PDA

View Full Version : Fascination with guns and knives

JConn
09-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I was just told in a suicide prevention training that a fascination with guns and knives was a sign that someone may be considering suicide.... Well shit, as if people at work didn't think my hobby was weird enough.

Zhurdan
09-25-2012, 09:09 AM
We have online training classes that we all have to take and about a year ago, the topic was work place violence. Well, I've given advice to many of the upper up's on different guns, where to get training, etc. and the minute people got done with that training module, you'd have thought I was a raving lunatic!

According to the training module, one of the key indicators of potential work place violence is gun ownership. I LOL'd.

TGS
09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Heh.....heh heh.

You should've seen the reaction from my high school principle when I proposed that we start a smallbore rifle team. heh heh. Me having a teacher lined up to coach the team is probably the only thing that kept the school from calling the FBI thinking I was a terrorist. But at the same time, we had up to 3 days off at our discretion during hunting season to go hunting and kill stuff with guns. The pine barrens of New Jersey is so confused. :rolleyes: Bunch of racist white people driving around with confederate flags while blasting gangster rap on huge subwoofers and schools that give kids off to go hunting but still have a perverted aversion to guns.

Then 2 years later I went to college in Vermont, where the rifle coach couldn't comprehend that we didn't have high school smallbore teams. The idea of a high school not having a smallbore team to him was like telling someone that the year is 102 BC.

TCinVA
09-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Those "prevention" programs are often about as useful as those falling rocks signs. _____ can be a sign of impending suicide!

You know what else can be a sign of suicide? Someone who is cheerful. People who make the decision to off themselves often cheer up before the deed because they figure they're about to solve their problems. So we should also, I suppose, grab anybody who is whistling a tune and strap them to a gurney lest they do themselves some mischief. Ditto anyone who gives us a gift.

Zhurdan
09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
The sad part of it all was that people, for a while, treated me differently. The SAME people who were asking for advice on buying a gun! It will never cease to amaze me how easily people are "trained" to believe something.

CCT125US
09-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I remember reading Guns & Ammo in 5th grade durrring recess. The teacher was glad I showed such an interest in reading. How the times have changed.

TCinVA
09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
The sad part of it all was that people, for a while, treated me differently. The SAME people who were asking for advice on buying a gun! It will never cease to amaze me how easily people are "trained" to believe something.

Human beings don't do so good with reason all the time. If we all acted as independent reasonable thinkers all the time we wouldn't have 1/10th of the problems we have.

Byron
09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I was just told in a suicide prevention training that a fascination with guns and knives was a sign that someone may be considering suicide
In college, I spent a few semesters as a teacher's aide in a R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) class.
A fascination with guns and knives was listed in that class as a sign of a potential rapist.

So.... maybe all the rapists of the world will kill themselves before raping any more victims?

LHS
09-25-2012, 01:21 PM
We have online training classes that we all have to take and about a year ago, the topic was work place violence. Well, I've given advice to many of the upper up's on different guns, where to get training, etc. and the minute people got done with that training module, you'd have thought I was a raving lunatic!

According to the training module, one of the key indicators of potential work place violence is gun ownership. I LOL'd.

My boss got a bit leery of me when he heard me talking about ARs and AKs to a similarly-minded co-worker. He made a half-joking quip about walking carefully around me, when another co-worker (who is not at all a gun person) said, "Dude, he worked at <former employer with horrible reputation for employee relations> for SIX YEARS and didn't kill ANYONE. I think he's ok." My boss thought about that for a while, and that was the end of the unease. Now we compare microbrew preferences and he's asking my advice on buying a handgun for home defense. It's all about how you present yourself.

ChrisG
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/08/army-struggles-to-respond-to-epidemic-of-suicides-during-suicide-prevention-briefs/

Pretty much sums up the Suicide Prevention Brief experience.

NickA
09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Lucky me, my boss and about six coworkers all got our CHL's together, it was practically a company outing.
I wonder when exactly an interest in guns and knives became "unhealthy". I'm not that old and growing up the exact opposite was true. My father and grandfather always had guns, always carried a pocket knife and that was just the way it was.
Imagine how many accidents and other stupid crap would be avoided if more people were brought up with guns and knives just being a part of life instead of something to be feared and avoided. Kids are taught to not stick stuff in electrical receptacles, not drink stuff you find under the sink, and yet people would have an absolute fit if you suggested that firearms safety should be part of every child's basic education. It's ludicrous.
Well I'm glad I got that off my chest, /rant, and uh, get off my lawn :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Zhurdan
09-25-2012, 03:36 PM
My boss got a bit leery of me when he heard me talking about ARs and AKs to a similarly-minded co-worker. He made a half-joking quip about walking carefully around me, when another co-worker (who is not at all a gun person) said, "Dude, he worked at <former employer with horrible reputation for employee relations> for SIX YEARS and didn't kill ANYONE. I think he's ok." My boss thought about that for a while, and that was the end of the unease. Now we compare microbrew preferences and he's asking my advice on buying a handgun for home defense. It's all about how you present yourself.

Well, that's the thing. The presentation was professional enough. I took the CEO shooting(he approached me about it) because he couldn't decide between a Glock or an M&P. He got to shoot both and went with the M&P. He talked more about it at work than I ever did. Hence how I ended up helping other people decide.

It wasn't like I was blabbing about guns everyday, but it is a pretty small town and an even smaller office. Weirdest one was a lady that had asked me about helping her learn to shoot because Wyoming dropped their CCW permit requirement. She wouldn't even make eye contact after that monthly training module for quite a while.

Kyle Reese
09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Lucky for me I work with guys that make me look like an amateur when it comes to liking guns and knives. :D

LOKNLOD
09-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Lucky for me I work with guys that make me look like an amateur when it comes to liking guns and knives. :D

According to this thread, you better watch out. Your chances of getting raped by a suicidal active shooter are astronomical.

will_1400
09-26-2012, 12:04 AM
According to this thread, you better watch out. Your chances of getting raped by a suicidal active shooter are astronomical.

Based on some of SouthNarc's posts, that situation might show up on the ECQC cirriculum sometime soon...;)