PDA

View Full Version : A project to De-Bubba an old pump gun

Spartan1980
10-04-2022, 01:09 PM
Inherited a High Standard K120 Riot Gun that is in almost never fired condition from appearance, so I figure it's worth a little effort to get to shooting condition to have as a shop gun.

It's problem is that my stepdad went full Bubba on it. He put a pic rail on it and didn't bother to have it drilled and tapped for screws. That had an old Bushnell Holosight EOTechlike clone thingy clamped on it. I strongly suspect he used JB Weld to glue it on.

He also concocted a UGE! cheek riser and a truly airsoft worthy elastic buttcuff which he nailed onto the stock. That part I can deal with. I'll probably just fill the holes and rattle can it.

Going to take a propane torch to the rail to hopefully get it separated sometime this week. Receiver is steel so it shouldn't be hurt temper wise but I really hate to jack the bluing since it in really nice shape. I'll probably have to rattlecan that too. :mad:

Sight was already removed and placed by the rail for a pic.

Spartan1980
10-04-2022, 01:13 PM
The cheek riser after I'd started in with my knife.

The aftermath.

HCM
10-04-2022, 01:19 PM
Inherited a High Standard K120 Riot Gun that is in almost never fired condition from appearance, so I figure it's worth a little effort to get to shooting condition to have as a shop gun.

It's problem is that my stepdad went full Bubba on it. He put a pic rail on it and didn't bother to have it drilled and tapped for screws. That had an old Bushnell Holosight EOTechlike clone thingy clamped on it. I strongly suspect he used JB Weld to glue it on.

He also concocted a UGE! cheek riser and a truly airsoft worthy elastic buttcuff which he nailed onto the stock. That part I can deal with. I'll probably just fill the holes and rattle can it.

Going to take a propane torch to the rail to hopefully get it separated sometime this week. Receiver is steel so it shouldn't be hurt temper wise but I really hate to jack the bluing since it in really nice shape. I'll probably have to rattlecan that too. :mad:

Sight was already removed and placed by the rail for a pic.

The Bushnell Holosight is the original holographic reflex sight. Eotech bought the design / rights from Bushnell.

If it's functional, you might get some money for it on ARFCOM from a 90's/early GWOT military rifle cloner.

Lost River
10-04-2022, 02:00 PM
That Bushnell Holosight is a very good sight actually.

I had one for years on a couple different guns, eventually placing it on an S&W M&P AR-22 rimfire trainer that I used as a sub caliber trainer.

Then I ended up stealing it "temporarily" to use on a Ruger Security 6 .357, and it has been on there ever since. The thing works like a charm.

Big old goofy thing has a great sight picture and holds zero perfectly with full power .357 loads.

https://i.imgur.com/4R80Gc8l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/czu4Rvul.jpg?1

CCT125US
10-04-2022, 02:21 PM
If it is JB Weld, I recall that can be removed with Acetone.

Lon
10-04-2022, 02:36 PM
Wow. Just, wow.

SecondsCount
10-04-2022, 03:18 PM
If it is JB Weld, I recall that can be removed with Acetone.

Take a hot iron and set it on top of the pic rail. That will soften the JB Weld enough to get the rail off. After that the acetone should work.

Spartan1980
10-04-2022, 03:56 PM
I came very close to tossing the Holosight in the trash last night. But I thought I’d pick up a set of batteries and see if it still works. If it does maybe it’ll find a home on my lever gun.

The Duracell batteries do what Duracell alkaline batteries do and had leaked. The contacts appear to be unphased by it so we’ll see I guess.

I pulled this thing out to use as a backup to my Browning at an upcoming class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan1980
10-04-2022, 10:14 PM
Got it stripped down. I think I'll dunk it in acetone for a week before I light the torch. I'm skeptical that it will make it under that rail but it's worth a shot I think. I'm beginning to wonder if this gun has even been fired after leaving the factory. It is pristine except for the nail holes in the stock from Bubba. The bore is like a mirror.

willie
10-05-2022, 10:38 AM
Have you test fired this shotgun to verify that it goes bang and operates without malfunction? Most likely it's ok, but you won't know unless you verify.

Spartan1980
10-05-2022, 11:23 AM
Have you test fired this shotgun to verify that it goes bang and operates without malfunction? Most likely it's ok, but you won't know unless you verify.

Not yet but I see no reason to believe it won’t fire. Safety works, it feeds and ejects, and has a fairly decent trigger.

OlongJohnson
10-05-2022, 01:49 PM
The Duracell batteries do what Duracell alkaline batteries do and had leaked. The contacts appear to be unphased by it so we’ll see I guess.

I have good results with a cotton swab dipped in white vinegar to clean up the mess, and another one with clear water to neutralize the acid.

HeavyDuty
10-05-2022, 02:48 PM
I have good results with a cotton swab dipped in white vinegar to clean up the mess, and another one with clear water to neutralize the acid.

Traditional camera repair technique.

Caballoflaco
10-05-2022, 07:12 PM
Heat the rail up with a propane or mapp-gas torch turn the gun upside down and clamp the rail in a vice and pull the gun off of the rail. Just make sure to have some padding where the gun might come into contact with the vice.

Spartan1980
10-05-2022, 10:01 PM
Heat the rail up with a propane or mapp-gas torch turn the gun upside down and clamp the rail in a vice and pull the gun off of the rail. Just make sure to have some padding where the gun might come into contact with the vice.

You know this was pretty much what I was going to try before I decided to try the acetone soak first.

By putting the flame and heat into the aluminum rail, my thinking is it will protect the receiver since aluminum dissipates heat so much faster than steel. Aluminum also expands at a far greater rate than steel when heated and that will also help break the bond. I only have to break the bond on the aluminum piece, once it's gone acetone and a brass bristle wire brush will take it off the receiver. 600 degrees isn't going to hurt the receiver metallurgically but it may well mess up the finish which I do wish to avoid if possible. If I can get the rail to 600 degrees quickly the receiver may not get all that hot.

If the acetone doesn't work I'll tape off the receiver with some aluminum HVAC tape and give it a go. I know it'll come off, just don't know what it's going to look like when it does.

Oldherkpilot
10-06-2022, 06:25 AM
Not yet but I see no reason to believe it won’t fire. Safety works, it feeds and ejects, and has a fairly decent trigger.

Listen to Willie. Not the same gun, but I had a Model 12 donated to me that I wanted to make into a slug gun. I even test fired it before commencing the work, but only with birdshot. It was an old gun with 2 9/16" chambers which will shoot 2 3/4" shells but creates a lot of pressure. I had the smith install a receiver sight, cut the barrel to 22", ream the chamber for 2 3/4" shells and install a front sight. Unfortunately, due to years of shooting the 2 3/4" shells, the lug recess in the receiver was deformed. When I tried zeroing it with slugs, the bolt lug would slip out of the recess under recoil. It would literally put a kink in the case about 3/8" from the rim and totally lock up the gun. The barrel was still fine, but the receiver went for parts. Test fire first, always.

Spartan1980
10-08-2022, 11:47 PM
That Bushnell Holosight is a very good sight actually.

Man you weren't kidding. They are built like tanks!

I picked up a set of N cells for it and it wouldn't wake up. So I took it apart to give all the contacts a thorough vinegar/soda water then alcohol cleaning. I took it pretty far down, pulling the base and main gasket completely off. It did have some crusty but light oxide on the contacts and springs both in the battery box and just inside the housing due to it being stored vertically while the batteries leaked for who knows how long. It didn't look all that bad really and it all cleaned up nicely with some easy abrasion with qtips and polishing compound. But to no avail, it's toast. After doing surgery on it I was really wanting it to work. Bummer, I had another spot for this thing but I'll grab a ACRO or something.

I was quite impressed with the build quality and just how robust the thing was.

Receiver is now at a little over 24 hours soaking submerged in the acetone can. I'll see if I can detach the mount tomorrow evening. I peeked this evening half hoping that the mount would have fallen off. Nope...

HCM
10-09-2022, 12:02 AM
Man you weren't kidding. They are built like tanks!

I picked up a set of N cells for it and it wouldn't wake up. So I took it apart to give all the contacts a thorough vinegar/soda water then alcohol cleaning. I took it pretty far down, pulling the base and main gasket completely off. It did have some crusty but light oxide on the contacts and springs both in the battery box and just inside the housing due to it being stored vertically while the batteries leaked for who knows how long. It didn't look all that bad really and it all cleaned up nicely with some easy abrasion with qtips and polishing compound. But to no avail, it's toast. After doing surgery on it I was really wanting it to work. Bummer, I had another spot for this thing but I'll grab a ACRO or something.

I was quite impressed with the build quality and just how robust the thing was.

Receiver is now at a little over 24 hours soaking submerged in the acetone can. I'll see if I can detach the mount tomorrow evening. I peeked this evening half hoping that the mount would have fallen off. Nope...

EoTech continued to make N battery models for several years - well into the 2000s. The might have some parts that could work.

Spartan1980
10-09-2022, 08:03 PM
Made some progress today. Clamped the epoxied rail in a vise and yanked on the barrel. Came right off. Not sure the acetone soak did much as the part that was stuck on the receiver was hard as stone. Got that off with a brass brush which took more than enough effort to take the bluing off too. Bummer. I'll put several coats of Oxpho-Blue on it and if it looks too obvious I'll mask off the barrel and paint the receiver too. I'm pretty sure if he'd have ever fired a couple of rounds full power buck or slugs through this gun the optic would have punched him in the head. It's a pretty heavy optic in a heavy recoiling gage would create a bit of inertia.

Was going to just do the wood in khaki or dark olive but it looked like shit in a single color (tried both), so I ended up doing this. It's not a $1200 LTT 1301 so it'll do.

breakingtime91
10-09-2022, 08:06 PM
Made some progress today. Clamped the epoxied rail in a vise and yanked on the barrel. Came right off. Not sure the acetone soak did much as the part that was stuck on the receiver was hard as stone. Got that off with a brass brush which took more than enough effort to take the bluing off too. Bummer. I'll put several coats of Oxpho-Blue on it and if it looks too obvious I'll mask off the barrel and paint the receiver too. I'm pretty sure if he'd have ever fired a couple of rounds full power buck or slugs through this gun the optic would have punched him in the head. It's a pretty heavy optic in a heavy recoiling gage would create a bit of inertia.

Was going to just do the wood in khaki or dark olive but it looked like shit in a single color (tried both), so I ended up doing this. It's not a $1200 LTT 1301 so it'll do.

looks fantastic. well done

BWT
10-10-2022, 03:38 PM
Wow. Just, wow.

My Father has some guns… that he couldn’t help himself but do some modifications. Honestly for no good reason IMHO.

That’s alright I love him and it’s alright. I just grimace at some of the things he’s done. Scratched the fool out of many firearms as well…

Hambo
10-10-2022, 04:46 PM
I loved those Holosights. The mil version had a metal shell that wrapped around it.

Spartan1980, now I have to ask WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO STEVE MCQUEEN'S SHOTGUN?!

You painted the fucking stock? Fuck me, I can't believe it. Gun Jesus is weeping right now...

Spartan1980
10-10-2022, 08:35 PM
I loved those Holosights. The mil version had a metal shell that wrapped around it.

Spartan1980, now I have to ask WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO STEVE MCQUEEN'S SHOTGUN?!

You painted the fucking stock? Fuck me, I can't believe it. Gun Jesus is weeping right now...

LMAO! But go back and look at the first pic in post #2.

When I got all that bullshit off of there, the aftermath was just more than I could bear. Wood filler and paint. Yes, it's embarrassing but we have to have some standards! :cool:

OlongJohnson
10-10-2022, 09:02 PM
The right way would be to make actual wood plugs for all the holes and blend them, then refinish it all as wood.

But WTH, this isn't the CZ section of RFC.

Spartan1980
10-10-2022, 10:24 PM
The right way would be to make actual wood plugs for all the holes and blend them, then refinish it all as wood.

But WTH, this isn't the CZ section of RFC.

That's still an option, but it didn't fit my time schedule for a class.

Hambo
10-11-2022, 08:24 AM
LMAO! But go back and look at the first pic in post #2.

When I got all that bullshit off of there

I'm just jealous that I don't have a decent shotgun to take out an old Plymouth Fury. ;)

Spartan1980
10-14-2022, 02:32 PM
It'll do for now...

Spartan1980
10-14-2022, 06:20 PM
Better pics. I'm no photographer.

Lex Luthier
10-20-2022, 08:31 PM
Better pics. I'm no photographer.

And yet, it looks just fine.

Did you take the class already? If so, how'd the old Shotty acquit itself?

Spartan1980
10-25-2022, 04:40 PM
And yet, it looks just fine.

Did you take the class already? If so, how'd the old Shotty acquit itself?

No I had to miss it. It's local and he does them somewhat frequently. I'll be in the next one though.

I hope that this one doesn't have to come out of the case. I plan on taking it as a backup in case my Browning shits the bed, I don't expect that it will, but I'll still be able to participate if it does.