PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 Help

Ray Keith
09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a 6920 that is bone stock. My vision is getting to the point that shooting the thing has become a constant exercise in frustration with the irons.

I would like to add an optic, I see no need to break the bank for the latest and greatest but will spend what I need to. I don't need precision to the point I see discussed on forums, I just need it setup to be easier to shoot. It isn't the primary greeter gun at home, but I would like it usable for that purpose in the event they call ahead. I know zero about mounts, mounting etc...and am at best an average amateur with the rifle and don't pretend to be anything else. I take it to the occasional carbine class, seldom shoot it more than 100 yards but would like to be able to shoot pigs further out on occasion. Magnification isn't a big deal but I have seen discussions her and elsewhere about a magnifier that is placed either in front of a red dot or behind, it can apparently be flipped out of the way when not needed, but I am basically baffled by the whole discussion.

I would like suggestions on a red dot and perhaps one of the magnifiers. Also any back up irons that might be needed with this arrangement. Suggestions and direction to learning material would be a big help. Thanks.

bdcheung
09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I put an Aimpoint PRO on my 6920 and couldn't be happier. For my money, it was the best value optic out there.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VrgZ-xOY0_4/UEAN3U6DepI/AAAAAAAAd_c/8dymQB9plR0/s800/DSC_0003.JPG

Ray Keith
09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I put an Aimpoint PRO on my 6920 and couldn't be happier. For my money, it was the best value optic out there.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VrgZ-xOY0_4/UEAN3U6DepI/AAAAAAAAd_c/8dymQB9plR0/s800/DSC_0003.JPG

Forgive the ignorance, but is that magnified? Variable?

I can't tell if it is on the rail or the flat top of the receiver or both? Does it mount directly or is there something in between it and the rifle?

What is the handguard setup on the front?

Thanks for the reply, I need training wheels...

TR675
09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Concur on the pro. I don't find the Aimpoint 3x magnifier especially useful, but YMMV.

Kyle Reese
09-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I understand your situation and have been there myself.

The good news is that a solution to your dilemma might be as easy as the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-pro-patrol-rifle-optic-w-mount). A Daniel Defense (http://www.skdtac.com/Daniel-Defense-A1-5-BUIS-Rear-Sight-p/ddf.115.htm) BUIS sits on my Colt 6920 back CONUS, and has proven to be robust, easy to use and inexpensive.

I'd hold off on the magnifier unless you're absolutely certain you'll need one. With an Aimpoint and a good BZO, you should be able to engage targets effectively out to 100 meters (and much further) with no issues.

Ray Keith
09-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I understand your situation and have been there myself.

The good news is that a solution to your dilemma might be as easy as the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic (http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-pro-patrol-rifle-optic-w-mount). A Daniel Defense (http://www.skdtac.com/Daniel-Defense-A1-5-BUIS-Rear-Sight-p/ddf.115.htm) BUIS sits on my Colt 6920 back CONUS, and has proven to be robust, easy to use and inexpensive.

I'd hold off on the magnifier unless you're absolutely certain you'll need one. With an Aimpoint and a good BZO, you should be able to engage targets effectively out to 100 meters (and much further) with no issues.

To both Fred and Triumph, so the Aimpoint Pro is a constant 3x magnifier (EDIT: nevermind figured that out reading the links)? A quick look at Fred's link immediately presents the question of the mount, those options in the drop down mean little to me.

"BZO" is..:confused:

This is the type of help I need however, thank you.

LittleLebowski
09-25-2012, 11:12 AM
To both Fred and Triumph, so the Aimpoint Pro is a constant 3x magnifier? A quick look at Fred's link immediately presents the question of the mount, those options in the drop down mean little to me.

"BZO" is..:confused:

This is the type of help I need however, thank you.

No. It's a 2MOA red dot sight. I love mine.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/d7b4a69e.jpg

bdcheung
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Forgive the ignorance, but is that magnified? Variable?

I can't tell if it is on the rail or the flat top of the receiver or both? Does it mount directly or is there something in between it and the rifle?

What is the handguard setup on the front?

Thanks for the reply, I need training wheels...

It's not magnified. Just a plain jane, 1x30 2moa red dot.

The PRO is mounted on the forward-most portion of the receiver. The PRO comes with an Aimpoint mount which is heavy but durable. With Magpul MBUS, I've got absolute cowitness.

The handguard is the Troy Delta Rail, a 2-piece free float that mounts to the stock barrel nut and allowed me to preserve the front sight post.

Kyle Reese
09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
If you're looking to minimize costs, the "Aimpoint Mount" option will work just fine. Sorry about that- I didn't look at the drop down menu for the mounts. The Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO) is not a variable optic, meaning all you have is a 2 minute of angle (MOA) red dot in a "tube". Click the power knob clockwise, and the dot gets brighter and brighter. When you zero, you'll want the lowest power setting as long as the dot is still visible.

I use a 100 yard zero on my 6920. There are many opinions and schools of thought on zeros, you will find some folks like 100, some folks 200, and some 300. To each their own. If you plan on doing alot of 100 yard and close shooting, a 100 meter zero might make the most sense.

TR675
09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Ray, a little more detail.

The Pro is a 1x (unmagnified) red dot optic. It is relatively inexpensive, rugged, and has a long lasting battery. It is a generation or two older than the newest and coolest Aimpoint red dots, the T1/H1 and M4, but does most everything they do. It is cheaper and lighter than the M4 and cheaper than the T1/H1, but not lighter. If Consumer Reports was awesome and reviewed this kind of thing, they would call the Pro a "best buy."

You can buy a separate stand-alone 3x magnifier that mounts behind the red-dot if you need magnification. You can get a twist off mount for the magnifier or, alternatively, a LaRue QD mount that pivots the magnifier out of the way. I have the LaRue mount and find the magnifier largely unnecessary unless I'm shooting at a range that requires magnified optics.

These red dots are supposed to be a good asset for aging eyes. They are definitely easier to shoot than irons.

Ray Keith
09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
If you're looking to minimize costs, the "Aimpoint Mount" option will work just fine. Sorry about that- I didn't look at the drop down menu for the mounts. The Patrol Rifle Optic (PRO) is not a variable optic, meaning all you have is a 2 minute of angle (MOA) red dot in a "tube". Click the power knob clockwise, and the dot gets brighter and brighter. When you zero, you'll want the lowest power setting as long as the dot is still visible.

I use a 100 yard zero on my 6920. There are many opinions and schools of thought on zeros, you will find some folks like 100, some folks 200, and some 300. To each their own. If you plan on doing alot of 100 yard and close shooting, a 100 meter zero might make the most sense.

You have all been most helpful, thank you. The primary problem I have in carbine classes is that the instruction in "beginner" classes isn't beginner enough and seems to move ahead to the shooting issues long before I have a clue about the basics of setup, zero etc... They "zero" the rifle themselves and away we go. So I am left with no concept of the hows and whys or the ability to do this part myself.

Should I spend the time to learn about "co-witnessing". I have a very very basic idea of the concept, but is it important to someone of my minimal skill level? The more simplistic question I have is, properly mounted will I still see the iron front sight through the Aimpoint? If it is visible at all, I assume that it needs to be co-witnessed or else it is a distraction, no?

I would further assume (with all the inherent danger that entails) that I would install the back up DD sight and zero that first, then attach the optic, correct?

Ray Keith
09-25-2012, 11:57 AM

BD what is mounted under the rail?

bdcheung
09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Magpul AFG2.

Better shot:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Pit1nOCOO5I/UEAN3WWj22I/AAAAAAAAd_U/FiEM_w_89J8/s800/DSC_0001.JPG

peterb
09-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Should I spend the time to learn about "co-witnessing". I have a very very basic idea of the concept, but is it important to someone of my minimal skill level? The more simplistic question I have is, properly mounted will I still see the iron front sight through the Aimpoint? If it is visible at all, I assume that it needs to be co-witnessed or else it is a distraction, no?

This may help:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2497-UNDERSTANDING-CO-WITNESS

John Ralston
09-25-2012, 02:33 PM

I don't have a preference of bottom 1/3 or absolute. I never notice the front sight anyway - when you are shooting it just disappears and all you see is dot and a target. Bottom 1/3 probably more so, but I never had issues with absolute either. If you put a BUIS on it, you can sight in either the dot or the buis first, then move the other to coincide with the first. Once you have made everything line up, shoot it again with the second system to confirm that both are zeroed correctly.

Jay Cunningham
09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Aimpoint PRO with a Daniel Defense rear is my general recommendation.

Little Creek
09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Anyone out there who uses a Leupold Prismatic Tactical?

Oldstate
09-27-2012, 09:52 PM

The handguard is the Troy Delta Rail, a 2-piece free float that mounts to the stock barrel nut and allowed me to preserve the front sight post.

That's the rail I wanted 2 years ago but I don't think it existed. I picked up and Omega X FSP from DD when they were on sale at Midway for $200.

By the way, Midway has a $35 of $300 or more code meaning you could get the PRO for $365:p. good until the 30th

It's not magnified. Just a plain jane, 1x30 2moa red dot.

I have the PRO and love it. The 2moa allows you to dial down the brightness creating a pin size dot perfect for sighting in the rifle at 100

$10 off $50 - Promo Code AR15910
$15 off $100 - Promo Code AR15915
$25 off $200 - Promo Code AR15925
$35 off $300 - Promo Code AR15935

tmoore912
09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Magpul AFG2.

Better shot:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Pit1nOCOO5I/UEAN3WWj22I/AAAAAAAAd_U/FiEM_w_89J8/s800/DSC_0001.JPG

I wish they made a rail like that for a mid-length AR15 with the cut out for the FSB.:(

Suvorov
09-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Just another super happy PRO owner chiming in here!

The 2moa dot give me the precision I need to hit out to 300 meters with no problems at all (300 being the limit as it is as far as I have a range to shoot at). It is rock solid and among the best $400 I have ever spent. Add to that the fact that it comes with a serviceable co witness mount, there are very few better options out there and no better budget minded options out there.

tremiles
09-30-2012, 02:14 PM
I wish they made a rail like that for a mid-length AR15 with the cut out for the FSB.:(

Centurion makes a middy cutout rail that extends the sides and bottom, but doesn't completely enclose the FSP.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Centurion-Arms-C4-Rail-System-Mid-Length-Cutout-p/centurion%200609-mc.htm

sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

rob_s
10-01-2012, 05:57 AM
The primary problem I have in carbine classes is that the instruction in "beginner" classes isn't beginner enough and seems to move ahead to the shooting issues long before I have a clue about the basics of setup, zero etc... They "zero" the rifle themselves and away we go. So I am left with no concept of the hows and whys or the ability to do this part myself.

What classes are you taking?

We taught an intro carbine last month and essentially we spent the entire day getting people zeroed and working on fundamentals of good marksmanship. Randy Cain's carbine 1 course will do the same but work in more variety of other stuff in three days vs. our one.

If you're taking an intro carbine course and you're not leaving zeroed, or at least with the skills and knowledge to do it yourself, something is horribly wrong with that course.