PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new wedge. Same or change?

ASH556
09-10-2022, 08:36 AM
I carry a G19 with RMR and XC1 in a JM Wing Claw 2.5. Current stock foam wedge is getting flat. I know the foam wedge works well for me. Get another foam wedge or try something else?

DC_P
09-10-2022, 08:44 AM
I know the foam wedge works well for me.

I think you have answered your own question ;)

LittleLebowski
09-10-2022, 08:55 AM
I carry a G19 with RMR and XC1 in a JM Wing Claw 2.5. Current stock foam wedge is getting flat. I know the foam wedge works well for me. Get another foam wedge or try something else?

I like the MasterMind beanie bag thing. I bought mine, no discount.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop?category=Wedges

helothar
09-10-2022, 11:28 AM

i think the wedge thing is pretty subjective, i've tried the large and small foam wedge from JM Custom Kydex, the original bag thing from mastermind tactics and the teardrop shaped one from dark star. for me, the dark star has been the most comfortable

guymontag
09-10-2022, 02:33 PM
i think the wedge thing is pretty subjective, i've tried the large and small foam wedge from JM Custom Kydex, the original bag thing from mastermind tactics and the teardrop shaped one from dark star. for me, the dark star has been the most comfortable

Yes - subjective. The JM didn’t do anything for me, and the DSG was underwhelming. The regular pillow from Mastermind was pretty much perfect for my body type and carry position.

Awesome avatar by the way helothar.

Larry T
09-10-2022, 03:14 PM
I'm using the Dark Star teardrop usually but for me it's about a tie with the JMCK foam pads.

DiscipulusArmorum
09-10-2022, 10:09 PM
I think Phlster might be coming out with some kind of wedge/foam pad product soon, so could be worth the wait to see what they've come up with since they often have a unique take.

RevolverRob
09-11-2022, 12:45 AM
Mastermind Appendix Carry (Junk) Pillow Adjustable. So you can fill it to your desire. And also pull the filling and wash the housing.

MDFA
09-11-2022, 02:56 AM
Mastermind King size and regular size pillows have been game changers for me over foam wedges.

orionz06
09-11-2022, 07:17 PM
Much of this will depend on what you're asking the pad/wedge to do. If you're using it to push the grip in a ton, you're simply going to compress most any material used. Some foams are better than others, but there's only so much that can be done. Yoga block material is a little more resilient, but it's also far less soft, hence it's ability to last longer.

To this end, we're working on offering some denser foams that are less soft, but will have more resistance, but that's gonna be a CS nightmare without better education.

The best thing we've found so far, but have been limited by manufacturing, has been silicone. It handles the repeated compression better, but we need to resolve some attachment concerns.

the DSG was underwhelming..
In what way?

guymontag
09-11-2022, 08:27 PM
In what way?

BLUF: While it helped to conceal the firearm above the beltline it actually caused the holster to print below the beltline. The pressure that held the grip nicely to the body caused the muzzle end of the holster body to press out from my pelvis a la Curb Your Enthusiasm’s tenting of the pants.

Long Version: The Mastermind gives me concealment above the beltline (maybe only 90% of the DSG), but great comfort and concealment below the beltline as well. 5’9”, Athletic 180#, Waist Size 30”, around 11” on that Phlster Hipbone measurement. I don’t have a lot of real estate forward of the hips and I have thick, longer legs (shorter torso) that interfere with some gear as well. For instance I can’t wear the Phlster Enigma comfortably as it’s too much hardware in my regular clothes - the Mastermind Covert works extremely well for me however, sans outer belt.

I believe you are DSG so I’ll also include that the Dark Wing is likely the best wing I’ve used (vs Raven and Modwing) and I wished I tried it sooner. The foam pad I tried after and it did not work as well.