PDA

View Full Version : For all of you who post the "look at me videos" on YouTube - something to ponder!!

gtmtnbiker98
09-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Have fun with this one:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Prosecutor-Sharpshooter-video-could-implicate-road-rage-killing-suspect-170913491.html?tab=video&c=y&m=y&smobile=y

TCinVA
09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Is the defendant in that case claiming he couldn't have committed the murder because he's a lousy shot? Otherwise it doesn't seem to have a great deal of relevance to the actual case.

orionz06
09-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Having a hard time wondering how a video of me shooting, however good I may be, could be used against me unless I really screw something up somewhere along the way.

gtmtnbiker98
09-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Don't know, but the mere mention of YouTube videos and the future admission as evidence of said video is awakening!! Laying all claims aside.

ford.304
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Wonderful reporting. They make a big deal out of the video and the fact that he has a press in his house, and don't mention the broken glass, replacement window, and new tires (ie, the evidence that might actually convict him) until the last paragraph.

TCinVA
09-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't know, but the mere mention of YouTube videos and the future admission as evidence of said video is awakening!! Laying all claims aside.

It's certainly a good idea to consider carefully what one pushes out to the internet because it can be used against you in one form or another.

justcor
09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Have fun with this one:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Prosecutor-Sharpshooter-video-could-implicate-road-rage-killing-suspect-170913491.html?tab=video&c=y&m=y&smobile=y

You could say the same thing about Facebook or any other site. After all getting caught stepping in 'Doodie' would be bad.... Right?

LittleLebowski
09-24-2012, 01:38 PM
You could say the same thing about Facebook or any other site. After all getting caught stepping in 'Doodie' would be bad.... Right?

I see what you did there :D

YVK
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Dear Todd:

That score I got during last October's AFHF: I missed a target x6, it was a sniper with a suppressed 9 mm carbine in the bushes...all my DOW scores are lies...I count on you confirming under oath that I suck.

Love,
YVK

(feverishly working on erasing all evidence of our last local IDPA match).

rudy99
09-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Police tell KOMO News they found a so-called "gun room" during Friday's search of Bowman's home, filled with bullet-making equipment, ammunition and rifles.

Ug, I'm so jealous, I wish I had a gun room....and this guy makes his own bullets?! Skillz!!

Zhurdan
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I understand the point about what's out on the net can and will be used against you, but from what I can gather from the article... it seems unnecessary. Isn't driving up beside someone and shooting them in the head because of a road rage incident plenty?

What does his proficiency with a gun have to do with his "intent" to do someone else harm? If someone were to beat someone to death with a baseball bat, would they then point out that he was an All State baseball player/ home run champ? I realize they are two different things, but isn't it the intent of a person that is prosecuted, not how proficient they are at it? IANAL BTW. :D

CCT125US
09-24-2012, 02:27 PM

This is me laughing :) Well played

gtmtnbiker98
09-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Something like that.

joshs
09-24-2012, 02:35 PM
What does his proficiency with a gun have to do with his "intent" to do someone else harm? If someone were to beat someone to death with a baseball bat, would they then point out that he was an All State baseball player/ home run champ? I realize they are two different things, but isn't it the intent of a person that is prosecuted, not how proficient they are at it? IANAL BTW. :D

The only connection I can see is if they are having trouble getting direct evidence linking him to the scene, they could try to to claim that the shooting had to be done by a proficient shooter (multiple head shots) and that the defendant was indeed a proficient shooter as evidenced by the video. I don't think that this is likely to work, and I can think of a number of ways to challenge the admissibility of the video. The prosecutor could also be trying to use video, and his office's possible attempt to enter it into evidence, as a way of drawing attention to the case to taint the jury pool.

ToddG
09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
I count on you confirming under oath that I suck.

I tell everyone I meet.

re: the video, it would be interesting to hear from someone on the ground what evidentiary value the video offers. Unless the defendant claims he doesn't own a gun or doesn't know how to shoot, I don't see it...

Dagga Boy
09-24-2012, 11:18 PM
What's Facebook.........:confused:

orionz06
09-25-2012, 06:40 AM
What's Facebook.........:confused:

It's a daily log where you share your meals, feelings, and start fights. It can also be used to troll your parents and change peoples minds about politics.

It may or may not be the first 2 hours of everyone's day.

jlw
09-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Justification: that is the question.

JFK
09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
It's certainly a good idea to consider carefully what one pushes out to the internet because it can be used against you in one form or another.

There are companies who make a lot of money archiving and indexing Facebook and Twitter and the like. So even if you delete something now it does not mean it is gone. Many are now using these archive / people profile companies as part of the hiring process.

TCinVA
09-25-2012, 10:42 AM
It's best to assume that once something goes onto the internet, it's there and searchable forever.

This knowledge seems plainly evident to me, which is why I'm continually mystified at people who put their naked pictures on USB drives, leave them in a public place, and then act severely panicked at the loss. I found a drive the other week that had all a sorority girl's personal information on it. And the naked pics she took while on a trip to a foreign country.

She's lucky I found the drive rather than someone else. I have a personal code of ethics and honor I will not transgress against, and so her pictures weren't shared with anyone or posted to some site on the internet. Others would not have reacted with such restraint.

ToddG
09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Of course, TC had to look through all the photos to identify her properly.

Fourteen times...

TCinVA
09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
After opening the first one I could identify her really well. There wasn't much left to the imagination, really.

Default.mp3
09-25-2012, 11:30 AM
After opening the first one I could identify her really well. There wasn't much left to the imagination, really.

As an aside, I personally would not open a USB drive I found randomly on any personal computer of mine without sandboxing. It's probably more common in the corporate/government sector, but USB drives can and have been configured for auto-attacking your systems.

TCinVA
09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
As an aside, I personally would not open a USB drive I found randomly on any personal computer of mine without sandboxing. It's probably more common in the corporate/government sector, but USB drives can and have been configured for auto-attacking your systems.

I have disposable virtual machines with virtual network connections that can be easily quarantined which are useful for such things. ;)

Bigguy
09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
A friend of mine repairs iPhones. It's absolutely amazing what people will leave on a phone they hand off to someone to fix. His desk is next to mine and we've gotten a eye full. We never keep any of the photos we find, but some are real eye popers.

orionz06
09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
It's best to assume that once something goes onto the internet, it's there and searchable forever.

This knowledge seems plainly evident to me, which is why I'm continually mystified at people who put their naked pictures on USB drives, leave them in a public place, and then act severely panicked at the loss. I found a drive the other week that had all a sorority girl's personal information on it. And the naked pics she took while on a trip to a foreign country.

She's lucky I found the drive rather than someone else. I have a personal code of ethics and honor I will not transgress against, and so her pictures weren't shared with anyone or posted to some site on the internet. Others would not have reacted with such restraint.

Was she hot?

TCinVA
09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
A friend of mine repairs iPhones. It's absolutely amazing what people will leave on a phone they hand off to someone to fix. His desk is next to mine and we've gotten a eye full. We never keep any of the photos we find, but some are real eye popers.

Video, too.

...and when people back that stuff up on a local machine it stays there unless they are manually deleting backups. iPhones and iPads are a forensic goldmine.

Was she hot?

There is no possible response to this that doesn't make me look like a ridiculous white knight or a bit of a creeper. So on advice of counsel I respectfully refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me. Offers void where prohibited or taxed, no purchase necessary, with liberty and justice for all.

Alaskapopo
09-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Went to a good training a year ago that had a class on internet survival for officers. Lots of cops have been fired for doing stupid stuff on line. However just follow the general rule of don't post anything you would not want on the 5 oclock news.
Pat

John Ralston
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
There is no possible response to this that doesn't make me look like a ridiculous white knight or a bit of a creeper.

A bit of a creeper...really!? I think we all know that you are a full blown creeper - at least that is what Todd tells everyone.

Default.mp3
09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I have disposable virtual machines with virtual network connections that can be easily quarantined which are useful for such things. ;)

Ah, rock on then.

As another aside, I think that people fail to fully understand the whole permanence of data that's uploaded online thing simply because it's a relatively new phenomenon. After all, wide spread adoption of the Web has come about only in, like, the last decade of so, and social networking only in the last 5ish years. People didn't grow up with this stuff, and most people still have a fairly weak understanding of the Web and Internet in general. Perhaps the current generation of school kids will have a better grasp of self-censorship online. I'm sure that as a civilization, we will learn it sooner or later, if only by necessity; peeps are already learning out the hard way that their college party pics from a couple years ago can haunt them when they start job hunting.

BWT
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and say this. (Probably why I started a post. ;) )

Ridiculous White Knight rolling in. ;) (Not with the K.K.K., no affiliation, just for clarification.)

But, dude, I was talking to a married Co-Worker... who would make a sex-tape? Seriously? Even if you were married, I mean, do you ever go back and watch it together? Do you ever watch it yourself? Why? Why would you leave that primed bomb ready to destroy your life out there like that? I mean, I just shake my head when I see such and such celebrity with a sex tape. It's like, alright... One, I wouldn't do it on principle, and I don't see it as unethical (I'd prefer them to be married before hand, but, anyway) I just wouldn't do it because, to me, that's weird. Two, What would possess anyone to ever say "HEY I GOT A GREAT IDEA!"

That's like incriminating yourself for a serious crime, right away. "Hey... let's setup a camera real quick for this."

Just never seemed like a good idea to me.

jetfire
09-25-2012, 10:04 PM

We need to have a discussion about sharing important information with your pseudoboss.