PDA

View Full Version : Best 10 round magazines for G19 & G31?

4given
10-05-2022, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking of taking either my G19 gen3 or G31 Gen 4 with me down to Lake Havasu this winter. Yes, I am retiring in a few weeks.

We will be spending a lot of time camping on the California side. Even though I am taking revolvers for various reasons, I am kicking around the idea to maybe take a Glock as a "house gun" for the 5th wheel. If I do I need to get a couple of 10 round mags.

I hear there are some reliability issues with OEM 10rnd mags in Glocks, particularly the G19/17. Some folks say the Magpul 10 round mags are better? Are folks having the same issued with 10 rounders in the G31 or G22?

Any advice/input would be appreciated. It's not really a big deal as I am OK with only revolvers for a few months.

HeavyDuty
10-05-2022, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking of taking either my G19 gen3 or G31 Gen 4 with me down to Lake Havasu this winter. Yes, I am retiring in a few weeks.

We will be spending a lot of time camping on the California side. Even though I am taking revolvers for various reasons, I am kicking around the idea to maybe take a Glock as a "house gun" for the 5th wheel. If I do I need to get a couple of 10 round mags.

I hear there are some reliability issues with OEM 10rnd mags in Glocks, particularly the G19/17. Some folks say the Magpul 10 round mags are better? Are folks having the same issued with 10 rounders in the G31 or G22?

Any advice/input would be appreciated. It's not really a big deal as I am OK with only revolvers for a few months.

I don’t know the legality of this, but a friend who lived in CA for a year for work permanently blocked a few full capacity magazines for his stay. I think he added a leg to the bottom of the follower.

GJM
10-05-2022, 12:46 PM

The best solution I have settled on is cutting a 19 down to take OEM G26 10 round mags. If you want to go to the range in Havasu, reach out when you arrive.

Clay
10-05-2022, 12:53 PM
The best solution to the 10rnd mag ban nonsense is a Glock 26, in my experience. If you don't have a Glock 26, you're wrong.

JonInWA
10-05-2022, 12:56 PM
For the G19, definitely Magpul 10 rounders.

For the G31, I'd recommend Glock OEM G22 10 round magazines. There're really aren't any other viable 10 round alternatives for the G22 and G32 other than Glock's, but fortunately the OEM ones have performed decently for me, and so far I haven't picked any negative anecdotal reports on them. The Glock .40/.357 SIG 10 rounders reportedly avoid the drama that the 10 round G17 and G19 magazines have had, especially with JHP cartridges.

It's my understanding that G22 magazines in general can be interchangeably used for .357 SIG cartridges, especially in the full-size G22/G31 platforms; reportedly there have been problems with Glock non-.357 SIG magazines in the compact G32, due to insertion issues and followers.

I've got an OEM Glock .357 SIG barrel for my Gen4 G22, and enjoy it. But since I'm a belt-and suspenders kinda guy, I also have 3 or so G31 .357 SIG OEM magazines...

4given
10-05-2022, 01:03 PM
I don’t know the legality of this, but a friend who lived in CA for a year for work permanently blocked a few full capacity magazines for his stay. I think he added a leg to the bottom of the follower.

My understanding is that is not allowed in CA. Thats the first thing I checked into.

4given
10-05-2022, 01:04 PM
The best solution I have settled on is cutting a 19 down to take OEM G26 10 round mags. If you want to go to the range in Havasu, reach out when you arrive.

Thanks for the offer! I'll give you a holler

4given
10-05-2022, 01:09 PM
For the G19, definitely Magpul 10 rounders.

For the G31, I'd recommend Glock OEM G22 10 round magazines. There're really aren't any other viable 10 round alternatives for the G22 and G32 other than Glock's, but fortunately the OEM ones have performed decently for me, and so far I haven't picked any negative anecdotal reports on them. The Glock .40/.357 SIG 10 rounders reportedly avoid the drama that the 10 round G17 and G19 magazines have had, especially with JHP cartridges.

It's my understanding that G22 magazines in general can be interchangeably used for .357 SIG cartridges, especially in the full-size G22/G31 platforms; reportedly there have been problems with Glock non-.357 SIG magazines in the compact G32, due to insertion issues and followers.

I've got an OEM Glock .357 SIG barrel for my Gen4 G22, and enjoy it. But since I'm a belt-and suspenders kinda guy, I also have 3 or so G31 .357 SIG OEM magazines...

Funny, I have an OEM .40 S&W mag for my Gen4 G31! LOL What about the OEM 10 round G31 mags? are they good to go also? Should be the same the same thing I would think.

JonInWA
10-05-2022, 01:41 PM
Funny, I have an OEM .40 S&W mag for my Gen4 G31! LOL What about the OEM 10 round G31 mags? are they good to go also? Should be the same the same thing I would think.

I'd assume, but I'd personally verify just to make sure. I haven't to the best of my recollection run any .357 SIG through the G22 .40 10 round magazines yet, but I'm about 98% certain they'll run fine-I haven't felt compelled to run out and get any 10 round Glock G31 magazines.

Best, Jon

Up1911Fan
10-05-2022, 01:48 PM
I have a couple 10 round magsfor my P365XL's as a travel solution. Obviously the standard P365 would work great in this role as well, that's just a more specialized gun for me and I prefer the longer grip of the XL. I personally don't trust any 10 round options for the G19.

ECVMatt
10-05-2022, 02:11 PM
I have had great luck with factory 10 round magazines in full sized guns. Those would be my first choice for the 31. I have had good luck with the Magpul 10 round Glock 19 magazines. As noted in a previous thread, I have found steel ammo and Glock Pmags have not worked well for me.

I would also keep an eye on the court system. There could be a change coming in November that would allow you to legally bring your normal capacity magazines into California.

elsquid
10-05-2022, 05:20 PM
I would also keep an eye on the court system. There could be a change coming in November that would allow you to legally bring your normal capacity magazines into California.

:D

We all have our fingers crossed!

As far as blocking mags in CA, people do that. There are companies that offer products expressly for that, like:

( I’ve not used these guys, just an example )

https://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/pistols/glock/glock-19-magblock-10-15-9mm.html

The law states:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=16740

As used in this part, “large-capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(b) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(c) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

What does “permanently” mean? No one knows for sure. But if the mag can be easily disassembled and the block removed, it’s probably “not permanent.” ;)

Go to calguns…

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

Do a search for “magazine blocks” and you’ll find tons of threads.

— Michael

Glenn E. Meyer
10-06-2022, 11:46 AM
I shoot Glock mags or Magpul 10 rounders in a G19 or 17. Now that is with WWB and similar FMJ with no problems. Haven't seen a problem with HST or Critical Duty but haven't shot them that much.

4given
10-06-2022, 02:00 PM

Is this a proposed new law or rule change? I won't be heading for CA until Dec 1

GJM
10-06-2022, 02:08 PM
Here is your ten round magazine solution.

RevolverRob
10-06-2022, 02:10 PM
I thought the 10-round solution for Glocks was the G48? :confused:

4given
10-06-2022, 03:15 PM
Here is your ten round magazine solution.

Or I could just take my P365. That's sounding better each day.

Rocket20_Ginsu
10-06-2022, 07:34 PM
I’ve had good luck with factory 10 rd mags for FMJ but would not feed JHP reliably.

Have not had any hiccups w/ JHP with magpul 10 rd mags and would personally trust those over OEM for SD 10rd use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newyork
10-06-2022, 07:50 PM
Most people I know (NY) have not had issues with g19 10rd oem mags and ball or hp over tons of rounds. A few local guys did have HP issues with his Gen 4.

GJM
10-06-2022, 08:07 PM
Or I could just take my P365. That's sounding better each day.

That is a perfect solution for Havasu, and the board shorts you will be wearing!

ECVMatt
10-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Is this a proposed new law or rule change? I won't be heading for CA until Dec 1

There is a potential to vacate the magazine ban in Nov/Dec perhaps starting another freedom week or longer.

I am sure the state will try to throw this back into limbo, but we might get a window to import some more regular capacity mags into CA.

Duncan V. Bonta is the case we are watching closely in CA.

Wake27
10-07-2022, 10:24 AM
I had the most luck with Magpul 10 rounders in my G19 while in Hawaii. I shot very little JHP through them though, because of price and availability. But I had perfect mag related reliability for a few years out there with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DocGKR
10-07-2022, 01:19 PM
As previously discussed and documented, including here at PF, Glock 10rd magazines for the G19 and G17 are NOT reliable enough for defensive or duty purposes based on actual testing in multiple G19 and G17 pistols using duty ammunition. In every Glock armorer class I have taken, the G19/G17 OEM 10 rd mags were specifically mentioned as not being acceptable for duty/defensive use due to reliability issues compared to standard capacity OEM G19/G17 mags.

If you want to have a reliable 10 rd 9mm Glock in California, get a G26 (3rd gen) or take a G19 (3rd gen) using 10 rd mags, cut it down to accept G26's OEM mags, also as previously documented here at PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23204-A-solution-for-illogical-10-rd-mag-limits

JonInWA
10-07-2022, 03:09 PM
As previously discussed and documented, including here at PF, Glock 10rd magazines for the G19 and G17 are NOT reliable enough for defensive or duty purposes based on actual testing in multiple G19 and G17 pistols using duty ammunition. In every Glock armorer class I have taken, the G19/G17 OEM 10 rd mags were specifically mentioned as not being acceptable for duty/defensive use due to reliability issues compared to standard capacity OEM G19/G17 mags.

If you want to have a reliable 10 rd 9mm Glock in California, get a G26 (3rd gen) or take a G19 (3rd gen) using 10 rd mags, cut it down to accept G26's OEM mags, also as previously documented here at PF: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23204-A-solution-for-illogical-10-rd-mag-limits

Gary, I'll echo what you're saying, but would be interested if you've concurrently experimented with the Magpul 10 rounders for the G19 and G17. It seems that those who have tried, including myself have had success with them, at least to date. Using them is certainly a less drastic approach then subjecting one's G19 to the knife/Dremel, or going to a G26 (not that the G26 or G48 is a bad choice).

Best, Jon

Navin Johnson
10-07-2022, 07:16 PM
During the Clinton ban I used 10 round OEM Glock magazines in both my GEN two and G3 19 and never had a problem. That being said I would heed the advice of those with more experience that saw multiple pistols and multiple events.

When Glock can’t crack the code on 10 Round magazines I’m not sure how Magpil can because they can’t crack the code on standard magazines.

Also I wonder why people are trying to save six or seven bucks a magazine to use non-OEM and then have to shoot a bunch of ammo in OEM mags to regain confidence.

JonInWA
10-08-2022, 07:18 AM
During the Clinton ban I used 10 round OEM Glock magazines in both my GEN two and G3 19 and never had a problem. That being said I would heed the advice of those with more experience that saw multiple pistols and multiple events.

When Glock can’t crack the code on 10 Round magazines I’m not sure how Magpil can because they can’t crack the code on standard magazines.

Also I wonder why people are trying to save six or seven bucks a magazine to use non-OEM and then have to shoot a bunch of ammo in OEM mags to regain confidence.

While I totally agree that OEM Glock magazines are the way to go with the G17/G19 platforms regarding full capacity magazines, those of us in states with capacity limits unfortunately need to now default to the 10 rounders-hence the basis for the thread discussion regarding viable 10 rounders. Apparently there's insufficient financial impetus for Glock to redesign their G17/G19 10 round magazines, so Magpul has stepped into the market niche (fortunately, or we'd have even more compelling reasons to chop our guns to facilitate G26 magazines or switch platforms entirely).

Best, Jon

Glenn E. Meyer
10-08-2022, 10:24 AM
My EDC is a G26 with factory mags and HST, Critical Duty rounds usually. The 10 rounds are for my G17 match guns and my Ruger PCC. So far little problems with FMJ. I wouldn't carry the G17 with a 10 rounder, why bother? If I were to carry that size gun (why?), it would be my 1911. Sadly, I ditched a bunch of standard Glock mags coming to Gov. Hochul land (family, so that's that). If Scotus and lower courts EVER wipe out mag bans, then I will rethink.

Navin Johnson
10-08-2022, 11:07 AM
While I totally agree that OEM Glock magazines are the way to go with the G17/G19 platforms regarding full capacity magazines, those of us in states with capacity limits unfortunately need to now default to the 10 rounders-hence the basis for the thread discussion regarding viable 10 rounders. Apparently there's insufficient financial impetus for Glock to redesign their G17/G19 10 round magazines, so Magpul has stepped into the market niche (fortunately, or we'd have even more compelling reasons to chop our guns to facilitate G26 magazines or switch platforms entirely).

Best, Jon

I live in the “425”

Debating a used G5 19 if prices drop. Held off knowing there would eventually be a ban.

Our state will likely follow Cali meaning after an AR ban or restrictions next will be to completely ban regular cap mags so if that is the case then a move to a different platform with reliable 10 rounders for full sized use may be in order.

Will stick with the 26 for serious use (or a “grandfathered” gift from our liberal Monarchy) in the 17/19 platform.

newyork
10-08-2022, 12:54 PM
Maybe before dumping off the platforms, you get some 10rd now and test em with hp. Hard to do if the money isn’t there which I get. I’m broke as hell.

I know the mags have been tested and some have had issues but tons of ppl in ban states run their 10rd mags with hp and ball with good results. I haven’t had the chance to shoot my Gen 5 much but in the past I had Gen 4 and 10rd and went through hp vetting and lots of ball.

I have a few friends that have shot way more than me and are much better shooters and only one I know of had issues.

I think if you’re a 19 shooter and your state is going all banny, try out some 10rd and some HP before dumping your 17/19

This is also a talk to myself as these types of threads have made me dump Glocks in the past.

Navin Johnson
10-08-2022, 02:15 PM
Maybe before dumping off the platforms, you get some 10rd now and test em with hp. Hard to do if the money isn’t there which I get. I’m broke as hell.

I know the mags have been tested and some have had issues but tons of ppl in ban states run their 10rd mags with hp and ball with good results. I haven’t had the chance to shoot my Gen 5 much but in the past I had Gen 4 and 10rd and went through hp vetting and lots of ball.

I have a few friends that have shot way more than me and are much better shooters and only one I know of had issues.

I think if you’re a 19 shooter and your state is going all banny, try out some 10rd and some HP before dumping your 17/19

This is also a talk to myself as these types of threads have made me dump Glocks in the past.

Let’s see……One great reason to not use the OEM Glock 10 round mags is Glock says don’t use them.

newyork
10-08-2022, 02:32 PM
Pretty shitty of them to not upgrade them and continue selling them if they do t believe in em

JonInWA
10-08-2022, 08:08 PM
The OEM Glock 10 round magazines for the G17 and G19 tend to work ok with ball, not so much with hollowpoints. I have OEM Glock 10 rounders for both, and haven't had any problems with ball when using them, but the Magpul 10 rounders seem reasonably vetted for both. So I'm using the Magpuls for competition, and saving/preserving my OEM high capacity ones for more serious work.

Most LEOs in ban states are given exceptions to use the traditional high/normal capacity magazines, which apparently mitigates Glock's perception that the 10 rounders need to be redesigned, although if commercial demand increases, that might change.

I orient my use to platforms that I index and perform well with. I'm personally preferential to a G19 than a G26, so it's not a huge concern if my G19 is constrained to 10 rounds as opposed to 15, provided that the 10 round magazines are reliable and durable.

Similarly, I haven't felt any huge urge to go to a G48. I may at some point take a look at a G30 (or, for that matter, a HK 45C).

Best, Jon

Lester Polfus
10-08-2022, 08:52 PM
Most LEOs in ban states are given exceptions to use the traditional high/normal capacity magazines, which apparently mitigates Glock's perception that the 10 rounders need to be redesigned, although if commercial demand increases, that might change.

I have been heavily invested in the Glock 19 platform since the mid-2000s. By "heavily invested" I mean, "give Diane Feinstein a heart attack, insert boating accident joke here" level of invested.

I tend to swap out carry mags every few years and turn them into training mags. I stocked up before Washington's 10-round limit kicked in, and I mostly carry revolvers these days, but I'm thinking about doing something I said I would never do: divesting from the Glock 19 platform. I have A LOT of money tied up in guns, mags, holsters etc, so that's kind of a big deal.

It will be interesting to see if Glock will cede 10 round states to other brands. These days you can't really hide things like "9mm Glocks don't run with 10-round magazines" due to the internet.

I'm eyeballing the P365 and the 4" Shield in .45.

Or maybe I'll just peace out of auto-loaders and just carry revolvers. We'll see.

4given
10-11-2022, 10:11 AM
I'm eyeballing the P365 and the 4" Shield in .45.

I think you will like the P365. I like mine quite a bit. Most days I can shoot it as well as my G19's. After reading all the good advice, I will take my P365 and leave the Glock at home.

newyork
10-12-2022, 09:03 AM
Tech support just told me Glock not standing behind their 10 rd mags is completely untrue and they’re just as trustworthy as their standard capacity mags. Idk if something changed or they’re changing their tune but that’s what I was told. The gentleman seemed passionate about his answer.

Navin Johnson
10-12-2022, 01:47 PM
Tech support just told me Glock not standing behind their 10 rd mags is completely untrue and they’re just as trustworthy as their standard capacity mags. Idk if something changed or they’re changing their tune but that’s what I was told. The gentleman seemed passionate about his answer.

Did you ask him why in armors courses they told people that’s not true?

newyork
10-12-2022, 01:55 PM
Did you ask him why in armors courses they told people that’s not true?

No I didn’t. I should’ve. Feel funny calling them back especially if the same guy answers. Lol. Either they are now just saying they’re good to go to sound good or they’ve fixed something and don’t want to admit the past. Idk. I’m going to continue to trust mine as my experience and most of my local buddies have proven to be good ones. I’ll continue to try HP at each session to keep an eye out as well.

JonInWA
10-12-2022, 01:57 PM
Unless they've fundamentally changed the magazine architecture, I'm skeptical. I would think at a minimum the follower, spring, and possibly the tube would have to be redesigned. If Glock has in fact done so, great, but that wasn't the word I got in my last Armorer re-cert in 2020.

And there's a difference in "standing behind" something and it being "trustworthy." "Standing behind" to me can mean as little as if someone complains, give them a new magazine, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the causal factor(s) have in fact been successfully addressed. The standard for "trustworthy" in the case of these specific magazines would mean that they're fully capable and reliable with both ball and JHP/duty cartridges, and that assertion has been tested and vetted.

I did notice at a local high-volume gunstore yesterday that the 10 round G17 and G19 magazines are now concurrently offered in both Gen 1-4 and Gen 5 guises and that Coyote 10 round magazines are available for the G19X, and that all now have the orange followers, but I'm not sure that the followers themselves have been redesigned.

Best, Jon

newyork
10-12-2022, 02:21 PM
He called them just as good as the 15rd. I noticed the Gen 5 nomenclature and orange follower as well.

I guess best practice would be to get your personal mags and/or block 15rd permanently

SwampDweller
10-12-2022, 08:21 PM
Out of curiosity, why is it that the G48/G43X seem to be low on the list with most people here? Has it been demonstrated that they aren't as reliable or otherwise as up-to-par as the traditional double stack 9mm Glocks? (G17/19/45/19x/26). I've often wondered about this. The dimensions are so reduced as far as the recoil spring, the barrel wall is thinner, and overall there's just less "material" on the 48/43X. I gotta think something is being sacrificed. I feel like I've read on here that the G48/43X had failed FBI testing, but I can't seem to recall what thread it was and if it still hasn't passed.

If I was going to carry a Glock 9mm in a ban state, I likely would go the route well-supported on here of chopping a G19 grip to G26 length and using standard G26 10rd OEM magazines. Then again, if I truly was limited to 10 rounds, I can't help but want them to be as big of BBs as I can reasonably get and get a mid/full size gun to go with it. I'd probably go back with my old trusty HK45C, or carry a full size HK45. Cutting a G21 grip to G30 length and using those mags would also be a tempting option. Also as some here know, I am in the market for a revolver for this very reason.

ETA: I think the P365 is a solid option, especially since OP already has it and presumably has vetted reliability.

rob_s
10-13-2022, 04:53 AM
I’m interested in 10 round 9mm Glock mags as well, but for use in a Ruger PC Carbine.

If the PC Carbine will take G26 mags then that’s probably the answer. If it won’t, it would appear from the above that the Magpul 10-rounders are the next best thing?

SwampDweller
10-13-2022, 06:51 AM
I’m interested in 10 round 9mm Glock mags as well, but for use in a Ruger PC Carbine.

If the PC Carbine will take G26 mags then that’s probably the answer. If it won’t, it would appear from the above that the Magpul 10-rounders are the next best thing?

The reliability of the standard capacity Magpul Glock mags never left me with that much confidence in them from firsthand observation. I don't know why the 10 rounders would be better in that regard.

JonInWA
10-13-2022, 07:17 AM
The reliability of the standard capacity Magpul Glock mags never left me with that much confidence in them from firsthand observation. I don't know why the 10 rounders would be better in that regard.

As I recall, Magpul made some production running changes to the standard capacity magazines for the G17 to address issue areas; presumably those changes found their way to their 10-rounders from the onset.

Best, Jon

SwampDweller
10-13-2022, 07:48 AM
As I recall, Magpul made some production running changes to the standard capacity magazines for the G17 to address issue areas; presumably those changes found their way to their 10-rounders from the onset.

Best, Jon

It's been a while since I've been able to observe Magpul Glock mags being used in numbers with good round counts, so hopefully those running changes corrected the issues I saw. A good ban compliant 10 rounder would be nice. I still like the idea of a G19 with the grip chopped to take G26 10rd mags. Combine that with a Pierce +0 magazine floorplate extension, and I gotta think it'd make it pretty close to a standard G19... at least that's what I remember thinking when putting the 12 round OEM G26 mags in my 26.

10-13-2022, 07:55 AM
The Ruger PCC does indeed work with the Glock 26 magazine. Personal experience.

SwampDweller
10-14-2022, 06:15 PM
Not to repeat myself, but what about the Glock 43x/48, it being a Glock designed to use 10rd mags? For lack of a better word, and perhaps this is too harsh, but it seems to be largely disregarded around here as an equal to other hard-use 9mm Glocks.
I'm simply curious if there's a reason. I've seen words here and there about FBI testing, but have not been able to find anything concrete.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-15-2022, 11:29 AM
Another Rugers work with G26 mag report.

JonInWA
10-17-2022, 09:45 AM
Not to repeat myself, but what about the Glock 43x/48, it being a Glock designed to use 10rd mags? For lack of a better word, and perhaps this is too harsh, but it seems to be largely disregarded around here as an equal to other hard-use 9mm Glocks.
I'm simply curious if there's a reason. I've seen words here and there about FBI testing, but have not been able to find anything concrete.

To me, the G48 just felt too slab-sided and thin, although it's hardly something I couldn't get quickly used to. I just prefer the ergos of the G19/G17, with the magazine capacity (or relative lack thereof in the case of the 10 rounders) a far secondary issue.

What might be interesting (at least for me) would be a G48 with a Hogue HandAll Beavertail sleeve, that might be a good combination (but at this point I don't have suitable incentivization to spend the money for the platform).

Best, Jon

G19Fan
10-17-2022, 01:45 PM
I would block oem standard cap mags.

Gen 5 10 rounds for a g19 seem to run too (have 3 working fine)