PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to make a weapon safe....

BaiHu
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/Pistol%20Forum/ConfusedCat_zps4b3e4033.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/police-flight-attendants-gun-fired-at-philly-airport-as-officer-was-trying-to-remove-bullets/2012/09/24/4336abf4-064c-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html

"Philadelphia police Lt. Ray Evers says Transportation Security Administration officers noticed the gun Sunday and alerted police. Evers says a police officer tried to make the weapon safe by removing the bullets, but instead accidentally fired it. No one was hurt."

TCinVA
09-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Well, technically shooting the weapon does actually remove the bullets.

orionz06
09-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Anyone watch Scrubs? I have a mind like JD at times, I have all sorts of scenarios play out in my head and chuckle. The one I always think of is going to the safe unloading zones with the bullet traps and mag dumping the gun til empty. Clearly unsafe and something I am not suggesting but I still laugh my ass off inside.

NickA
09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Anyone watch Scrubs? I have a mind like JD at times, I have all sorts of scenarios play out in my head and chuckle. The one I always think of is going to the safe unloading zones with the bullet traps and mag dumping the gun til empty. Clearly unsafe and something I am not suggesting but I still laugh my ass off inside.

Somebody here (Todd?) had a story of a guy doing exactly that. Class was instructed to go the berm and empty their gun, so that's exactly what he did. I believe the instructions were revised for future classes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

John Ralston
09-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Somebody here (Todd?) had a story of a guy doing exactly that. Class was instructed to go the berm and empty their gun, so that's exactly what he did. I believe the instructions were revised for future classes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

That did make me laugh...probably scare the shit out of you if you were there, but reading it on the couch this AM, it was funny.

Al T.
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
No surprise there. With as few wheelguns in use these days, not surprising that the cop didn't know how to clear it. Pulling the trigger was not too optimum though.

Buddy of mine (and Tamara) had a trooper get thoroughly confused trying to clear a Beretta tip-barrel during a traffic stop years ago.

Corlissimo
09-24-2012, 12:37 PM
"...the officer who accidentally discharged the gun will go back to training on handling weapons."

Hmmm... Ya think? At least he wasn't looking down the barrel. :p

MD7305
09-24-2012, 09:15 PM
A legendary story at our regional police academy involved a cadet who was pulled off the firing line for a safety violation. He was accompanied by an instructor off the line to a berm behind and perpendicular to the firing line to administratively unload his weapon. When the instructor said "unload facing the berm and make your weapon safe" the cadet drew his Glock 20 and fired as fast as possible into the berm until slide lock. Needless to say he didn't make it.