PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Red Dot Batteries

Paul Blackburn
09-05-2022, 06:42 PM
What batteries brands are you using in your pistol red dots.

Sony, Panasonic, Duracell, Energizer, is there any difference?

G19Fan
09-05-2022, 07:47 PM

I like Duracell. Panasonic or Energizer in a pinch

HCM
09-05-2022, 08:55 PM

IME the best PMO batteries are Renata. They’re a Swiss brand but easily available via Amazon.

2nd choice Duracell.

3rd - Energizer.

IME the difference between these 3 is battery life with Renata providing the longest.

SoCalDep
09-06-2022, 07:20 AM
In my testing Duracell outlasted Energizer, Panasonic, IKEA (as a cheap option comparison) and Renata. All but the Renata showed a significant performance deficiency to where I refuse to use them in RMRs or any optic that has to be removed to replace the battery. The Renatas performed well but the Duracells still lasted longer.

Wayne Dobbs
09-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Duracell...all the time.

Oldherkpilot
09-06-2022, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the tip!

GulfCoast
09-06-2022, 11:19 AM
Duracell Pro's. I got mine from Big Tex Outdoors, IIRC.

BK14
09-06-2022, 01:09 PM
Cowan’s white paper tracks battery failures. Last I checked, Duracell had the lowest failure rate, so all I run is Duracell.

Magsz
09-06-2022, 01:21 PM
I think LED emitter/brand has something to do with this.

I am NOT advocating for their use but I have run energizer 2032's in eleven different holosun optics with zero issues since late 2017. My oldest optic is still on its original battery. I believe that's a 503 variant that is no longer produced. The solar panel is probably keeping this thing running but it works in low light/no light.

I think that the vast majority of people here are going to recommend duracell and that's probably the best way to go.

Chain
09-08-2022, 12:17 AM
Are Duracell wafer-format batteries better than their AA/AAA type? For me it seemed that in the cylinder-format they are prone to leak acid earlier than Energizer.

Thinking out loud, that may have been all alkaline ... maybe lithium is a different story?

Paul Blackburn
09-08-2022, 03:25 AM
Cowan’s white paper tracks battery failures. Last I checked, Duracell had the lowest failure rate, so all I run is Duracell.

I looked at his white paper but didn't see the battery evaluations?

BK14
09-08-2022, 03:52 AM
I looked at his white paper but didn't see the battery evaluations?

I’m not seeing an individual tracking, just a general statement of his tracking:

Page 17 of this (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/files-156/Miniaturized20Red20Dot20Systems20for20Duty20Handgu n20Use2028129.pdf) edition states:

“It is worth noting that multiple battery failures occurred during testing on multiple MRDS, however all noted battery failures were with Energizer and Sony brand batteries and each failure was well before the quoted battery life of the optic they were mounted in. Duracell brand batteries have only failed when charge was exhausted to date.”

JAD
09-08-2022, 05:38 AM
Are Duracell wafer-format batteries better than their AA/AAA type? For me it seemed that in the cylinder-format they are prone to leak acid earlier than Energizer.

Thinking out loud, that may have been all alkaline ... maybe lithium is a different story?

You got it right— very different products both in chemistry and format. I don’t know how it’s done, but I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that they use subcons for either or both product lines.

Super77
09-08-2022, 09:18 AM
Looks like Duracell has medical device line too. I wonder what the differences are between standard, procell, and medical.

Paul Blackburn
09-09-2022, 08:54 AM
So it looks like the batteries of choice are:

Coin Style batteries it’s Duracell

CR123 it’s Panasonic

AA & AAA it’s Energizer

ssb
09-10-2022, 07:17 AM
The child-safe Duracells with the bitter coating will not power my RMR. They do work in my H1, T2, and P2.

SoCalDep
09-12-2022, 08:48 PM
The child-safe Duracells with the bitter coating will not power my RMR. They do work in my H1, T2, and P2.

That’s odd because they power all three of mine as well as maybe 20 or more I’ve installed.

LtDave
09-14-2022, 06:19 PM
IME the best PMO batteries are Renata. They’re a Swiss brand but easily available via Amazon.

2nd choice Duracell.

3rd - Energizer.

IME the difference between these 3 is battery life with Renata providing the longest.

I bought Renatas from Amazon. Picture in the listing showed Swiss Made. Batteries I received were made in China. I’ve got them in a couple of red dots now, working fine but not long enough to test their longevity.

JAD
09-14-2022, 06:31 PM
I bought Renatas from Amazon. Picture in the listing showed Swiss Made. Batteries I received were made in China. I’ve got them in a couple of red dots now, working fine but not long enough to test their longevity.

Some of their stuff is made in CH, some in PRC. 2032s are a commodity and they probably make them all in the worker's paradise.

JonInWA
09-15-2022, 07:17 AM
Thanks to the information in this thread, just got a shipment of Duracell 1632s as replacements, and will run them as my default choice forward.

Best, Jon

ViniVidivici
08-03-2023, 02:25 PM
So I take it the concensus is Duracell is best?

I've now run cheap chinesium, Panasonic, and Duracell. Each has gone right at 4 months of daily use, setting 8-10 (Swampfox Justice).

The Duracell is, so far, going longer past the low battery indicator (other 2 were 5 days, this one's still going at 8 days past).

Energizer possibly any better? Or is Duracell the top?

Archer1440
08-03-2023, 03:11 PM

You have to scratch the coating off to make it work in some lower current applications. Hit both sides of the cell with green Scotchbrite and it solves the continuity problem.

Street Survival
08-08-2023, 04:39 PM
For 2032 I only use Maxell made in Japan.

TWR
08-11-2023, 06:25 AM
I bought a new Aimpoint H2 this week, it arrived Wednesday and I installed the Aimpoint supplied Duracell 2032. Picked up the gun last night and no dot. I replaced it with a Renata and dot is on again. Just goes to show that nothing is infallible and that’s why I have extra batteries stashed here and there.

I pulled the battery and put it on my tester. At first it showed good but quickly started falling. Might be a little nervous that the sight is drawing too much but time will tell. My wife is a diabetic and wears an insulin pump, we have been shocked at how many bad batteries come straight out of the package. Duracell and Energizer lithium both.

cosermann
08-15-2023, 03:49 PM
I've seen at least one review/test in which Energizer batteries failed under recoil, and Duracell was recommended.
I can't point to it right now, but if you google around you might find it.

Trigger
08-15-2023, 04:27 PM

I had this problem with child-safe Duracells in Apple AirTags. I called Duracell customer service, they explained that they updated the bitter coating to one the does not degrade it battery performance. They sent me free replacements for the six I purchased. I would not recommend scratching off the coating, just ask for the upgraded ones.

Archer1440
08-20-2023, 06:16 PM
Well, I just switched to Duracell's industrial line (Procell) for CR2032's. No coating removal needed.

Besides NOT being saddled with the coating, they have the added benefit of as much as an extra 40 mAh capacity (265 mAh) vs regular commercial Duracells (225-230 mAh depending on country of origin) as well as a slightly wider service temperature range, and if you have a business account with an industrial supply such as Grainger, they work out to about the same price.

ViniVidivici
08-22-2023, 09:31 AM
Is there a Procell cr1632? Searched, didnt find one.

Archer1440
08-22-2023, 08:24 PM
Is there a Procell cr1632? Searched, didnt find one.

There is not. The Duracell Procell line is focused on sizes commonly used in critical and industrial applications, and the 1632 is not generally used in those applications.

For this type of battery, the line is limited to the 20XX series of cells.

DMF13
08-22-2023, 08:56 PM
I've seen at least one review/test in which Energizer batteries failed under recoil, and Duracell was recommended.
I can't point to it right now, but if you google around you might find it.
I have seen at least one video where Scott Jedlinski said Energized batteries have problems, and that he prefers Duracell. I don't recall the reasons given.

ViniVidivici
08-22-2023, 09:39 PM
There is not. The Duracell Procell line is focused on sizes commonly used in critical and industrial applications, and the 1632 is not generally used in those applications.

For this type of battery, the line is limited to the 20XX series of cells.

Thank you good sir. Sounds like standard Duracell is mostly the consensus. Will stick with then until further research indicates otherwise.

Using 3 per year is still fairly cheap I guess!

Archer1440
08-22-2023, 11:56 PM
Thank you good sir. Sounds like standard Duracell is mostly the consensus. Will stick with then until further research indicates otherwise.

Using 3 per year is still fairly cheap I guess!

Likely cheaper than one mag of one’s carry ammo, I would think.