging and disengaging the safety, as needed, when the range master tells me, "You're a shooter, you don't have to worry about the safety. " Whaaaaaat?

Familiarity breeds contempt.

John Hearne
10-20-2022, 04:20 PM
This is a sobering search:
https://www.odmp.org/search?name=&agency=&state=&cause=Gunfire+%28Inadvertent%29&from=1776&to=2022&filter=nok9

BehindBlueI's
10-20-2022, 08:04 PM
This is a sobering search:
https://www.odmp.org/search?name=&agency=&state=&cause=Gunfire+%28Inadvertent%29&from=1776&to=2022&filter=nok9

From 1856 to 2022, and the issue continues.

ECS686
10-22-2022, 01:38 PM
I had a light bulb moment back in '87-'88 when I watched a SEAL blow two of his toes off with a shotgun. I was very young in my shooting journey and I figured if a high-speed frogman could do that, then I'd better watch out.

When I was on SWAT in the early days there was the attitude of, "This might be seen as unsafe, but we're all switched on and we trust each other." This was usually in regard to things like muzzle safety in the stack. It took a bit of maturity as a team to do away with that.

Years later, I'm running through a rifle drill as a Trooper. I'm moving through the problem, engaging and disengaging the safety, as needed, when the range master tells me, "You're a shooter, you don't have to worry about the safety. " Whaaaaaat?

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Had the same unsolicited reaction from some schmuck that happened to see some simminutions training we were doing. We were conditioned to de cock our Sig 228’s after engaging when continuing to clear. Apparently this Airsoft clown knew a better way and had to try to “enlighten “ us. We just laughed.

jnc36rcpd
10-22-2022, 04:58 PM
I had already participated in an run scenario training when I read "Training at the Speed of Life". When I read the book, I thought Murray was something of an alarmist. The more experience I gained as an instructor, the more I realized he was absolutely right.

Lon
10-23-2022, 07:02 AM
I’ve become a firm believer in Draconian safety measure for any type of training that involves pointing guns at live role players.

HCM
11-05-2022, 11:06 PM
And just a few weeks later it’s happened again in Texas (DFW area).

Thankfully the Officer is still alive. I don’t know who the “third party training provider” was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/sansom-park-officer-shot-during-active-shooter-training-at-elementary-school-police-say/ar-AA13MFdK

Sansom Park officer shot during active shooter training at elementary school, police say

FOREST HILL, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — A Sansom Park police officer is in critical condition after reportedly getting shot during an active shooter training session at an elementary school Saturday afternoon.

At approximately 2:12 p.m. Nov. 5, Forest Hill police received a call that an officer was down during a "training accident," Everman Police Chief Craig Spencer said.

The officer was reportedly shot with a live round and then taken by ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital where she is in critical but stable condition. Her identity has not been released at this time.

The session was put on by a third party training provider at David K Sellars Elementary in Forest Hill, Spencer said. Several other agencies, including the Sansom Park Police Department, also participated in the training.

Spencer said the third party provider supplied the equipment used and that there was no plan for there to be any live fire training.

The Tarrant County Sheriff's Office along with the Texas Rangers are currently investigating the incident.

Forest Hill Mayor Stephanie Boardingham has since asked the community to send prayers and condolences to the family of the officer.

"We would just like to send our prayers and condolences to the family of the officer that was shot. Also, we ask for the same for our officers here in Forest Hill, as well as all officers that were attending this training," Boardingham said. "Please help us to pray for the officers, and for everyone who is conducting the investigation so that we can all get through this."