PDA

View Full Version : P32AT aftermarket rear sight

JCN
09-07-2022, 10:50 PM
From the pocket snub thread I started searching for sighting options for the P32 and came across this:

https://www.psenhancements.com/

I emailed the guy and he promptly responded. They’re still available and still the same price.

Going to order one for my first Gen and see if I can stretch out the distance on them.

JCN
09-12-2022, 08:12 PM
I think it’ll be good!

TheNewbie
09-12-2022, 08:24 PM
Cool! Let us know, because I may want one as well.

parishioner
09-12-2022, 08:45 PM
Here is another option for anyone in the market: https://innovativearms.com/portfolio/sight-upgrade/

Lespepperoni installed them on his p32

Lex Luthier
09-12-2022, 08:49 PM
I will admit that a reliable P32 is one of my guilty desires. This sight mod being viable would make it far more likely for me to pursue one.

Moped
09-12-2022, 09:34 PM
I think these are one of the finest little pocket pistols around. I have/had a Gen 1 one for several years. I picked up used, for $155. It was my constant hiking companion for for several years. Ran several boxes of FMJ through it with no hiccups. It’s now carried by my daughter as her constant companion now.

The sights were always the weak point of the little gun. A set of these would be great! But I suspect they would cost more than the gun!

JCN
09-12-2022, 09:37 PM
I think these are one of the finest little pocket pistols around. I have/had a Gen 1 one for several years. I picked up used, for $155. It was my constant hiking companion for for several years. Ran several boxes of FMJ through it with no hiccups. It’s now carried by my daughter as her constant companion now.

The sights were always the weak point of the little gun. A set of these would be great! But I suspect they would cost more than the gun!

The rear sight I bought was $25…

Totally worth that, I think.

Will see if it flies off with E6000… I had to try it…

BillSWPA
09-12-2022, 09:55 PM
I will admit that a reliable P32 is one of my guilty desires. This sight mod being viable would make it far more likely for me to pursue one.

How to ensure that a P-32 or P3AT is reliable:

The single most important step is replacing the recoil springs with Wolff springs which are 2 lb. heavier than factory standard. You want 11 lb. for a P-32 and 13 lb. for a P3AT.

With the factory 9 lb. springs, a P-32 will function just fine unless it is loaded with 7+1. In this condition, if the rim of the top cartridge happens to be in the groove of the cartridge below it, then the 9 lb. recoil springs will fail to overcome that condition about half the time. 11 lb. springs will overcome it every time. I regard this spring change as absolutely critical for any P-32.

My one example of a P3AT has about 5 failures to feed in 100 rounds with the factory 11 lb. springs, but functioned 100% with 13 lb. springs.

Wolff +10% extra power magazine springs contribute a little bit to good functioning, and I use them, but they are not critical.

Leave in place whatever guide rod came with your gun. If your P-32 came with polymer, stick with polymer. It needs to flex in order to avoid hindering slide movement.

Change recoil springs frequently.

DO NOT perform the 'fluff and buff" recommended on at least one other site. This procedure has taken many in-spec guns out of spec, and will void the warranty.

Load the .32 magazines carefully. Every single case of rimlock (rim of one cartridge behind the rim of the cartridge below it) has occurred during loading of the magazine. Be careful to apply pressure evenly, and as far rearward as possible to avoid separating the rims of the cartridges already in the magazine. As long as the rims remain together, one rim will not slide past the one below it. Once the magazine is loaded, the same rim interaction which makes rimlock such a nasty jam will prevent rimlock from occurring in the first place.

Do not bother with spacers in the magazine to try to prevent rimlock. I have experimented with both homemade spacers and a "rimlock prevention kit" which at one time was sold by Kel-Tec. The result in both cases was numerous cases of premature slide lock.

Regarding sights, the simplest upgrade is here:

https://www.crimsontrace.com/products/laser-sights/laserguard/lg-430-laserguard-for-kel-tec-p3at-and-p32/01-2040.html#prefn1=manufacturerCompatibility&prefv1=Kel-Tec&start=1

The laser is game-changing indoors or in low light outdoors, but is useless in good light outdoors. So, sights such as those discussed in this thread are still of interest.

JCN
09-18-2022, 12:03 PM

I think a great mod for $25.

7 yards

JCN
09-18-2022, 05:20 PM

I think a great mod for $25.

7 yards

Clusterfrack I also mounted it with E6000 lol. Will let you know if it hits me in the face.

Blades
09-18-2022, 06:20 PM
I wonder if it could be made to work for the later generation.

feudist
09-18-2022, 08:15 PM

With enough alcohol and a Dremel, absolutely.

BillSWPA
09-19-2022, 02:48 PM

My P3AT is second generation. The factory sights are more conventional post and notch, although they are tiny. They are useful with good light and with time, but very unlikely to be useful if needed for a serious purpose. The most significant improvement would result from an improved front sight rather tan an improved rear sight.

Tool Tech used to offer sights similar to the link below for the Kel-Tecs as well as for all of the Ruger LCP pistols.

http://tooltechgunsight.com/product/ruger-lc9-lcp-custom/

If I were to get similar work done, I would want to know which readily available replacement sights would fit and would be the right height so that they could easily be replaced once the tritium goes dim.

Sal Picante
09-19-2022, 11:46 PM
I like the sight very much. High viz, clear. POA-POI all the way out to 15 yards. Sure they're the same price as the gun... Worth it.