PDA

View Full Version : PF Hurricane Thread 2022

Caballoflaco
09-26-2022, 09:31 AM
Unfortunately it looks like it’s that time again with Ian forecast to track along the west coast of the Florida peninsula though were too far out for a good prediction on where it will make land fall. Hopefully our affected folks can batten down the hatches and ride this out without too much drama.

Edited because I got my east and west confused.

Andy T
09-26-2022, 10:35 AM
This is going to be my first hurricane in SW FL. Any insights/suggestions from "old-timers? How much fuel for my generator should I store ahead ?

HeavyDuty
09-26-2022, 11:48 AM
I’m a little concerned - my best friend lives two blocks from the shore of Tampa Bay in Gulfport, and works almost on the beach on Anna Maria Island with one of those jobs that she must be there (USPS.) Plus she’s having surgery Tuesday.

Jim Watson
09-26-2022, 10:10 PM
A friend's son is in CENTCOM, lives a mile from McDill AFB gate. First round evac.
Another friend, actually that friend's sister, lives in St Leo, inland north of Tampa.

Tensaw
09-27-2022, 06:21 AM
This is going to be my first hurricane in SW FL. Any insights/suggestions from "old-timers? How much fuel for my generator should I store ahead ?

Well, gas lines just plain suck. And if Ian comes to visit, gas won't be getting cheaper any time soon. Get plenty. Top off vehicles and then try to get enough gas to carry you through several days of generating. You can dump any left over into vehicles and what not. The gas thing will generally settle down several days after the storm, but electricity *could* be out longer than that. (Power coming back is a wild card. It could work out that you have power at some point, and the people across the street do not. You never know. But if Ian rakes the state of FL, that will be a lot of lines down. It might be a minute.)

Also, you don't have to run the penny continuously. Cycle it off and on to cool down the fridge and house/room; and then give it a break for a while 45 - 60 minutes at a go might be about right. Folk generally run them thru the night so as to sleep in the AC. (You have a window unit, right?)

Good luck.

Wake27
09-27-2022, 06:27 AM
I’m a ways up the coast but this will be the first one I’ve ever really had to deal with. We’re still getting settled from the move too so I’m not nearly as stocked on the usual things that I would be. We’re also supposed to be in the field on Saturday which would be interesting.

My in laws are driving down to their new beach house in OBX today, which I really don’t understand. I don’t think NC will get hammered based on the predicated path of Ian but that house is literally across the street from the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caballoflaco
09-27-2022, 06:39 AM
Current track has trended east.

Inkwell 41
09-27-2022, 10:43 AM
Current track has trended east.

Hating the current track. Keeps getting closer to home. It’s going to be a suck fest for a few days.

Caballoflaco
09-27-2022, 11:08 AM
Hating the current track. Keeps getting closer to home. It’s going to be a suck fest for a few days.

Good luck with everything. I’m afraid that Tampa and St. Pete are going to get hammered by this thing.

I’m not trying to freak folks out and don’t even live down there. But, we learned about how displacement of people from large urban areas can cause problems for small communities that they aren’t used to handling during Katrina in my recent memory and Andrew from people I’ve talked to who went through that.

The current cultural zeitgeist has me a bit more worried about what kinds of looting and civil unrest compared to a decade ago that we might see, but I’ll leave it at that so this doesn’t get punted to politics.

psalms144.1
09-27-2022, 11:31 AM
I've never lived through a hurricane in FL, but my wife weathered Andrew with her family in southern Miami. The only reason they lived is they abandoned their house after the windows got sucked out - about an hour later a tornado smashed a good chunk of it flat.

On the question of how much gasoline to stock - get all you can. After Sandy in NY, we had WEEKS of gas lines. Drinking water is the other thing you can never have enough of. Post Andrew the tap water was non-potable for weeks and weeks due to contamination.

Praying hard for all you guys in the track of this one. Stay safe and let us know if there's anything we "inlanders" can do...

HeavyDuty
09-27-2022, 02:31 PM
I’m a little concerned - my best friend lives two blocks from the shore of Tampa Bay in Gulfport, and works almost on the beach on Anna Maria Island with one of those jobs that she must be there (USPS.) Plus she’s having surgery Tuesday.

Surgery was cancelled, her PO closed. She’s evacing to her NC cabin.

rob_s
09-27-2022, 02:42 PM
well the trend on these tracks has this thing coming further and further south. We have refugees that came over to our house from St Pete to our place in Jupiter but if this thing keeps turning this way we'll all be getting some excitement.

Big decision right now is whether we go get MIL from in town, with her little dog and ours that's staying with her, and what our house is gonna look like for the next 2-3 days with her, the small dogs, the houseguests, their two big dogs, our kids...

I better stop on the way home and pick up more rum.

I imagine i'm also going to want to spend the evening cleaning up the workshop to make room for (at a minimum) our campervan and possibly other various yard detritus like sofas and the like depending on what the AM looks like.

Inkwell 41
09-27-2022, 02:49 PM
Pro tip… clumping cat litter, stuffed into socks, make an effective sand bag. In case of emergency.

Stephanie B
09-27-2022, 07:24 PM
I've never lived through a hurricane in FL, but my wife weathered Andrew with her family in southern Miami. The only reason they lived is they abandoned their house after the windows got sucked out - about an hour later a tornado smashed a good chunk of it flat.

On the question of how much gasoline to stock - get all you can. After Sandy in NY, we had WEEKS of gas lines. Drinking water is the other thing you can never have enough of. Post Andrew the tap water was non-potable for weeks and weeks due to contamination.

Praying hard for all you guys in the track of this one. Stay safe and let us know if there's anything we "inlanders" can do...

I once knew a woman who was on a Red Cross disaster relief team. Tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, she would go and help out. She had a job that was very supportive of her volunteering efforts. They may have even given her partial pay during her absences. Anyway, she went down to Florida for the recovery from Hurricane Andrew. I believe she spent nearly a month down there. When she came back, she quit the Red Cross. She later told me that if she had had a gun at a time, she probably would’ve killed people. And that’s about all that she would say about it. I gathered that things got pretty gnarly.

So be careful, people. Sometimes, disasters can bring out the worst there is.

Stephanie B
09-27-2022, 07:26 PM
One tip: make sure that the diverters for the downspouts are in place. That may be less important if your house is on a slab than if there is a basement.

If you have a sump pump and a generator, make sure that the sump pump is on the generator’s circuit.

Caballoflaco
09-27-2022, 07:35 PM
One tip: make sure that the diverters for the downspouts are in place. That may be less important if your house is on a slab than if there is a basement.

If you have a sump pump and a generator, make sure that the sump pump is on the generator’s circuit.

*the more you know* In general Florida homes don’t really have basements. Offered up in a joking manner for our Yankee friends.

https://www.rjbuildersflorida.com/blog/why-dont-homes-in-florida-have-basements-like-they-do-up-north.html

Florida has a large aquifer system that spans around 100,000 square miles and provides water for many large cities. The groundwater's very close to the surface in most parts of Florida and Southern Georgia. Because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig out for a basement.

Stephanie B
09-27-2022, 07:51 PM
*the more you know* In general Florida homes don’t really have basements. Offered up in a joking manner for our Yankee friends.

https://www.rjbuildersflorida.com/blog/why-dont-homes-in-florida-have-basements-like-they-do-up-north.html

Ah. That’ll go into my brain-trivia files.

So, if the air become uraneous…?

rob_s
09-27-2022, 08:23 PM
Had a call with a software vendor today. They asked how we were doing. I told them “I’m a damn near 48-year-old Florida native, this hasn’t even registered on my radar“.

Jim Watson
09-27-2022, 09:04 PM
A previous hurricane season, I saw a post about a Floridian who built for strength, not style.
A steel structure on pilings, like old coastal houses only moreso. Close the steel shutters and sit it out as long as food, water and generator fuel lasted.

Acquaintance made it from Tampa to St Leo inland with Aunt and Uncle.
Accompanied

Inkwell 41
09-27-2022, 09:41 PM
Wind is picking up and rain bands are rolling through now. Spicy night and day ahead of us.

Caballoflaco
09-27-2022, 10:04 PM
Wind is picking up and rain bands are rolling through now. Spicy night and day ahead of us.

Good Luck dude.

Is the more southernly track tonight making things sportier for y’all?

rob_s
09-27-2022, 10:11 PM
One mns trash is another man’s treasure.

Inkwell 41
09-27-2022, 10:29 PM
Good Luck dude.

Is the more southernly track tonight making things sportier for y’all?

Thank you. Yeah, we’re in the current forecast area for landfall. It is what it is.

Rex G
09-28-2022, 06:19 AM
Prayers for everyone in the path of this one.

RoyGBiv
09-28-2022, 07:27 AM
I once knew a woman who was on a Red Cross disaster relief team. Tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, she would go and help out. She had a job that was very supportive of her volunteering efforts. They may have even given her partial pay during her absences. Anyway, she went down to Florida for the recovery from Hurricane Andrew. I believe she spent nearly a month down there. When she came back, she quit the Red Cross. She later told me that if she had had a gun at a time, she probably would’ve killed people. And that’s about all that she would say about it. I gathered that things got pretty gnarly.

So be careful, people. Sometimes, disasters can bring out the worst there is.

I put in some volunteer time at local shelters after Harvey in 2017. You would hope that stealing from or raping your fellow evacuees would be unthinkable. Apparently not. Imagine having lost your home and almost all your possessions, being bussed with your small child 5 hours from home with nothing more than what was in your backpack, sleeping on cots in a HS gymnasium and waking up to find your wallet and phone gone. Having no way to be contacted (by family, friends or FEMA) .... and who remembers anyone's phone number to call your people from a landline? People can be real scum.

Add to your to-do list... Back up your contacts list to the cloud and have a way to access it from a generic computer or a strangers phone.

HeavyDuty
09-28-2022, 08:54 AM
I put in some volunteer time at local shelters after Harvey in 2017. You would hope that stealing from or raping your fellow evacuees would be unthinkable. Apparently not. Imagine having lost your home and almost all your possessions, being bussed with your small child 5 hours from home with nothing more than what was in your backpack, sleeping on cots in a HS gymnasium and waking up to find your wallet and phone gone. Having no way to be contacted (by family, friends or FEMA) .... and who remembers anyone's phone number to call your people from a landline? People can be real scum.

Add to your to-do list... Back up your contacts list to the cloud and have a way to access it from a generic computer or a strangers phone.

One of my hats at County was shelter management. This was something we spent a lot of time trying to handle - shelter safety is a huge issue.

RoyGBiv
09-28-2022, 09:03 AM
One of my hats at County was shelter management. This was something we spent a lot of time trying to handle - shelter safety is a huge issue.

Solution: 4 horses and 4 ropes.

Hambo
09-28-2022, 09:05 AM

I'll add mine. This screenshot says it all: 155mph for several hours while barely moving north.

Stephanie B
09-28-2022, 09:09 AM
Solution: 4 horses and 4 ropes.

An axe and a single pike might be enough.

https://youtu.be/47DfQcHMYLY

Chuck Whitlock
09-28-2022, 09:18 AM
An axe and a single pike might be enough.

https://youtu.be/47DfQcHMYLY

One of my favorites.

Dov
09-28-2022, 09:45 AM
Couple of Youtube resources

Ryan Hall Y'all meteorologist and storm chaser company live stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as5ktgoPLJc

Main YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/RyanHallYall/videos

He's connected to over 3 separate chasers while he and 2 others operate the main YouTube stream.

WFLA Channel 8 Tampa Bay area livestream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeRvFHka2vA

WFLA main YouTube https://www.youtube.com/wfla

Caballoflaco
09-28-2022, 10:00 AM
That’s good sized piece of land that’s predicted to be under 9 feet of water.

Images from experimental NHC storm surge forecast here:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/095758.shtml?inundation#contents

blues
09-28-2022, 10:23 AM
Thoughts going out to all in harm's way.

Cheap Shot
09-28-2022, 10:43 AM

Thoughts going out to all in harm's way.

What Rex & blues said.

This one's hitting to close to home (figuratively speaking, I'm not in Fla or I'd assist) for me. Close friends in SW Florida located in an area with mandatory evacuation. They cant because husband is bed ridden. Currently all power and utilities shut off by municipality indefinitely.

Trigger
09-28-2022, 11:56 AM
Lots of resources all in one place:

https://spaghettimodels.com

Andy T
09-29-2022, 08:10 AM
Made it through the night. The only "impact" is power went out yesterday around 6pm with no ETA on restoration.
My location did see pretty strong gusts and rain, but there doesn't appear to be any damage to the house. We had fabric "hurricane shutters" that proved next to useless, especially since the contractor didn't install their anchors correctly.

Thankfully my generator is up. Since I have a well/septic, as long as I have power things are OK.

pointfiveoh
09-29-2022, 04:24 PM
Made it through the night. The only "impact" is power went out yesterday around 6pm with no ETA on restoration.
My location did see pretty strong gusts and rain, but there doesn't appear to be any damage to the house. We had fabric "hurricane shutters" that proved next to useless, especially since the contractor didn't install their anchors correctly.

Thankfully my generator is up. Since I have a well/septic, as long as I have power things are OK.What kind of starting power do you need to juice up the well pump?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Andy T
09-29-2022, 04:27 PM
This is the generator I am using. (https://a-ipower.com/products/sua10000ec-10000-watt-portable-generator) Don't know the exact specific power reqs for the well pump. It may also depend on the pump you have.

What kind of starting power do you need to juice up the well pump?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
09-29-2022, 04:48 PM
Looks like a fair bit of the Sanibel Island causeway got washed away, including a good few sections of bridge.

CWM11B
09-30-2022, 09:53 PM
Well, down to tropical storm status, but we've been gusting to 30+ mph in NW Central NC. Fair number of trees down in my neighborhood. Been on generator power since about 1800. Looks to be past us around 0400.

Joe in PNG
09-30-2022, 10:21 PM
NOAA has a viewable map of the damage here (https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#17/26.45306/-82.01683).

Wow, just wow.

blues
10-01-2022, 09:31 AM
Well, down to tropical storm status, but we've been gusting to 30+ mph in NW Central NC. Fair number of trees down in my neighborhood. Been on generator power since about 1800. Looks to be past us around 0400.

Good luck, W. It was a non-event for us. A bit of rain and 15 mph winds. We were really fortunate to not have any ill effects here in this part of the mountains.

t1tan
10-02-2022, 02:04 PM
I worked the whole storm in the north Orlando area, our shift got called in 16 hours early before winds got too intense(normally 0800-0800) to run a second engine and rescue out of the station. Didn’t really have anything going on until about 3am when we all woke up to dispatch and the crew on the call ran into a foot of water in the bay that quickly overtook the rest of the station. Literally had catfish swimming around the trucks. Had to park our engine on high ground at a hospital across the street and trek thigh high water to and from every call. Eventually the water started to recede and most the calls through the day were alarm systems going off from power failure. Seems most of my area has power back with a few outliers today. Station is filled with dehumidifiers and fans running with baseboards and such pulled back. So far it seems most people are happy it flooded to further justify the new station we’re supposed to get soon.

Andy T
10-02-2022, 03:13 PM
Power is back! Took about 4 days from the time it went out until restoration. On average I was using about 9-10 gallons / 24 hours. This was for fridge, computer/monitor, occasional TV and 2 portable ACs. I was also using microwave/electric cooktop.

I also found having a Kill-a-Watt invaluable. My generator would change power frequency, causing my UPS to stop recognizing the power, as the load changed. I had to adjust the governor screw a number of times to get closer to 60HZ for power output.

Inkwell 41
10-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Well, that wasn’t fun. Just now able to access internet from my phone. Comms were “spotty” at best until today. We have water pressure but authorities are recommending that any water for consumption be boiled. No power yet. Estimate of 8 Oct for the lights to come back on. House has some minor facia/soffit damage. New impact windows went in back in July. One of them narrowly avoided testing its capability. Our mango tree had 5 huge branches ripped off with one landing against a window another nearly skewering my daughter’s Camry. There was some water intrusion around these new windows that was disturbing. The company is going to get a call tomorrow about it. My wife has ups and downs. Considering what we just went through, she gets to be rattled.

Several hospitals in the area were evacuated post storm due to lack of water pressure. Fort Myers Beach kinda doesn’t exist anymore. Sanibel and Captiva are unrecognizable. The causeway to SanCap washed out in places and part of the bridge span is gone.

Yesterday, we heard that I75, US41 and US17 were closed due to flooding. That really took the wind out of our sails as those are the primary truck routes to SWFL. I understand that 75 and 41 are back in service.

Let’s NOT do this again , okay?

Joe in PNG
10-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Sanibel and Captiva are unrecognizable. The causeway to SanCap washed out in places and part of the bridge span is gone.

The Sanibel lighthouse, before and after:

Inkwell 41
10-03-2022, 08:31 AM

I had not seen that. Several coworkers lost their homes. I am grateful to have an intact home and, above all, my family is safe. It’ll be a long road back to pre storm SWFL. Not sure the area will ever fully recover.

rob_s
10-03-2022, 10:23 AM
Not sure the area will ever fully recover.

this is an interesting topic to me.

Arguably New Orleans (Katrina) still hasn't, but Miami (Andrew) has and then some.

The politicization of the storm has gotten one thing right, and that is that there is a fair amount of money in the areas hardest hit and (if our business of building apartments & condos is any indication) was poised for an even greater influx. I suppose that, on that note, whether or not the population influx of "affluent" people continues depends to some degree on how the businesses recover.

I saw an interview with the mayor of Ft Meyers, and he got at least one thing right, and that is that the immediate focus needs to be on fixing roads, bridges and other infrastructure. No point replacing a mobile home you can't get to, doesn't have power, and can't flush the shitter.

HeavyDuty
10-03-2022, 11:33 AM
I have to wonder if we will see a serious uptick in wind resistant building in the municipalities.

rob_s
10-03-2022, 12:07 PM
I have to wonder if we will see a serious uptick in wind resistant building in the municipalities.

Hurricane Andrew resulted in a mass overhaul of the Florida Building Code, and the areas affected by Ian would be covered by the Wind-Borne Debris Region portions of that update.

What many people don't realized is that the various pictures we see of horrific loss are of structures not covered by current code. Or even the previous, or the previous previous.

Yes, Charley followed basically this same path, but it was much less devastating for a variety of reasons.

Something that's also not perhaps immediately clear in this situation is the impacts of flooding vs wind. There is certainly wind damage, but a lot of what we are hearing about is flood damage. I heard one case where a homeowner built above the 100 year flood plain (15 ft up, in their case, IIRC) and they STILL wound up with 24 in of standing water in their home. Sadly, many people are going to get super-hosed because they don't carry flood insurance because their mortgage company doesn't require it, because they aren't in a flood zone. and double-sadly, if you're not in a flood zone flood insurance is stupid cheap.

Other than making everyone build on stilts, and making them include frangible walls, there's not much code change to make re: flooding.

HeavyDuty
10-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Hurricane Andrew resulted in a mass overhaul of the Florida Building Code, and the areas affected by Ian would be covered by the Wind-Borne Debris Region portions of that update.

What many people don't realized is that the various pictures we see of horrific loss are of structures not covered by current code. Or even the previous, or the previous previous.

Yes, Charley followed basically this same path, but it was much less devastating for a variety of reasons.

Something that's also not perhaps immediately clear in this situation is the impacts of flooding vs wind. There is certainly wind damage, but a lot of what we are hearing about is flood damage. I heard one case where a homeowner built above the 100 year flood plain (15 ft up, in their case, IIRC) and they STILL wound up with 24 in of standing water in their home. Sadly, many people are going to get super-hosed because they don't carry flood insurance because their mortgage company doesn't require it, because they aren't in a flood zone. and double-sadly, if you're not in a flood zone flood insurance is stupid cheap.

Other than making everyone build on stilts, and making them include frangible walls, there's not much code change to make re: flooding.

I never did more than tangential property underwriting in Florida (most of it was liability doing titty bars,) this is good information for me. Thank you!

ccmdfd
10-03-2022, 01:15 PM

Damn!

I've got some pictures of my wife and myself at that very spot a few years ago.

Joe in PNG
10-03-2022, 03:09 PM
I had not seen that. Several coworkers lost their homes. I am grateful to have an intact home and, above all, my family is safe. It’ll be a long road back to pre storm SWFL. Not sure the area will ever fully recover.

One of my cousins lives in the Fort Myers area, and works for a construction company. Happily, his house survived, and he'll be pretty busy.

My family has been vacationing very near the Lighthouse for over 40 years. According to my cousin, the condo has been gutted.

Inkwell 41
10-03-2022, 03:29 PM
One of my cousins lives in the Fort Myers area, and works for a construction company. Happily, his house survived, and he'll be pretty busy.

My family has been vacationing very near the Lighthouse for over 40 years. According to my cousin, the condo has been gutted.

I am very sorry to hear that. It seems like Sanibel, Captiva, FMB and Pine Island all face a lot of rebuilding. I hope that the little guys that were in generational homes will be able to recover or rebuild.

rob_s
10-04-2022, 05:07 AM
On the subject of building codes, etc. stole this from a post on LinkedIn where a professor claims to have looked up year of construction for these properties. I’d be inclined to believe him, as a nearly-48 Florida native with half that time in the construction industry myself.

rob_s
10-04-2022, 05:28 AM
I hope that the little guys that were in generational homes will be able to recover or rebuild.

It’s very likely that they won’t.

However, once infrastructure is restored, they will likely make a fortune on the land. And, tbh, most of these older homes like shown in the picture above were only worth the land value two weeks ago, and the house would have been bulldozed by a buyer to make way for something newer/stronger anyway.

It’s pretty amazing in these various coastal towns how many older homes, passed down for a generation or two, are occupied by folks of pretty limited means that stay for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the house is paid off, they aren’t carrying insurance, and all they have to do is figure out how to afford the homestead-exempted property tax bill.

Which also means they aren’t re-building, and they’ll have to sell the property just to pay for a new mobile home further inland.

0ddl0t
10-04-2022, 05:44 AM
On the subject of building codes, etc. stole this from a post on LinkedIn where a professor claims to have looked up year of construction for these properties. I’d be inclined to believe him, as a nearly-48 Florida native with half that time in the construction industry myself.

I looked up a few and the build dates match zillow. That blue survivor across from the 2020 house was built in 1976: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/100-Bay-Mar-Dr-Fort-Myers-Beach-FL-33931/2106423161_zpid/

rob_s
10-04-2022, 05:49 AM
I looked up a few and the build dates match zillow. That blue survivor across from the 2020 house was built in 1976: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/100-Bay-Mar-Dr-Fort-Myers-Beach-FL-33931/2106423161_zpid/

He should probably buy a bottle of wine for the 2020 house owner as they probably shielded him. :p

The thing that people forget with code is that it’s a MINIMUM standard. And even then it’s not a guarantee. I bet if we continued up the coast we could find 2020 houses that blew down next to 1934 houses that stood. Sometimes it’s still just luck.

The outlier kind of proves the point, in fact.

ETA:
more fun with Zillow… the house next to the blue one, the empty lot now, was built in ‘73.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/104-Bay-Mar-Dr-Fort-Myers-Beach-FL-33931/45521808_zpid/

I’d love to know if the blue one, and the one on the other side of the one I linked to, were wood frame or block.

ETA2:
it looks like the blue one is on stilts? As is the one on the other side of my link?

rob_s
10-04-2022, 06:04 AM
more internet fun….

So yes, on stilts. Also new roof, another renovation (perhaps the duplex conversion, which would have come with some code improvements), and storm shutters.
https://www.leepa.org/Display/DisplayParcel.aspx?FolioID=10229654#PermitDetails

The one next to it, now gone, enclosed ground floor, new roof, but no window protection
https://www.leepa.org/Display/DisplayParcel.aspx?FolioID=10229659&PermitDetails=True#PermitDetails

The one on the other side of that, still standing, massive renovation, new roof, new windows and doors…
https://www.leepa.org/Display/DisplayParcel.aspx?FolioID=10229678&PermitDetails=True#PermitDetails

rob_s
10-06-2022, 06:02 AM
https://youtu.be/ioKblu2f5Xg

rob_s
10-10-2022, 05:02 AM
https://youtu.be/dRkgVE9lyhM

Joe in PNG
10-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Some good news: Sanibel Causeway reopens for truck convoy; open to civilians on Oct. 21 (https://www.winknews.com/2022/10/11/gov-desantis-to-provide-update-from-punta-rassa/)

A convoy of trucks crossed the Sanibel Causeway on Tuesday afternoon as Gov. Ron DeSantis announced the causeway would be open for that traffic.
DeSantis said the causeway will be open for civilian use on Oct. 21.

The trucks began to travel across the causeway ahead of schedule, DeSantis said, adding that it was supposed to open by 3 p.m.
“Once the convoy goes across they have to continue some of the repairs,” DeSantis said. “It is not going to be ready to have full-time civilian traffic.”

rob_s
11-07-2022, 10:52 AM
Getting home from NOLA to SE FL on Thursday night looks like it may not happen. Doesn't look like leaving on Wednesday or Friday are going to help me much either.

TS Nicole (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145816.shtml?cone#contents)

RoyGBiv
11-07-2022, 12:32 PM
Getting home from NOLA to SE FL on Thursday night looks like it may not happen. Doesn't look like leaving on Wednesday or Friday are going to help me much either.

TS Nicole (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145816.shtml?cone#contents)

You should be fine on Friday, if you can find a flight....
The storm should be far enough west to fly around it and land in what is usually great post-hurricane weather after it sucks out all the clouds and humidity.

HeavyDuty
11-07-2022, 12:34 PM
What is that likely to mean for Tampa - wet and wind, but nothing severe?

rob_s
11-07-2022, 02:04 PM
You should be fine on Friday, if you can find a flight....
The storm should be far enough west to fly around it and land in what is usually great post-hurricane weather after it sucks out all the clouds and humidity.

I'm kind of assuming that little dogleg isn't really going to happen, and it's going to be headed to NOLA , or we'll at least be feeling the effects, on Friday.

Joe in PNG
11-09-2022, 10:53 PM
I've mentioned my family's fondness for and regular visitations to Sanibel Island.

Wanna guess where our other Florida favorite vacation location is? Yep- Dayton Beach in the Port Orange area. And they're getting washed pretty badly on the ocean side.

EMC
11-09-2022, 11:17 PM
I'm stuck in Orlando at a tech conference and my Orlando Friday flight out of course got cancelled. Fortunately a coworker is heading down to West Palm Beach area to visit Family and my airline allowed me to book a late Friday night flight out of that airport instead. Hoping it's back operating by that point.

rob_s
11-10-2022, 04:54 AM
I'm stuck in Orlando at a tech conference and my Orlando Friday flight out of course got cancelled. Fortunately a coworker is heading down to West Palm Beach area to visit Family and my airline allowed me to book a late Friday night flight out of that airport instead. Hoping it's back operating by that point.

I can’t imagine PBI not being open by Friday.