PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Peruse PISTOL-FORUM

DDTSGM
09-25-2022, 11:53 AM
I was curious about how others looked at the forum.

I had gotten into the habit of looking only at areas and subjects that interested me. For instance, in the Software portion of the forum I almost never looked at unarmed combatives, competition skills and discussion or drills, tests and practice.

Then one day I was in a hurry and used the new posts feature. Since then, that;s pretty much been the way I do it since it allows me to see threads I normally wouldn't see, such as the Ben Stoeger USPSA saga.

If I prove to be smart enough to post a poll, I'd like to see how others navigate the forum.

Thanks.

Spartan1980
09-25-2022, 11:57 AM
I use the new posts feature almost exclusively and only go into the forums themselves if I'm looking for something specific. So pretty much same as you.

blues
09-25-2022, 11:58 AM
Same...

https://pistol-forum.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post

LOKNLOD
09-25-2022, 12:12 PM
I use the new posts feature almost exclusively and only go into the forums themselves if I'm looking for something specific. So pretty much same as you.

Yep.

GearFondler
09-25-2022, 12:19 PM
I use the Time Line section on Tapatalk but it's basically the same as New Posts.

Guerrero
09-25-2022, 12:50 PM
"New posts" is civilization.

BehindBlueI's
09-25-2022, 01:02 PM
Mostly "new posts" unless I'm trying to find a specific thing.

wrmettler
09-25-2022, 01:26 PM
I do “Top to Bottom / Beginning To End”. I enjoy generally reading all the forums/threads, but I’ve discovered that threads morph quickly into the most interesting conversations. Members knowledge is impressive, and sometimes this shows as a thread’s discussions unfold. So I can’t trust the thread’s listed topic.

And the mods are shit here. Gotta vote for that.

Cory
09-25-2022, 03:38 PM
New posts, and specific areas. If I like a thread and don't see it for a bit, or want to check a thread I go to that area and look for it.

Plus I use search.

MickAK
09-25-2022, 05:57 PM
Scroll through and see if I can help anyone like people helped me when I was learning. If it looks like I can, wait a bit and see if someone posts a better version of what I was going to post which happens 99/100 times or so.

Go to GD and fume/giggle/learn about bidets to break up the monotony of dryfire/drills. Seems to be more productive than eagerly following technical developments.

Once a month or so take a detailed look at the technical sections and backtrack innovators through their early adoptions and changes to see if there's anything worth adopting.

HeavyDuty
09-25-2022, 06:25 PM
In a G string and silk robe, in a leather chair, smoking a cigar.

Wait - isn’t that what you were asking?

JAD
09-25-2022, 08:56 PM
I use new posts, but if I feel like I need to contribute, I stop and read or rescan the thread from beginning to end.

DDTSGM
09-25-2022, 09:05 PM
I use new posts, but if I feel like I need to contribute, I stop and read or rescan the thread from beginning to end.

I need to do that more often - save me from deleting posts after I post a reply and then read through the thread.

Stone
09-25-2022, 10:17 PM
New/todays posts. Unless im doing a search on a specific topic.

Doc_Glock
09-26-2022, 09:18 AM
I use Today's posts since Tom Jones set it up kind of at my request. But for the life of me I can't remember what the difference is between New Posts and Today's posts. There is a difference. I think I was missing posts using the New Posts feature for some reason.

Okay I was able to find my email exchange with Tom Jones here is what he said:

"For each thread you read, the software keeps track of the timestamp for the last post on whatever page you've visited. When you click New Posts or What's New? (which do exactly the same thing) the software lists threads that have posts with newer timestamps.

It important to understand that New Posts and What's New? only show threads that have "unread" content (in quotes, because it doesn't know which posts you've actually read, and assumes you've read all the posts on a page when you view it). If you want a list of threads that includes the ones you've already read, you want to use the Today's Posts option on the Quick Links menu."

So for me: I use "Today's Posts" because it is more inclusive and I don't miss threads.

HeavyDuty
09-26-2022, 11:09 AM
I use Today's posts since Tom Jones set it up kind of at my request. But for the life of me I can't remember what the difference is between New Posts and Today's posts. There is a difference. I think I was missing posts using the New Posts feature for some reason.

So for me: I use "Today's Posts" because it is more inclusive and I don't miss threads.

I always assumed “Today’s Threads” was created for blues as a memory aid in case he forgot what he saw. Elder assist…

Welder
09-26-2022, 11:17 AM
I already knew I was uncivilized, but thanks to this thread, I now have confirmation 😃

RoyGBiv
09-26-2022, 11:19 AM

I believe that "New Posts" shows all the threads in which there is a post you have not yet read and "Today's Posts" shows all threads that contain posts made today, regardless of whether you have already read them.

When I'm finished reading "New Posts" I hit "Forum Actions --> Mark Forums Read"...
Next time I hit the New Posts link, the list doesn't include posts I didn't want to read the previous time.

blues
09-26-2022, 11:43 AM
I always assumed “Today’s Threads” was created for blues as a memory aid in case he forgot what he saw. Elder assist…

Remind me to kick your ass if I ever forget...

;)

rd62
09-26-2022, 11:49 AM
I too am a disciple of the "New Posts".

DDTSGM
09-26-2022, 01:52 PM
I already knew I was uncivilized, but thanks to this thread, I now have confirmation 😃

Want a good deal on a silk robe or Swisher Sweet cigars? to help you move up a notch?

Rex G
09-26-2022, 05:52 PM
Mostly, I check the notifications for Likes and Quotes, then browse a few specific sections. There is not enough time, in the day, to browse through everything.

UNK
09-26-2022, 07:29 PM
Wheres the “Im here for the memes” choice? 😁

Robinson
09-27-2022, 09:42 AM
I open up sections I'm interested in such as Semi-Auto Pistols, then use the thread-specific New Posts feature on any specific thread I care about.